Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Berry picking?

Go down 
+6
flatbroke
Misti
ChristinaAL
Carol
JW
Savannah
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Berry picking? Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428
Mood : Berry picking? Happy010

Berry picking? Empty
PostSubject: Berry picking?   Berry picking? EmptyTue Aug 21, 2007 11:48 am

Do any of you go out berry picking? I'll be heading out to pick Elderberries this evening after work. . . . which may not be the greatest idea in the world, because everything is wet and slippery right now. (We actually had beautiful, steady rain all weekend!!) The only really good patch of Elderberries around here is down a steep slope - BUT, it's going to rain all week, and the berries need to be picked this week. Next week they'll be too ripe. So if I come by to visit tomorrow, and am all stained, bruised and have a broken part or two........you'll know why. :Hahaha: I may have a story of action . . . and adventure!! :haha:

So , does anyone else here like picking berries?
Back to top Go down
JW
Isaiah Edwards
Isaiah Edwards
JW

Number of posts : 9016
Mood : Berry picking? Happy011

Berry picking? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Berry picking?   Berry picking? EmptyTue Aug 21, 2007 11:53 am

Have fun we went strawberry pickin it was ok

Berry picking? Jacobk10Berry picking? Jacob210
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665

Berry picking? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Berry picking?   Berry picking? EmptyTue Aug 21, 2007 12:06 pm

I have never been. Here is a song you can sing while you pick them though. grinsmiley

Berry picking? Horses10
Back to top Go down

Berry picking? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Berry picking?   Berry picking? EmptyTue Aug 21, 2007 12:14 pm

We went Black Berry picking last month. We picked 10
1 gallon containers full. I freeze them till Thankgiving and Christmas.grinsmiley
Back to top Go down
ChristinaAL
Little House Lady
Little House Lady
ChristinaAL

Number of posts : 2761

Berry picking? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Berry picking?   Berry picking? EmptyTue Aug 21, 2007 12:19 pm

I've never been berry picking, although I'd like to sometime.

Can't wait to hear of your adventure, Savannah! :haha:

Berry picking? ChristinaKeeper2 Berry picking? 10bChristina

"It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong."
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

Berry picking? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Berry picking?   Berry picking? EmptyTue Aug 21, 2007 12:34 pm

Susie!! I'm so impressed! That's an amazing amount of work, to pick TEN one gallon containers of blackberries. Did all of your boys help out with that?

Elderberries are tiny, tiny berries........sort of like the size of one of the "bumps" on a blackberry. LOL!! But they make an elixir that is absolutely awesome in helping to prevent the flu. And it makes a pretty good pie, too. grinsmiley

Christina......I'm kind of hoping for a relatively boring berry-picking venture! LOL!! I can see it now..........I'm picking berries, happily singing the song that Carol has planted in my head, and suddenly, I find myself tumbling head-long down a slippery berry-lined slope: "An old straw hat, a pair of overAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALL..." :sing: stars :Hahaha:

(Carol, I LOVE that movie!)
Back to top Go down

Berry picking? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Berry picking?   Berry picking? EmptyTue Aug 21, 2007 12:48 pm

Savannah wrote:
Susie!! I'm so impressed! That's an amazing amount of work, to pick TEN one gallon containers of blackberries. Did all of your boys help out with that?

Yes all the boys helped. We went with my dad. My dad has lots I mean lots of black berry bushes around his pond. Plus a neighbor said we could pick off his land. The boys was so excited to go. I thought the 1st day or two but they loved every minute of it. They each had their own little basket. So this winter they will help me do some baking.grinsmiley I wish BB picking was longer. It seemed they all went away before we knew it.

Good luck with your berry picking.happy1
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

Berry picking? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Berry picking?   Berry picking? EmptyTue Aug 21, 2007 12:51 pm

The berries do seem to go away too quickly! That's why I'm going out tonight even though it's raining. I won't melt. grinsmiley :rainy: (Not sweet enough for that! :Hahaha: )

That's great that your boys enjoyed it so much. And come winter, they'll be able to remember all that fun all over again when they help bake goodies with the berries!
Back to top Go down

Berry picking? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Berry picking?   Berry picking? EmptyTue Aug 21, 2007 1:00 pm

I did a long time ago
Back to top Go down
Misti
Red Hummingbird
Red Hummingbird
Misti

Number of posts : 4112

Berry picking? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Berry picking?   Berry picking? EmptyTue Aug 21, 2007 1:58 pm

Savannah wrote:

Elderberries are tiny, tiny berries........sort of like the size of one of the "bumps" on a blackberry. LOL!! But they make an elixir that is absolutely awesome in helping to prevent the flu. And it makes a pretty good pie, too. grinsmiley

Christina......I'm kind of hoping for a relatively boring berry-picking venture! LOL!! I can see it now..........I'm picking berries, happily singing the song that Carol has planted in my head, and suddenly, I find myself tumbling head-long down a slippery berry-lined slope: "An old straw hat, a pair of overAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALL..." :sing: stars :Hahaha:

(Carol, I LOVE that movie!)

