Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

How to start a brawl.

Go down 
+7
Misti
Lori
pamh36
bethandmanly
Amy
Rhonda
Savannah
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
How to start a brawl. Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428
Mood : How to start a brawl. Happy010

How to start a brawl. Empty
PostSubject: How to start a brawl.   How to start a brawl. EmptySun Jan 24, 2010 11:16 pm

Every so often, I go up to the local nursing home and play the piano. Today was one of the days I did....After I had finished playing, I was about to leave when I noticed an elderly little woman in a wheelchair who was trying to enter the activities area, but couldn't get the door open. So I thought I'd be nice and open the door for her. The door *lightly* brushed the footrest of her chair, and she looked at me and angrily said,

"OH! So you think you're a FUNNY WOMAN, huh??" (I swear, I had a hard time keeping a straight face - this was hilarious from the get-go.) I explained that I'd been trying to open the door for her, but she was hearing none of it:

"You're a real funny girl, aren'tcha!! Well HA.HA.HA!! Think you're SMART?? HUH??"

Well...the little elderly lady behind me leaned around and said to the grouchy woman, "Do you want me to come over there and slap you??" I started to tell her that it was okay, I could handle it....I got as far as "Oh, it's okay, I..." and she cut in and said "No it isn't. She's being terrible to you!" Well, "Mrs. Grouch" was still going off in the background, saying, "A real smart woman, eh??" etc....and yet another elderly woman asked, "What on earth is going on over here??" The lady who threatened to slap Mrs. Grouch said, "That woman is being mean to our piano girl!!" And the third woman said to Mrs. Grump, "Thelma, you just get your grumpy self in here and knock it off!" Finally the activity director came over and broke it up. How to start a brawl. 85958 How to start a brawl. 85958 That was an interesting afternoon. I've never created that kind of . . . . entertainment. . . at the nursing home before.
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21172
Mood : How to start a brawl. Purple2

PostSubject: Re: How to start a brawl.   How to start a brawl. EmptySun Jan 24, 2010 11:38 pm

Aww, Music...it SOOOOOOTHES the savage beast..... How to start a brawl. 440956

TOO FUNNY SAVANNAH!!! How to start a brawl. 85958

How to start a brawl. Rhonda10How to start a brawl. Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : How to start a brawl. Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: How to start a brawl.   How to start a brawl. EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 12:23 am

Oh Savannah!!! ROTFL That is hysterical!!! They can be a trip, that's for sure!

I can't believe the timing of your story. On Friday Nick went to volunteer at our local retirement center...he is preparing for Confirmation in a few weeks and has to do service projects. He volunteered to help with Bingo and it went really well...in fact he had so much fun, he wants to continue to volunteer there, and we're planning to do it together! Thumbsup Anyway, long story short...my mom stayed there while he was there, and watched these games going on---she witnessed two arguments between the women! One was during the Bingo game, and one was during this card game they were playing...one of the ladies was taking too long to make her move I guess, and the other lady started teasing her and being mean! My mom said it was all she could do to bite her own tongue! OhMy Gosh, it's like children on a playground! Yikes

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600
Mood : How to start a brawl. Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: How to start a brawl.   How to start a brawl. EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 2:59 am

Well, I thought it was very strange that our sweet, innocent Savannah was giving advice on how to start a brawl, but since she has some experience with it, I guess she must be an expert now. greenS

There are some people I will never understand. Grumpy people are one of them. I make breads for the neighbors around Christmas every year. I was dropping off a bread in one of the mailboxes when the man of the house (I'm assuming, they are new and I haven't officially met them yet), came down the driveway at the same time hauling out the garbage. So, I said, "Hey, I've got a couple of cans in my garage you could take care of too." Then I laughed. He didn't say a word. Didn't even come close to cracking a smile.

