Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

"LITTLE HOUSE IN THE BIG WOODS"

Go down 
+12
Krissy
ChristineLovesLHOTP
Honeybee
Joe
Vanesa
laurasangel
Savannah
Kristina
LIWnut
Prairie Wind
charles ingalls
Carol
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665
Mood : House - "LITTLE HOUSE IN THE BIG WOODS" - Page 2 Happy010

House - "LITTLE HOUSE IN THE BIG WOODS" - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: "LITTLE HOUSE IN THE BIG WOODS"   House - "LITTLE HOUSE IN THE BIG WOODS" - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 7:01 pm

Marilyn, that was a good picture opportunitttaaahh! hahaha
Nobody took a pic? picture

House - "LITTLE HOUSE IN THE BIG WOODS" - Page 2 Horses10
Back to top Go down
LIWnut
Proverbs 3:5-6
Proverbs 3:5-6
LIWnut

Number of posts : 2539
Mood : House - "LITTLE HOUSE IN THE BIG WOODS" - Page 2 Cloud910

PostSubject: Re: "LITTLE HOUSE IN THE BIG WOODS"   House - "LITTLE HOUSE IN THE BIG WOODS" - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 9:39 am

no, sorry I didn't

House - "LITTLE HOUSE IN THE BIG WOODS" - Page 2 MarilynKeeper House - "LITTLE HOUSE IN THE BIG WOODS" - Page 2 Bookclub2
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45733
Mood : House - "LITTLE HOUSE IN THE BIG WOODS" - Page 2 Headac10

PostSubject: Re: "LITTLE HOUSE IN THE BIG WOODS"   House - "LITTLE HOUSE IN THE BIG WOODS" - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2014 8:20 pm

I just read this book in one day. I finally got threw it. I got a good since of how American's lived during them times. So MUCH work. The fathers sure had to work finding food. I couldn't do that. The mothers to had there share of work. They sure didn't have much but they had lots of love,

I don't think i would like to live in the woods

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
MissOleson
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
MissOleson

Number of posts : 895
Mood : House - "LITTLE HOUSE IN THE BIG WOODS" - Page 2 Indiff10

PostSubject: Re: "LITTLE HOUSE IN THE BIG WOODS"   House - "LITTLE HOUSE IN THE BIG WOODS" - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 29, 2014 10:29 pm

Do you want to know what is a little sad, though? The big woods isn't even a big woods anymore. I am not going to lie. It was kind of a disappointment when I made it there. It is basically farmland now. I guess for modern times it is better, of course. But it would be fun to experience it a little more like Laura did when you go to Pepin.

Who's going to do the cooking?!?!
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

PostSubject: Re: "LITTLE HOUSE IN THE BIG WOODS"   House - "LITTLE HOUSE IN THE BIG WOODS" - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 30, 2014 10:57 am

Yeah. I would think things may be different now.

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
MissOleson
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
MissOleson

Number of posts : 895
Mood : House - "LITTLE HOUSE IN THE BIG WOODS" - Page 2 Indiff10

PostSubject: Re: "LITTLE HOUSE IN THE BIG WOODS"   House - "LITTLE HOUSE IN THE BIG WOODS" - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 30, 2014 4:53 pm

But you go there thinking you are going to literally be in the Northwoods of Wisconsin. And then it is such a major let-down! I have driven through other areas up north that are woodsy like that once was. So, you get an idea of how it would be. I just wish it would've been that way there. One thing I wish they would've been able to do is at least have more than just one big tree by the house. Maybe they could surround it with trees to give the effect that it is the "big woods". The house would look a lot better in pictures then. yes

Who's going to do the cooking?!?!
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

PostSubject: Re: "LITTLE HOUSE IN THE BIG WOODS"   House - "LITTLE HOUSE IN THE BIG WOODS" - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 30, 2014 8:20 pm

Oh yeah i see, Well everything changes

Back to top Go down
bestshowever
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 50

PostSubject: Re: "LITTLE HOUSE IN THE BIG WOODS"   House - "LITTLE HOUSE IN THE BIG WOODS" - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 25, 2014 12:17 pm

The Ingalls had so much bounty in the Big Woods, and it took them years to find such bounty again. Trees that gave maple sugar and building material, a garden they could eat from and store up food in the attic, a hog they can butcher in the fall, a milk cow that gives milk, butter, and cheese. Family to help with the harvest, building.

It sounds like Pa's skill set/interest in farming was average at best. In that case, they were better off staying in the Big Woods. But Pa the dreamer, probably saw a handbill somewhere, Pepin?, and thought the grass was greener somewhere else. He was a good hunter/trapper but going where the land was native grassland and never farmed before when you're an average farmer to start with?

Crazy, but then the story of Laura Ingalls Wilder would have ended right there!
Back to top Go down
LauraIngallsfan
"Psalm 73"
House - "LITTLE HOUSE IN THE BIG WOODS" - Page 2 MatthewRank
LauraIngallsfan

Number of posts : 9265
Mood : House - "LITTLE HOUSE IN THE BIG WOODS" - Page 2 Happy010

PostSubject: Re: "LITTLE HOUSE IN THE BIG WOODS"   House - "LITTLE HOUSE IN THE BIG WOODS" - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 13, 2015 11:04 am

I am reading through Little House in the Big Woods for the first time right now. Great book, I love Laura's writing style. In Chapter 8 I came across something very interesting.... Laura had a cousin named Laura Ingalls! I never knew that before!

“I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.”  - Laura Ingalls Wilder

House - "LITTLE HOUSE IN THE BIG WOODS" - Page 2 Laurai10
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/mylittlehouselibrary/
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

PostSubject: Re: "LITTLE HOUSE IN THE BIG WOODS"   House - "LITTLE HOUSE IN THE BIG WOODS" - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 20, 2015 8:36 pm

I never knew that either. Wow!!

Back to top Go down
Honeybee
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Honeybee

Number of posts : 3565
Mood : House - "LITTLE HOUSE IN THE BIG WOODS" - Page 2 Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: "LITTLE HOUSE IN THE BIG WOODS"   House - "LITTLE HOUSE IN THE BIG WOODS" - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 16, 2021 3:57 am

Yes, I remember reading that part, that Laura Ingalls has cousin name Laura Ingalls.

wootwoot
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21171
Mood : House - "LITTLE HOUSE IN THE BIG WOODS" - Page 2 Purple2

PostSubject: Re: "LITTLE HOUSE IN THE BIG WOODS"   House - "LITTLE HOUSE IN THE BIG WOODS" - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 06, 2024 5:24 pm

92 years ago LITTLE HOUSE IN THE BIG WOODS was published. House - "LITTLE HOUSE IN THE BIG WOODS" - Page 2 43578610

House - "LITTLE HOUSE IN THE BIG WOODS" - Page 2 Rhonda10House - "LITTLE HOUSE IN THE BIG WOODS" - Page 2 Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "LITTLE HOUSE IN THE BIG WOODS"   House - "LITTLE HOUSE IN THE BIG WOODS" - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

"LITTLE HOUSE IN THE BIG WOODS"
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2