Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Bless All the Dear Children

Go down 
+21
Honeybee
Alice
Shell
Lori
littlehouselover
Pepsi
kermitfan
ChristineLovesLHOTP
amyk
Krissy
Robinsgirl
Kristina
Rhonda
Tigru
Gin
jes9
Docfan
Savannah
georgiagirl1993
bethandmanly
Vanesa
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Pepsi
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
Pepsi

Number of posts : 66

Bless All the Dear Children - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bless All the Dear Children   Bless All the Dear Children - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 5:34 pm

kermitfan wrote:
I didn't think "a breather" would be used in Middle Earth.

Haha, off topic, but I remember thinking that too! It sounded so...colloquial coming from an ork.

I remember the time I knew what happiness was...let the memory live again.
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600
Mood : Bless All the Dear Children - Page 2 Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: Bless All the Dear Children   Bless All the Dear Children - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 1:32 pm

I just watched this episode again last night and I can't tell you how much I can't stand it. I keep thinking if I watch it more, I'll like better. Not happening.

They live in Minnesota, but everyone is walking around with their shirt sleeves rolled up and no coats right before Christmas. Isaiah, who had turned his life around since returning to Walnut Grove, gets into a fight so Almanzo has to leave Rose to save him, allowing his daughter to be kidnapped. I don't think Isaiah ever apologizes to them for what happened. When there is an opportunity toward the end for Isaiah and Laura to spend a few moments alone together, instead of having Isaiah apologize to Laura, they talk about the odd miracle of being led to Samuel because of a bright star. Harriet is well enough to send Nancy presents, but not well enough to come home. Willie and Rachel are talked about, but not seen. And Melissa is wearing way too much makeup.

There were so few Christmas episodes. I wish the last one was more special.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
littlehouselover

Number of posts : 1056

PostSubject: Re: Bless All the Dear Children   Bless All the Dear Children - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 6:20 pm

Being a family show, I was surprised the few Xmas shows they had...most were depressing. I know they would have been very popular..who cares if the plot had to be happy...for Xmas, that would have been fine. : )

Too late now, but it would have a been a great idea for a special 5 years later or so.
Back to top Go down
Lori
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Lori

Number of posts : 6032

PostSubject: Re: Bless All the Dear Children   Bless All the Dear Children - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 22, 2012 8:36 am

I watched it on gmc a week or two ago. Cheryl, I think it is odd too that everyone has there sleeve rolled up. Even if I were a warm winter, it wouldn't be 80+ degrees. Plus when the kids come out of school at the beginning, there are flowers on the bush by the steps.

Bless All the Dear Children - Page 2 Lorike10
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: Bless All the Dear Children   Bless All the Dear Children - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 22, 2012 11:49 am

littlehouselover wrote:
Being a family show, I was surprised the few Xmas shows they had...most were depressing.

That's an interesting point of view. It seems to have been tilted more that way. The Christmas in the pilot was nice and sweet, but in their first Christmas on Plum Creek Laura sells Bunny to buy Ma a stove, and the next one there's a blizzard which leaves one man dead. We don't have another Christmas episode until season 8, which is all the family together, and then this last one that ran after the series was over where Rose was kidnapped and the Carters were worried what kind of Christmas they would have since Almanzo has all their money.

I guess knowing that Laura gets Bunny back later helps to negate the bad feelings there, but the blizzard one there is no rescuing. I always liked when they created shows that displayed the rough conditions pioneers had to survive, but I would have preferred the blizzard not being centered around Christmas. I always thought it would have been great for them to play out on a small scale, the story of The Long Winter.

Back to top Go down
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
littlehouselover

PostSubject: Re: Bless All the Dear Children   Bless All the Dear Children - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 22, 2012 3:56 pm

I agree and I remember the "giving tree" at church and getting packages for presents, magazines, etc.in the books. That would have made a nice 90 minute special, just centering on the Long Winter and how they survived.

I also think a nice, cheesy Christmas show to have yearly, that wasn't sad at all, would be nice...maybe a slight detour, maybe something wouldn't happen, but then it does.

I thought the blizzard Xmas show was the worst, just angst the whole time, who will die, who will almost die, you knew the Ingall's would survive.

