Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Property Reassessments

Go down 
+2
Savannah
Carol
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665
Mood : Property Reassessments Happy010

Property Reassessments Empty
PostSubject: Property Reassessments   Property Reassessments EmptyMon Feb 11, 2008 1:15 pm

Have any of you had this done before?

When I went to the Property tax website I saw in big bold red letters that some home owners are eligible to have their property taxes reduced based on how low the prices of the homes went. If for example someone in the past two years (that's us) bought a home at top price that is now worth a lot less can qualify for this.
The house when we bought it was $341,000 and is now worth almost 90,000 less!!!

We have to have a guy come to our home and re-evaluate the property, etc... they do an interior and exterior inspection.

I have no problem w/ the exterior inspection BUT about a year ago we had a porch built and the guy who built it lied to my dad and told him he had gotten a permit... but never really did. I'm wondering if the guy from the assessor's office will want to see the permit... most likely he will....
Do any of you know if it's possible to get a permit AFTER something is built? This really bites.... banghead

Property Reassessments Horses10
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Property Reassessments Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428

PostSubject: Re: Property Reassessments   Property Reassessments EmptyMon Feb 11, 2008 1:49 pm

I've not had to deal with anything like that before, Carol, so I don't have any advice or experience to offer. But I'll be praying about the situation for you. I would *think* that the only reason that he would need to see a permit for the building of the porch is if he is coming specifically to inspect the safety of the porch, or something along that line. I think he'd be there to assess the value of the property, rather than viewing permits for previously added-on structure. But, as I said, I've had no experience in that area, and could be wrong. At any rate, I'll be praying.
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : Property Reassessments Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: Property Reassessments   Property Reassessments EmptyMon Feb 11, 2008 3:16 pm

What Savannah says is logical...I really have never had to deal with anything like this either, even though I've been a homeowner for 18 years. I'm sorry you're having to deal with it Carol...what a pain in the butt! No

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

PostSubject: Re: Property Reassessments   Property Reassessments EmptyMon Feb 11, 2008 3:33 pm

Yeah that sounds logical... although to make sure... I'll have to get a permit anyway... I know we'll have to pay fines but I think it's better to pay the fines, get the permit and get the taxes lowered...
so... yeah.... it's a pain

The prices of the houses dropped! This house is now worth $331 thousand!

Property Reassessments Bellavista_6b_elev_1377

That same house in Los Angeles would probably cost twice as much and even a lot more near Beverly Hills....

Back to top Go down
pamh36
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
pamh36

Number of posts : 5900

PostSubject: Re: Property Reassessments   Property Reassessments EmptyTue Feb 12, 2008 9:56 am

We had our house reassessed and we had completely redone our basement since we bought the house. We didn't have any kind of permit or anything, and the assessor didn't ask to see one. But it may depend on the particular assessor.

Property Reassessments PamKeeper
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21172
Mood : Property Reassessments Purple2

PostSubject: Re: Property Reassessments   Property Reassessments EmptyTue Feb 12, 2008 1:32 pm

I know California is a stickler on Permits. When my folks sold our house and moved to Missouri, Daddy had to take down a 12x12 shed and the arbor he had built over the patio, all because he didn't have a permit. I don't know about getting a permit and then having the assessment made, might work.... :think:

Property Reassessments Rhonda10Property Reassessments Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

PostSubject: Re: Property Reassessments   Property Reassessments EmptyTue Feb 12, 2008 3:12 pm

I am hoping we don't have to tear anything down... that would be awful! bawling
I just want to know how much of a fine we'll have to pay... I already left a message in the office and am waiting for a call back....

Back to top Go down
ChristinaAL
Little House Lady
Little House Lady
ChristinaAL

Number of posts : 2761

PostSubject: Re: Property Reassessments   Property Reassessments EmptySun Feb 17, 2008 1:11 pm

I'm sorry to hear about all this, Carol! What a mess, and how especially annoying that the guy who built the porch lied about the permit - that's so unfair that now you have to go through the hassle and worry of trying to get one. Have you heard back from the office yet?

Property Reassessments ChristinaKeeper2 Property Reassessments 10bChristina

"It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Property Reassessments   Property Reassessments Empty

Back to top Go down

Property Reassessments
Page 1 of 1