Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday.

Go down 
+6
Savannah
JW
bethandmanly
Amy
Lori
LM
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21172
Mood : I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday. - Page 2 Purple2

I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday.   I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 1:47 pm

Well.....my youngest son and I both use baking soda along with our toothpaste because it not only helps with odor, but it helps to whiten your teeth without spending all that money on whitening strips.... grinsmiley

I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday. - Page 2 Rhonda10I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday. - Page 2 Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
LM
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
LM

Number of posts : 812
Mood : I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday. - Page 2 Party010

PostSubject: Re: I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday.   I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday. - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 27, 2009 2:12 pm

I tried the soda for whitening for a while, but it really irritated my gums....even if I mixed just a tiny amount with my toothpaste. I can only use Sensodyne toothpaste for brushing. The soda as a rinse for a short period of time shouldn't bother me.

I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday. - Page 2 LMKeeper

dreamNwish Photo Art & Gifts - http://www.zazzle.com/dreamnwish_photo_art

"If you can't be good, be good at it."
Back to top Go down
http://hisbadgeherbadgefanfiction.bravehost.com/index.html
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday. - Page 2 Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday.   I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday. - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 16, 2009 8:14 pm

My turn---I went in for a root canal today (Oh joy No )---even with insurance it is $500, and that's just the root canal. In a few weeks I'll need to go in for the crown. Blue
Back to top Go down
Misti
Red Hummingbird
Red Hummingbird
Misti

Number of posts : 4112
Mood : I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday. - Page 2 Happy010

PostSubject: Re: I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday.   I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday. - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 16, 2009 11:12 pm

I'm done with mine and it was $190.00. The final step is the crown which I'm informed with my insurance, is $455! :faint2:

I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday. - Page 2 HummerI got my permanent crowns on Tuesday. - Page 2 MistiKeeperI got my permanent crowns on Tuesday. - Page 2 Bookclub5I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday. - Page 2 Rose
"I would fight for you - I'd lie for you - walk the wire for you - ya I'd die for you..."
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday.   I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday. - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 17, 2009 1:34 pm

It looks like the insurance paid half of my root canal. My guess is it will be another $500 for my crown. But hey, it could be worse---my sister has a great job but has no dental! So I have to be grateful. It just hurts because we're still paying on my son's wisdom teeth too---those were $1000 for the 4 extractions. No
Back to top Go down
JW
Isaiah Edwards
Isaiah Edwards
JW

Number of posts : 9016
Mood : I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday. - Page 2 Happy011

PostSubject: Re: I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday.   I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday. - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 17, 2009 2:23 pm

Does it work just to get a Root canel with out the Crown if you are suppose to get a Crown to?

I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday. - Page 2 Jacobk10I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday. - Page 2 Jacob210
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday.   I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday. - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 17, 2009 3:19 pm

Right now I have a temporary tooth on there where they did the root canal, Jacob. They said they want me to have the temporary no more than 6 weeks. And I wouldn't want it any longer than that---I don't like chewing with a temporary. So yeah, you have to have a crown with it, I do believe. I will have a matching gold tooth to my other side now. Oh yay. Whistle
Back to top Go down
LM
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
LM

PostSubject: Re: I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday.   I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday. - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 17, 2009 8:55 pm

Amy wrote:
My turn---I went in for a root canal today (Oh joy No )---even with insurance it is $500, and that's just the root canal. In a few weeks I'll need to go in for the crown. Blue

Glad your surgery is done.

I'll have to get my crowns soon.

Back to top Go down
LM
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
LM

PostSubject: Re: I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday.   I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday. - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 17, 2009 8:57 pm

Misti wrote:
I'm done with mine and it was $190.00. The final step is the crown which I'm informed with my insurance, is $455! :faint2:

$455.00? Eeek!

I still have just the estimate of up to $700.00 per crown. I haven't called for an appt., yet, as I've just had the second surgery this past Thursday (the 12th).

Good luck!

Back to top Go down
LM
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
LM

PostSubject: Re: I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday.   I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday. - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 17, 2009 9:02 pm

JW wrote:
Does it work just to get a Root canel with out the Crown if you are suppose to get a Crown to?

You have to get a crown over the tooth. If not, the tooth will eventually deteriorate. Once the root is dead, there are no nutrients going to the tooth, so it basically "dies" from lack of nourishment and falls to pieces. That's what happened to one of my teeth when I had a root canal done several years ago, and I couldn't afford a crown. I eventually had to have the tooth removed after spending over $600.00 for the surgery. I was hoping to save up for the crown, but couldn't. If I had known that, I would have had the tooth pulled from the start and saved several hundred dollars. Oh, well. It couldn't be helped.

Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday.   I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday. - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 17, 2009 10:22 pm

LM wrote:
Amy wrote:

You know, for me the root canal is the easy part, even though I'm still sore right now. But honestly, I truly hated getting my crown. It's more 'interactive'......with a root canal you just keep you mouth open and they do all the work. With a crown you have to 'help' them make the mold for the crown. You have to sit there and press your tooth mold down for what seems like forever. So I'm not looking particularly forward to getting that done in the next several weeks. Blue

And I'm sorry about your 'wasted' root canal, LM---that would totally suck, there is just no other way to put it. :sad5: We're going to be financing both the crown and the root canal, but geesh, it's still a LOT of money per month that was not budgeted. Of ALL times, with this stinkin' economy, who needs TOOTH issues on top of everything else?!?! No
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600
Mood : I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday. - Page 2 Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday.   I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday. - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 17, 2009 11:23 pm

Yeah, the molds stink. Because my allergies make me stuffy a lot of the time it's torture for me when they have to put molds in my mouth. I feel like I'm gagging and it just is no fun.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Misti
Red Hummingbird
Red Hummingbird
Misti

PostSubject: Re: I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday.   I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday. - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 18, 2009 3:51 am

I've never had an experience with a crown but I'm with the others; with the gel to deaden my mouth, I felt no pain at all.

As far as the money for the crown, I'm going to have to save up some money & use some income tax money and they recommended I don't wait too long. I imagine it will be sometime in the next month I'll go in to get it done.

I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday. - Page 2 HummerI got my permanent crowns on Tuesday. - Page 2 MistiKeeperI got my permanent crowns on Tuesday. - Page 2 Bookclub5I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday. - Page 2 Rose
"I would fight for you - I'd lie for you - walk the wire for you - ya I'd die for you..."
Back to top Go down
LM
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
LM

PostSubject: Re: I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday.   I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday. - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 18, 2009 5:02 pm

Amy wrote:
LM wrote:
Amy wrote:

You know, for me the root canal is the easy part, even though I'm still sore right now. But honestly, I truly hated getting my crown. It's more 'interactive'......with a root canal you just keep you mouth open and they do all the work. With a crown you have to 'help' them make the mold for the crown. You have to sit there and press your tooth mold down for what seems like forever. So I'm not looking particularly forward to getting that done in the next several weeks. Blue

And I'm sorry about your 'wasted' root canal, LM---that would totally suck, there is just no other way to put it. :sad5: We're going to be financing both the crown and the root canal, but geesh, it's still a LOT of money per month that was not budgeted. Of ALL times, with this stinkin' economy, who needs TOOTH issues on top of everything else?!?! No

Hi, Amy.

Thanks. Yeah, it was a waste, and you're right...it totally sucked. Thank God I'm able to do better this time.

You know, I've never had any crowns before, so I was clueless as to what the procedure was. You've shed some light on that. It never occured to me that I'd have to have that awful molding stuff in my mouth again. Gross! It's sickening! Several years ago, I needed a temporary plastic splint in my mouth to help straighten my jawline due to my having TMJ. The splint was kinda like a retainer, I guess. Anyway, I remember how horrible it was for me to have to smell the molding "clay", to have it feel as if it was being shoved down my throat...keeping me from breathing well, etc. I was hoping I'd never have to go through anything like that again. Oh, well. :think: Maybe it won't be as horrible when getting the crowns, but from what you've said, it's still no picnic. Geeez.

I agree about having to spend money on dental issues. I could really use this money for so much more, like a few home repairs or even a nice little vacation. That's what I was saving up for, but now we know where the money has to go.

All of this reminds me of some news I heard several years ago, concerning all the dental problems people around my age are having. I'll start a new topic for it in a bit. I'd like to know if anyone else has heard of it.

Take care.

Back to top Go down
LM
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
LM

PostSubject: Re: I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday.   I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday. - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 18, 2009 5:10 pm

Misti wrote:
I've never had an experience with a crown but I'm with the others; with the gel to deaden my mouth, I felt no pain at all.

As far as the money for the crown, I'm going to have to save up some money & use some income tax money and they recommended I don't wait too long. I imagine it will be sometime in the next month I'll go in to get it done.

