Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Our Galaxy: The Milky Way

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665
Mood : Our Galaxy: The Milky Way Happy010

Our Galaxy: The Milky Way Empty
PostSubject: Our Galaxy: The Milky Way   Our Galaxy: The Milky Way EmptyThu Jan 03, 2008 3:50 pm

Our Galaxy: The Milky Way Milkywaygalaxy

How many of you are interested in space? I have always been facinated by it and several times in my life (in the spring/summer) I would sit out in the back porch and just look up at the sky & moon and just imagine how huge our universe is... and then... to think that that 'huge universe' is a small dot in our galaxy.

Planet earth is somewhere on the most outer ring on the galaxy. I watched a program called 'The Universe' and I was just in awe of how amazing the galaxy is. They compared it to our living conditions.... the center of the galaxy, that bright bright center of stars would be were everything is at and happening... (like a city of New York)... then the outer rings... as we go further out... would be the boonies (lol) where we are at..... so we can't really see all the action (other star formations, etc) BUT the positive thing about being that far out is that it lets us see our neighbor galaxies..... I think that is awesome.

Now as science becomes more and more advanced.... some are saying that we were most likely ADOPTED to the milky way galaxy. The picture below shows the yellow circle (our Sun) found directly between Milky Way [blue whirlpool] & Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxies [orange loop].

Our Galaxy: The Milky Way 030924_galaxy_eating_02

Pretty amazing ha? I sort of feel like an adult who's parents have told me that I was adopted all these years... lol
All this time, we though we were always with the Milky Way but now they are seeing that we actually were part of another galaxy.... :unsure:

Our Galaxy: The Milky Way Horses10
Back to top Go down
Farmer Girl
Li'l Miss Milk Maid
Li'l Miss Milk Maid
Farmer Girl

Number of posts : 2578
Mood : Our Galaxy: The Milky Way Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: Our Galaxy: The Milky Way   Our Galaxy: The Milky Way EmptyThu Jan 03, 2008 3:55 pm

Neat! My family watched a thing called, uhm, SHOOT! I can't think of the name of it! banghead Ugh! I hate it when that happens!!! Anyway, it was about the earth, and where we are in it. It was really neat. Those are some awsome pictures!

Our Galaxy: The Milky Way FGKeeper

~ Home is the nicest word there is ~

Our Galaxy: The Milky Way Little
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21172
Mood : Our Galaxy: The Milky Way Purple2

PostSubject: Re: Our Galaxy: The Milky Way   Our Galaxy: The Milky Way EmptyThu Jan 03, 2008 7:23 pm

From Jan 1-Jan 5, there is a meteor shower going on. If you have a clear night, you might see if you can see it......
Our Galaxy: The Milky Way 7_2_205

Our Galaxy: The Milky Way Rhonda10Our Galaxy: The Milky Way Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62619
Mood : Our Galaxy: The Milky Way Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: Our Galaxy: The Milky Way   Our Galaxy: The Milky Way EmptyThu Jan 03, 2008 10:43 pm

Thanks for posting this, Carol! I've always loved astronomy. The really amazing thing is that there are about 100 billions stars in our Milky Way galaxy, each one more or less like our own sun. And they estimate that there are about 100 billion galaxies in the universe. They've already discovered many, many planets circling other nearby stars. So if you multiply 100 billion times 100 billion to find the total number of suns, and if only a small percentage of those have planets... well, I think it's pretty safe to say we're not alone.
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665
Mood : Our Galaxy: The Milky Way Happy010

PostSubject: Re: Our Galaxy: The Milky Way   Our Galaxy: The Milky Way EmptyFri Jan 04, 2008 2:40 am

That is really mind bogling... lol.. I can't even begin to express how huge the universe is.... amazing...

Our Galaxy: The Milky Way Horses10
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : Our Galaxy: The Milky Way Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: Our Galaxy: The Milky Way   Our Galaxy: The Milky Way EmptyFri Jan 04, 2008 9:18 am

Carol, we bought "The Universe" on dvd for our boys for Christmas! Applause

Rhonda wrote:
From Jan 1-Jan 5, there is a meteor shower going on. If you have a clear night, you might see if you can see it......
Our Galaxy: The Milky Way 7_2_205

Cool, I'm going to check that out! I'm not so into space/astronomy, but my son is. And dahubby will get me to watch an occasional show on Discovery Channel, like the space show we watched together two nights ago. Thumbsup He's always trying to get me into things outside Little House, Dr. Quinn & X-Files! Whistle grinsmiley

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Our Galaxy: The Milky Way   Our Galaxy: The Milky Way Empty

Back to top Go down

Our Galaxy: The Milky Way
Page 1 of 1