Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Melissa's Autobiography

Go down 
+26
Rob
LHOTPFan
Honeybee
Praire Girl
Shell
Ruth
littlehouselover
Davetucson
Savannah
charles ingalls
LIWnut
Krissy
Julia
Vanesa
MissOleson
Cetacea
jes9
JW
ChristinaAL
Kristina
Carol
Gin
Amy
bethandmanly
Robinsgirl
carolineingalls
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage

Melissa's Autobiography - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Autobiography   Melissa's Autobiography - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 12:36 pm

I agree and I think that's where some of my disappointment comes from when I read her book, that even though I know it's not realistic, I pictured her living this fairy tale type of life and everyone on Little House being perfect. There were some things I already knew, but when I read the deeper stories behind it and realized things weren't what I assumed, it's hard to know life wasn't nearly as perfect as I thought...If that makes any sense. :) I knew she and MSA weren't close and that she was adopted, but I was a little sad to know she doesn't have much contact with Jonathan, her brother. (Willie)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Autobiography   Melissa's Autobiography - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 10:53 am

bethandmanly wrote:
sweetheart wrote:
ManlyFan wrote:
I can't remember, but I think there is roughly 8-9 years between them. So I'm sure if she was around 16 when those scenes were taking place, the thought of having to kiss and be in love with somone someone who was 23 or 24 would have seemed daunting.

ohok!..Yeah i can understand that too!..That is a big age differences...But she did do a good job with them kind of sences at her age!!!

That is a big difference, especially when she wasn't dating when Dean first came on the set. There were only three years between my son's father and me and the difference seemed enormous at times. I was still in high school while he was working. He drove, I didn't. He had dated before, I hadn't. I couldn't imagine kissing a 24-year-old guy when I was sixteen. Of course, for Dean I might have made an exception. Cool

sweetheart wrote:
Iam still reading mine!...I think it's a pretty good book so far!......one thing i was supprrised at was she said she and melissa sue were not very close!I also thought they were or would of been!..I think it's really sweet and nice how all the ppl on the lhotp set were so close to eacher!!!!

I had heard this before, so it doesn't surprise me. In MG's interview with the final three movies she said that she saw MSA as the typical older sister so it never seemed like they were very chummy. I think it is even harder when MG and the others were so close, yet MSA seemed almost like an outsider. It's too bad because you really want to have this idea that everything was always perfect on the set even when you know that's impossible.

I see what your saying and i agree1& That's very true!!!I did't know MSA left the show i always thought she was just wriiten off of the show!......I wished she was in the last movie it would of been nice to see here there!..I guess u could say i was kind of very supprised with some of the stuff i was reading!.....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Autobiography   Melissa's Autobiography - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 10:57 am

ManlyFan wrote:
I agree and I think that's where some of my disappointment comes from when I read her book, that even though I know it's not realistic, I pictured her living this fairy tale type of life and everyone on Little House being perfect. There were some things I already knew, but when I read the deeper stories behind it and realized things weren't what I assumed, it's hard to know life wasn't nearly as perfect as I thought...If that makes any sense. :) I knew she and MSA weren't close and that she was adopted, but I was a little sad to know she doesn't have much contact with Jonathan, her brother. (Willie)

I did't know before that Jonathan was her adopted brother!..That's sad that they don't see eacher much anymore!!...Yeah i was always thinging things on the set was perfucted to and that everybody was so close has ever!!!...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Autobiography   Melissa's Autobiography - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 11:01 am

I was woundering!..If he felt mybe a little werid doing them kissing sences with MG seeing how he was 24 and she was 16!if that makes sence!
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600
Mood : Melissa's Autobiography - Page 2 Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Autobiography   Melissa's Autobiography - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 3:39 pm

sweetheart wrote:
I was woundering!..If he felt mybe a little werid doing them kissing sences with MG seeing how he was 24 and she was 16!if that makes sence!

