Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Election Results

Go down 
+11
HarrisonCrosby4387
Lori
emilyanneoftheprairie
EllieJane
Teresa
Kathleen Marie
bethandmanly
Amy
Alice
Savannah
Rob
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62620
Mood : Election Results - Page 2 Goodsi10

Election Results - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Election Results   Election Results - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 05, 2008 11:56 pm

Teresa wrote:
My husband and I stayed up last night to hear Obama's acceptance speech. Towards the end, he said, and I quote: "And to those Americans whose support I have yet to earn - I may not have won your vote, but I hear your voices, I need your help, and I will be your President too." I do have alot of respect for him, and he has my support as our new President.

I thought it was a great speech. Just words, I know, but words can have a magical effect. I get the feeling that one of Barack's strengths might be his ability to unite people.
Back to top Go down
susansmoose
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
susansmoose

Number of posts : 154
Mood : Election Results - Page 2 Xmassm5

PostSubject: Re: Election Results   Election Results - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 06, 2008 12:02 am

i agree rob

mccain also made a great concession speech, very gracious...
Back to top Go down
http://welcome.to/susans-moose
Lily
"Beautiful Life"
Election Results - Page 2 LilyRank2
Lily

Number of posts : 6784
Mood : Election Results - Page 2 Vianne10

PostSubject: Re: Election Results   Election Results - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 06, 2008 12:35 am

Politicians make a lot of promises and we all know that not all will be fulfilled. I believe words are powerful and it can influence people the way they think, believe and ultimately decide. Obama have a great deal of charm with words and great speeches and he did unite a lot of people together. But, he is inexperienced! I also believe that a lot more people came out this election to vote simply because there might be a chance that an African-American could be a President and the history would be made. That doesn't justify the qualification that he has to be the President of the US! Sorry I don't mean to step on anyone's toes but JMHO!

"Within the heart of every stray, lies the singular desire to be loved."
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Teresa

Number of posts : 5286
Mood : Election Results - Page 2 Happy010

PostSubject: Re: Election Results   Election Results - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 06, 2008 9:33 am

Yes, Lily, I agree with you as well.

Election Results - Page 2 TeresaKeeper
Back to top Go down
Kathleen Marie
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
Kathleen Marie

Number of posts : 685

PostSubject: Re: Election Results   Election Results - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 06, 2008 10:32 am

Let's just see what happens the next four years and hopefully we'll be able to see what he is all about and what he plans on doing with this country...it should be interesting...

Glad we were able to have this discussion without it getting heated...

Election Results - Page 2 KathyKeeper1
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Teresa

Number of posts : 5286

PostSubject: Re: Election Results   Election Results - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 06, 2008 10:46 am

That's the wonderful thing about this forum. Everyone is respectful of each other's opinions and feelings.

Election Results - Page 2 TeresaKeeper
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665

PostSubject: Re: Election Results   Election Results - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 06, 2008 12:21 pm

Lily wrote:
I also believe that a lot more people came out this election to vote simply because there might be a chance that an African-American could be a President and the history would be made. That doesn't justify the qualification that he has to be the President of the US! Sorry I don't mean to step on anyone's toes but JMHO!

:agree:

Election Results - Page 2 Horses10
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : Election Results - Page 2 Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: Election Results   Election Results - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 06, 2008 12:28 pm

Lily wrote:
Politicians make a lot of promises and we all know that not all will be fulfilled. I believe words are powerful and it can influence people the way they think, believe and ultimately decide. Obama have a great deal of charm with words and great speeches and he did unite a lot of people together. But, he is inexperienced! I also believe that a lot more people came out this election to vote simply because there might be a chance that an African-American could be a President and the history would be made. That doesn't justify the qualification that he has to be the President of the US! Sorry I don't mean to step on anyone's toes but JMHO!

I agree with you too Lily. I know there were many people who certainly were not under his oratory 'spell' or voting for reasons of making history, but I do believe there were many that did, who were looking more to 'shake things up' than to actually vote based on 'qualifications'. I also think that college campuses were a big vote for him...they are young and inexperienced, not paying taxes, not really in the 'real world' yet, so many just don't know what they're getting into. Not saying they're idiots, heck most of them are smarter than I am Wink , but they are not 'wise' yet either. With age comes perpective.

I think we saw another side of McCain the other night, one that had we seen before maybe he would have gotten even more votes. I don't think he could have won, no matter what, but I do think he was more 'human' the other night. Sometimes he seemed to 'act' and didn't come off 'naturally', IMO. He was very 'real' the other night, and that impressed me. There were times in his campaign that he was getting as 'folksy' as Palin, and I don't know, that kind of talk really put me off. Bush can be rather 'folksy' too (not sure how to explain it), and we needed a Republican who could really separate himself from Bush in order to have any shot whatsoever. You have an older candidate, who tended to speak similarly to Bush, who is a great friend of Bush, and who feels the same way about many policies. It was doomed from the beginning. We would have had a better shot with Romney, IMHO.

