Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

How cool is this!

Go down 
+5
Vanesa
Trixie
Amy
Farmer Girl
Savannah
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
How cool is this! Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428
Mood : How cool is this! Happy010

How cool is this! Empty
PostSubject: How cool is this!   How cool is this! EmptyTue Mar 18, 2008 8:36 pm

I'm watching a documentary about the building of the Panama Canal. They have some of the most amazing old video documentation of it being built!!

AND..........this part is what I thought was so very stunning........They had an interview with one of the men who had helped build the Canal. He looked like he was about 80. Then, the documentary's narrator mentioned that he was the last surviving man who had helped build it - and that he was 104 years old!! He looked so fabulous - and he was as sharp as a tack!

Over 27,000 men died in the building of the canal. OhMy

Anyway............I love these History Channel dvds.

Any other history buffs here?
Back to top Go down
Farmer Girl
Li'l Miss Milk Maid
Li'l Miss Milk Maid
Farmer Girl

Number of posts : 2578
Mood : How cool is this! Goodsi10

How cool is this! Empty
PostSubject: Re: How cool is this!   How cool is this! EmptyTue Mar 18, 2008 8:38 pm

I love history. That is really neat about the show. I would love to watch that.
That is a lot of men to die. :o(

How cool is this! FGKeeper

~ Home is the nicest word there is ~

How cool is this! Little
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

How cool is this! Empty
PostSubject: Re: How cool is this!   How cool is this! EmptyTue Mar 18, 2008 8:42 pm

It *is* a lot of men! A lot of them died from Malaria. The French suffered the most deaths, because they didn't believe that Malaria was transferred through mosquitoes and unsanitary conditions. They lost 22,000 men.
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : How cool is this! Love-s10

How cool is this! Empty
PostSubject: Re: How cool is this!   How cool is this! EmptyTue Mar 18, 2008 8:49 pm

Savannah wrote:

What the heck?!?! Seriously???? I never knew!!

My hubby & sons are the history buffs in this family...I watch the History Channel only when they force me too. grinsmiley (But I did like that "Universe" show that was on. Wink

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Trixie
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler
Trixie

Number of posts : 425
Mood : How cool is this! Confus10

How cool is this! Empty
PostSubject: Re: How cool is this!   How cool is this! EmptyTue Mar 18, 2008 8:59 pm

Oh my goodness. That is amazing!
I love History Channel dvds too.
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136
Mood : How cool is this! Bokmal10

How cool is this! Empty
PostSubject: Re: How cool is this!   How cool is this! EmptyTue Mar 18, 2008 10:46 pm

I love History Channel, but not all they say it's 100% accurate. However, I DO know people who is more than 104 years old and looks great, as if they have 80! affraid One of my grandpa great-grandauntieswas 108when she died and she was in good health, could reason perfectly and had never gone to a doctor. She died while sleeping. Her husband died at 50, killed by Indians. No

Vanesa.

How cool is this! Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
pamh36
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
pamh36

Number of posts : 5900

How cool is this! Empty
PostSubject: Re: How cool is this!   How cool is this! EmptyWed Mar 19, 2008 8:40 am

It sounds like a very interesting DVD.

I love watching documentaries like these and hearing from the people who actually experienced the various events.

I would love to sit with that man and hear all of the stories he would have to tell. I love hearing stories about how things were.

How cool is this! PamKeeper
Back to top Go down
Alice
On The African Savanna
On The African Savanna
Alice

Number of posts : 10766

How cool is this! Empty
PostSubject: Re: How cool is this!   How cool is this! EmptyWed Mar 19, 2008 10:50 am

Savannah wrote:
It *is* a lot of men! A lot of them died from Malaria. The French suffered the most deaths, because they didn't believe that Malaria was transferred through mosquitoes and unsanitary conditions. They lost 22,000 men.

I've seen that before, I wish I had known it was on I certainly would have watched it again. Another deadly disease, also carried by mosquitoes, was Yellow Fever. Many thousands died from that as well. I imagine they also had dysentery or cholera because of unsanitary conditions.

Spring is finally here, the lovely pink blooms on the "spray" tree outside my window are gone leaving a beautiful willow.
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

How cool is this! Empty
PostSubject: Re: How cool is this!   How cool is this! EmptyWed Mar 19, 2008 10:53 am

It wasn't on tv. :fyi: I don't have cable or satellite. I borrowed the DVD. grinsmiley My library system has hundreds of documentaries on video and dvd. I'm working my way through them. Next up is The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665

How cool is this! Empty
PostSubject: Re: How cool is this!   How cool is this! EmptyWed Mar 19, 2008 11:11 am

I Love The History Channel.
I have seen several programs and have learned a lot. I haven't seen the Panama Cannal one... although I have seen a show about the Panama Canal on the Travel channel which was also really neat.