Then I figured he must have been wondering why I was messing around with his mailbox, so I told him about the bread. He barely grunted a thanks to me and did not respond when I wished him, "Happy Holidays". He acted like I had told him I beat his mother with a baseball bat. Oh well, one less bread to make next year.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
pamh36
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
pamh36

Number of posts : 5900

PostSubject: Re: How to start a brawl.   How to start a brawl. EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 9:36 am

Leave it to Savannah to start a major brawl at a nursing center. laugh3

How to start a brawl. PamKeeper
Back to top Go down
Lori
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Lori

Number of posts : 6032

PostSubject: Re: How to start a brawl.   How to start a brawl. EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 9:52 am

Laughing

How to start a brawl. Lorike10
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: How to start a brawl.   How to start a brawl. EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 11:18 am

bethandmanly wrote:
There are some people I will never understand. Grumpy people are one of them. I make breads for the neighbors around Christmas every year. I was dropping off a bread in one of the mailboxes when the man of the house (I'm assuming, they are new and I haven't officially met them yet), came down the driveway at the same time hauling out the garbage. So, I said, "Hey, I've got a couple of cans in my garage you could take care of too." Then I laughed. He didn't say a word. Didn't even come close to cracking a smile.

Then I figured he must have been wondering why I was messing around with his mailbox, so I told him about the bread. He barely grunted a thanks to me and did not respond when I wished him, "Happy Holidays". He acted like I had told him I beat his mother with a baseball bat. Oh well, one less bread to make next year.

Oh my gosh, I didn't know you live next to my father-in-law!! How to start a brawl. 279394 Oh, did I just say that out loud? How to start a brawl. 129986

Then there are those elderly that you can totally understand their ornery nature....half of them are abandoned in nursing homes and receive no visitors or cards or anything, and have lost a lot of their 'spirit'. Then there are people like my grandma, whose personality changed drastically after her Alzheimer's started to get really bad. Talk about grumpy! My sweet loving grandma began to get a potty mouth on her and could be downright nasty to all of us in the family. How to start a brawl. Kopfschuettel

Now, just to clarify, my father-in-law really doesn't have any excuse. How to start a brawl. 68167

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Misti
Red Hummingbird
Red Hummingbird
Misti

Number of posts : 4112

PostSubject: Re: How to start a brawl.   How to start a brawl. EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 2:23 pm

Savannah, when I read the topic before I opened it I was thinking the author was Larry!!! greenS

How to start a brawl. HummerHow to start a brawl. MistiKeeperHow to start a brawl. Bookclub5How to start a brawl. Rose
"I would fight for you - I'd lie for you - walk the wire for you - ya I'd die for you..."
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
How to start a brawl. Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428

PostSubject: Re: How to start a brawl.   How to start a brawl. EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 2:30 pm

How to start a brawl. 85958 Misti!

Last night before church, my Pastor had asked me how things went while I was at the nursing home. I made the mistake of telling him about this, and he thought it was so funny that he started talking about it during his sermon! How to start a brawl. 184143 How to start a brawl. 688644 How to start a brawl. 85958 He told everyone that I'd gone up there to be a blessing, and instead had started a smack-down with a little old lady!
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21172
Mood : How to start a brawl. Purple2

PostSubject: Re: How to start a brawl.   How to start a brawl. EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 3:29 pm

How to start a brawl. 18_1_30v

How to start a brawl. 85958

How to start a brawl. Rhonda10How to start a brawl. Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665

PostSubject: Re: How to start a brawl.   How to start a brawl. EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 4:56 pm

That is hilarious! laugh3

I remember one time when I was working at a nursing home... there was this old lady who .. poor thing... was left traumatized from a fire. And almost the first half of the morning you would hear her cry and cry and wail... and then came this other lady from the end of the hallway on her wheelchair who looked upset. She turned in the direction of the poor wailing old lady and yells a long "Shuuuuuuuut Uuuuuuup!!!!!" OhMy Laughing

How to start a brawl. Horses10
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Teresa

Number of posts : 5286

PostSubject: Re: How to start a brawl.   How to start a brawl. EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 5:15 pm

You may have to bring your "pan" along next time, Savannah. LOL! On second thought.....................

