Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Scented memories

Go down 
+10
Gin
Amy
JW
Vanesa
Carol
bethandmanly
Rob
Farmer Girl
pamh36
Savannah
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Scented memories Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428
Mood : Scented memories Happy010

Scented memories Empty
PostSubject: Scented memories   Scented memories EmptyThu Jan 31, 2008 9:49 am

The other day, I was helping a friend with cleaning. I usually use lemon-scented cleaners, and it happened that she had Pine Sol on hand. Well, I opened the bottle up, and it brought me right back to years ago when I had worked in my early teens for an elderly lady. She was the orneriest, most bad tempered person I've ever worked for! I mean - I have worked for a retired drill instructor - and you'd think that THAT would be the difficult job. But nooooo......that was a walk in the park. LOL!

It got me to thinking about how smells and scents can trigger memories. Whenever I smell ham and baked beans, I think of my Grandma. Fresh bread makes me think of Mom.......Pine Sol makes me think of a grumpy woman. :Hahaha:

How about you? Are there scents that trigger memories for you?
Back to top Go down
pamh36
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
pamh36

Number of posts : 5900

Scented memories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scented memories   Scented memories EmptyThu Jan 31, 2008 10:17 am

One thing that triggers me is the scent of Dial bar soap.

When I was pregnant with Devin, my water broke in my 6 month and I had to stay in the hospital on bed rest. I spent 3 1/2 weeks there before going into active labor and then Devin was born. The soap they used was Dial; so now every time I smell that soap I am back in that hospital.

Scented memories PamKeeper
Back to top Go down
Farmer Girl
Li'l Miss Milk Maid
Li'l Miss Milk Maid
Farmer Girl

Number of posts : 2578
Mood : Scented memories Goodsi10

Scented memories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scented memories   Scented memories EmptyThu Jan 31, 2008 1:19 pm

That is neat! There is one smell that always makes me think of my great-grandma's house, before she died. The smell of old books. She had shelfs and shelfs! I was too little too care about books then, now I wish they were still there for me to look at!

Scented memories FGKeeper

~ Home is the nicest word there is ~

Scented memories Little
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62619

Scented memories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scented memories   Scented memories EmptyThu Jan 31, 2008 2:43 pm

My first girlfriend and I used to play tennis a lot back in the '70s. Fresh tennis balls always had a very distinctive smell to them. If I opened a can today, I bet I'd be overcome.
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600
Mood : Scented memories Bokmal10

Scented memories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scented memories   Scented memories EmptyThu Jan 31, 2008 3:16 pm

Hockey odor is one of the most distinctive smells on the face of the planet. You can't wash it away, Febreeze it away, or air it out. A few weeks ago, my son asked me to haul his hockey bag out of the cellar and look to make sure all his equipment was still inside. As soon as I unzipped the bag, the smell of sweaty and often used gloves, pads, and jock strap permeated the room, reminding me of those long rides home from practices, games, and tournaments with the hockey bag in the back of the SUV and the rank odor forcing us to open the windows even in the cold of winter.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665

Scented memories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scented memories   Scented memories EmptyThu Jan 31, 2008 3:36 pm

I gotta say the smell of fried plaintains getting cooked always makes me remember the big saturday morning breakfasts we had when we lived in Los Angeles. There were a total of 3 families living in the house (to help w/ the rent) and we always looked forward to Saturday mornings.... We would have a tipical salvadorean breakfast - beans, egg, cream or cheese and fried plantains. We would go to the bakery to buy french bread... would drink juice, hot chocolate or coffee... it was quite a banquet and we were always ready for it eat

Scented memories Chapin

Scented memories Horses10
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136

Scented memories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scented memories   Scented memories EmptyThu Jan 31, 2008 3:49 pm

My granny's house always has a very distinctive apple smell, and nobody, nor herself may explain why! My grandpa's brother, always said he loved how his sister-in-law houses smelled, for she move some three times in life and her houses ALWAYS were apple scented... :think:

And the smell of clove and cinnammon makes me think about my great-grandma Amanda. She always cooked a wonderful dessert made of rice, sugar, milk and cloves and cinnammon, and her house was penty of those beatiful smells.

Vanesa.

Scented memories Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
JW
Isaiah Edwards
Isaiah Edwards
JW

Number of posts : 9016
Mood : Scented memories Happy011

Scented memories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scented memories   Scented memories EmptyThu Jan 31, 2008 4:09 pm

It Wierd but Moth Balls Smell Reminds me of My Aunts House in Mexico I Love the smell of those Moth balls then her Pantry Smells soo nice not like Moth Ball But All Kinds of Cookies Cinnamin Rolls and Lots of other food mmmmm

And the Smell of Boiled Poatoes & Tacos or Soup Reminds me of Family Gathrings in Mexico

Scented memories Jacobk10Scented memories Jacob210
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665

Scented memories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scented memories   Scented memories EmptyThu Jan 31, 2008 4:34 pm

Where in Mexico did you live at Jacob and for how long? Learn any spanish while you were there? :cool2:

Scented memories Horses10
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : Scented memories Love-s10

Scented memories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scented memories   Scented memories EmptyThu Jan 31, 2008 5:09 pm

Interesting topic! Actually, this is ironic because after being sick last week, I actually THOUGHT about a certain smell that reminded me of my childhood. My mom always made us kids use Vick's vapor rub or "Ben Gay" when we were ill with breathing/coughing issues. I was thinking last week that I really needed that stuff! 🤢