The gel only does so much. Well, at least in my case. It never numbed me enough for me not to feel anything at all, but I suppose it helped a little around the gum, considering the pain from the abscess, too.
I had sharp pains shooting throughout my tongue as he inserted the needle with the meds. He said it's the nerves running from the tongue, cheek and gums, and that using numbing gel on the gums won't do a thing for pain in the tongue or other areas of the mouth. You just have to wait it out. Huh? It only lasted a few seconds, but it was very painful. I'd never had any pain like that in my tongue before, and I don't want it again. No

Back to top Go down
LM
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
LM

PostSubject: Dental issues for those born between 1960-1969?   I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday. - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 18, 2009 5:23 pm

With discussing the topic of root canals, I was reminded of something I'd heard of several years ago which concerns dental health. I'm curious as to if any of you may know of it.

As I said, it was several years ago, and at the time, I was watching TV when it was mentioned on the news that studies showed that people who were born between 1960 and 1969 have a lot of dental problems. The reporter said it is believed to be due to the type of iron and vitamins the expectant mothers were given, and those babies were born with problems with their teeth. Some of the problems started very early in life, and some not until much later.

I found that to be quite interesting because I've always had some type of problem with my teeth and I was born in 1968, and one of my cousins who was born in 1965 has always had problems with her teeth, too. I began to ask other family and friends who were born during the time about their teeth, and as I recall, most of them had some type of serious issues with their teeth, too. My Mom even asked some of her friends about their kids, and some of them had problems, too.

I wish I could find something about it on-line. Maybe one day I will. :think:

Have any of you heard of this?

Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600
Mood : I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday. - Page 2 Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday.   I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday. - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 18, 2009 9:24 pm

I also have had been plagued with dental problems and I was born in 1968. As a child, my mother gave me a liquid form of iron and vitamin pills. I don't know what she took when she was expecting me, but she also had mumps while she was pregnant. I was always getting cavities, so my dentist ended up prescribing flouride pills, which I took until I was probably 14 or so.

My oldest sister had braces until she turned 18 and once the braces were removed, her teeth literally fell apart. They cracked and fell out of her mouth, sometimes when all she was doing was brushing them. She has severe tooth decay and at this point needs full dentures.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday.   I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday. - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 18, 2009 9:44 pm

Whoa. I have never heard this before! Well, I have had issues, (born in 69), but my two older sister, both born in the 60's, never have had ANY issues---SO unfair!! :sad5: But of course I'm very happy for them. batEyes

Cheryl, that is such a sad story about your sister. To go through the agony of braces and then have your teeth literally fall apart?!?! And now needing dentures?! How tragic. No
Back to top Go down
LM
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
LM

PostSubject: Re: I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday.   I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday. - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 19, 2009 1:11 am

bethandmanly wrote:
I also have had been plagued with dental problems and I was born in 1968. As a child, my mother gave me a liquid form of iron and vitamin pills. I don't know what she took when she was expecting me, but she also had mumps while she was pregnant. I was always getting cavities, so my dentist ended up prescribing flouride pills, which I took until I was probably 14 or so.

My oldest sister had braces until she turned 18 and once the braces were removed, her teeth literally fell apart. They cracked and fell out of her mouth, sometimes when all she was doing was brushing them. She has severe tooth decay and at this point needs full dentures.

I was wondering if there was something in the iron they gave us as kids, too. You mentioned that, and it reminded me. It very well could have been that, too.

Wow. So sorry about your sister's teeth.
My cousin who was born in 1965 didn't have her teeth fall apart, but they were pulling away from her gums at a very high rate of speed during her late 20s and early 30s. Her teeth were as loose as a child who was losing her baby teeth. Just eating something as soft as a PB&J sandwich would cause her gums to bleed. She finally found a great dentist who put her on some type of meds, had her go through treatments of the gums, and did some type of surgery that bound her front teeth together for several weeks until her gums were strong enough to hold them in. Bless her heart. She really went through a lot, but I guess not quite as much as your sister. Blue

Back to top Go down
LM
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
LM

PostSubject: Re: I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday.   I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday. - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 19, 2009 1:13 am

Amy wrote:
Whoa. I have never heard this before! Well, I have had issues, (born in 69), but my two older sister, both born in the 60's, never have had ANY issues---SO unfair!! :sad5: But of course I'm very happy for them. batEyes

Cheryl, that is such a sad story about your sister. To go through the agony of braces and then have your teeth literally fall apart?!?! And now needing dentures?! How tragic. No

Hmm. I wish you'd have been as lucky/blessed as your sisters, too.

