Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum

Go down 
+8
Lori
AdIngalls
LIWnut
MissOleson
Krissy
bethandmanly
LauraIngallsfan
Rhonda
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21171
Mood : Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 Purple2

Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum   Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 27, 2016 10:27 pm

From Laura Ingalls Wilder Historic Home and Museum:

There are many details and ongoing projects underway to finish needed work on the new museum building at Rocky Ridge Farm. One of them is the installation of a handsome sign. The photo shows Highway A, formerly known as Highway 60. The building to the left is a rock house built by the Wilders in 1928, for use as a tenant home. On the hill, you see the Wilder farm house. With good weather, this week will bring installation of a parking lot in front of the museum. For a while, it seemed that we could not afford a safe and clean-cut parking area; the Association was without funds to proceed. To the rescue came our good friends and supporters from Wisconsin, the Meade family. Siblings David Meade and Marilyn Meade contributed funds to enable construction of a parking lot, sooner rather than later. The Meades made this and an earlier gift in memory of their dear mother, Charlotte, an avid reader and admirer of the books by Laura Ingalls Wilder. The Association is very grateful indeed for this generous help.

Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 1013346_1042683905794662_7426516875989320794_n

Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 Rhonda10Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

PostSubject: Re: Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum   Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 30, 2016 12:48 pm

Laura Ingalls Wilder Historic Home and Museum

Friday, April 22 is the dedication day of the new Laura Ingalls Wilder Museum at Rocky Ridge Farm! Tours of the new facility, the Wilder Home and the Rock House will be offered as usual, and from 2-4 p.m. this momentous official opening will be celebrated. There will be music--Pa's fiddle will be played--a ribbon cutting, comments, and special appearances of those close to the project. This is your invitation. Do join us on this day when new history will be made at the home of the Wilder family.

Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 12931051_1045306092199110_2261948741703706432_n

Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 Rhonda10Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 Lauram10
Back to top Go down
LauraIngallsfan
"Psalm 73"
Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 MatthewRank
LauraIngallsfan

Number of posts : 9265
Mood : Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 Happy010

PostSubject: Re: Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum   Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 30, 2016 9:21 pm

I wish I was close enough to go!

“I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.”  - Laura Ingalls Wilder

Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 Laurai10
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/mylittlehouselibrary/
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

PostSubject: Re: Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum   Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 01, 2016 10:38 am

"The question has been asked: does the Wilder Home have a bookstore/giftshop? Yes, we do, and mail orders are available. Check out www.lauraingallswilderhome.com to learn all about the books, souvenirs, clothing, DVDs and CDs--and more--available for Little House readers."

Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 12928138_1046783488718037_503362423809571025_n

Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

PostSubject: Re: Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum   Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 14, 2016 10:08 am

We are a week away from Dedication Day of the new museum on Rocky Ridge Farm, home of the Wilders. Friday, April 22 is the date, from 2-4. There will be a ribbon cutting at the entrance and a program in the tent on the grounds. Pam Smith Hill will speak, Pa's fiddle will be played, and other remarks will be made. There is no charge for this program. 2016 rates for the Rocky Ridge Farm experience are: $14 per adult (18 and over); $7 per child (6-14;.under 6, no charge. This entitles visitors to unlimited time in the museum, an orientation film, a guided tour of the Wilder house, a guided tour of the Rock House, use of the trails,viewing the operating hen house; the orchard, the ravine and the Ozark scenery Laura and Almanzo so loved.

Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 12961710_1054553907940995_1834790132276717388_n

Back to top Go down
reneerose
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
reneerose

Number of posts : 52

PostSubject: Re: Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum   Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 14, 2016 10:47 am

Would love to visit here some day! Have always been meaning to do a LIW pilgrimage.
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

PostSubject: Re: Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum   Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 15, 2016 4:15 pm

"A beautiful parking lot and pathway to the historic Wilder home! This was enabled by a gift from the Meades, in memory of their mother. We appreciate all the donors who helped make this museum a reality."

Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 12592380_1055496514513401_4818934488095694273_n

Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

PostSubject: Re: Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum   Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2016 1:11 pm

TODAY IS THE DAY! I am on my way over to hopefully enjoy some Laura Ingalls Wider History. I say, 'hopefully' because it is FULL springtime here in the Ozarks, and all the pollen and mold count is ridiculously high, and I have had the worst headache for the past 3 days from all the pressure. I go to bed with a headache and wake up with it. I'm not sure how long I'll stay; it is only for 2 hours, but with the bright sun and wind out, that will determine my visit. I sure wish more of you were closer so we could meet each other and enjoy the bond that we all have through this marvelous woman! Wish me luck!
Thumbsup

Rhonda wrote:

We are a week away from Dedication Day of the new museum on Rocky Ridge Farm, home of the Wilders. Friday, April 22 is the date, from 2-4. There will be a ribbon cutting at the entrance and a program in the tent on the grounds. Pam Smith Hill will speak, Pa's fiddle will be played, and other remarks will be made. There is no charge for this program. 2016 rates for the Rocky Ridge Farm experience are: $14 per adult (18 and over); $7 per child (6-14;.under 6, no charge. This entitles visitors to unlimited time in the museum, an orientation film, a guided tour of the Wilder house, a guided tour of the Rock House, use of the trails,viewing the operating hen house; the orchard, the ravine and the Ozark scenery Laura and Almanzo so loved.

Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 12961710_1054553907940995_1834790132276717388_n

Back to top Go down
LauraIngallsfan
"Psalm 73"
LauraIngallsfan

PostSubject: Re: Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum   Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2016 5:31 pm

Sounds like a lot of fun! I wish I could have gone!

“I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.”  - Laura Ingalls Wilder

Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

PostSubject: Re: Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum   Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2016 5:59 pm

Bliss I MADE IT! I MADE IT!  I will be posting my adventure soon, I hope......along with pictures.....

Back to top Go down
LauraIngallsfan
"Psalm 73"
LauraIngallsfan

PostSubject: Re: Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum   Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2016 6:47 pm

Please do! I can't wait to hear how it was!

Back to top Go down
LIWnut
Proverbs 3:5-6
LIWnut

Number of posts : 2539
Mood : Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 Cloud910

PostSubject: Re: Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum   Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 25, 2016 1:02 pm

Why do I keep looking for the "like" button???
Rhonda, we can't wait to hear about your time on Saturday. I have some other friends who make it there too so between all of you, I can feel a little like I was there too.

Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 MarilynKeeper Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 Bookclub2
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

PostSubject: Re: Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum   Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 27, 2016 3:56 pm

Sorry it took so long to post about my day at Laura Ingalls Wilder's Rocky Ridge Farm, but many of the pictures that I took had turned side-ways and I wanted to make sure they were upright, and that took a while to fix.....

The dedication and ribbon cutting started at 2:00 pm in front of the museum.  There was a nice crowd of people there, and I even talked with some who were vacationing from Minnesota and were so excited to find out their trip coincided with the museum dedication.  Talk about luck! I was a bit late, and after getting parked and walking from the parking lot to where things were happening, I missed the actual ribbon cutting.  I did hear a young man singing, "Bless This House" and it was really a nice touch.  This same young man sang a medley of 'Parlor Songs' songs that he said we might've heard Laura, Almanzo and their guests singing in their home.

I walked through Laura and Almanzo home while waiting for the program to start at 3:00 under the tent.  It was a really nice day, with the exception of all the blooms, pollen and bees...I took a few pictures, then went over to find a seat for the program.  As you can see from the program, we were to hear Pa's fiddle being played by  Junior Marriott, but it was announced that there would be no fiddle playing because of emergency heart surgery, so please keep that man in your thoughts and prayers.

Author William Anderson was there to tell us the History of the Association, and then we were treated to him reading some of the letters from his recent book, "Letters to and from Laura Ingalls Wilder. He has such a love for Laura, and you could really tell it in his readings.