How to start a brawl. TeresaKeeper
Back to top Go down
Kristina
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Kristina

Number of posts : 7865
Mood : How to start a brawl. Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: How to start a brawl.   How to start a brawl. EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 5:48 pm

how funny, Savannah! ROTFL

for some reason I could see my own grandmother getting into an argument like that... Ooops
Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

Number of posts : 5920

PostSubject: Re: How to start a brawl.   How to start a brawl. EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 5:54 pm

Well, Savannah.....I could tell you so many stories. I worked in a nursing home from the time I was 15 til 19. I've seen MANY brawls....
My most memorable experience was with a woman named Carrie. She was in her 80's, a former minister and usually kind and went along with most anything. Carrie, no longer remembered basic things...time of day, who people were , where she was...etc.
I worked the 3-11 shift and picked up Carrie's dinner tray to take to her. We were always told to take the tray given us and not grumble about who we had to help feed. Carrie was never a problem and would only laugh when you said " You have cleaned your plate." This evening was about to turn into something my then 18 years had never experienced.
When I got to Carrie's room I layed her tray on a bed side table and turned the tv to the Wheel of Fortune. She loved to watch that while eating and I had long ago learned that she would repeat a letter which meant she would have to open her mouth. I then would slip a bite in....he he.
Well, as I turned back to Carrie and walked up next to the bed, she pulled a cracker out from under the sheet. She grinned so big, and said " Hors doeuvre?"
Lying so sweetly on the top of the cracker was NOT cheese. It was poop.
Now, needless to say Carrie did not need dinner that night.
She turned into an evangelist that wanted to run the devil out of us all as we cleaned her up. I've never seen such a mess, not even with my own kids and 18 years of childcare!
That was the brawl of a lifetime!
Carrie was back to her sweet self the next day, but she sure made us know what she was capable of!!!

How to start a brawl. Project2

It is the lack of Christianity that has  brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts.  LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665

PostSubject: Re: How to start a brawl.   How to start a brawl. EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 8:14 pm

Wow Gin! laugh3

I worked in a nursing home, it was a short temporary job that I had and I experienced a couple of things myself as well.

One I won't forget is a time I was using a payphone in the hallway and this old lady was taken out of her room to sit on a chair nearby and while I was talking on the phone, she kept looking at me and saying things to herself... I don't know who she thought I was but she was pretty upset! lol I had started to get a little nervous and when I made eye contact with her for more than 10 seconds she got up from her chair and came at me with her arms stretched like she wanted to choke me... and she was yelling. The nurses nearby quickly came to help though... they got her and put her in the room... but my heart was beating!!! lol

How to start a brawl. Horses10
Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

PostSubject: Re: How to start a brawl.   How to start a brawl. EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 9:45 am

Yep, I've been punched, kicked, run at by a few naked people, almost got a lasso with the call light rope-thankfully I was quick.
It is a wonder I am as sane as I am.....LOL.

On the flip side of things, I learned alot from the elderly. They talked of times that were full of love and hardships. On lady told me I looked alot like her baby that had passed away. She could see the concern on my face when she said that and quickly said she just always wondered what that little girl would have looked like with all that blonde hair.
In alot of ways the staff became family to so many of the residents. It angered me to see some family come in only at Christmas time to keep up an apperance, but I also know that nursing homes aren't always easy place to visit. But I do know the more you are there the harder the pull on your heart you will feel.
There is strength in those people and they thrive on the visits, singings, and the children that come by.
I was only there 4 yrs but that time has certainly stayed within me, and sure taught me alot.

It is the lack of Christianity that has  brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts.  LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: How to start a brawl.   How to start a brawl. EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 10:51 am

Wow, all these stories! How to start a brawl. 184143 Makes me reconsider volunteering! How to start a brawl. 279394

J/K....I know the reward is great, and my volunteer work with my son will be at a retirement center, which I think will be easier for both of us to tolerate than a nursing home.

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

PostSubject: Re: How to start a brawl.   How to start a brawl. EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 11:37 am

Don't give up on volunteering, Amy. That is how I got started at the Nursing Home at 14. Its the staff that usually get the brute of the wild stuff.
Check with the activity director for activities you could help with. There are alot of the residents that would love to see someone new. Their lives are so much the same day in and day out.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to start a brawl.   How to start a brawl. Empty

Back to top Go down

How to start a brawl.
Page 1 of 1