Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Meet Molly

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

Meet Molly Empty
PostSubject: Meet Molly   Meet Molly EmptySun Jun 01, 2008 8:14 pm

I'm not sure if this is a true story. Molly's leg looks pretty real to me. But with Technology and the internet you never know. :think: She's amazing! grinsmiley

Meet Molly Molly1
Meet Molly. She's a gray speckled pony who was abandoned by her owners when Katrina hit southern Louisiana , USA . She spent weeks on her own before finally being rescued and taken to a farm where abandoned animals were stockpiled. While there, she was attacked by a pit bull terrier, and almost died. Her gnawed right front leg became infected and her vet went to LSU for help. But LSU was overwhelmed, and this pony was a welfare case. You know how that goes.

But after surgeon Rustin Moore met Molly, he changed his mind. He saw how the pony was careful to lie down on different sides so she didn't seem to get sores, and how she allowed people to handle her. She protected her injured leg. She constantly shifted her weight, and didn't overload her good leg. She was a smart pony with a serious survival ethic.

Moore agreed to remove her leg below the knee and a temporary artificial limb was built. Molly walked out of the clinic and her story really begins there.

"This was the right horse and the right owner," Moore insists.
Molly happened to be a one-in-a-million patient. She's tough as nails, but sweet, and she was willing to cope with pain. She made it obvious she understood (that) she was in trouble. The other important factor, according to Moore , is having a truly committed and compliant owner who is dedicated to providing the daily care required over the lifetime of the horse.

Molly's story turns into a parable for life in post-Katrina Louisiana . The little pony gained weight, her mane felt a comb. A human prosthesis designer built her a leg.

The prosthetic has given Molly a whole new life, Allison Barca DVM, Molly's regular vet, reports.
And she asks for it! She will put her little limb out, and come to you and let you know that she wants you to put it on. Sometimes she wants you to take it off too." And sometimes, Molly gets away from Barca. "It can be pretty bad when you can't catch a three-legged horse", she laughs.

Most important of all, Molly has a job now. Kay, the rescue farm owner, started taking Molly to shelters, hospitals, nursing homes, rehabilitation centers. Anywhere she thought that people needed hope. Wherever Molly went, she showed people her pluck. She inspired people. And she had a good time doing it.

"It's obvious to me that Molly had a bigger role to play in life", Moore said, "She survived the hurricane, she survived a horrible injury, and now she is giving hope to others."
"She's not back to normal," Barca concluded, "but she's going to be better. To me, she could be a symbol for New Orleans itself."
Meet Molly Molly2
Meet Molly Molly3
This is Molly's most recent prosthesis. The bottom photo shows the ground surface that she stands on, which has a smiley face embossed in it. Wherever Molly goes, she leaves a smiley hoof print behind!

Last edited by Susie on Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21171
Mood : Meet Molly Purple2

Meet Molly Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meet Molly   Meet Molly EmptySun Jun 01, 2008 10:08 pm

I got this in an email and it is so amazing.......we could all learn from Molly..... Wink

Meet Molly Rhonda10Meet Molly Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
Lily
"Beautiful Life"
Meet Molly LilyRank2
Lily

Number of posts : 6784
Mood : Meet Molly Vianne10

Meet Molly Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meet Molly   Meet Molly EmptySun Jun 01, 2008 10:09 pm

I received this in email too and this story is true. Isn't it amazing how much Molly had accomplished? She's such a beautiful horse and I'm so glad it's a happy ending!! Applause

"Within the heart of every stray, lies the singular desire to be loved."
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : Meet Molly Love-s10

Meet Molly Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meet Molly   Meet Molly EmptyTue Jun 03, 2008 7:51 am

Oh, this is the neatest warm fuzzy story!! Love Thanks for sharing it!! Thumbsup

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
pamh36
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
pamh36

Number of posts : 5900

Meet Molly Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meet Molly   Meet Molly EmptyWed Jun 04, 2008 5:33 am

Awww, that's a great story!

Meet Molly PamKeeper
Back to top Go down
ChristinaAL
Little House Lady
Little House Lady
ChristinaAL

Number of posts : 2761

Meet Molly Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meet Molly   Meet Molly EmptySun Jun 15, 2008 4:09 pm

Wow, that's pretty amazing! What a strong-willed creature.

Meet Molly ChristinaKeeper2 Meet Molly 10bChristina

"It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Meet Molly Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meet Molly   Meet Molly Empty

Back to top Go down

Meet Molly
Page 1 of 1