It does make sense, and since she wasn't even dating when Dean started on the show it probably made it even harder. If she had some experience dating she might not have been as intimidated by him; but she was so young.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Autobiography   Melissa's Autobiography - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 4:15 pm

bethandmanly wrote:
sweetheart wrote:

It does make sense, and since she wasn't even dating when Dean started on the show it probably made it even harder. If she had some experience dating she might not have been as intimidated by him; but she was so young.
yup!,Very true again!...I really can understand MG For feeling how she did at the time!..I would of felt the very same why!

Am almost finshed with the book
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665
Mood : Melissa's Autobiography - Page 2 Happy010

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Autobiography   Melissa's Autobiography - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 5:20 pm

I gotta say that both Melissa & Dean did well with this kiss... even though it might have felt weird... in the tv series, it looked romantic and just right Love

Melissa's Autobiography - Page 2 Horses10
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Autobiography   Melissa's Autobiography - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 8:04 pm

Carol wrote:
I gotta say that both Melissa & Dean did well with this kiss... even though it might have felt weird... in the tv series, it looked romantic and just right Love
:agree:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Autobiography   Melissa's Autobiography - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 05, 2009 6:01 am

I stayed out of this thread while I was reading the book. It took me a while because I only read a little here and there when I had time. I really enjoyed most of the book! I had a hard time at the end when Melissa got into the SAG part. I found it all very boring and had to push myself to read it. But I thought the rest of the book was great. grinsmiley
Back to top Go down
ChristinaAL
Little House Lady
Little House Lady
ChristinaAL

Number of posts : 2761

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Autobiography   Melissa's Autobiography - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 06, 2009 11:33 am

I'm about a third through the book, trying to read whenever I can, and so far I'm really enjoying it! I was a little sad to be past the Little House stuff, but reading about how Melissa really felt when she was hanging out with The Brat Pack, who all looked like they were having the time of their lives, was really interesting too. In a lot of ways, she seemed like any other high school girl who had trouble fitting in and just wanted to be accepted. She really wrote this with a lot of honesty and held nothing back; while I am finding certain parts surprising, I'm really enjoying it.

Melissa's Autobiography - Page 2 ChristinaKeeper2 Melissa's Autobiography - Page 2 10bChristina

"It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong."
Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

Number of posts : 5920
Mood : Melissa's Autobiography - Page 2 Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Autobiography   Melissa's Autobiography - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 4:49 pm

I have finished this book in just 4 days. I am glad I bought it and really glad she wrote it. I think for her this book probably was something SHE needed to be able to see her accomplishments. She was brave to tell all she did tell, but with being a celebrity things always have a way of leaking. I'm just glad she got to tell things her way.
Her losses have been huge, but now I think she can see her strength. I will never be one to enjoy reading something with tarnished language, so I guess that is one thing that bothered me. Despite that it was a page turner. If nothing else but to see a better day for her with each chapter.
I think of it all the last chapter was wonderful. She quoted LIW and talked of going through one of the homesites museums. Just before that chapter I thought of how much Melissa gave us by showing us a face to Laura, and how she hadn't gotten to experience Laura's magic as we had. It saddened me.
BUT then reading that she got to touch Laura's nightgown, I think she finally did. SHe knew it was a link to Laura, and I'm glad that Melissa got to really feel that connection.
My hope is that Melissa is content, happy and loved in her life as it is now. She like Laura gave us her gift and I'm thankful to her for that.

Melissa's Autobiography - Page 2 Project2

It is the lack of Christianity that has  brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts.  LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Autobiography   Melissa's Autobiography - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 29, 2009 12:12 pm

I'm in the process of reading the book right now....I bought it when it first came out but was wrapped up in another book at the time. I'll admit it---I skipped to the chapter that spoke of her experience when they hired Dean! I had to know, LOL! But so far, like many of you have said, this is very well written ,and like you said Gin, a 'quick read'. She is an excellent writer!! Applause

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Autobiography   Melissa's Autobiography - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 02, 2009 12:59 pm

Are you finished yet Amy huh, huh? lol

It is the lack of Christianity that has  brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts.  LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Autobiography   Melissa's Autobiography - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 02, 2009 2:43 pm

Gin wrote:
I will never be one to enjoy reading something with tarnished language, so I guess that is one thing that bothered me. Despite that it was a page turner. If nothing else but to see a better day for her with each chapter.

