Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Dearest Albert, I'll Miss You

Go down 
+17
julmer70
Kamberley
littlehouselover
Shell
Pepsi
Gin
Davetucson
ChristineLovesLHOTP
Lori
Ruth
Vanesa
easyt72000
Krissy
Honeybee
bethandmanly
jes9
Kristina
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
orangecake
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 22

Charles - Dearest Albert, I'll Miss You - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dearest Albert, I'll Miss You   Charles - Dearest Albert, I'll Miss You - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 10:52 am

I recall the actress who protrayed Albert's disabled pen-pal, I think her first name was Suzy, stated in an interview years ago, a tree fell on her causing her disability. Very sad.
Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

Number of posts : 9374
Mood : Charles - Dearest Albert, I'll Miss You - Page 3 Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: Dearest Albert, I'll Miss You   Charles - Dearest Albert, I'll Miss You - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 11:19 am

orangecake wrote:
I recall the actress who protrayed Albert's disabled pen-pal, I think her first name was Suzy, stated in an interview years ago, a tree fell on her causing her disability. Very sad.

SUZY GILSTRAP was born in 1966 and attended High School in Irvine, California. She was on a school field trip to an arboretum near Los Angeles when her life was suddenly, cruelly changed. "I was crouching by a pond, feeding the ducks, when a huge branch from a nearby eucalyptus tree fell on my back," she remembers. "When I woke up in the hospital I was really scared. I cried for my mom and dad." They told her then that she would never walk again. "Of course it was a shock," she says, "but I never really had time to get depressed about it." Within four months she was back at school, and she credits her classmates' loving support with helping her through the transition.
Her first acting role was in Zoobilee, a TV series in 1986. She appeared on Cagney and Lacey and Skyward which Ron Howard directed. She co-produced and acted in Blue Crush in 2002. She has written a book called "Suzy, An Authorized Biography" that is currently available to view on Amazon.
Charles - Dearest Albert, I'll Miss You - Page 3 T2ec1610
Back to top Go down
orangecake
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 22

PostSubject: Re: Dearest Albert, I'll Miss You   Charles - Dearest Albert, I'll Miss You - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 12:58 pm

Wow that is sad, did she say how old she was? She was lucky to have kind classmates. That must have been one heavy branch. I hope her parents sued. What year is that pic from? I had great admiration for Christopher Reeves, Teddy Pendergast, and Curtis Mayfield too. They were also crippled in freak accidents. But they never gave up on their crafts. I respect Kirk Douglas too, who could forget his Oscar speech after his stroke. I also have deep repect for boxer Ali. Remember Geri Jewell from Facts of Life?
Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

PostSubject: Re: Dearest Albert, I'll Miss You   Charles - Dearest Albert, I'll Miss You - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 1:19 pm

She was eleven years of age when she had the accident, and the pic was taken in 1980, when she was 14.

"Albert, do you REALLY think you are old enough to know what love is?"
"I must be Pa. I love you, I have for a long time."
Back to top Go down
Shell
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
Shell

Number of posts : 1353
Mood : Charles - Dearest Albert, I'll Miss You - Page 3 Purple2

PostSubject: Re: Dearest Albert, I'll Miss You   Charles - Dearest Albert, I'll Miss You - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 9:54 pm

I had idea that Suzy is handicapped. Sounds like she had kind classmates to help her deal with her disability.
Back to top Go down
Shell
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
Shell

Number of posts : 1353
Mood : Charles - Dearest Albert, I'll Miss You - Page 3 Purple2

PostSubject: Re: Dearest Albert, I'll Miss You   Charles - Dearest Albert, I'll Miss You - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 9:56 pm

Davetucson wrote:
He had the sweetest disposition of them all. Just like his PA!

Down Ladies!
Charles - Dearest Albert, I'll Miss You - Page 3 Deares10
Charles - Dearest Albert, I'll Miss You - Page 3 Deares11
Charles - Dearest Albert, I'll Miss You - Page 3 Deares13
What cute smiles. Smile
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45733
Mood : Charles - Dearest Albert, I'll Miss You - Page 3 Headac10

PostSubject: Re: Dearest Albert, I'll Miss You   Charles - Dearest Albert, I'll Miss You - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 11:49 am

aww.how sad

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
julmer70
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
julmer70

Number of posts : 3301
Mood : Charles - Dearest Albert, I'll Miss You - Page 3 Happy010

PostSubject: Re: Dearest Albert, I'll Miss You   Charles - Dearest Albert, I'll Miss You - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 12:04 pm

Insp is airing this episode today! That and "Divorce, Walnut Grove Style!" Smile Love both episodes!
Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

PostSubject: Re: Dearest Albert, I'll Miss You   Charles - Dearest Albert, I'll Miss You - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 20, 2013 2:36 pm

"Albert, do you REALLY think you are old enough to know what love is?"
"I must be Pa. I love you, I have for a long time."
Back to top Go down
LHOTPfan2000
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
LHOTPfan2000

Number of posts : 675
Mood : Charles - Dearest Albert, I'll Miss You - Page 3 Confus10

PostSubject: Re: Dearest Albert, I'll Miss You   Charles - Dearest Albert, I'll Miss You - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 07, 2013 6:01 am

That's cute!

