Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The nation's economy

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665
Mood : The nation's economy Happy010

The nation's economy Empty
PostSubject: The nation's economy   The nation's economy EmptyTue Jan 27, 2009 4:47 pm

Let's talk about it here.

California is about to run out of money bawling
I heard that some people who usually get tax refunds might get an IOU instead :faint2:

The nation's economy Horses10
Back to top Go down
Kristina
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Kristina

Number of posts : 7865
Mood : The nation's economy Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: The nation's economy   The nation's economy EmptyTue Jan 27, 2009 5:21 pm

I like what you said, Carol. my english teacher last semester had me thinking that we were going into another Great Depression! I'm scared of running out of money, that's why I want to find a job. I hope everyone else is doing alright!
Back to top Go down
Samantha
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
Samantha

Number of posts : 199
Mood : The nation's economy Mornincoffee

PostSubject: Re: The nation's economy   The nation's economy EmptyThu Jan 29, 2009 2:18 am

This topic is extremely complicated, however I highly doubt that anyone will get an IOU for their tax return. There would be a revolt if that happened. I live in California so I am versed on the issues for this state.

What will most likely happen is that funding will be pulled from much needed programs for the elderly, the disabled, and low income individuals. Education programs for children and public works will also feel the sting. More people will lose jobs but it won't last forever. The economy won't fix itself overnight because the problems at hand have been building for decades.

We are not in a Great Depression, but we are in a depression. Everyone will have a different solution because each one of us has a different set of circumstances.

The most important thing is to have faith...

The nation's economy SamanthaKeeper

"Music is a Kind and Truthful Speech"
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600
Mood : The nation's economy Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: The nation's economy   The nation's economy EmptyThu Jan 29, 2009 10:27 am

The current economic situation is why I'm not all for the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act. While, in theory, it's a great thing because we want to make sure any product our children come in contact with is safe, it is going to cripple smaller businesses. Large manufacturers will just up the price of their products to make up for the additional expense--which means we'll be getting hit in the pocketbook even more during an already difficult time--but the smaller guys may not have that option.

I live in a highly regulated state where it is not cost effective to do business. Many businesses would rather move out of Massachusetts or go overseas than stay here. This puts a heavier burden on the residential taxpayers, in addition, it ups the unemployment rate. The work force complains about losing jobs overseas, but then we have this new law that will make it even harder for companies to do business.

Now, if in implementing this law, trade with China--the origin of toys from the two huge recalls from last year--was impacted and we were able to bring more jobs back to America and make it cost effective for companies to do business here instead, then I'm all for that. Since lead paints aren't really used in America anymore and since books are printed with materials that have a lead content less than the allowable amount, we could then repeal the law and boost the economy at the same time.

I just don't see the government being smart enough to do that. Whistle

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The nation's economy   The nation's economy Empty

Back to top Go down

The nation's economy
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Little House on the Prairie :: Walnut Grove Community :: Town Gossip-