This is what has stoppd me from making time to read the rest of it. I skipped to the Dean chapter and was a bit disappointed. That she thought he looked lik a "doofus" with that hat didn't bother me,--I never liked the first hat either--even though I'm not sure I could be brave enough to share stuff about my co-workers and friends, but the nasty language she used in the book and that she uses on Twitter is such a turn-off for me. I don't expect her to be a saint, and in a contest, my pirate talk might make her seem like more of a saint, :shy: but I don't think it's necessary in a biography.

Stephen King's memoir "On Writing" has the same issue. It was so littered with the "F-word" that I found it distracting.

I must be getting old or something. Laughing

Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Autobiography   Melissa's Autobiography - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 03, 2009 9:00 pm

I'm still reading Gin! Thumbsup I'm getting there....I'll let you know when I'm done! I just read a part where she talks about Michael sitting behind her in the theater viewing "the Miracle Worker" for the first time. After the last scene, she turned around to look at him, and he had tears rolling down his face. He held her in his arms and just kept saying "Oh my God. Oh my God", and she said it was the first time she rendered him speechless and it made her feel so good. That part really moved me...they sure did have something special.

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Cetacea
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 24
Mood : Melissa's Autobiography - Page 2 Indiff10

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Autobiography   Melissa's Autobiography - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 12:47 pm

Hello everyone

I got mine a couple days ago. I already finished it. The part about LHOTP was rather interesting, there were a lot things I didn't know about. I find it sad, that she hasn't a good relationship with her brother. It looks like his life around her wasn't that easy.

From the rest of the book, there were parts, I didn't need to know. But I still think it was an interesting read. Thanks to the book, I realized that between Melissa and Laura is quite a difference.
Back to top Go down
carolineingalls
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
carolineingalls

Number of posts : 1209
Mood : Melissa's Autobiography - Page 2 Pbucket

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Autobiography   Melissa's Autobiography - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 06, 2009 2:15 pm

I thought it was a very honest account of Melissa's life through good times and bad, exactly what an autobiography should be. It let us all know her life wasn't the bed of roses we probably all thought it might have been and, like the rest of us, her family has it's problems too.

Melissa's Autobiography - Page 2 MaureenKeeper

"To change your life takes a lot of courage and energy. It's not for wimps." Karen Grassle. April 2006
Back to top Go down
ChristinaAL
Little House Lady
Little House Lady
ChristinaAL

Number of posts : 2761

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Autobiography   Melissa's Autobiography - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 07, 2009 12:14 am

Gin wrote:
I have finished this book in just 4 days. I am glad I bought it and really glad she wrote it. I think for her this book probably was something SHE needed to be able to see her accomplishments. She was brave to tell all she did tell, but with being a celebrity things always have a way of leaking. I'm just glad she got to tell things her way.
Her losses have been huge, but now I think she can see her strength. I will never be one to enjoy reading something with tarnished language, so I guess that is one thing that bothered me. Despite that it was a page turner. If nothing else but to see a better day for her with each chapter.
I think of it all the last chapter was wonderful. She quoted LIW and talked of going through one of the homesites museums. Just before that chapter I thought of how much Melissa gave us by showing us a face to Laura, and how she hadn't gotten to experience Laura's magic as we had. It saddened me.
BUT then reading that she got to touch Laura's nightgown, I think she finally did. SHe knew it was a link to Laura, and I'm glad that Melissa got to really feel that connection.
My hope is that Melissa is content, happy and loved in her life as it is now. She like Laura gave us her gift and I'm thankful to her for that.