And ugh, Cheryl...hockey odor!! Oh, it's the WORST!!!! Scented memories Beurk13 I'm glad my son doesn't play anymore just for that reason alone! grinsmiley

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

Number of posts : 5920
Mood : Scented memories Love-s10

Scented memories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scented memories   Scented memories EmptyThu Jan 31, 2008 5:15 pm

Every time I smell fried okra I think of my Grandma. She knew I loved the stuff and so every time I was there she "cooked me up a mess." I also used to sniff her amber colored bottle of Vitamin C. It smelled SO good! eat

Scented memories Project2

It is the lack of Christianity that has  brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts.  LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
Farmer Girl
Li'l Miss Milk Maid
Li'l Miss Milk Maid
Farmer Girl

Number of posts : 2578

Scented memories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scented memories   Scented memories EmptyThu Jan 31, 2008 6:04 pm

Yea, Moth balls make me think of my Great-Grandma's house, too! And my Grandmother, and my Aunt.......

Scented memories FGKeeper

~ Home is the nicest word there is ~

Scented memories Little
Back to top Go down

Scented memories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scented memories   Scented memories EmptyThu Jan 31, 2008 6:11 pm

KFC--chicken...reminds me of my aunt..cuz she used to love to eat that...

apple pyes cuz my grandmother used to bake a lot of pyes..
Back to top Go down
Lily
"Beautiful Life"
Scented memories LilyRank2
Lily

Number of posts : 6784
Mood : Scented memories Vianne10

Scented memories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scented memories   Scented memories EmptyThu Jan 31, 2008 11:32 pm

My first job was working in a Geriatric Home. The smell of Ben Gay and certain medicated ointments will definitely reminisce my past.

When my Dad was alive, he loved to cook. Whenever I was under the weather, he always made the chicken soup for me since I was a little girl until he could cook no more. So, whenever I smell the chicken soup, I think of my Dad. My Mom's chicken soup is just not the same as my Dad's, I guess it's the different ingredients.

"Within the heart of every stray, lies the singular desire to be loved."
Back to top Go down
pamh36
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
pamh36

Number of posts : 5900

Scented memories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scented memories   Scented memories EmptyFri Feb 01, 2008 3:30 pm

Gin wrote:
Every time I smell fried okra I think of my Grandma. She knew I loved the stuff and so every time I was there she "cooked me up a mess." I also used to sniff her amber colored bottle of Vitamin C. It smelled SO good! eat

Oh, fried okra! That reminds me of my Grandma too. Her and I were the only ones in the house, when I was growing up, that would eat it. I often get it when I go to Cracker Barrel. And I think I tell the kids every time, about how much my Grandma loved her fried okra, lol. I still love the stuff.

Oh, and another scent is Avon's lavender bubblebath. My grandma used it in her bath every night and the upstairs, where she stayed, always smelled of that pleasant scent. Still to this day, I have one whiff of that scent and I am back upstairs in my grandma's room, watching The Love Boat, lol.

Scented memories PamKeeper
Back to top Go down
ChristinaAL
Little House Lady
Little House Lady
ChristinaAL

Number of posts : 2761

Scented memories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scented memories   Scented memories EmptyFri Feb 01, 2008 3:37 pm

Anything Thanksgiving - turkey, mashed potatoes, turnips (which I would never eat, but still remember the smell of vividly!), stuffing - cooking, takes me back to Thanksgivings at my grandma's when I was little. She lived on the second story of an apartment building so we had to go up a flight of stairs to get to her apartment - and I remember being able to smell everything cooking as soon as we entered the front door on the ground floor. Every Thanksgiving, when I smell these things cooking at our house now, for a little while I remember my grandma's house.

It's funny how smells are so connected with memories, isn't it?

Scented memories ChristinaKeeper2 Scented memories 10bChristina

"It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong."
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136

Scented memories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scented memories   Scented memories EmptyFri Feb 01, 2008 4:34 pm

Amy wrote:
Interesting topic! Actually, this is ironic because after being sick last week, I actually THOUGHT about a certain smell that reminded me of my childhood. My mom always made us kids use Vick's vapor rub or "Ben Gay" when we were ill with breathing/coughing issues. I was thinking last week that I really needed that stuff! 🤢

And ugh, Cheryl...hockey odor!! Oh, it's the WORST!!!! Scented memories Beurk13 I'm glad my son doesn't play anymore just for that reason alone! grinsmiley

I love Vick Vapor rub smell! I'm a real fan of mint-eucalipthus smells...The more strong they are, the more I love them.

Vanesa. grinsmiley

Scented memories Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
Alice
On The African Savanna
On The African Savanna
Alice

Number of posts : 10766

Scented memories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scented memories   Scented memories EmptySat Feb 02, 2008 6:37 pm

The smell of creasote always reminds me of the the boardwalk at the beach.

Spring is finally here, the lovely pink blooms on the "spray" tree outside my window are gone leaving a beautiful willow.
Back to top Go down
Docfan
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 225
Mood : Scented memories Pbucket

Scented memories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scented memories   Scented memories EmptyWed Feb 06, 2008 12:33 pm

I am a very olfactory person...smells can take me back, sometimes, to when I was a pre-schooler even. I love natural based perfumes, foodie smells, soap smells, all of it...(almost...don't like gross smells!)

The smell of certain soaps takes me back to earlier times about faster than anything. Dial soap, patchouli scented soap, and lavender scented soaps are the best. :cowgirl:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Scented memories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scented memories   Scented memories Empty

Back to top Go down

Scented memories
Page 1 of 1