Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Charlotte Stewart

Go down 
+8
Honeybee
Praire Girl
littlehouselover
Kamberley
LIWnut
Krissy
Vanesa
Davetucson
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

Number of posts : 9374
Mood : Charlotte Stewart Bokmal10

Charlotte Stewart Empty
PostSubject: Charlotte Stewart   Charlotte Stewart EmptySat Jun 30, 2012 9:23 am

‘Miss Beadle’ to visit Walnut Grove

June 30, 2012

Actress Charlotte Stewart has worked with the likes of Kevin Bacon, Jimmy Stewart and Elvis Presley.

But it was a four-year stint on a widely popular television show that most people associate her with.

Stewart, who played teacher Miss Beadle on the television series "Little House on the Prairie" will be in Walnut Grove on Saturday-Sunday July 14-15.

The actress recalled the time nearly 40 years ago when she auditioned for "Little House." Stewart said she had worked with Michael Landon, who portrayed Charles Ingalls, before on "Bonanza," but she figured he wouldn't remember her.

But she made an impression at her audition for the role.

When Stewart walked into the waiting area for the auditions, there were already five other women vying for the role.

"They were all dressed in period costumes," she said. Stewart didn't dress like the rest of her fellow auditioners, but that didn't bother her.

Stewart entered the audition room and was in front of Landon, three producers and a casting director.

"The scene I was reading was the first day the girls (Mary and Laura) came to school," Stewart said.

Stewart made a daring move in asking one of the producers if he would mind terribly if she could sit in his chair to do the lines. He gave her the go-ahead. They read the first scene where the kids were chuckling at Mary and Laura.

"I admonished them to be quiet," Stewart said.

Stewart didn't realize "Little House" was going to be a series.

"I thought it would be a TV movie," Stewart said. So she was surprised when she was offered a four-year contract.

She was only given the four-year contract because in real life, when Laura meets her husband-to-be, Almanzo, Almanzo's sister, Eliza Jane, is the teacher.

Stewart remembers meeting Melissa Gilbert and Melissa Sue Anderson, who played Laura and Mary, in their earliest days on the show.

"Little bitty sweethearts," Stewart said. "Halfpint had buck teeth and the sweetest smile," Stewart said. "Missy was just plain lovely."

Stewart believes the reason that the show continues to endure today is because of the values.

"There was always a story for the adults as well as for the children and it played for real," she said. "It was a 'shot 'em" western. It was a story of true hardship and perseverance for a young family in the Midwest. They were hardworking as well as joyful."

This year, Stewart is traveling around to the Laura Ingalls Wilder related sites. Besides Walnut Grove, she's going to Missouri and New York later this year.

"This year, I seem to make more appearances," she said. "I love meeting people. Everybody's so nice."

For her appearances, Stewart does a spelling bee for the kids and also brings along a coloring book for them.

As for the woman she portrayed, Stewart said she's familiar with Eva Bedal (Beadle).

"I have a picture of her here, I think of her quite often," Stewart said.

Stewart hasn't been acting much in the last few years but has had small roles on "The Office" and "Cold Case." One of her most recent acting jobs was a short film "Where's My Sandwich," with Ron Howard's father, Rance.

"I had a ball," Stewart said. "It's so good to be back in front of a camera." She said the film is just 18 minutes long is about an older couple who are starting to lose their memory.

Stewart's also heading to Los Angeles in September for the 30th anniversary reunion of "The Waltons."

"I was in their very, very first episode," she said.

Stewart has a home business where she makes shopping bags out of pet food bags. They're very popular, she said.

"I find it very satisfying to do that," she said.

She also makes patchwork bags with photos of Miss Beadle on them to raise money for breast cancer. Stewart is a 21-year survivor of breast cancer. She brings the "Beadle Bags" to flea markets and sales around Napa.

Stewart said that Alison Arngrim, who portrayed Nellie on the "Little House" series, said it best when she said "aren't we the luckiest people in the world? We make people happy when they meet us." Stewart calls Arngrim one of her best friends.

"She's a doll," Stewart said
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136

Charlotte Stewart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Charlotte Stewart   Charlotte Stewart EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 11:32 pm

Thanks for the article, David... I really like Charlotte Stewart as a person. And of course, Miss Beadle was one of my favorite characters in LHOTP. I was quite sad when she didn't return to Walnut Grove and we had Mrs Garvey to replace her... grinsmiley

Vanesa.

Charlotte Stewart Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45733
Mood : Charlotte Stewart Headac10

Charlotte Stewart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Charlotte Stewart   Charlotte Stewart EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 10:01 am

Thumbsup She seems like a lovely person

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
LIWnut
Proverbs 3:5-6
LIWnut

Number of posts : 2539
Mood : Charlotte Stewart Cloud910

Charlotte Stewart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Charlotte Stewart   Charlotte Stewart EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 6:06 pm

I will be in WG to see Charlotte. I have met her before and she is a wonderful lady. She personally saved a Beadle Bag for me in Keystone before she set the rest of her stock for sale and let me choose the one I liked best. I am so glad that I will be able to see her again, can't wait.

