Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Plane crashes into the Hudson River, NYC

Go down 
+8
Toby
I Love Dean
Amy
Savannah
LIWnut
Gin
Teresa
Alice
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Alice
On The African Savanna
On The African Savanna
Alice

Number of posts : 10766
Mood : Plane crashes into the Hudson River, NYC Happy010

Plane crashes into the Hudson River, NYC Empty
PostSubject: Plane crashes into the Hudson River, NYC   Plane crashes into the Hudson River, NYC EmptyThu Jan 15, 2009 5:04 pm

A US Airways plane flight 1549 crash landed into the river at a little after 2:00 pm., EST.

They think it may have been a bird-strike.

The pilot made an amazing emergency landing, the plane did not break up and there were lots of water taxi's, etc. in the area.

It was a flight from LaGuardia to Charlotte (don't know if it's VA or NC)

The passengers who I saw getting onto boats looked like the were okay.

I wonder if Lily saw this happen?

Spring is finally here, the lovely pink blooms on the "spray" tree outside my window are gone leaving a beautiful willow.
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Teresa

Number of posts : 5286

PostSubject: Re: Plane crashes into the Hudson River, NYC   Plane crashes into the Hudson River, NYC EmptyThu Jan 15, 2009 6:19 pm

I think that everyone was able to get off safely. That could have been devastating with the frigid waters. I've been watching Brian Williams reporting on it. He interviewed a passenger that made it sound like everyone was safe. They think that a flock of geese hit both engines. They said that there hasn't been a commercial airline fatality in the United States in 2 years. That's amazing!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090115/ap_on_re_us/plane_in_river

Plane crashes into the Hudson River, NYC TeresaKeeper
Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

Number of posts : 5920
Mood : Plane crashes into the Hudson River, NYC Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: Plane crashes into the Hudson River, NYC   Plane crashes into the Hudson River, NYC EmptyThu Jan 15, 2009 6:56 pm

Wasn't there a flight that went down back in the '80s that went down in waters? I dont think many people survived that one.

Plane crashes into the Hudson River, NYC Project2

It is the lack of Christianity that has  brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts.  LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
Alice
On The African Savanna
On The African Savanna
Alice

Number of posts : 10766

PostSubject: Re: Plane crashes into the Hudson River, NYC   Plane crashes into the Hudson River, NYC EmptyThu Jan 15, 2009 7:10 pm

There was one that hit the 14th Street bridge and went into the Potomac, I'm not sure of the year, but it was freezing cold. There were quite a few fatalities.

I may be wrong about that.

Spring is finally here, the lovely pink blooms on the "spray" tree outside my window are gone leaving a beautiful willow.
Back to top Go down
LIWnut
Proverbs 3:5-6
Proverbs 3:5-6
LIWnut

Number of posts : 2539
Mood : Plane crashes into the Hudson River, NYC Cloud910

PostSubject: Re: Plane crashes into the Hudson River, NYC   Plane crashes into the Hudson River, NYC EmptyThu Jan 15, 2009 11:46 pm

Oh oh, another reason for Cheryl NOT to fly, lol.
I love to fly.

Plane crashes into the Hudson River, NYC MarilynKeeper Plane crashes into the Hudson River, NYC Bookclub2
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Plane crashes into the Hudson River, NYC Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428

PostSubject: Re: Plane crashes into the Hudson River, NYC   Plane crashes into the Hudson River, NYC EmptyThu Jan 15, 2009 11:50 pm

I was so glad to hear that there weren't any fatalities!
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Plane crashes into the Hudson River, NYC   Plane crashes into the Hudson River, NYC EmptyThu Jan 15, 2009 11:52 pm

Me too! How scary!!

Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417

PostSubject: Re: Plane crashes into the Hudson River, NYC   Plane crashes into the Hudson River, NYC EmptyFri Jan 16, 2009 11:51 am

I read that a goose got sucked up into an engine, so it sounds like it was more that just hitting the flock or meese, oh I mean geese. batEyes (see Savannah's "two things" thread if you're confused grinsmiley ). This really IS a miracle...they said that generally a plane will split apart upon impact to water, that it's worse than landing on ground! It's a testament to the design of the plane, as much as to that experienced, clear-headed pilot. Thumbsup Seeing all those people standing on those plane's wings truly was a sight to behold, when you think of what could have happened.

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa

Last edited by Amy on Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Teresa

PostSubject: Re: Plane crashes into the Hudson River, NYC   Plane crashes into the Hudson River, NYC EmptyFri Jan 16, 2009 11:54 am

This was such an amazing ordeal!! I am so glad that all 155 people on the plane were rescued safely. I watched some of the passengers this morning as Matt Lauer interviewed them on the Today Show. There was a couple on, with their 2 children. Their daughter was 9, and their son was 9 months. The pilot did an AMAZING job landing that plane, and what a blessing that all of those ferries were right there to help out as soon as they did.

Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417

PostSubject: Re: Plane crashes into the Hudson River, NYC   Plane crashes into the Hudson River, NYC EmptyFri Jan 16, 2009 12:01 pm

Can you even imagine having a young child and baby?! Boy, that's something that little girl will never forget. No Talk about traumatic. How blessed every single person must be feeling waking up this morning, you know? And how PROUD that pilot's wife must be of her hubby right now...it truly is an amazing thing.

