Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A Promise To Keep

Go down 
+10
Davetucson
ChristineLovesLHOTP
Krissy
Carol
Gin
Vanesa
Savannah
bethandmanly
Joe
Kristina
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Kristina
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Kristina

Number of posts : 7863
Mood : A Promise To Keep Bokmal10

A Promise To Keep Empty
PostSubject: A Promise To Keep   A Promise To Keep EmptyMon Feb 23, 2009 7:00 pm

I'm not sure if I liked this episode. I understand why Laura helped Mr Edwards, after all he had done for her when she was younger, but I don't understand why she did after what happened with Albert. even with what happened with Albert (I'm glad he was okay!) I do have to say that this episode taught a good lesson on loyalty
Back to top Go down
Joe
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
Joe

Number of posts : 875
Mood : A Promise To Keep Innoce10

A Promise To Keep Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Promise To Keep   A Promise To Keep EmptyThu May 07, 2009 11:34 pm

....and forgiveness and friendship.
Charles was wrong to turn his back I thought.
Loved how Charles came back in the end and asked for forgiveness.
Drink will tear some people apart and I thought this was a great story of the power of will power over addiction.

"Willie, were you or were you not looking at the corsett ads in the catalogue?" - Nels

A Promise To Keep Pbucket
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600

A Promise To Keep Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Promise To Keep   A Promise To Keep EmptyFri May 08, 2009 12:24 pm

I enjoyed this episode, except that Brian Part and Bonnie Bartlett weren't in it.  John's death hit Isaiah hard and he turned to drinking--as he had in the past--to drown his sorrow.  I don't think Charles could help how he felt.  As a parent I might act the same; but Laura's compassion for Isaiah was crucial to his ability to heal and move on.  Perhaps she was able to do this because it involved two people she loved very much and couldn't choose between them.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg

Last edited by bethandmanly on Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
A Promise To Keep Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428
Mood : A Promise To Keep Happy010

A Promise To Keep Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Promise To Keep   A Promise To Keep EmptyFri May 08, 2009 1:43 pm

bethandmanly wrote:
I don't think Charles could help how he felt. As I parent I might act the same;

I totally agree. I haven't seen the episode in years - but thinking about it in modern terms . . . .If a friend of mine got drunk, and drove a vehicle with one of my precious nieces or nephews in it, crashed the vehicle and nearly killed them?? That would not be an easy thing to forgive, no matter how dear that friend was. Pa's love for Isaiah eventually allowed him to be able to mend that friendship, but he had a lot of pain and anger to work through before being able to forgive Isaiah and that kind of thing takes time. I can't agree that Charles was wrong in what he did - I think that he was just very human, and had the heart of a loving father. I think if Isaiah had accidentally injured Charles, that forgiveness wouldn't have been nearly as difficult in coming - but one of the hardest things in the world to bear is to see someone you love hurt, especially if that someone is a child.
Back to top Go down

A Promise To Keep Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Promise To Keep   A Promise To Keep EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 7:08 am

A wonderful episode. I am on the fence on if Charles was wrong or not.
Back to top Go down

A Promise To Keep Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Promise To Keep   A Promise To Keep EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 4:53 pm

When the Ingalls' & Wilder's were at the Christening, Carrie & Cassandra didn't sit together, James, Cassandra & Grace sat together & Albert & Carrie sat together.
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136

A Promise To Keep Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Promise To Keep   A Promise To Keep EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 12:20 am

I think Charles WAS wrong. I'm not saying that I would act differently of he did.Maybe not. But he was wrong. If Jesus could forgive hiw own murders, I think we can forgive the person who hurt accidentally one of our beloved ones...

Vanesa.

