Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

enough Vitamin C?

Go down 
+8
Rhonda
Misti
Savannah
JW
flatbroke
Alice
bethandmanly
ChristinaAL
12 posters
AuthorMessage
ChristinaAL
Little House Lady
Little House Lady
ChristinaAL

Number of posts : 2761

enough Vitamin C? Empty
PostSubject: enough Vitamin C?   enough Vitamin C? EmptySat Apr 19, 2008 5:27 pm

Wave I'm looking for advice on boosting my immune system. I feel like I take care of myself - getting enough sleep (most nights), eating a balanced diet, etc. I drink orange juice, take a multi-vitamin and an extra Vitamin C every day. Yet I can't seem to beat colds this season. I just had one 2 weeks ago, and now it's back again 🤢 I don't want to go to the doctor's b/c I went last time and they gave me an antibiotic, I don't want to be taking it again in such a short span on time. (Plus, since I'm sick again I don't think it was all that effective). I also have allergies, so the doctor told me last time that that makes getting sick "easier", b/c once the allergies are acting up, my sinuses get swollen and infected. I've been googling immune health, but I'm finding all sorts of things and I'm not sure what would be the best thing to try. Is there something extra I can add to my diet, or a different vitamin? I'll even stand on my head if I have to! :scratch: What do you do?

enough Vitamin C? ChristinaKeeper2 enough Vitamin C? 10bChristina

"It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong."
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600
Mood : enough Vitamin C? Bokmal10

enough Vitamin C? Empty
PostSubject: Re: enough Vitamin C?   enough Vitamin C? EmptySat Apr 19, 2008 5:47 pm

This seems to have been a tough year for colds and the flu. It took me two weeks to shake the bug I had, and even after that I had no appetite for days.

I've been trying to add more fruits and vegetables into my diet--yuck, and I make sure to get a flu shot every year because of my asthma. I really can't think of much else you can do to keep from getting a cold...except avoid people who have them.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Alice
On The African Savanna
On The African Savanna
Alice

Number of posts : 10766
Mood : enough Vitamin C? Happy010

enough Vitamin C? Empty
PostSubject: Re: enough Vitamin C?   enough Vitamin C? EmptySat Apr 19, 2008 7:29 pm

If your doctor put you on an antibiotic the first time he must not have thought it was a cold.
Colds are caused by a virus and the meds would not have done any good.

You already eat a balanced diet. My only other suggestion would be to keep your hands washed,
but you probably already do that. Sorry, I annoy people (especially my kids) by telling them stuff like that.

I hope you feel better soon.

Spring is finally here, the lovely pink blooms on the "spray" tree outside my window are gone leaving a beautiful willow.
Back to top Go down
flatbroke
Man of Constant Sorrow
Man of Constant Sorrow
flatbroke

Number of posts : 2648
Mood : enough Vitamin C? Party010

enough Vitamin C? Empty
PostSubject: Re: enough Vitamin C?   enough Vitamin C? EmptySat Apr 19, 2008 7:48 pm

I washed my hands once.

I think I was 13 at the time. grinsmiley
Back to top Go down
JW
Isaiah Edwards
Isaiah Edwards
JW

Number of posts : 9016
Mood : enough Vitamin C? Happy011

enough Vitamin C? Empty
PostSubject: Re: enough Vitamin C?   enough Vitamin C? EmptySat Apr 19, 2008 7:49 pm

Well Try Odor Less Garlic Pills it does wonders for my mom she has asthma to Cherly my mom once toke the Flu shot to but she got the cold more then she had ever gotten it. but those Garlic Pills really work i guess you could just take Garlic but it stinks to much then peopel would want to avoid you if you would eat a piece of Garlic every day lol my mom does't get lots of colds anymore only if she stops taking them

enough Vitamin C? Jacobk10enough Vitamin C? Jacob210
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
enough Vitamin C? Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428

enough Vitamin C? Empty
PostSubject: Re: enough Vitamin C?   enough Vitamin C? EmptySat Apr 19, 2008 9:49 pm

I'll second the garlic tablets. They work wonders.
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

enough Vitamin C? Empty
PostSubject: Re: enough Vitamin C?   enough Vitamin C? EmptySat Apr 19, 2008 10:00 pm

flatbroke wrote:
I washed my hands once.