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
I Love Dean
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler
I Love Dean

Number of posts : 329
Mood : Plane crashes into the Hudson River, NYC Purple2

PostSubject: Re: Plane crashes into the Hudson River, NYC   Plane crashes into the Hudson River, NYC EmptyFri Jan 16, 2009 6:56 pm

This is truly an amazing story. The pilot and his crew should all be commended. I am hearing the co-pilot is from Wisconsin and one of the flight attendants incurred a broken leg. Those photos of all those people standing out on the planes wings are truly amazing and to think of how long that plane stayed afloat is amazing in itself. I am sure this will be used as a textbook training event for many, many years.

What a happy ending !!

Plane crashes into the Hudson River, NYC Dd4
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Plane crashes into the Hudson River, NYC   Plane crashes into the Hudson River, NYC EmptyFri Jan 16, 2009 8:29 pm

Alice wrote:
There was one that hit the 14th Street bridge and went into the Potomac, I'm not sure of the year, but it was freezing cold. There were quite a few fatalities.

I may be wrong about that.

I remember that one well, as do you I am sure, as we live in the same area. Yes, a lot of people died, but some survived.

My grandfather had just crossed that bridge coming home from work when the plane hit it. I was also 6pm getting home from school on the school bus. It was snowing so hard!!

That was 27 years ago!!

Luckily, no one died in this crash. I give kudos to the pilot and those people who pitched in to help. It's being dubbed The Miracle On The Hudson.
Back to top Go down
Toby
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
Toby

Number of posts : 239

PostSubject: Re: Plane crashes into the Hudson River, NYC   Plane crashes into the Hudson River, NYC EmptySun Jan 18, 2009 12:50 pm

This was an amazing story. You definitely don't hear of too many planes going down with everybody surviving. In 1987 in Detroit a plane went down and the only survivor was a four year old girl.
Back to top Go down
https://littlehousebluray.wordpress.com/
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62620
Mood : Plane crashes into the Hudson River, NYC Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: Plane crashes into the Hudson River, NYC   Plane crashes into the Hudson River, NYC EmptySun Jan 18, 2009 1:05 pm

I remember that well, Toby. I vaguely remembered the girl's name being Cecelia. It was quite a story - over 150 killed, and only one survivor. Here's what Wiki says about her:

The lone survivor of the aircraft was four-year-old Cecelia Cichan of Tempe, Arizona. Cecelia Cichan's mother, Paula Cichan died in the crash, along with her father, Michael Cichan, and her 6-year-old brother, David Cichan. After the crash, Cecelia Cichan-Lumpkin lived with relatives in Birmingham, Alabama, who shielded her from public attention. She graduated from the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa, Alabama in the spring of 2006 with a bachelor's degree in psychology.
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62620
Mood : Plane crashes into the Hudson River, NYC Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: Plane crashes into the Hudson River, NYC   Plane crashes into the Hudson River, NYC EmptySun Jan 18, 2009 1:15 pm

Plane crashes into the Hudson River, NYC 0816flight255-autosized258-tm

Cecelia.
Back to top Go down
Toby
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
Toby

PostSubject: Re: Plane crashes into the Hudson River, NYC   Plane crashes into the Hudson River, NYC EmptySun Jan 18, 2009 1:42 pm

There is a pretty good article about the Flight 255 crash in Detroit in which Cecelia survived at the following link. http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/usworld/news-article.aspx?storyid=89208
Back to top Go down
Lily
"Beautiful Life"
Plane crashes into the Hudson River, NYC LilyRank2
Lily

Number of posts : 6784
Mood : Plane crashes into the Hudson River, NYC Vianne10

PostSubject: Re: Plane crashes into the Hudson River, NYC   Plane crashes into the Hudson River, NYC EmptySun Jan 18, 2009 3:40 pm

I remember the '87 crash too. I just couldn't finished reading the story wihtout wiping away tears. It hit hard reading what the mother of the 12-year-old boy said about the guy sat next to her son was a father travelling alone, and that she had to believe in her heart he was holding her son when the plan crashed. bawling

"Within the heart of every stray, lies the singular desire to be loved."
Back to top Go down
Toby
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
Toby

PostSubject: Re: Plane crashes into the Hudson River, NYC   Plane crashes into the Hudson River, NYC EmptySun Jan 18, 2009 4:39 pm

Lily wrote:
I remember the '87 crash too. I just couldn't finished reading the story wihtout wiping away tears. It hit hard reading what the mother of the 12-year-old boy said about the guy sat next to her son was a father travelling alone, and that she had to believe in her heart he was holding her son when the plan crashed. bawling

I should have warned people that it was a pretty emotional article to read. It's frustrating to know that this tragedy would have been avoided if the pilots had gone over a required checklist. I'm glad that the plane in New York had an outstanding pilot whose quick thinking and skill saved 155 lives.
Back to top Go down
alexczarn
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

Number of posts : 22999

PostSubject: Re: Plane crashes into the Hudson River, NYC   Plane crashes into the Hudson River, NYC EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 6:09 pm

I know this is a real old thread, but the US Airways pilot was a trained gliding pilot and instructor.

Plane crashes into the Hudson River, NYC Alexke11
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136
Mood : Plane crashes into the Hudson River, NYC Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: Plane crashes into the Hudson River, NYC   Plane crashes into the Hudson River, NYC EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 6:31 pm

I'm glad everyone is safe in this plane accident. It's not the first plane crash in which everyone survives, but it's somewhat scaring, after all.... affraid

Vanesa.

Plane crashes into the Hudson River, NYC Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Plane crashes into the Hudson River, NYC   Plane crashes into the Hudson River, NYC Empty

Back to top Go down

Plane crashes into the Hudson River, NYC
Page 1 of 1