I realized I haven't posted since I finished the book - I got kinda busy at the end of August with the whole *wedding thing* LOL, but I agree with you Gin, on the last chapter. I loved how she quoted Laura and I also enjoyed her story of visiting the LIW site and touching the nightgown. I'm sure at some points in her life, particularly after LH ended, she wanted to be able to break away from the role and do other projects, but it seems that from reading her book, the last chapter in particular, she has become comfortable with the fact that she is still connected to LH after all these years, and proud of it at that. I really enjoyed reading about her life in her own words, I'm so glad she shared that with us! Thumbsup

Melissa's Autobiography - Page 2 ChristinaKeeper2 Melissa's Autobiography - Page 2 10bChristina

"It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong."

Last edited by ChristinaAL on Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:15 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fixed color tag)
Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Autobiography   Melissa's Autobiography - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 07, 2009 10:14 am

High Five, Christina. I just hope Melissa don't get burned out after her musical experience. Putting on show after show can be tough. My only experience was doing musicals in my HS choir. I'm sure it helps that in her heart she wants to see LH continue in any way it can.
I can not wait to see her in April '10!

Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Autobiography   Melissa's Autobiography - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 11:33 am

FINALLY! The book is ready for me to pick up at the Library! grinsmiley

I'll be reading this soon!

Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Autobiography   Melissa's Autobiography - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 12:17 pm

Mine is still in that pile of books that is threatening to take over my office. Summer time is coming though, so by the time we drive to NC I should have books by both Melissas and Alison's to take with me.

Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Autobiography   Melissa's Autobiography - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 3:19 pm

I'm still reading the book... I'm more than halfway done. It has been an interesting read so far! I'm in the part when things ended with Rob Lowe.

There was one thing that I read that made me say: 'Yes!!!!' out loud and felt happy as if it had happened to me Melissa's Autobiography - Page 2 Smiley_smug LOL

It is a part where she's hanging out with some people from the brat pack and they are at this club or restaurant. Melissa goes on to say how one of them was gloating about being in movies and saying how TV was not so good. Then there was a couple of girls (fans), that kept looking in their direction. When the girls started going over to their table, Rob was getting ready to sign whatever the girls brought (like he must have done millions of times)... but to her surprise they didn't even look in Robs direction too much and instead talked to Melissa. The girls said, "You're Laura from Little House right?" and the girls were all excited. After they left... Melissa turned to the guy who was saying the movie business is where it's at... and Melissa said, "Now THAT is the power of television"

Ha! yesss LOL

Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Autobiography   Melissa's Autobiography - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 10:28 pm

AMEN, Carol. Its a wonderful thing when one can say they were watched EVERY week AND loved! Rob, messed up a good thing.

Back to top Go down
MissOleson
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
MissOleson

Number of posts : 895
Mood : Melissa's Autobiography - Page 2 Indiff10

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Autobiography   Melissa's Autobiography - Page 2 EmptyThu May 20, 2010 7:19 pm

ManlyFan wrote:
I was a little sad to know she doesn't have much contact with Jonathan, her brother. (Willie)
I felt bad about that, too. I had a feeling that we wouldn't get much info on him, anyway, because from what I gathered over the years, he was just living his life now. Since he wasn't involved in show business anymore, I figured he wanted his life to be private. Still, though, I was fully expecting to read a little more about him. I didn't expect her to say that she has barely any contact with him nowadays, though. Of course, who knows? Who knows what happened in their family? Who knows what may have even happened between Jonathan and his mother? I figure that is what it might involve. And if it is, well, it is his choice to live his life like that.

Gin wrote:
I really liked that part to her book. I think out of all of it, that was the best part. A small part but the best part. I think it was a very good way to end it.