How cool is this! Horses10
Back to top Go down
flatbroke
Man of Constant Sorrow
Man of Constant Sorrow
flatbroke

Number of posts : 2648
Mood : How cool is this! Party010

How cool is this! Empty
PostSubject: Re: How cool is this!   How cool is this! EmptyWed Mar 19, 2008 11:20 am

Savannah wrote:
I'm watching a documentary about the building of the Panama Canal. They have some of the most amazing old video documentation of it being built!!

AND..........this part is what I thought was so very stunning........They had an interview with one of the men who had helped build the Canal. He looked like he was about 80. Then, the documentary's narrator mentioned that he was the last surviving man who had helped build it - and that he was 104 years old!! He looked so fabulous - and he was as sharp as a tack!

*yawn*

That's wonderful Savannah! ROTFL
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

How cool is this! Empty
PostSubject: Re: How cool is this!   How cool is this! EmptyWed Mar 19, 2008 11:30 am

Savannah wrote:
It wasn't on tv. :fyi: I don't have cable or satellite.

Savannah.... this article might interest you and others in the same boat: (Although from the commercials maybe a lot of you already know this) How cool is this! Boat

PORTLAND, Ore. - Starting in February of next year, all broadcast stations, including KATU, will stop airing an analog signal to you at home.

Right now, we send you two signals - one is analog and the other is digital (a cleaner, clearer and more compact signal).

On Feb. 17, 2009, the government is requiring us to flip off the analog signal, and for some of you that means your TV will, in essence, flip off too.

The government will be auctioning off part of the analog spectrum to companies like Google, to use for things other than TV.

"So all the old spectrum will be used for safety communications and really exciting new wireless applications, some of the things we haven't even thought of yet," explained Megan Pollack with the Consumer Electronics Association.

If you have a TV that needs an antenna to get a signal, you will be affected. You have four options:

Option 1

Get a digital converter box that hooks up between your antenna and your TV. The government is offering a $40 coupon to help with the cost, which is estimated to be between $40 and $70.

"When we send these coupons out, we are trying to make it as easy as possible for consumers. We'll send a list of retailers in their area where they can use the coupon, as well as a list of eligible boxes," said Meredith Baker of the National Telecommunications and Information Administration.

Each household qualifies for two $40 coupons, but you can only use one per box. Also, and this is important, the coupons are available on a first-come, first-serve basis and are only good up to 90 days. So if you have an analog set, you should apply soon. Call 1-888-dtv-2009 or go to www.dtv2009.gov. The converter boxes will be available in stores by the middle of February.

Option 2

Sign up for cable or satellite TV and continue to use your TV as usual. If you have cable or satellite already, you don't need to worry because your company will provide you a digital signal. Your cable or satellite box will serve as the converter.

Option 3

Buy a new DVR or DVD recorder with a digital tuner for around $200. This option only makes sense if you're in the market to buy one anyway.

Option 4

Buy a new television that's able to pick up digital signals. But be aware that digital and high-definition don't mean the same thing!

"You don't need a high-definition television. What you need is a TV with a digital tuner and you can get one of those for a few hundred bucks," said Gerard Catapano from Consumer Reports.

Source: http://www.katu.com/news/problemsolver/15471326.html

Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

How cool is this! Empty
PostSubject: Re: How cool is this!   How cool is this! EmptyWed Mar 19, 2008 11:42 am

flatbroke wrote:
Savannah wrote:

*yawn*

That's wonderful Savannah! ROTFL

*rolls eyes* You're just like.........so uncultured. :Hahaha:
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

How cool is this! Empty
PostSubject: Re: How cool is this!   How cool is this! EmptyWed Mar 19, 2008 11:44 am

Carol, thank you for the article! The only broadcast tv I watch right now is the local news. I went ahead and requested two coupons, but I haven't decided if I'll do anything about them yet. LOL My dvds will still work.
Back to top Go down
flatbroke
Man of Constant Sorrow
Man of Constant Sorrow
flatbroke

Number of posts : 2648
Mood : How cool is this! Party010

How cool is this! Empty
PostSubject: Re: How cool is this!   How cool is this! EmptyWed Mar 19, 2008 11:58 am

Savannah wrote:

*rolls eyes* You're just like.........so uncultured. :Hahaha:

I am too cultured!

I eat cottage cheese every day.
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

How cool is this! Empty
PostSubject: Re: How cool is this!   How cool is this! EmptyWed Mar 19, 2008 12:00 pm

Savannah wrote:
Carol, thank you for the article! The only broadcast tv I watch right now is the local news. I went ahead and requested two coupons, but I haven't decided if I'll do anything about them yet. LOL My dvds will still work.

No problem. Yeah I know what you mean... a lot of the stuff on TV can actually be found online now... Laughing And we still have the DVDs, etc... ☮

I got a coupon for my grandma... she'll kill me if her tube goes off :haha:

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

How cool is this! Empty
PostSubject: Re: How cool is this!   How cool is this! Empty

Back to top Go down

How cool is this!
Page 1 of 1