Next, we got to see Author Pamela Smith Hill as she told us how Laura had influenced her life to become a writer. Pamela is the author of Pioneer Girl: An Annotated Edition, and she read many parts from her book as well.  As with William Anderson, you could tell how much she loved and adored Laura, the life she lived and the books she wrote. She had a power point of pictures to show us, but apparently the internet service is hit and miss at the farm, and they couldn't get it to work.

After the program under the tent, I walked around and took more pictures, then walked down the path to the museum.  We weren't 'allowed' to take any pictures in the museum, but I 'clicked' a couple anyways....  
ShyGirl

Ribbon cutting and news report from local news station: Dedication in News

I will put a small description above some of the pictures, others pretty much explain themselves.

Program for Grand Opening
Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 13081596_1017531135001486_1306815015_n
Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 13115305_1017532218334711_2103594726_nKeeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 13045520_1017532198334713_1535649914_nKeeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 13084225_1017532191668047_964209709_n

Sign outside of museum, near the highway.
Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 Img_0221

Plaque just inside the museum door.
Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 Img_0243

Midway between the farm house and the museum.  Picture taken in front yard.
Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 Img_0210

Museum from parking lot.
Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 Img_0217

Front view of museum from parking lot.
Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 Img_0219

Weather Vane on top of museum. Of course it is of a horse, Almanzo's favorite.

Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 Img_0216

William Anderson reading from his book, "Letters to and from Laura Ingalls Wilder"
Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 Img_0249

Pamela Smith Hill telling us about her book, "Pioneer Girl: An Annotated Edition"
Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 Img_0250

Plaque between the farm house and the place that used to house the museum.
Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 Img_0245

Plaque in front of the farm house.
Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 Img_0251

Plaque just inside the screen porch of the farm house before you enter for tour.
Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 Img_0256

This view faces the highway that goes passed the house. This would be the side of the house.
Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 Img_0231

Corner view of house and front door of farm house.
Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 Img_0225

Spring in bloom at the farm.
Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 Img_0222

Front view of farm house.
Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 Img_0253

Front door of farm house.  This door faces down to the new museum. Laura called the big windows on either side, her picture frames to the world.
Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 Img_0254

A replica of the hen house Laura and Almanzo had, located next to what used to be the curator's home/museum.
Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 Img_0255

Apple orchard; more trees being added to have as many as Laura and Almanzo had.  Orchard located near the highway, a little ways from in front of the hen house.
Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 Img_0227

What used to be where the curator lived before the farm became a tourist attraction.  It became the museum for many years later.
Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 Img_0233

The mail box that used to stand out on the road; Laura received many letters from her young readers here.
Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 Img_0257

Pa's Fiddle....I *really* wanted to hear this played, will have to come back on one of their special days; Wilder Days, Fiddle Days, etc.
Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 Img_0259Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 Img_0258

The Rock House Rose Wilder Lane had built for her folks. Almanzo and Laura lived there from 1928-1936.  They moved back to the farm house after Rose moved to Connecticut, stating they were, 'homesick'.  Read more about this modern day house here -----> Rock House Information
Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 Img_0260
Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 Img_0262
Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 Img_0261

Whew

Back to top Go down
LauraIngallsfan
"Psalm 73"
LauraIngallsfan

PostSubject: Re: Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum   Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 27, 2016 5:27 pm

VERY nice, thanks for sharing all the pictures, Rhonda!

Back to top Go down
Lori
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Lori

Number of posts : 6032

PostSubject: Re: Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum   Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 28, 2016 10:09 am

So glad you got to go. Thanks for sharing.

Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 Lorike10
Back to top Go down
LIWnut
LIWnut

PostSubject: Re: Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum   Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 28, 2016 3:03 pm

Rhonda, what will they do with the old museum?

Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 MarilynKeeper Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 Bookclub2
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

PostSubject: Re: Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum   Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 28, 2016 5:03 pm

LIWnut wrote:
Rhonda, what will they do with the old museum?