Carol wrote:
There was one thing that I read that made me say: 'Yes!!!!' out loud and felt happy as if it had happened to me Melissa's Autobiography - Page 2 Smiley_smug LOL

It is a part where she's hanging out with some people from the brat pack and they are at this club or restaurant. Melissa goes on to say how one of them was gloating about being in movies and saying how TV was not so good. Then there was a couple of girls (fans), that kept looking in their direction. When the girls started going over to their table, Rob was getting ready to sign whatever the girls brought (like he must have done millions of times)... but to her surprise they didn't even look in Robs direction too much and instead talked to Melissa. The girls said, "You're Laura from Little House right?" and the girls were all excited. After they left... Melissa turned to the guy who was saying the movie business is where it's at... and Melissa said, "Now THAT is the power of television"

Ha! yesss LOL
I loved that part, too, though! Smile

I liked this book better than I thought I would. I don't really know what I was expecting but it ended up better than I had anticipated. I thought it was a really fast read. I finished it about 2 months ago. And I think it took me 5 days, at the most, to read it (I have become a slow reader these past few days - so 5 days is incredible for me to achieve! greenS ). It is most definitely a tell-all, which is OK. If a person really feels like they want to get everything out in the open, I don't care. I never expected to read that her life was perfect. I kind of think she wouldn't have written the book if it had been. I knew some things happened in her life and there were other things that I didn't know about. I thought it was an interesting read. And I would probably recommend it to anyone who as any genuine interest in LH and Melissa Gilbert.
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Autobiography   Melissa's Autobiography - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 31, 2010 12:52 pm

bethandmanly wrote:
Gin wrote:
I will never be one to enjoy reading something with tarnished language, so I guess that is one thing that bothered me. Despite that it was a page turner. If nothing else but to see a better day for her with each chapter.

This is what has stopped me from but the nasty language she used in the book and that she uses on Twitter is such a turn-off for me. I don't expect her to be a saint, and in a contest, my pirate talk might make her seem like more of a saint, :shy: but I don't think it's necessary in a biography.

Stephen King's memoir "On Writing" has the same issue. It was so littered with the "F-word" that I found it distracting.

I must be getting old or something. Laughing

Well, I couldn't agree with you more. And it's not that I'm a prude either---I mean, I love the Sopranos for crying out loud---trust me, I can handle language. But there was simply no use for all of it in her book. It startled me just a little in the beginning, but I was not terribly offended or anything. Then by mid-way through until the end, she was dropping everything everywhere and 'distracting and disappointing' are the two words I can think of to best describe my feeling on that. It was all simply unnecessary.

Carol wrote:
I'm still reading the book... I'm more than halfway done. It has been an interesting read so far! I'm in the part when things ended with Rob Lowe.

Ha! yesss LOL

I really love that part too! Hilarious!!

Here is a review I found online, from just another LH fan....I basically agree with everything this woman wrote, so I'll share it here. Honestly, I am not so sure I'm 'glad' I read this book. I did find it to be a page-turner for the most part, but my opinion of Melissa has been tarnished for good. It's not that I don't understand her, or that I think she should be 'perfect' or anything like that. I don't even know how to explain it, all I can say is that I was left feeling disappointed.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Why-Melissa-Gilberts-Memoir-Should-Have-Been-Called-The-Woeful-Tale-of-a-Codependent-Television-Star

Also, I wish she would have elaborated on some other relationships in the show she may have formed, like with Matthew L. or Pat? And there was hardly anything about Victor French or Karen Grassle either....I mean, like it or lump it, she has to know that most of the people picking this book up are fans of the show, and we mostly would like to hear about the show/cast itself. And, I would think that she would have included at least something redeeming about Melissa Sue and Dean Butler. All she said is that she and Dean are friends today, but gosh, the way she wrote about both him and Melissa Sue, you would have thought they were just absolutely awful to her, and I honestly have a hard time believing that. I DID however, LOVE what she shared about the Final Farewell. That was so moving that I CRIED. It was the best part of the entire book, and for that reason alone, I am glad I picked it up. If any of you who haven't read it and are out at a Barnes & Noble or someplace and want to read that part, it's at the tail end of chapter 13. Thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Melissa's Autobiography   Melissa's Autobiography - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Melissa's Autobiography
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next