I also find it funny that he told Karen Grassle, he didn't want it to be "too rough", the pioneering, but he made the plots of many shows that way, dieing, drugs, alcohol, and other calamities. I think a little rougher living and happier shows might have been a better balance.

Back to top Go down
Shell
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
Shell

Number of posts : 1353
Mood : Bless All the Dear Children - Page 2 Purple2

PostSubject: Re: Bless All the Dear Children   Bless All the Dear Children - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 3:32 pm

Ctree2 I usually watch it at Christmas time, but this year, I decided not to. I watched Christmas At Plumb Creek, Blizzard and A Christmas They Never Forgot.
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45732
Mood : Bless All the Dear Children - Page 2 Headac10

PostSubject: Re: Bless All the Dear Children   Bless All the Dear Children - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 3:59 pm

I watched this again this year! They should have made a better christmas movie.I still not keen on it...Yeah i thought it was very cold in that state

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21164
Mood : Bless All the Dear Children - Page 2 Purple2

PostSubject: Re: Bless All the Dear Children   Bless All the Dear Children - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 5:22 pm

My favorite LH Christmas episode is from the Pilot Movie.....it stuck more closely to the books and was so cute..... Smile

Bless All the Dear Children - Page 2 Rhonda10Bless All the Dear Children - Page 2 Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
Alice
On The African Savanna
On The African Savanna
Alice

Number of posts : 10766
Mood : Bless All the Dear Children - Page 2 Happy010

PostSubject: Re: Bless All the Dear Children   Bless All the Dear Children - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 9:36 pm

That was my favorite Little House Christmas episode too, for the same reason.

Spring is finally here, the lovely pink blooms on the "spray" tree outside my window are gone leaving a beautiful willow.
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: Bless All the Dear Children   Bless All the Dear Children - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 11:58 pm

This discussion about Christmas episodes got me to thinking and I posted my opinions at my blog. You can feel free to check it out at http://lauralittlehouseontheprairie.blogspot.com/2013/01/depressing-lhop-christmas-episodes.html

Back to top Go down
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
littlehouselover

PostSubject: Re: Bless All the Dear Children   Bless All the Dear Children - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 8:03 am

Nice blog, I tend to agree. The first, the movie, was the best. The second, I felt was good, the excitement, but the idea of Mr. Oleson dealing with a 7 year old without her parents permission, seemed a little odd. I know I would have been upset if my child did that, not that she cared so much, but that a seemingly nice man, did that deal with a child for his bratty one. : )

I loved the movie so much, years ago, I bought my girls the tin cups and peppermint stick/penny set a LHOP site sold. They still have one cup on a shelf in their room.
Back to top Go down
Honeybee
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Honeybee

Number of posts : 3565

PostSubject: Re: Bless All the Dear Children   Bless All the Dear Children - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 07, 2013 3:36 pm

I watch this yesterday. It was okay. I like the pilot better, since close to the book.

wootwoot
Back to top Go down
LauraIngallsfan
"Psalm 73"
Bless All the Dear Children - Page 2 MatthewRank
LauraIngallsfan

Number of posts : 9265

PostSubject: Re: Bless All the Dear Children   Bless All the Dear Children - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 02, 2015 2:03 pm

Just watched this episode, I thought it was very nice. The narration in the beginning explained about how it was unusually warm for that time of year, so them walking around in such light clothing didn't surprise me at all. I loved the part where Nancy didn't want to go out to the forest to find a tree, so instead she cut the tree down that was right by the Mercantile - and it fell into the window... on top of Nels!

I also really enjoyed the ending where Laura and Almanzo found Rose... and where that family decided to adopt the orphan boy! What a beautiful ending to the episode!

“I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.”  - Laura Ingalls Wilder

Bless All the Dear Children - Page 2 Laurai10
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/mylittlehouselibrary/
MankatoJoe
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler
MankatoJoe

Number of posts : 419
Mood : Bless All the Dear Children - Page 2 Pbucket

PostSubject: Re: Bless All the Dear Children   Bless All the Dear Children - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 29, 2015 9:01 am

Does anyone know why this film was the last to be aired?
Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

Number of posts : 9374

PostSubject: Re: Bless All the Dear Children   Bless All the Dear Children - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 29, 2015 9:26 am

MankatoJoe wrote:

No particular reason other than the fact that the show had been cancelled......