Back to top Go down
LM
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
LM

PostSubject: I got my temporary crowns today.   I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday. - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 04, 2009 9:55 pm

Please stand. Royalty is on board. grinsmiley

Hello, friends.

I got my crowns today. Well, the temps. I'll get the real crowns in two weeks. It was really an..... adventure. It took 2 1/2 hours for both teeth, and it was painful at times. I had to get several shots to numb the areas because I kept feeling the drill. Not good! It wasn't horrible pain, but enough to make me jump, groan loudly and raise my hand to get their attention. The doctor said "Whoa, whoa. Are you feeling that?" I told him I was and he asked his assistant to reload the needle. He apologized for the pain and told me to always speak up if I feel anything. I had to speak up twice more. He and the assistant said they now know that I wasn't kidding when I said I have very, very sensitive teeth/gums. He gave me more shots and said if they didn't take, he'd take a hammer to me and knock me out. Every now and then, I could feel the cold water and air which hurt a bit, but I managed. The assistant said she was sorry that I was having such a hard time, but understand that it's all in it with those of us with such sensitive teeth/gums. They had to remove the temporary fillings, dig out any of the tooth that wasn't needed anymore, rebuild the tooth with fabricated enamel and place the titanium steel posts inside each tooth to give the new tooth/crown something to be attached to. Whew! Titanium. No wonder these procedures are so expensive!

I'm so glad they didn't have to use that thick and nasty tasting goo to make the molds. Yay! They had a small block...about two inches long and an inch thick that they called "Play-doh". I'm glad it didn't taste like Play-doh, either. LOL! Anyway, the assistant placed it in my mouth and had me to bite down as hard as I could for two minutes the first round on each tooth, and then for ten minutes on each tooth. The "Play-doh"/putty tasted like bubble gum. What a differnce from years ago when I had that splint made for my TMJ. Eww!

I have to wait two weeks for the real crowns to come in, so I have these that are made of a very lightweight plastic. I can't eat anything hard, sticky or chew gum on that side for two weeks.

My mouth is pretty sore, I have some pain, but I'm not having any bad steady pain, thank goodness. I do still have some minor infection, though. Ugh! So, I'll be calling my doctor tomorrow to see if I need more antibiotics. I'm so, so, so sick of taking them, but I know I need them because of the Mitral Valve Prolapse Syndrome. Oh, well. I think once all the infection is gone, I'll be done with the pain for good. I should hope so! I've had root canals, for goodness sake! There shouldn't be pain if the root is dead! No

Fingers crossed that I don't forget and chew potato chips or gum on the right side before I should.

I appreciate all the support, prayers and ears that are listening.
Love

Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21172
Mood : I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday. - Page 2 Purple2

PostSubject: Re: I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday.   I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday. - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 pm

OH WOW AND OUCH!!! Sorry for the pain....

When you are truly royalty, I will bow, but for now, the Smiley Queen still sits on the throne...... batEyes

I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday. - Page 2 Rhonda10I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday. - Page 2 Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!

Last edited by Rhonda on Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Misti
Red Hummingbird
Red Hummingbird
Misti

PostSubject: Re: I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday.   I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday. - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 05, 2009 2:01 am

I'm sorry you had to go thru pain, LM & I'm relieved that the worst is over for you. I've still got my temporary filling; haven't had the money to fix it yet. How many teeth did you have done?

Back to top Go down
LM
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
LM

PostSubject: Re: I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday.   I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday. - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 05, 2009 2:16 am

Rhonda wrote:
OH WOW AND OUCH!!! Sorry for the pain....

Thanks, Rhonda.

Rhonda wrote:
When you are truly royalty, I will bow, but for now, the Smiley Queen still sits on the throne...... batEyes

Huh? Ouch!
:haha:

Back to top Go down
LM
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
LM

PostSubject: Re: I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday.   I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday. - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 05, 2009 2:21 am

Misti wrote:
I'm sorry you had to go thru pain, LM & I'm relieved that the worst is over for you. I've still got my temporary filling; haven't had the money to fix it yet. How many teeth did you have done?

Hi, Misti.

I'm glad the worst is over, too. It's been a real ordeal.

I had two teeth done. One is directly above the other. They're right-side molars.

I know how it is with the issue of money, and I really hope you'll be able to get your permanent crowns, soon. I also hope that your temps last until you're able to get them.

Take care and good luck! Wave

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday.   I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

I got my permanent crowns on Tuesday.
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next