I think we can talk about this for right now (hopefully) because the election is over and it's prior to Obama being in office in January. No one is trying to persuade anyone else to vote for their candidate, and that's where political discussions on any board can get heated, as well as discussing the president currently in office, whether it's Bush or Obama. I think we can all be respectful toward McCain and Obama now, and talk about what we're feeling might be down the road for us. Once Obama is in office, all bets are off and political discussions might get heated up. I actually hate discussing politics, so you won't see me talking about this much once we get down to the wire. Wink But considering the election is over and Obama isn't even leading yet, hopefully there is no reason for anyone to get 'worked up'. We have a new president elect, we all have to accept that, and it's time to just hope and pray for these next 4 years. That would have been true had McCain won too. I am praying mostly that Obama is surrounding himself with experienced people, who will help him in making the best judgements....in this regard I am pleased that the senate is pretty well-split.

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Election Results   Election Results - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 06, 2008 12:40 pm

Rhonda wrote:
MattLabMyLove wrote:
But this is what God wants so it might turn out for the better. Only time will tell.

Being we don't know the mind of God, I cannot say that this would be what He wanted.....it was allowed to happen and it happened by the people. God gave us all the ability to choose what we want and not be robots, and this is what they chose. It will be interesting to see what happens......Obama may have gone out too far on that limb and might hang himself.......He really is inexperienced with what requirements there are for a President................ No

It is especially scary knowing that I have a son in the military.....Not real sure what will happen when you put a man in charge of the nations military and he hasn't a clue what to do with them..... Huh?

I just wanted to address this (and then I'll shut up grinsmiley). I agree with you Rhonda, Savannah and Emilyanne about this subject...it's clear we have different views around here on God, and His impact on our lives, but I just want to reiterate that I believe in a loving God, who doesn't want us to make bad choices or 'wrong' decisions, but allows us our free will. He parents us just as we should (and hopefully do) parent our own kids. It is difficult, but we are supposed to make mistakes and learn from them. I am in no way meaning to insinuat that Obama is a 'mistake' because certainly there are people here who wanted him, and how do I know he won't be the best president we've ever had?, but I standing by the notion that WE the People chose him, not God. This is just the way I see it...I don't mean to step on any toes.

Rhonda, I can imagine you're in turmoil over your son in the military right now. I'll be praying for him!

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
susansmoose
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
susansmoose

Number of posts : 154
Mood : Election Results - Page 2 Xmassm5

PostSubject: Re: Election Results   Election Results - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 06, 2008 12:56 pm

to me a politician is a politician..they all make promises on either side...we don't know if they will keep these promises until they get in office...

rhonda, i'm praying for your son as well
Back to top Go down
http://welcome.to/susans-moose
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665

PostSubject: Re: Election Results   Election Results - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 06, 2008 1:26 pm

Amy wrote:
Bush can be rather 'folksy' too (not sure how to explain it), and we needed a Republican who could really separate himself from Bush in order to have any shot whatsoever. You have an older candidate, who tended to speak similarly to Bush, who is a great friend of Bush, and who feels the same way about many policies. It was doomed from the beginning.

You can say that again...

I heard that Bush is finishing his presidency with the lowest approval from the american public... sad... so McCain had no shot...

Election Results - Page 2 Horses10
Back to top Go down
HarrisonCrosby4387
THE #1 Survivor fan
THE #1 Survivor fan
HarrisonCrosby4387

Number of posts : 4828
Mood : Election Results - Page 2 Happy011

PostSubject: Re: Election Results   Election Results - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 06, 2008 8:52 pm

Lily wrote:

Well, put Lily! He can sway people easily. A lot of people I know said they voted for him because he is such a good speaker. But that does not justifiy a good leader.

Only time will tell if this country falls or rises from where it is at.

LETS GO PENS!
Back to top Go down
Lily
"Beautiful Life"
Election Results - Page 2 LilyRank2
Lily

Number of posts : 6784
Mood : Election Results - Page 2 Vianne10

PostSubject: Re: Election Results   Election Results - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 07, 2008 12:43 am

All I gotta say is: From all the great speeches given, let's put all your words into action!

"Within the heart of every stray, lies the singular desire to be loved."
Back to top Go down
HarrisonCrosby4387
THE #1 Survivor fan
THE #1 Survivor fan
HarrisonCrosby4387

Number of posts : 4828
Mood : Election Results - Page 2 Happy011

PostSubject: Re: Election Results   Election Results - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 07, 2008 9:22 pm

Oh yeah Politicians are always all talk, but don't always deliver.

LETS GO PENS!
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62620
Mood : Election Results - Page 2 Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: Election Results   Election Results - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 07, 2008 9:27 pm

Amy, those were two really well-thought-out posts up there. Thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Election Results   Election Results - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 09, 2008 12:09 am

Thank you Rob. That means a lot to me. Wink

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Election Results   Election Results - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Election Results
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2