Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Toy Containing 'Date-Rape' Drug Pulled

Go down 
+2
ChristinaAL
Vanesa
6 posters
AuthorMessage

Toy Containing 'Date-Rape' Drug Pulled Empty
PostSubject: Toy Containing 'Date-Rape' Drug Pulled   Toy Containing 'Date-Rape' Drug Pulled EmptyThu Nov 08, 2007 10:06 pm

Posted: 2007-11-08 11:53:07
Filed Under: Recalls
WASHINGTON (Nov. 7) - Millions of Chinese-made toys for children have been pulled from shelves in North America and Australia after scientists found they contain a chemical that converts into a powerful date rape drug when ingested. Two children in the U.S. and three in Australia were hospitalized after swallowing the beads.

With only seven weeks until Christmas, the recall is yet another blow to toy industry - already bruised by a slew of recalls this past summer.

In the United States, the toy goes by the name Aqua Dots, a highly popular holiday toy distributed by Toronto-based Spin Master Toys. They are called Bindeez in Australia, where they were named toy of the year at an industry function earlier this year.

It could not immediately be learned whether Aqua Dots beads are made in the same factories as the Bindeez product. Both are sold by Australia-based Moose Enterprises.

The toy beads are sold in general merchandise stores and over the Internet for use in arts and crafts projects. They can be arranged into designs and fused together when sprayed with water.

Scientists say a chemical coating on the beads, when ingested, metabolizes into the so-called date rape drug gamma hydroxy butyrate. When eaten, the compound - made from common and easily available ingredients - can induce unconsciousness, seizures, drowsiness, coma and death.

Naren Gunja from Australia's Poisons Information Center said the drug's effect on children was "quite serious ... and potentially life-threatening."

The recall was announced by the Consumer Product Safety Commission on Wednesday several hours after published reports about the recall in Australia.

The two U.S. children who swallowed Aqua Dot beads went into nonresponsive comas, commission spokesman Scott Wolfson said Wednesday afternoon.

In Australia, the toys were ordered off store shelves on Tuesday when officials learned that a 2-year-old boy and a 10-year-old girl were hospitalized after swallowing the beads. A 19-month-old toddler also was being treated.

The news jolted the toy industry because Aqua Dots has been one of the few bright stars of the toy selling season, which, along with overall retailing, has gotten off to a sluggish start. The item, which had been heavily advertised, had appeared on many toy experts' list of must-have holiday toys, and toy sellers are now in the midst of canceling advertising and scrambling to figure out how to replace it.

Chris Byrne, a New York-based toy consultant, noted that the incidents could have been isolated, and Spin Master may be erring on the side of caution.

"This is something that they could not have foreseen. This is an extremely hot toy. ... It's a little scary," Byrne said.

In a statement, Toys "R" Us Inc., said that it issued on Tuesday a "stop sale" on the entire Spin Master Aqua Dots product line in its North American stores and on its Web site after it learned of the news. "We understand that Spin Master and U.S. regulatory authorities are investigating this product and we have asked Spin Master to fully explain what it believes happened," said the toy seller in a statement.

Meanwhile, a separate recall was announced for 405,000 children's products made in China, most of them toy cars, because of dangerous levels of lead.

The recall includes about 380,000 Pull-Back Action Toy Cars imported by Dollar General Merchandising Inc. of Goodlettsville, Tenn., and 7,500 Dragster and Funny Car toys imported by International Sourcing Ltd. of Springfield, Mo.

Four of the recalled products were imported by Schylling Associates Inc. of Rowley, Mass., including the items Duck Family Collectable Wind-Up Toy, Dizzy Ducks Music Box, "Robot 2000" collectable tin robot and Winnie-the-Pooh Spinning Top. The company recalled another 66,000 spinning tops Aug. 22.

Representatives from Schylling Associates Inc. were not immediately available for comment.

Wednesday's recalls include about 7,200 "Big Red" Wagons imported by Northern Tool & Equipment Co. of Burnsville, Minn. Totaling about 405,700, the recalled children's products all had excessive levels of lead in their surface paint.

Although no illnesses connected to the toy car recall have been reported, lead is toxic if ingested by young children. Children's products found to have more than 0.06 percent lead accessible to users are subject to a recall.

http://money.aol.com/news/articles/_a/toy-containing-date-rape-drug-pulled/20071107211109990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136
Mood : Toy Containing 'Date-Rape' Drug Pulled Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: Toy Containing 'Date-Rape' Drug Pulled   Toy Containing 'Date-Rape' Drug Pulled EmptyThu Nov 08, 2007 11:38 pm

What an awful thing, Rilla! I also read that some lipsticks made in China had plom into them and could cause extreme harm to women using them, for this substance attacks their liver.

However, the fact that they would put these things to a TOY for a CHILD is extremely disgusting. I'm very upset for they world I'm living in.

Here in Argentina, almost all toys and other things are "made in China". It seems that we have no more industry! And I have friends all over the world that said me that a lot of things that are sold in the market, are , in fact, "made in China". I think that people of the world must close themselves to China productions and make their own things, even if they are not so cheap in price.

I think that the only thing that have no price is our own health, and over all things OUR CHILDREN's health. When we purchases cheap things made in Chine, we are playing with fire.

Just wondering... mad :scratch:

Vanesa.

Toy Containing 'Date-Rape' Drug Pulled Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
ChristinaAL
Little House Lady
Little House Lady
ChristinaAL

Number of posts : 2761

PostSubject: Re: Toy Containing 'Date-Rape' Drug Pulled   Toy Containing 'Date-Rape' Drug Pulled EmptyFri Nov 09, 2007 6:40 pm

Vanesa wrote:
What an awful thing, Rilla! I also read that some lipsticks made in China had plom into them and could cause extreme harm to women using them, for this substance attacks their liver.