Charles - Dearest Albert, I'll Miss You - Page 3 PhoebeKeeper

“It was a huge shock when it came and very excited“

This was the duchess of cambridges take on how she felt when William proposed during their official engagement interview with ITN reporter Tom Bradby. There was a real giggle at the end. Cute.
Back to top Go down
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/phoeberule
Honeybee
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Honeybee

Number of posts : 3565

PostSubject: Re: Dearest Albert, I'll Miss You   Charles - Dearest Albert, I'll Miss You - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 7:26 pm

Wow, I didn't know she's handicapped in real life. I rewatch this episode. I love the peach dress, she wore. When she gotten her picture taken.

wootwoot
Back to top Go down
MankatoJoe
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler
MankatoJoe

Number of posts : 419
Mood : Charles - Dearest Albert, I'll Miss You - Page 3 Pbucket

PostSubject: Re: Dearest Albert, I'll Miss You   Charles - Dearest Albert, I'll Miss You - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 10, 2017 1:39 pm

Not my favourite episode, but good acting all round.
Back to top Go down
amyk
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler

Number of posts : 540

PostSubject: Re: Dearest Albert, I'll Miss You   Charles - Dearest Albert, I'll Miss You - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 10:11 pm

I have somewhat mixed feelings about this episode. I think I would be able to like it a lot more if, after professing their love for one another, we actually heard about Leslie Barton again. Albert is so in love with her that he lies and sneaks onto both the stagecoach and the train, but then we never hear him utter another word about her ever again. I know that is a lot of how episodic shows work, but it still bugs me.

One thing that is interesting to me about this episode is that it seems like Carrie has more lines in this episode than she ever had in any other episode except perhaps THE GODSISTER.
Back to top Go down
amyk
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler

PostSubject: Re: Dearest Albert, I'll Miss You   Charles - Dearest Albert, I'll Miss You - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 10:12 pm

jes9 wrote:
I think the girl's name was Leslie, but I'm not sure.  The first name that popped into my head was Penelope, but that was the girl that Albert liked at first but she liked Andy instead, and then Albert dropped the greased pig on her at the fair.  Getting back to "Dearest Albert...", I believe there's a serious anachronism here, because I don't believe basketball had been invented at that time.  If it had, I doubt it had spread to Minnesota yet.
And I doubt even more that girls would be playing it, at least to the point of having a whole girls' team.
Back to top Go down
amyk
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler

PostSubject: Re: Dearest Albert, I'll Miss You   Charles - Dearest Albert, I'll Miss You - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 10:18 pm

Davetucson wrote:
I may irritate some folks when I say this, but keep in mind, it is only an opinion. If Michael would have decided to really develop Carrie, I think they would have had to replace Lindsey and Sidney. Not the greatest actors in the world. I simply do not think they could have pulled it off. As sweet as they both were, I just don't think they were cut out for any heavy roles.  
Rose must have been something Gin if she could make Nancy look good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel like if Lindsey and Sidney only got more experience, they could have handled a bigger role in the series. Whichever one was playing Carrie when she was at the table and at the ending when Albert got the letter from Leslie, I felt she was doing a pretty good job. But I did not think the scene where Carrie wanted Pa to tell her a story was that believable. Again, though, it was like they still wanted her to be playing "Baby Carrie" rather than a growing-up Carrie. I just feel like they needed some better lines and maybe some additional acting lessons or coaching to develop more as they were growing up. From what I have seen of them in real life, though, they seem to be very sweet women. That's more important than being Emmy-award winning actresses any day.

Last edited by amyk on Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
amyk
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler

PostSubject: Re: Dearest Albert, I'll Miss You   Charles - Dearest Albert, I'll Miss You - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 10:23 pm

Davetucson wrote:
orangecake wrote:
I recall the actress who protrayed Albert's disabled pen-pal, I think her first name was Suzy, stated in an interview years ago, a tree fell on her causing her disability.  Very sad.

SUZY GILSTRAP was born in 1966 and attended High School in Irvine, California. She was on a school field trip to an arboretum near Los Angeles when her life was suddenly, cruelly changed. "I was crouching by a pond, feeding the ducks, when a huge branch from a nearby eucalyptus tree fell on my back," she remembers. "When I woke up in the hospital I was really scared. I cried for my mom and dad." They told her then that she would never walk again. "Of course it was a shock," she says, "but I never really had time to get depressed about it." Within four months she was back at school, and she credits her classmates' loving support with helping her through the transition.
Her first acting role was in Zoobilee, a TV series in 1986. She appeared on Cagney and Lacey and Skyward which Ron Howard directed. She co-produced and acted in Blue Crush in 2002. She has written a book called "Suzy, An Authorized Biography" that is currently available to view on Amazon.
Charles - Dearest Albert, I'll Miss You - Page 3 T2ec1610
I had no idea that she truly was paralyzed! That is really sad that such a freak accident happened to her and changed her life like that. But the character of Leslie could have been an amazing storyline if they had her character (for some reason) move to Walnut Grove.

I did not understand how she even got to be a pen pal because I thought all the pen pals were from a class at school, but it seemed to me like Leslie was tutored at home. I don't know if even a school in Minnesota would have been set up for someone in a wheelchair to attend at that time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dearest Albert, I'll Miss You   Charles - Dearest Albert, I'll Miss You - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Dearest Albert, I'll Miss You
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3