Charlotte Stewart MarilynKeeper Charlotte Stewart Bookclub2
Back to top Go down
Kamberley
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
Kamberley

Number of posts : 628
Mood : Charlotte Stewart Indiff10

Charlotte Stewart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Charlotte Stewart   Charlotte Stewart EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 4:44 pm

Oh no, I will be on vacation in Kentucky when this is happening. I don't live that far from Walnut Grove, I would have gone.
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Charlotte Stewart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Charlotte Stewart   Charlotte Stewart EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 12:34 am

Do you ever visited Walnut Grove, Kamberley? Smile

Vanesa

Back to top Go down
Kamberley
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
Kamberley

Charlotte Stewart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Charlotte Stewart   Charlotte Stewart EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 10:19 am

I have not been to Walnut Grove yet, I have been to the Burr Oak Iowa Museum. My MIL is the other LHotP fan & she lives in CA so I'm waiting to go with her. Smile
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45733
Mood : Charlotte Stewart Headac10

Charlotte Stewart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Charlotte Stewart   Charlotte Stewart EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 10:21 am

sounds nice Thumbsup

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Charlotte Stewart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Charlotte Stewart   Charlotte Stewart EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 12:25 am

How did you like Burr Oak, Iowa? I've read a booklet about it and it sounds a pretty nice place...

Vanesa. Smile

Back to top Go down
Kamberley
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
Kamberley

Charlotte Stewart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Charlotte Stewart   Charlotte Stewart EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 12:52 am

It's nice. I'm a bigger fan of the show than the history of the family but I'd like to go again when they do Laura Days.
Back to top Go down
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
littlehouselover

Number of posts : 1056

Charlotte Stewart Empty
PostSubject: Charlotte Stewart   Charlotte Stewart EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 7:46 am

Karen Grassle mentioned this web site of Charlotte's. She makes personalized items. I didn't see it on a search, sorry if it's a double post.

http://www.liquidbutterfly-charlottestewart.com/
Back to top Go down
Praire Girl
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 132

Charlotte Stewart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Charlotte Stewart   Charlotte Stewart EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 1:44 pm

Her prices aren't bad, I used to run and would love someone to make a quilt with old tee shirts, but that would be expensive. I will have to look into the pillow or tote more when I have time.
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Charlotte Stewart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Charlotte Stewart   Charlotte Stewart EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 11:51 pm

Why, I didn't know about this site, but I liked it very much...Thanks for posting! Thumbsup

Vanesa.

Back to top Go down
Honeybee
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Honeybee

Number of posts : 3565

Charlotte Stewart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Charlotte Stewart   Charlotte Stewart EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 12:19 am

Never saw that site. Her stuff is cool.

wootwoot
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600

Charlotte Stewart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Charlotte Stewart   Charlotte Stewart EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 2:20 pm

Some of my friends have bought from Charlotte. I'm glad to see she's keeping busy.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
littlehouselover

Number of posts : 1056

Charlotte Stewart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Charlotte Stewart   Charlotte Stewart EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 5:41 pm

Were they pleased with the results? She seems to want to work with you so you're happy.
Back to top Go down
LIWnut
LIWnut

Number of posts : 2539
Mood : Charlotte Stewart Cloud910

Charlotte Stewart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Charlotte Stewart   Charlotte Stewart EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 6:57 pm

I have a Beadle Bag with a pic of Charlotte, MSA and MG out in front of the schoolhouse. She was only too happy to sign it for me when I met her in Keystone in 2009. My friend from Austrailian bought a bag from Charlotte and then framed it with the letter that accompanied it.

Charlotte Stewart MarilynKeeper Charlotte Stewart Bookclub2
Back to top Go down
Praire Girl
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 132

Charlotte Stewart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Charlotte Stewart   Charlotte Stewart EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 11:07 pm

That was nice of Karen to mention it, nice interview also. Maybe a Christmas present for someone...hmm
Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

Charlotte Stewart Empty
PostSubject: Charlotte Stewart   Charlotte Stewart EmptyWed Apr 23, 2014 9:53 am

Yesterday, I had a conversation with Charlotte Stewart about the scene below in "School Mom". Many thanks to a wonderful lady for taking the time to talk to me about this scene. It certainly looked like her! See the answer in the stars and trivia thread..........

https://lhotp.editboard.com/t7905p925-david-s-little-house-star-profiles-and-trivia#358777

Charlotte Stewart Patty_14

"Albert, do you REALLY think you are old enough to know what love is?"
"I must be Pa. I love you, I have for a long time."
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62619
Mood : Charlotte Stewart Goodsi10

Charlotte Stewart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Charlotte Stewart   Charlotte Stewart EmptyWed Apr 23, 2014 11:10 am

Wow! How did you happen to have a conversation with her, Dave?  Did that restraining order expire?  Whistle
Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

Charlotte Stewart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Charlotte Stewart   Charlotte Stewart EmptyWed Apr 23, 2014 7:41 pm

Rob wrote:
Wow! How did you happen to have a conversation with her, Dave?  Did that restraining order expire?  Whistle

Very Funny Snowball Breath!!

Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

Charlotte Stewart Empty
PostSubject: Engaged Charlotte Stewart   Charlotte Stewart EmptyMon Jun 22, 2015 7:42 am

Charlotte Is Engaged To Be Married!

Name is Michael Santos. I don't think he's in the business.

Born 5/13/47...and has worked at Eccentric Endeavors, Pandemonium Productions Unlimited, and Star-Struck Extraterrestrial Jewelry.

Charlotte Stewart C10

Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Charlotte Stewart Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428
Mood : Charlotte Stewart Happy010

Charlotte Stewart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Charlotte Stewart   Charlotte Stewart EmptyMon Jun 22, 2015 8:21 am

Love That's so great! You're never too old for love.
Back to top Go down
julmer70
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
julmer70

Number of posts : 3301
Mood : Charlotte Stewart Happy010

Charlotte Stewart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Charlotte Stewart   Charlotte Stewart EmptyMon Jun 22, 2015 8:24 am

There's hope for me yet! laugh3 laugh3 laugh3
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Charlotte Stewart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Charlotte Stewart   Charlotte Stewart Empty

Back to top Go down

Charlotte Stewart
Page 1 of 1