Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Bernard Shaw CNN 1940-2022

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

Number of posts : 9374
Mood : Bernard Shaw CNN 1940-2022 Bokmal10

Bernard Shaw CNN 1940-2022 Empty
PostSubject: Bernard Shaw CNN 1940-2022   Bernard Shaw CNN 1940-2022 EmptyFri Sep 09, 2022 6:41 am

Bernard Shaw, the venerable TV news anchor who helped turn CNN into a powerhouse, has died. He was 82.

Shaw died Wednesday from pneumonia not related to COVID-19, his family said.

Based in Washington, D.C. when CNN launched, Shaw, known as Bernie to friends and colleagues, was the cable news channel’s lead anchor for two decades until his retirement in 2001.

During his tenure, Shaw anchored major breaking news events, like the attempted assassination of President Reagan in 1981, the Tiananmen Square student revolt in 1989 and every presidential election.

But it was his coverage of the Gulf War in 1991 that helped transform CNN’s fortunes, establishing the channel as a news juggernaut. Shaw reported from Baghdad during the war, the first conflict that was broadcast live for the world to see.

“What I strove for was perfection, which was impossible to achieve,” he told NPR in 2014. “If I’m covering a story that’s of particular interest to African-Americans, I want to be certain that I cover that story as thoroughly as possible, as I would any other story. And being African-American, I would be the critic most critical of me if I failed to do the best job possible with that story.”

Bernard Shaw CNN 1940-2022 B_shaw10

"Albert, do you REALLY think you are old enough to know what love is?"
"I must be Pa. I love you, I have for a long time."
Back to top Go down

Bernard Shaw CNN 1940-2022
Page 1 of 1