Remind me not to shake your hand if we ever meet up. affraid

Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

enough Vitamin C? Empty
PostSubject: Re: enough Vitamin C?   enough Vitamin C? EmptySat Apr 19, 2008 10:01 pm

JW wrote:
Well Try Odor Less Garlic Pills it does wonders for my mom she has asthma to Cherly my mom once toke the Flu shot to but she got the cold more then she had ever gotten it. but those Garlic Pills really work i guess you could just take Garlic but it stinks to much then peopel would want to avoid you if you would eat a piece of Garlic every day lol my mom does't get lots of colds anymore only if she stops taking them

Heck, I'll try anything once. This was the first year I didn't get my flu shot and I got sick. I really think it was more caused by overworking than anything else, but I won't miss my flu shot again. I bet Walmart has those garlic pills. I usually cook with garlic a lot too, but I've been skimping lately.

Back to top Go down
Misti
Red Hummingbird
Red Hummingbird
Misti

Number of posts : 4112

enough Vitamin C? Empty
PostSubject: Re: enough Vitamin C?   enough Vitamin C? EmptySat Apr 19, 2008 10:17 pm

bethandmanly wrote:
flatbroke wrote:
I washed my hands once.

Remind me not to shake your hand if we ever meet up. affraid

As Misti makes up her Christmas list this year, she puts in bold, black marker letters to send Larry a lifetime supply of Purel.. Sick2 :gross:

enough Vitamin C? Hummerenough Vitamin C? MistiKeeperenough Vitamin C? Bookclub5enough Vitamin C? Rose
"I would fight for you - I'd lie for you - walk the wire for you - ya I'd die for you..."
Back to top Go down
Alice
On The African Savanna
On The African Savanna
Alice

enough Vitamin C? Empty
PostSubject: Re: enough Vitamin C?   enough Vitamin C? EmptySat Apr 19, 2008 10:24 pm

flatbroke wrote:
I washed my hands once.

If anyone gets invited to Larry's for dinner, lets hope his wife cooks and sets the table batEyes

Spring is finally here, the lovely pink blooms on the "spray" tree outside my window are gone leaving a beautiful willow.
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
enough Vitamin C? Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428

enough Vitamin C? Empty
PostSubject: Re: enough Vitamin C?   enough Vitamin C? EmptySat Apr 19, 2008 10:30 pm

bethandmanly wrote:
JW wrote:

Heck, I'll try anything once. This was the first year I didn't get my flu shot and I got sick. I really think it was more caused by overworking than anything else, but I won't miss my flu shot again.

You didn't miss much, Cheryl. I just read an article that said that this year's flu shot didn't work well.

Larry. . . . Go wash your hands. Frying pan
Back to top Go down
flatbroke
Man of Constant Sorrow
Man of Constant Sorrow
flatbroke

Number of posts : 2648
Mood : enough Vitamin C? Party010

enough Vitamin C? Empty
PostSubject: Re: enough Vitamin C?   enough Vitamin C? EmptySat Apr 19, 2008 11:29 pm

Savannah wrote:

Heh...the funny part is, I rarely get sick. I never get headaches, can't recall the last time I had the flu, and only had one minor cold this year. Go figure. grinsmiley
Back to top Go down
Alice
On The African Savanna
On The African Savanna
Alice

enough Vitamin C? Empty
PostSubject: Re: enough Vitamin C?   enough Vitamin C? EmptySat Apr 19, 2008 11:40 pm

flatbroke wrote:
Heh...the funny part is, I rarely get sick. I never get headaches, can't recall the last time I had the flu, and only had one minor cold this year. Go figure. grinsmiley

Uh oh, hope you didn't just jinx yourself :unsure:

Back to top Go down
Misti
Red Hummingbird
Red Hummingbird
Misti

Number of posts : 4112

enough Vitamin C? Empty
PostSubject: Re: enough Vitamin C?   enough Vitamin C? EmptySat Apr 19, 2008 11:58 pm

flatbroke wrote:
Savannah wrote:

I have heard that people can get too spastic over germs and sometimes, less preventative measures is more!