Or you can sing to the tune of "George of the Jungle": Savannah, Savannah, Savannah picker of the berries, determined as she can be, aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh...watch out for that slope!

Berry picking? HummerBerry picking? MistiKeeperBerry picking? Bookclub5Berry picking? Rose
"I would fight for you - I'd lie for you - walk the wire for you - ya I'd die for you..."
Back to top Go down
flatbroke
Man of Constant Sorrow
Man of Constant Sorrow
flatbroke

Number of posts : 2648
Mood : Berry picking? Party010

Berry picking? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Berry picking?   Berry picking? EmptyTue Aug 21, 2007 2:00 pm

I haven't picked berries in years. I still know a lot of good spots, but the blackberries have already gone this year. Raspberries can still be found though.
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21172
Mood : Berry picking? Purple2

Berry picking? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Berry picking?   Berry picking? EmptyTue Aug 21, 2007 2:05 pm

flatbroke wrote:
I haven't picked berries in years. I still know a lot of good spots, but the blackberries have already gone this year. Raspberries can still be found though.

Found some for you Larry!!! Berry picking? 36_11_22

Berry picking? Rhonda10Berry picking? Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
flatbroke
Man of Constant Sorrow
Man of Constant Sorrow
flatbroke

Number of posts : 2648
Mood : Berry picking? Party010

Berry picking? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Berry picking?   Berry picking? EmptyTue Aug 21, 2007 2:08 pm

Rhonda wrote:
flatbroke wrote:

10,000 wise-acres out of work, and Rhonda's trying to be one.Wave
Back to top Go down

Berry picking? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Berry picking?   Berry picking? EmptyTue Aug 21, 2007 2:46 pm

Rhonda wrote:
flatbroke wrote:

Where did you find them Rhonda?......Wal-Mart ROTFL
Back to top Go down
Lily
"Beautiful Life"
Berry picking? LilyRank2
Lily

Number of posts : 6784
Mood : Berry picking? Vianne10

Berry picking? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Berry picking?   Berry picking? EmptyTue Aug 21, 2007 5:26 pm

I used to go blackberry picking during my summer camp stay with my dorm mates and our house parent, then she would bake the pies for us.

"Within the heart of every stray, lies the singular desire to be loved."
Back to top Go down
HarrisonCrosby4387
THE #1 Survivor fan
THE #1 Survivor fan
HarrisonCrosby4387

Number of posts : 4828

Berry picking? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Berry picking?   Berry picking? EmptyTue Aug 21, 2007 6:09 pm

Carol wrote:
I have never been. Here is a song you can sing while you pick them though. grinsmiley

Awww!

Yes Savannah, be careful when you go! We don't want to hear of you falling and getting hurt.

Beckie

LETS GO PENS!
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

Berry picking? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Berry picking?   Berry picking? EmptyTue Aug 21, 2007 8:15 pm

Rhonda wrote:
flatbroke wrote:

Rhonda!! You aren't the Smiley Queen for nothin'! :Hahaha:

Carol . . . . you should come pick berries with me! grinsmiley I promise I won't take you to the "monster patch" that I went to tonight. batEyes

I'm back safe and relatively-sound! It was so funny....it stopped raining just after I posted this thread. But just as soon as I got in the vehicle to drive to the berries, it started raining! LOL!! But it was a soft rain, so it was no big deal. I love rain, and we've had so little of it this summer! The birds in the woods by the berries, though........I swear they were laughing at me! They were!! It was as if they were saying "Duh.......even WE know better than to get berries in this weather" . . . and they're bird-brains . . . . so . . .. where does that leave me? (Feel free to ignore that question. :fyi: ) I did end up with four rather large slashes on my leg, so I had to stop picking earlier than I wanted to - but I didn't fall . . . . so Carol, your song didn't end up sounding odd at all. :sing: And I DID think of your song when I was picking berries, too!! Cheer
Back to top Go down
HarrisonCrosby4387
THE #1 Survivor fan
THE #1 Survivor fan
HarrisonCrosby4387

Berry picking? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Berry picking?   Berry picking? EmptyTue Aug 21, 2007 9:00 pm

Lol. Well glad you came back in one piece despite the cuts on your legs. Cool

Beckie

LETS GO PENS!
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

Berry picking? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Berry picking?   Berry picking? EmptyWed Aug 22, 2007 1:11 pm

