Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see

Go down 
+8
JW
Farmer Girl
Lily
Vanesa
LIWnut
Savannah
Rhonda
Amy
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see Love-s10

Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see Empty
PostSubject: Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see   Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see EmptyMon Feb 18, 2008 9:28 am

Hey everyone! We're seriously thinking of going to Missouri this summer...mainly to visit St. Louis. It's my son's Senior year and we want to do a fun trip, where we don't have to travel for too long. We have a trailer and with gas prices, we don't want to do the trip South that we originally were thinking. This would only be about a 7 hour drive. So we were talking about camping outside St. Louis and going more toward the Lake of the Ozarks...I've discovered that there are a lot of caves to explore around there and my boys would just go nuts!! So anyway, all of a sudden it hits me, "HEY, we're in Little House territory!" :cabn: Mansfield is about a 3 hour drive from St. Louis (not too bad), and I'm just curious if anyone here knows of the sites to see....Rhonda, you've been to the Rocky Ridge farm, right? The downfall is, my boys (ahem, ALL of them) will throw a little hissy fit about having to do "Mom's Little House expedition"....they're not exactly into it, you know? Whistle But hey, we'll be in Missouri for crying out loud...I just HAVE to go visit!!!! And also, has anyone ever been camping in that area? It would be helpful to have a suggested campground, rather than just picking one without seeing first! We usually just go camping every summer in Northern Michigan, so this is really venturing from home for us! Wink It's not 'etched in stone' yet, but I am getting excited about it!

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21164
Mood : Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see Purple2

PostSubject: Re: Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see   Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see EmptyMon Feb 18, 2008 1:22 pm

Not sure when you are planning your trip, but the Diva's are meeting there in July and I can pop up any old time........Not sure about campgrounds, but the country is beautiful, so you shouldn't have any problems finding a great place to stay. The Ozarks are gorgeous and if you travel further south, just a little, you can visit Eureka Springs. It is a wonderful little town that has all kinds of neat things to do and see.......Let me know when you plan to go there, maybe I can pop up for the an afternoon and meet you! Thumbsup

Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see Rhonda10Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54425
Mood : Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see Happy010

PostSubject: Re: Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see   Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see EmptyMon Feb 18, 2008 1:45 pm

Oh, wouldn't that be awesome!!

I hope you get to visit some Little House sites, Amy! And for you and Rhonda to be able to meet - THAT would be fabulous!!
Back to top Go down
LIWnut
Proverbs 3:5-6
LIWnut

Number of posts : 2539
Mood : Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see Cloud910

PostSubject: Re: Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see   Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see EmptyMon Feb 18, 2008 2:27 pm

The Divas will be at the Rocky Ridge Farm on July 25th (I believe, haven't checked my notes) We will be going to Independence, KS the day after. We would love to see you Amy if we could all plan on being there the same day. So far there will be Beth Ingalls, Lorrie and I plus a few others from PT. Susie hasn't been to the diva site in forever so I don't know if she is still planning to go or not. I can't wait. I have been to the house before and I agree with Rhonda, you need to go and see Eureka Springs, it is amazing!!!

Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see MarilynKeeper Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see Bookclub2
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136
Mood : Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see   Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see EmptyMon Feb 18, 2008 3:03 pm

Share your pics with us! grinsmiley I'm pretty sure I'll never know LIW homesites...I'm to far of them. No :unsure:

Vanesa.

Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see   Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see EmptyMon Feb 18, 2008 3:24 pm

Oh my gosh, are you SERIOUS?!?!?! Well, I am officially freaking out!! LOL! IF we go (and it's still a big 'if') it will be the last two weeks of July!! I'll tell you what, my hubby (and sons!) would be THRILLED if I met up with my Little House friends and spared them all the tour! LOLOL!! And Rhonda, YES...you & I could finally meet after all these years!! happy1 OMG!!!