A Promise To Keep Vanesa10
Back to top Go down

A Promise To Keep Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Promise To Keep   A Promise To Keep EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 12:02 pm

What would've happened if Mr. Edwards caused Pa's accident
Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

Number of posts : 5920
Mood : A Promise To Keep Love-s10

A Promise To Keep Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Promise To Keep   A Promise To Keep EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 12:49 pm

I think Charles had a very human reaction. He SAID he wanted Isaiah to "go away", but what deep down he meant is for the alcoholism to go away. It was the problem that caused a good man to choose unwisely.
Vanessa, you had a good point in showing how Jesus forgave those that were killing him. Its so hard today to see that we have to do the same to be Christ like.
In, Charles' situation he needed to put space between himself and his dear friend. Sometimes that is best for awhile.
I agree Cheryl, Laura wanted peace and she knew she didn't want to loose Mr. Edwards. She had to try. In this case it worked with love and patience.
Another great episode on how what we put into our bodies can sometimes make us into what we don't want to be.

A Promise To Keep Project2

It is the lack of Christianity that has  brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts.  LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136

A Promise To Keep Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Promise To Keep   A Promise To Keep EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 1:26 am

Yes, Gin. You are right. Charles reaction is very human. I think I should act in the same way he did, even if I know I'm wrong. No

The problem is that we tends to forget that alcoholism is a sickness, and that the person who is an alcoholic is not responsible for what he/she does. We don't realize it and we uses to treat the alcoholic as if he/she really knows what he/she is doing. They are not able to know they are acting wrong. That's the cause for they deserves all our attention, love and compassion. Laura understod it very well. When Mr. Edwards drove that chariot badly and caused Albert's accident he didn't know what he was doing...He was not Mr. Edwards any more. Alcoholism was killing his personnality. I know what I'm speaking about, since I have a case of alcoholism in my own family. Believe me: a great person becomes a monster when he becomes drunk. You can barely recognize him/her.The bad thing is that people tend to judge this person as if he/she was sober... Blue

Vanesa.

A Promise To Keep Vanesa10
Back to top Go down

A Promise To Keep Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Promise To Keep   A Promise To Keep EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 12:03 pm

What if Cassandra became afraid of Mr.Edwards?
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665
Mood : A Promise To Keep Happy010

A Promise To Keep Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Promise To Keep   A Promise To Keep EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 1:04 pm

ham wrote:
What if Cassandra became afraid of Mr.Edwards?

Then she'd be afraid of Mr. Edwards!.... and cry!

A Promise To Keep Horses10
Back to top Go down

A Promise To Keep Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Promise To Keep   A Promise To Keep EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 1:18 pm

Yes, I wrote a story about what would've happened if Cassandra skipped the christening
Back to top Go down

A Promise To Keep Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Promise To Keep   A Promise To Keep EmptySat Sep 04, 2010 9:21 pm

Savannah wrote:
bethandmanly wrote:
I don't think Charles could help how he felt. As I parent I might act the same;

I totally agree. I haven't seen the episode in years - but thinking about it in modern terms . . . .If a friend of mine got drunk, and drove a vehicle with one of my precious nieces or nephews in it, crashed the vehicle and nearly killed them?? That would not be an easy thing to forgive, no matter how dear that friend was. Pa's love for Isaiah eventually allowed him to be able to mend that friendship, but he had a lot of pain and anger to work through before being able to forgive Isaiah and that kind of thing takes time. I can't agree that Charles was wrong in what he did - I think that he was just very human, and had the heart of a loving father. I think if Isaiah had accidentally injured Charles, that forgiveness wouldn't have been nearly as difficult in coming - but one of the hardest things in the world to bear is to see someone you love hurt, especially if that someone is a child.

i agree with u
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45733
Mood : A Promise To Keep Headac10

A Promise To Keep Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Promise To Keep   A Promise To Keep EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 10:33 am

liked this one..Think it was a good one!!

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
ChristineLovesLHOTP
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
ChristineLovesLHOTP

Number of posts : 227
Mood : A Promise To Keep Goodsi10

A Promise To Keep Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Promise To Keep   A Promise To Keep EmptyFri Mar 02, 2012 11:59 pm

I thought this episode was good.......

“I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.”
― Laura Ingalls Wilder
Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

Number of posts : 9374

A Promise To Keep Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Promise To Keep   A Promise To Keep EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 2:37 pm

Wrong? Right? This story was about forgiveness......It's pretty obvious that Charles knew he was wrong, he asked Edwards to forgive him. That was the whole point of the story..Charles was human....Albert was severely injured.....Anyone would react the same way.......
I'm surprised Charles didn't get more physical than he did with Edwards. Charles could get pretty testy when it came to the kids.