"Albert, do you REALLY think you are old enough to know what love is?"
"I must be Pa. I love you, I have for a long time."
Back to top Go down
MankatoJoe
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler
MankatoJoe

PostSubject: Re: Bless All the Dear Children   Bless All the Dear Children - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 29, 2015 10:41 am

I think it's the weakest of the three movies by far, didn't really enjoy it.
Back to top Go down
LauraIngallsfan
"Psalm 73"
LauraIngallsfan

PostSubject: Re: Bless All the Dear Children   Bless All the Dear Children - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 29, 2015 12:06 pm

MankatoJoe wrote:

Interesting... I always thought that The Last Farewell was the last to be aired. But I just checked my DVD set and you are correct. I wonder why they did The Last Farewell before Bless all the Dear Children?

“I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.”  - Laura Ingalls Wilder

Back to top Go down
MankatoJoe
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler
MankatoJoe

PostSubject: Re: Bless All the Dear Children   Bless All the Dear Children - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 29, 2015 12:22 pm

I understand that it's a Christmas edition, but I wonder why they didn't show it at Christmas 1983 instead of 1984.
Back to top Go down
LauraIngallsfan
"Psalm 73"
LauraIngallsfan

PostSubject: Re: Bless All the Dear Children   Bless All the Dear Children - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 29, 2015 12:28 pm

That would have made more sense to me... Just seems so strange to show it after The Last Farewell... oh well.. Laughing

Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

Number of posts : 9374

PostSubject: Re: Bless All the Dear Children   Bless All the Dear Children - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 29, 2015 1:53 pm

Actual Air Dates of the three made for television movies:

The answer to the out of order question is below.......................

12/Dec/83           Look Back to Yesterday
       06/Feb/84           The Last Farewell          
       17/Dec/84           Bless All the Dear Children

NBC shot 3 telefilms to wrap up the "Little House" story. "The Last Farewell" (which aired in the spring of 1984) was the last "Little House" story filmed. But, "Bless All The Dear Children" (which aired Christmas of that same year as "The Last Farewell") was shot BEFORE "The Last Farewell", and therefore "...Dear Children" had sat on the NBC shelf and went unaired until it was finally shown at Christmas of 1984.

"Albert, do you REALLY think you are old enough to know what love is?"
"I must be Pa. I love you, I have for a long time."
Back to top Go down
LauraIngallsfan
"Psalm 73"
LauraIngallsfan

PostSubject: Re: Bless All the Dear Children   Bless All the Dear Children - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 29, 2015 7:09 pm

Right, I figured it had to have been shot before The Last Farewell, otherwise they wouldn't have had a town to film it in! Thanks for that info Dave!

Back to top Go down
MankatoJoe
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler
MankatoJoe

PostSubject: Re: Bless All the Dear Children   Bless All the Dear Children - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 22, 2015 1:30 pm

My true entertainment channel is showing all 3 movies back-to-back next Saturday, ending with Bless All The Dear Children.

So I'm recording them all - will be much better quality than Youtube.
Back to top Go down
MankatoJoe
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler
MankatoJoe

PostSubject: Re: Bless All the Dear Children   Bless All the Dear Children - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 27, 2015 6:51 am

I've decided to binge-watch 1 to 7pm whilst recording.

They're starting with The Final Farewell, then Look Back To Yesterday, ending with Bless All The Dear Children.

I've got Nachos and lemonade!
Back to top Go down
MankatoJoe
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler
MankatoJoe

PostSubject: Re: Bless All the Dear Children   Bless All the Dear Children - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 13, 2015 10:48 am

Finally getting round to watching Bless All The Dear Children this evening (I'm off sick this week).

I did watch the other 2 and recorded all 3 so I will see if I can enjoy this movie at least a little bit. Still can't get over the idea of Christmas in June in Tuscon. A bit like here when it's broad daylight at 10pm in the middle of Summer yet only 48/50 degrees fahrenheit.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bless All the Dear Children   Bless All the Dear Children - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Bless All the Dear Children
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next