The cuts ended up being the lesser of two evils, LOL! I was walking through slowly because it's so overgrown in that area of the woods. Well, straight ahead was the second berry patch - but just before THAT, staring me IN THE FACE, was a HUUUUUUGE stand of Willie's "special leaves" . . . . . yep. Poison Ivy. So, I had to take a long way around. My foot slipped on some wet moss, and a broken, skinny tree decided that I was a pretty good target. I had to go back to the vehicle to find something to wrap my leg with, because it wouldn't stop bleeding. *rolls eyes* So next time I head back - probably Saturday - I'll take the southern route into the woods instead, and try to avoid the poison ivy AND the delinquent tree stump.
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665

Berry picking? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Berry picking?   Berry picking? EmptyWed Aug 22, 2007 1:29 pm

Savannah wrote:
[Carol . . . . you should come pick berries with me! grinsmiley I promise I won't take you to the "monster patch" that I went to tonight. batEyes

Well.... even if you don't take me to the 'monster patch' I have a feeling we'll encounter SOMETHING... as long as I'm with you! Laughing

It sounds like a fun time all in all though... and i hope you SANG the song I mentioned. I love that movie too. Thumbsup

Berry picking? Horses10
Back to top Go down
JW
Isaiah Edwards
Isaiah Edwards
JW

Number of posts : 9016

Berry picking? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Berry picking?   Berry picking? EmptyWed Aug 22, 2007 2:18 pm

What is the Movie Call?

Berry picking? Jacobk10Berry picking? Jacob210
Back to top Go down
HarrisonCrosby4387
THE #1 Survivor fan
THE #1 Survivor fan
HarrisonCrosby4387

Berry picking? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Berry picking?   Berry picking? EmptyWed Aug 22, 2007 3:56 pm

"Delinquent tree stump"...ROTFL I'll say!

Beckie

LETS GO PENS!
Back to top Go down
GrandDuchessOlga
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler
GrandDuchessOlga

Number of posts : 404

Berry picking? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Berry picking?   Berry picking? EmptyWed Aug 22, 2007 4:09 pm

I´ve never went out for picking berries. I just read the chapter in Farmer Boy today where they all go out in the forest to pick berries and I thought that it sounded like so much fun. I guess nobody does that here where I live unfortunately

Berry picking? Audrey
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

Berry picking? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Berry picking?   Berry picking? EmptyWed Aug 22, 2007 11:16 pm

That's too bad. . . maybe you could start a new tradition! Cool

I was going to gather some of the Elderberry leaves, because I gather raspberry leaves, and dry them. They make a tea that is better than any that can be found in the store! But, several years ago, a friend and I had taught a mini-class in herbs at MSU during their 4-H week - and I thought that I vaguely remembered something about reading a caution when I had been researching an alphabetically-related herb. I hadn't thoroughly researched the Elderberry leaves, stems or roots for possible toxicity yet, though. So.......I did some research and found that they contain Cyanide. OhMy Enough to cause serious harm (and death!) if enough is consumed. So yeah......I didn't gather leaves. . . . BUT - I did find a fabulous plot for a murder mystery. batEyes Anyone want to come over for tea this evening?
Back to top Go down
ChristinaAL
Little House Lady
Little House Lady
ChristinaAL

Number of posts : 2761

Berry picking? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Berry picking?   Berry picking? EmptyThu Aug 23, 2007 2:07 am

Savannah wrote:
That's too bad. . . maybe you could start a new tradition! Cool

I was going to gather some of the Elderberry leaves, because I gather raspberry leaves, and dry them. They make a tea that is better than any that can be found in the store! But, several years ago, a friend and I had taught a mini-class in herbs at MSU during their 4-H week - and I thought that I vaguely remembered something about reading a caution when I had been researching an alphabetically-related herb. I hadn't thoroughly researched the Elderberry leaves, stems or roots for possible toxicity yet, though. So.......I did some research and found that they contain Cyanide. OhMy Enough to cause serious harm (and death!) if enough is consumed. So yeah......I didn't gather leaves. . . . BUT - I did find a fabulous plot for a murder mystery. batEyes Anyone want to come over for tea this evening?

ROTFL ROTFL
See, you did have some sort of adventure to write about! grinsmiley

And you've inspired me. There is a berry-picking "farm" around here where you do have to pay a fee to get in, but I think I will make plans to head out there next weekend since I'll have an extra day off for the holiday.

But I'm glad your trip was (relatively) harmless and glad that you found out about those leaves before having any more of that tea.

Berry picking? ChristinaKeeper2 Berry picking? 10bChristina

"It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Berry picking? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Berry picking?   Berry picking? Empty

Back to top Go down

Berry picking?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next