"Albert, do you REALLY think you are old enough to know what love is?"
"I must be Pa. I love you, I have for a long time."
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

A Promise To Keep Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Promise To Keep   A Promise To Keep EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 4:37 pm

Davetucson wrote:
Wrong? Right? This story was about forgiveness......It's pretty obvious that Charles knew he was wrong, he asked Edwards to forgive him. That was the whole point of the story..Charles was human....Albert was severely injured.....Anyone would react the same way.......
I'm surprised Charles didn't get more physical than he did with Edwards. Charles could get pretty testy when it came to the kids.

Yes.You can understand him for getting upset. but least they made up in the end.

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
ChristineLovesLHOTP
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
ChristineLovesLHOTP

Number of posts : 227
Mood : A Promise To Keep Goodsi10

A Promise To Keep Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Promise To Keep   A Promise To Keep EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 9:34 pm

I'm trying to remember....is this the episode where Grace leaves Isaiah and takes the two children away with her to get remarried.

“I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.”
― Laura Ingalls Wilder
Back to top Go down
Shell
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
Shell

Number of posts : 1353
Mood : A Promise To Keep Purple2

A Promise To Keep Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Promise To Keep   A Promise To Keep EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 8:45 pm

Grace kicked Isaiah out because of his drinking. She wrote to him telling him she filed for divorce and met another man.
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

A Promise To Keep Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Promise To Keep   A Promise To Keep EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 9:40 pm

I wish they could have stayed together.I guess i don't blame grace.

Back to top Go down
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
littlehouselover

Number of posts : 1056

A Promise To Keep Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Promise To Keep   A Promise To Keep EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 6:01 am

I think this show was pretty accurate. Alcohol and other addictions can be pretty strong and Mr. Edwards always liked his drink. He once asked Grace why she married him, she knew how he was (when he had was sneaking off to a saloon) and she said because she loved him.
You would think, as much as he loved all his children, Alicia wrapping herself around his heart, Carl, so much wanting to be like him, he'd do anything to be with them...but I've seen so many people destroy what they loved, selling out to the bottle or drug.
It angered me when I first watched it, I thought the writers made him evil, but even if Mr. Landon had a beef with him about going onto another show and writing him off for a while, what they wrote wasn't unbelievable.

On as side note I found it every weird to see the woman who played "Ellen's" mom as Mrs. Edwards. She had a more stern tone about her too.
Back to top Go down
CarrieandCassandraFan
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 43
Mood : A Promise To Keep Pbucket

A Promise To Keep Empty
PostSubject: BLOOPER ALERT   A Promise To Keep EmptyThu Jan 28, 2016 11:54 pm

A Promise To Keep Charley%20and%20Violet%203
During Rose's Christening, Carrie looked at the camera! She wasn't suppose to do that!
BLOOPER!
Back to top Go down
amyk
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler

Number of posts : 540

A Promise To Keep Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Promise To Keep   A Promise To Keep EmptyMon Jul 05, 2021 10:00 pm

This one is so good.....except I really hate the stuff about Grace filing for divorce, especially when it has not even been very long at all (apparently) since she kicked Isaiah out of the house. I think that the writers should have had Grace and the kids also move back to Walnut Grove after Isaiah stopped his drinking. And even if they had to have Grace file for divorce, I think having this new man in her life is way too fast and totally unnecessary. They could have just had Grace file for divorce but not have this new man.

But apart from the Grace stuff, the rest of the episode is so excellent. I think it is so good to show how Isaiah was in bondage to the alcohol even though he didn't really want to be and how his addiction hurt so many people. Was this the start of Albert's morphine addiction, too, since Doc Baker gave him morphine for the pain?

My favorite part, though, is when Isaiah goes to the church and prays and then the heart-to-heart with Revd. Alden. And so neat that Revd. Alden actually had been an alcoholic himself. I wonder what he meant that he lost everything? Was he married before and had a family??
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

A Promise To Keep Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Promise To Keep   A Promise To Keep Empty

Back to top Go down

A Promise To Keep
Page 1 of 1