I've had a bit of a damper put on the whole idea of going though...my friend who has visited there before has said that Missouri is often known as 'Misery' beause of it's very humid summers. I didn't realize this! She said one of her worst camping memories was there during a humid heatwave (she said way worse than the hottest humid day in Michigan....which is pretty yucky!), and she said the mosquitos there were just horrible. I just don't know now!! What do you all think?

*EDIT*...Oooh, I just went to a "Eureka Springs" website and it looks so neat!! Yep---it might be a 'must-do'! Wink

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Lily
"Beautiful Life"
Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see LilyRank2
Lily

Number of posts : 6784
Mood : Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see Vianne10

PostSubject: Re: Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see   Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see EmptyMon Feb 18, 2008 9:57 pm

Wow Amy, the official freak!! LOL!! grinsmiley This is really cool about your trip to LIW's homesite. We are all excited for you. It would be so cool if you can meet up with Rhonda and The Divas. The Divas are a bunch of wild women, so you'll fit right in. Whistle :Hahaha:

"Within the heart of every stray, lies the singular desire to be loved."
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see   Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see EmptyMon Feb 18, 2008 11:35 pm

Amy, my Grandma moved to Missouri in July of this past summer, and she absolutely loves it. I don't remember her complaining any about the heat, or mosquitos - and she's rather sensitive to heat and humidity. I don't know if they had had a milder than usual summer, or maybe your friend just happened to be visiting during a heat wave. I can ask my Grandma for more specifics about the summer weather there last year if you like.
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see   Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see EmptyTue Feb 19, 2008 9:04 am

Yes, Lily...I am the official freakPlanning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see Yeux09---although we already knew that! grinsmiley Don't get too excited though...it's still 'in the works'! Wink But gosh, site-seeking with the Divas?!?! Talk about an adventure!! happy1 Now if they could make Dean Butler join us on the tour...ahem...I am SO there! batEyes

Well, Savannah, that is certainly good to hear that your grandma likes it there! If you wouldn't mind asking about the specific weather last summer, I would definitely appreciate it! This is a big decision...I just don't want us to all be miserable...I don't mind heat, but humid heat is the worst!! I was thinking the same thing about my friend, that maybe they just had an unusual heatwave the year she went or sth. Thanks for helping Savannah! Thumbsup

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Farmer Girl
Li'l Miss Milk Maid
Li'l Miss Milk Maid
Farmer Girl

Number of posts : 2578
Mood : Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see   Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see EmptyTue Feb 19, 2008 1:49 pm

I hope you get to go, Amy! I would love to go see all the LIW sites. That would be so much fun!

Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see FGKeeper

~ Home is the nicest word there is ~

Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see Little
Back to top Go down
JW
Isaiah Edwards
Isaiah Edwards
JW

Number of posts : 9016
Mood : Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see Happy011

PostSubject: Re: Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see   Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see EmptyTue Feb 19, 2008 3:26 pm

I Sure Hope you get to Go and Meet Rhonda and The Divas My Brother Once was in Missouri With a Semi but of course he did't tell till he was back OhMy And he went to Northdakota a Coupel times and Passed a Sign Saying Laura Ingalls Wilder Museum That Way what ever way that then was lol But he Did't tell me till he was back

Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see Jacobk10Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see Jacob210
Back to top Go down
Lily
"Beautiful Life"
Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see LilyRank2
Lily

Number of posts : 6784
Mood : Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see Vianne10

PostSubject: Re: Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see   Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see EmptyTue Feb 19, 2008 7:54 pm

Amy wrote:
Yes, Lily...I am the official freakPlanning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see Yeux09---although we already knew that! grinsmiley Don't get too excited though...it's still 'in the works'! Wink But gosh, site-seeking with the Divas?!?! Talk about an adventure!! happy1 Now if they could make Dean Butler join us on the tour...ahem...I am SO there! batEyes

I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya. :goodluck:

"Within the heart of every stray, lies the singular desire to be loved."
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see   Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see EmptyTue Feb 19, 2008 10:43 pm

Thank you so much, Farmer Girl, Jacob & Lily! My fingers are crossed to! ☮

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

PostSubject: Re: Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see   Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see EmptyWed Feb 20, 2008 2:18 pm

Add mine to them! :goodluck:

Vanesa.

Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see   Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see EmptyWed Feb 20, 2008 4:35 pm

Thank you Vanesa! Wave

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
LIWnut
LIWnut

PostSubject: Re: Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see   Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see EmptyWed Feb 20, 2008 7:06 pm

Hope you can join us Amy. The Divas have been planning this meeting for 2 years and now that it is getting closer, we are definately getting excited. I can't wait!!!

Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see MarilynKeeper Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see Bookclub2
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see   Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see EmptyWed Feb 20, 2008 11:38 pm

Aw, Marilyn, you are SO sweet to ask me to join you all! I really don't want to rain on anyone's parade though! After all, I'm no Diva! batEyes Wink I'll keep you updated as to whether this all pans out or not...I'm certainly hoping so!

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
LIWnut
LIWnut

PostSubject: Re: Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see   Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see EmptyThu Feb 21, 2008 6:26 pm

Hey, what better time to "just meet up" at Laura's house. I don't think the divas would mind if you were there on the same day as us.

Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see   Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see EmptyFri Feb 22, 2008 11:43 am

Thank you, Marilyn! Wink

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
ChristinaAL
Little House Lady
Little House Lady
ChristinaAL

Number of posts : 2761

PostSubject: Re: Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see   Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see EmptyFri Feb 22, 2008 1:51 pm

Amy, that's so exciting! I'm so jealous that you may not only get to see some LIW territory but also meet up with some prairie pals! grinsmiley Thumbsup LOL I hope you do get to go and have a wonderful time! And take lots of pictures! grinsmiley

Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see ChristinaKeeper2 Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see 10bChristina

"It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong."
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see   Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see EmptyFri Feb 22, 2008 2:04 pm

Definitely take lots of pictures!! 📷
Back to top Go down
Lori
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Lori

Number of posts : 6032

PostSubject: Re: Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see   Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see EmptyMon Mar 03, 2008 9:01 pm

We went to Rocky Ridge in August several years ago. I don't remember the humity or the mosquitoes being bad then. We also drove to the LH site in Kansas and spent some time in Independence. On the way home we stopped at Merramack Caverns (not sure if I spelled that right) which isn't too far from St. Louis. We also went up in the St. Louis arch. It was a great vacation.

Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see Lorike10
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

PostSubject: Re: Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see   Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see EmptyMon Mar 03, 2008 10:39 pm

I wish I was you! I read a lot about Rocky Ridge, but I don't know much about Kansas city. How do you like Independence? I only saw two or three pics from there... :think:

Vanesa.

Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see   Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see EmptyTue Mar 04, 2008 10:13 am

Lori that sounds great! I'm so glad to hear you didn't think the humidity was bad...I'm hearing from more and more people not to vacation in Missouri, so I'm worried! But I'm sure you'd remember if it was humid or if you were eaten up by mosquitos! Where is Marrameck Caverns? Is it a campground?

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Lori
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Lori

Number of posts : 6032

PostSubject: Re: Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see   Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see EmptyWed Mar 05, 2008 8:27 am

I did a quick search since I was sure I had spelled it wrong. It is Meramec Caverns. It isn't that far from St. Louis, but I don't remember how far. There were a lot of billboards for it. When I did the search, a Meramec State Park came up. I would assume the caverns are near or in it so you could camp there. It was an awesome cavern! We hadn't originally planned to go there, but we were making good time and we kept seeing the billboards so we decided to stop. We were glad we did. We weren't dressed for it though. The kids were in tank tops and it was about 50 degrees in there. So make sure you have a jacket!

Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see Lorike10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see   Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see Empty

Back to top Go down

Planning a trip to Missouri...LIW sites to see
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next