OH, I meant to post that in the original post....They say they are eventually going to tear it down and use the land in the way Laura and Almanzo had used it; maybe they had a garden there, not sure. They are wanting to make the main Rocky Ridge Farm as close to the way it was when the Wilders' lived there as they can.

Thumbsup

Back to top Go down
LIWnut
LIWnut

PostSubject: Re: Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum   Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 29, 2016 12:53 pm

A naughty visitor disobeyed the no video rule and filmed inside the museum.

Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

PostSubject: Re: Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum   Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 EmptySat Apr 30, 2016 1:45 pm

Laura Ingalls Wilder Historic Home and Museum:

"Here is a nice summary of the dedication ceremony at the new Wilder Museum. Thanks for KSMU for such good coverage."

Click here----> New Museum Showcases Life of Laura Ingalls Wilder

Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

PostSubject: Re: Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum   Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 EmptySat May 28, 2016 8:11 am

Eleven species of native wildflowers and four of native grasses have been planted in front of the new museum building. Bulk of the labor was donated by the Vocational-Ag students from Mansfield High School. We are appreciative of their support. Now a final planting is needed to finish this project, which will be a great finishing touch for the museum. Labor costs are $30 per hour, and more plants need to be purchased. Does anyone have an interest in helping to "adopt" this project? Any contributions will be so helpful. If you can, please mark your contribution as designated for the "Museum Landscape Project".

Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 13310346_1080753278654391_8600590386716334809_n

Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

PostSubject: Re: Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum   Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 24, 2016 12:55 pm

"The former curators' home, built in 1963 with help from Rose Wilder Lane, has been removed. This structure most recently served as bookstore and office space, which are now moved to the new museum. This demolition is a first step in returning the Wilder home locale to its original appearance. Thanks to board member Tim Hancock for donating services to make this positive development possible. The smaller storage unit will also be removed."

Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 14721586_1190708140992237_1546160079271128694_nKeeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 14642301_1190708197658898_7683352763411761153_n

"There are often admiring comments on the red maple tree. It was grown from seed on Rose Wilder Lane's property in Danbury, CT. In 1963 the seedling was moved and planted on this spot. Removal of the curators' home showcases the tree to better advantage. Although Mrs. Lane sent more vegetation for transplanting, this is the only known surviving example."
Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 14702367_1190714720991579_4112919132952050716_n

Back to top Go down
LauraIngallsfan
"Psalm 73"
LauraIngallsfan

PostSubject: Re: Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum   Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 24, 2016 5:17 pm

That looks so much nicer! Are they planning on removing the old museum too?

And what is that building that looks kind of like a shed in that picture?

Now I need to go back and see it again now that they are bringing it back to be more like it was when Laura was there!

Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

PostSubject: Re: Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum   Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 24, 2016 5:48 pm

I'm not sure what they will do with the old museum.....I am assuming they will tear it down as well. It sits right next to the farm house. It might be used for storage right now. That shed is coming down as well, as stated in the post above. When I was there for the grand opening of the new museum, they mentioned taking the former curators' home down. Also mentioned planting apple trees where the original orchard once was. Many trees had been planted when I was there.
scratchead

Back to top Go down
LauraIngallsfan
"Psalm 73"
LauraIngallsfan

PostSubject: Re: Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum   Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 24, 2016 6:31 pm

Thumbsup I'm really glad they are doing this!

Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

PostSubject: Re: Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum   Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 31, 2016 12:25 pm

How cool is this?  Laura's Rock House voted home of the week from the newspaper in Springfield, MO!  
Read here----> News Article

'A hearty thanks to the Springfield NEWS-LEADER for taking these amazing photos of the Rock House! It was just about 88 years ago that the construction project was coming to a close on this architectural treasure.'

Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 636129023686273670-Wilder-House-113903

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum   Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Keeping up w/LIW Historic Home and Museum
Page 4 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next