However, the fact that they would put these things to a TOY for a CHILD is extremely disgusting. I'm very upset for they world I'm living in.

Here in Argentina, almost all toys and other things are "made in China". It seems that we have no more industry! And I have friends all over the world that said me that a lot of things that are sold in the market, are , in fact, "made in China". I think that people of the world must close themselves to China productions and make their own things, even if they are not so cheap in price.

I think that the only thing that have no price is our own health, and over all things OUR CHILDREN's health. When we purchases cheap things made in Chine, we are playing with fire.

Vanesa.

:agree:

Toy Containing 'Date-Rape' Drug Pulled ChristinaKeeper2 Toy Containing 'Date-Rape' Drug Pulled 10bChristina

"It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong."
Back to top Go down
HarrisonCrosby4387
THE #1 Survivor fan
THE #1 Survivor fan
HarrisonCrosby4387

Number of posts : 4828
Mood : Toy Containing 'Date-Rape' Drug Pulled Happy011

PostSubject: Re: Toy Containing 'Date-Rape' Drug Pulled   Toy Containing 'Date-Rape' Drug Pulled EmptyFri Nov 09, 2007 7:00 pm

Since the whole led paint toy thing began, it makes me think it is a terrorist plot. Blue I thought China liked us?

Beckie

LETS GO PENS!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Toy Containing 'Date-Rape' Drug Pulled   Toy Containing 'Date-Rape' Drug Pulled EmptyFri Nov 09, 2007 7:02 pm

MattLabMyLove wrote:
Since the whole led paint toy thing began, it makes me think it is a terrorist plot. Blue I thought China liked us?

Beckie

Wow..I never thought about that...
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665
Mood : Toy Containing 'Date-Rape' Drug Pulled Happy010

PostSubject: Re: Toy Containing 'Date-Rape' Drug Pulled   Toy Containing 'Date-Rape' Drug Pulled EmptyFri Nov 09, 2007 7:11 pm

Wow... that is scary. It kind of makes you think twice about giving a kid a toy gift now with all these recalls happening...

It is scary to see how much of the stuff we have is from China.... look around your house and you will notice all kinds of things from China and this includes food... I guess the importing of goods from China is cheap but we the consumers are ending up paying a high price with our health

I wish that the companies here would take some time to CHECK the imported goods... spend a few dollars.. it's worth it... we could avoid lots of problems in the long run...

Toy Containing 'Date-Rape' Drug Pulled Horses10

Last edited by on Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
EllieJane
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler
EllieJane

Number of posts : 542
Mood : Toy Containing 'Date-Rape' Drug Pulled Scared10

PostSubject: Re: Toy Containing 'Date-Rape' Drug Pulled   Toy Containing 'Date-Rape' Drug Pulled EmptyFri Nov 09, 2007 7:25 pm

I agree Carol.

I heard on the news that when people go into Toy stores they ask to see the stuff NOT made in China, I can understand why...
Back to top Go down
emilyanneoftheprairie
Sid's Girl
Sid's Girl

Number of posts : 3538
Mood : Toy Containing 'Date-Rape' Drug Pulled Happy010

PostSubject: Re: Toy Containing 'Date-Rape' Drug Pulled   Toy Containing 'Date-Rape' Drug Pulled EmptyFri Nov 09, 2007 8:02 pm

thats gross! i agree with you too carol

Toy Containing 'Date-Rape' Drug Pulled Ifyou
I want to be the best, so whatever comes with that, I’ll have to accept. ~Sidney Crosby
Toy Containing 'Date-Rape' Drug Pulled Cute-2
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Toy Containing 'Date-Rape' Drug Pulled   Toy Containing 'Date-Rape' Drug Pulled EmptyFri Nov 09, 2007 8:07 pm

Vanesa wrote:

Vanesa.

i agree 2
Back to top Go down
HarrisonCrosby4387
THE #1 Survivor fan
THE #1 Survivor fan
HarrisonCrosby4387

Number of posts : 4828
Mood : Toy Containing 'Date-Rape' Drug Pulled Happy011

PostSubject: Re: Toy Containing 'Date-Rape' Drug Pulled   Toy Containing 'Date-Rape' Drug Pulled EmptySun Nov 11, 2007 5:52 pm

The government is to greedy wanting money in their pockets, so to get to much stuff imported from other countries instead of the U.S. I have nothing against importing, but they need to be more careful.

Beckie

LETS GO PENS!
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136
Mood : Toy Containing 'Date-Rape' Drug Pulled Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: Toy Containing 'Date-Rape' Drug Pulled   Toy Containing 'Date-Rape' Drug Pulled EmptySun Nov 11, 2007 10:59 pm

Carol is right. We are paying very cheap something that it could be dangerous for our lives, and in the long way, it could be VERY expensive for our health, and even more than expensive, because our health has no price. Blue

Vanesa.

Toy Containing 'Date-Rape' Drug Pulled Vanesa10
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Toy Containing 'Date-Rape' Drug Pulled   Toy Containing 'Date-Rape' Drug Pulled EmptyMon Nov 12, 2007 3:34 am

I agree with Carol and Vanesa.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Toy Containing 'Date-Rape' Drug Pulled   Toy Containing 'Date-Rape' Drug Pulled Empty

Back to top Go down

Toy Containing 'Date-Rape' Drug Pulled
Page 1 of 1