Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Chicago

Go down 
+6
ChristineLovesLHOTP
Gin
Ruth
Vanesa
david
Krissy
10 posters
AuthorMessage

Chicago Empty
PostSubject: Chicago   Chicago EmptyThu Jan 14, 2010 3:33 pm

I was just wondering - do you think Radames Pera posed for that portrait we see of John at the boarding house? I heard he happened to show up on the set while they were filming this episode. Or maybe it was just drawn by an artist who knew how to make him look a little older than he did when he was on the show (subtle changes in skin tone, facial muscles just a fraction longer, etc..).
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45732
Mood : Chicago Headac10

Chicago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chicago   Chicago EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 9:18 pm

This was a sad episode.

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
david
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
david

Number of posts : 3584
Mood : Chicago Goodsi10

Chicago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chicago   Chicago EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 10:26 pm

Good way to subtly introduce that kid who would play the role of a "Father Murphy" orphan in Season 2. He was cool.
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136
Mood : Chicago Bokmal10

Chicago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chicago   Chicago EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 12:43 pm

It was a sad but great episode. The bad thing of it was that John Jr. was murdered. I don't think it was a great idea to end with his life this way... No

Vanesa.

Chicago Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
Ruth
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ruth

Number of posts : 2916
Mood : Chicago Pbucket

Chicago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chicago   Chicago EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 2:49 am

Yeah..It is a very sad one.....

I wish John Jnr. was in a few more episodes..

Leaves Chicago RuthKeeper Leaves
Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

Number of posts : 5920
Mood : Chicago Love-s10

Chicago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chicago   Chicago EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 3:30 pm

I liked the whole Sanderson bunch. That was a good way to bring a couple of orphans on the scene. Patricia Neal was awesome in Remember Me. John was a good first beau for Mary, although that didn't work out. I wish too John had been able to complete his dreams as a writer. OR at least have something published that he had written.
I also wish they had more storyline written for Carl. Brian Part was wonderful in this character.
I never liked how Isaiah and Grace broke up. They found each other later in life , had a family waiting for them so I just fill they should have been past all the drinking etc.
Mr. Edwards had already lost his first wife and daughter, so this was his second chance. Guess I just always want a happy ending....

Chicago Project2

It is the lack of Christianity that has  brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts.  LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
ChristineLovesLHOTP
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
ChristineLovesLHOTP

Number of posts : 227
Mood : Chicago Goodsi10

Chicago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chicago   Chicago EmptyFri Mar 02, 2012 10:25 pm

Gin wrote:
I liked the whole Sanderson bunch. That was a good way to bring a couple of orphans on the scene. Patricia Neal was awesome in Remember Me. John was a good first beau for Mary, although that didn't work out. I wish too John had been able to complete his dreams as a writer. OR at least have something published that he had written.
I also wish they had more storyline written for Carl. Brian Part was wonderful in this character.
I never liked how Isaiah and Grace broke up. They found each other later in life , had a family waiting for them so I just fill they should have been past all the drinking etc.
Mr. Edwards had already lost his first wife and daughter, so this was his second chance. Guess I just always want a happy ending....

I agree

Was there an episode where he and Grace broke up? I don't remember it scratchead

“I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.”
― Laura Ingalls Wilder
Back to top Go down
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
littlehouselover

Number of posts : 1056

Chicago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chicago   Chicago EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 8:32 pm

They had Mr. Edwards drink again after John dies and Grace (played by a different person later) didn't understand and had enough. They had her meet and marry a man pretty quickly after he went back to Walnut Grove it seemed. So sad his character lost a wife and child to disease, he met Grace, they adopted 3 children and they had them break up and then he meets "Jane" and it can't work out with her and Matthew, the mute boy, goes back with his Dad. A lot of heartache for one person.
Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

Number of posts : 9374

Chicago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chicago   Chicago EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 9:47 am

One thing I will also remember about Victor French and Matthew, is that speech Edwards gave in Church when they were going to send Matthew back to the orphanage. In my opinion, that was one of Victor French's finest acting performances. It blew me away! I know its off subject, but when you mentioned Matthew above, it brought back that memory.

I hated to see Radames get killed off. I always thought he was a pretty good actor, and had some great moments with Mary and Isaiah.

"Albert, do you REALLY think you are old enough to know what love is?"
"I must be Pa. I love you, I have for a long time."
Back to top Go down
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
littlehouselover

Chicago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chicago   Chicago EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 3:52 pm

I did too...in an interview he said he was shocked he was to be killed also, but ratings were ratings. It was bad enough he had to cheat on Mary, but I thought he could have been attacked or whatever but lived. He had some good scenes with Victor French who is a wonderful character actor. I loved him in Highway to Heaven later also.
I don't believe his character meant to hurt Mary but he was in a different world, growing up more and his love of books, etc. would never have taken him back to Walnut Grove.

Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600

Chicago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chicago   Chicago EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 10:01 pm

In some way, this episode could almost be seen as a way of redeeming John Jr. for the way he treated Mary. He was tracking down a story, hoping to expose evil men when he was killed. That makes him sympathetic to the viewer and not such a cad.

I wonder how much MSA's supposed dislike for Radames played into what they ended up doing with his character. Would things have been different if the actors had gotten along? Would Mary and John Jr. have ended up married? That would have meant no Adam, which would have made me sad.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

Number of posts : 5920
Mood : Chicago Love-s10

Chicago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chicago   Chicago EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 10:50 pm

Hmmm you make me think Cheryl. scratchead I believe the writers had this one right. Mary really did go blind and she did go to college. SO, they needed a reason to write more into her story other than just adjusting to her disability and learning how to take care of herself again. Meeting Adam worked and we all know Mary wanted to be a teacher. I just don't think Melissa and Radames had the chemistry at all on camera, and it showed.
Although, in the episode where they are engaged Melissa's tearful speech to Mr. Edwards in the field was A+.

Radames was a good actor, but in this role he just couldn't really go anywhere but to college.

Chicago Project2

It is the lack of Christianity that has  brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts.  LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

Chicago Empty
PostSubject: Chicago   Chicago EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 7:35 am

bethandmanly wrote:
In some way, this episode could almost be seen as a way of redeeming John Jr. for the way he treated Mary. He was tracking down a story, hoping to expose evil men when he was killed. That makes him sympathetic to the viewer and not such a cad.

I wonder how much MSA's supposed dislike for Radames played into what they ended up doing with his character. Would things have been different if the actors had gotten along? Would Mary and John Jr. have ended up married? That would have meant no Adam, which would have made me sad.

Radames blamed it on the fact that Victor French irritated Michael when he took another acting part without telling him. You never know........
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600

Chicago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chicago   Chicago EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 8:27 pm

Davetucson wrote:
bethandmanly wrote:

Radames blamed it on the fact that Victor French irritated Michael when he took another acting part without telling him. You never know........

Yes, I remember that. I still think they could have worked around it if they were interested in keeping the John Jr./Mary storyline. John was almost an adult. Gin could be right, that they were moving Mary in a different direction and John Jr. just didn't fit into that mold.
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

Chicago Empty
PostSubject: Radames   Chicago EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 8:11 am

Guest wrote:
I was just wondering - do you think Radames Pera posed for that portrait we see of John at the boarding house? I heard he happened to show up on the set while they were filming this episode. Or maybe it was just drawn by an artist who knew how to make him look a little older than he did when he was on the show (subtle changes in skin tone, facial muscles just a fraction longer, etc..).

I doubt very much he showed up on the set. He had returned to New York to attend acting classes in 1979. He was there for three years. Proved to be one of the biggest mistakes of his career. When he returned, had great difficulty getting parts and eventually left acting.
Back to top Go down
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
littlehouselover

Chicago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chicago   Chicago EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 8:43 am

Yes, I was reading that in an interview. You never know really what to do. He wasn't a seasoned actor, had limited time on Little House but he should have stayed in California for contacts.
It's too bad a supposed quarrel with Victor French had repercussions with his TV family, but that's show-biz. They were good friends otherwise.
Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

Chicago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chicago   Chicago EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 8:52 am

Well, at least his Mother was still left to do one episode in 1978.
Back to top Go down
amyk
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler

Number of posts : 529

Chicago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chicago   Chicago EmptySat Jun 26, 2021 10:00 pm

I don't even know if I ever watched this one all the way through before. Well, watched it tonight, but it was recorded from COZI-TV so I know I must have missed some things. I didn't really like this episode. I hate seeing Mr. Edwards drink so much to drown his pain, especially knowing what that is going to lead to later on. And I also hated all the rainy scenes. The sound effects for the rain were so loud that I had a hard time hearing clearly what was being said.

That said, I never really understood why Mr. Edwards and Charles would be thinking that this was anything more than an accident, until of course much later on. They themselves nearly got run over one time in the daylight, so I felt if I had been there, I would have just accepted it as an accident. It really didn't even come out that it was anything other than an accident except for them just "happening" to see John, Jr.'s watch at the pawn shop and then finding the boy who sold the watch.

I was actually kind of suspicious of the newspaperman, as it seemed he went way above and beyond in paying for everything. But I guess he was just a nice guy who did really like John. I also think it a bit strange that Charles and Isaiah never went to talk to any of John's college classmates about anything. It's like they knew from the start that John's death was not just an accident and that it had something to do with the newspaper.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chicago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chicago   Chicago Empty

Back to top Go down

Chicago
Page 1 of 1