enough Vitamin C? Hummerenough Vitamin C? MistiKeeperenough Vitamin C? Bookclub5enough Vitamin C? Rose
"I would fight for you - I'd lie for you - walk the wire for you - ya I'd die for you..."
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21172
Mood : enough Vitamin C? Purple2

enough Vitamin C? Empty
PostSubject: Re: enough Vitamin C?   enough Vitamin C? EmptySun Apr 20, 2008 9:04 am

I take a multi vite, calcium, Omega 3, Green Tea, Vite E, Lecithin and a few more.....but it is the Green Tea that I started taking for its help with the immune system. Having gone through cancer twice, getting sick was not what I wanted to do everytime I turned around. I can say that I have not had a cold or major sickness since 2000. As far as Vite C is concerned......whatever you do, do NOT take too much, it can do as much harm or more than you realize......I hope you find a way to stay healthy. Thumbsup

enough Vitamin C? Rhonda10enough Vitamin C? Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
ChristinaAL
Little House Lady
Little House Lady
ChristinaAL

enough Vitamin C? Empty
PostSubject: Re: enough Vitamin C?   enough Vitamin C? EmptySun Apr 20, 2008 1:51 pm

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I will look into the Garlic tablets, Jacob. I'm hoping that once the warm weather is here to stay it will be the end of cold/flu season!

"It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong."
Back to top Go down
Lori
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Lori

Number of posts : 6032

enough Vitamin C? Empty
PostSubject: Re: enough Vitamin C?   enough Vitamin C? EmptySun Apr 20, 2008 5:38 pm

I have had a lot of sinus trouble, but I have been doing much better since keeping my head covered when outside. From now on my winter and spring coats will have hoods. I'm sure I look silly to people wearing shorts when it's 60 degrees out and I have my hood up, but it has sure saved my from having sinus trouble.

enough Vitamin C? Lorike10
Back to top Go down
Lily
"Beautiful Life"
enough Vitamin C? LilyRank2
Lily

Number of posts : 6784
Mood : enough Vitamin C? Vianne10

enough Vitamin C? Empty
PostSubject: Re: enough Vitamin C?   enough Vitamin C? EmptySun Apr 20, 2008 10:14 pm

I don't take vitamins, I hardly get headaches, maybe it's in my genes, who knows. I eat plenty of fruits and veggies, so I know I'm getting vitamins. I do wash my hands often, I tell my kids all the time to wash hands after they return home, wash after using the bathroom, wash before eating, etc.

"Within the heart of every stray, lies the singular desire to be loved."
Back to top Go down
Alice
On The African Savanna
On The African Savanna
Alice

enough Vitamin C? Empty
PostSubject: Re: enough Vitamin C?   enough Vitamin C? EmptyMon Apr 21, 2008 8:17 am

My doctor asked if I was taking a multi-vitamin and I said no. He was going to tell
me to stop taking it if I was. I didn't think to ask him why, has anyone else
heard this?

Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : enough Vitamin C? Love-s10

enough Vitamin C? Empty
PostSubject: Re: enough Vitamin C?   enough Vitamin C? EmptyMon Apr 21, 2008 9:34 am

My friend swears by 'oregano oil' for just about everything. I haven't tried it, but she says it's amazing stuff. Hope you feel better Christina!!

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
ChristinaAL
Little House Lady
Little House Lady
ChristinaAL

enough Vitamin C? Empty
PostSubject: Re: enough Vitamin C?   enough Vitamin C? EmptyWed Apr 23, 2008 5:16 pm

Thanks Amy :) I'm probably jinxing myself, but I do feel better this time around. I think the cold/sinus infection was milder. Or maybe I've just been working on too many other things to let it slow me down too much. But thank you all for the advice :) I appreciate it!

Back to top Go down
Honeybee
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Honeybee

Number of posts : 3565

enough Vitamin C? Empty
PostSubject: Re: enough Vitamin C?   enough Vitamin C? EmptyFri Jul 01, 2011 2:16 am

I sometimes take my gummy multi-vitamins. I have hard time swallowing pills. I need remind myself to take the multi-vitamins, more often. I get headaches. It's worse, when just before my cycle comes on. I dont like orange juice. I tried eat my veggies.

wootwoot
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

enough Vitamin C? Empty
PostSubject: Re: enough Vitamin C?   enough Vitamin C? Empty

Back to top Go down

enough Vitamin C?
Page 1 of 1