Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

To Meet My Heroine!

Go down 
+7
Amy
Savannah
bethandmanly
Rob
LIWnut
Gin
carolineingalls
11 posters
AuthorMessage
carolineingalls
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
carolineingalls

Number of posts : 1209
Mood : To Meet My Heroine! Pbucket

To Meet My Heroine! Empty
PostSubject: To Meet My Heroine!   To Meet My Heroine! EmptySat Feb 13, 2010 6:28 pm

As many of you know I owe Karen Grassle big time! This is the lady who literally saved my life many years ago. I've recently been in touch with her about our planned trip to US in August and she E-mailed me back yesterday to say she'd like to meet up with my family and me. I'm beside myself with excitement and don't know how I'm going to contain myself until August! Just wanted to share this with you all because you know what this special lady meand to me.

To Meet My Heroine! MaureenKeeper

"To change your life takes a lot of courage and energy. It's not for wimps." Karen Grassle. April 2006
Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

Number of posts : 5920
Mood : To Meet My Heroine! Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: To Meet My Heroine!   To Meet My Heroine! EmptySat Feb 13, 2010 6:52 pm

Have you met her before now? How exciting for you. Be sure to get some great photos!!

To Meet My Heroine! Project2

It is the lack of Christianity that has  brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts.  LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
carolineingalls
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
carolineingalls

PostSubject: Re: To Meet My Heroine!   To Meet My Heroine! EmptySat Feb 13, 2010 6:58 pm

No I haven't met her, Gin. I've spoke to her on the telephone and we're in contact by mail too. Photos and videos will be taken aplenty!

"To change your life takes a lot of courage and energy. It's not for wimps." Karen Grassle. April 2006
Back to top Go down
LIWnut
Proverbs 3:5-6
Proverbs 3:5-6
LIWnut

Number of posts : 2539
Mood : To Meet My Heroine! Cloud910

PostSubject: Re: To Meet My Heroine!   To Meet My Heroine! EmptySat Feb 13, 2010 8:12 pm

Maureen, you will have a wonderful time with Karen. I met her in Keystone S.D. in September and she was sooo nice. Can't wait to see pics! Have an amazing time.

To Meet My Heroine! MarilynKeeper To Meet My Heroine! Bookclub2
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62620
Mood : To Meet My Heroine! Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: To Meet My Heroine!   To Meet My Heroine! EmptySat Feb 13, 2010 8:20 pm

Wow, Maureen! That's exciting! To Meet My Heroine! 70708
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600
Mood : To Meet My Heroine! Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: To Meet My Heroine!   To Meet My Heroine! EmptySat Feb 13, 2010 9:23 pm

That's wonderful news, Maureen. I am so happy for you.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
To Meet My Heroine! Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428
Mood : To Meet My Heroine! Happy010

PostSubject: Re: To Meet My Heroine!   To Meet My Heroine! EmptySun Feb 14, 2010 12:39 am

Oh, wow, Maureen! That's great! I'll start early, and give you a gentle hint or two: DETAILS.....We'll want lots of details, please! (And pictures would be nice....Not that I'm trying to be pushy or anything.... grinsmiley ) Thanks for sharing your good news with us, Maureen!
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417

PostSubject: Re: To Meet My Heroine!   To Meet My Heroine! EmptySun Feb 14, 2010 12:50 am

I am thrilled for you Maureen!! You'll be on pins and needles until August, I'm sure!! Can't wait for your dream to come true! Like Savannah said, we'll be wanting details and pictures!! Applause

Maybe for some of the people on the board who don't know your story (and some who are rusty on it---I do recall it, but it's a little vague to me), you could share your story again with us?

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
carolineingalls
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
carolineingalls

PostSubject: Re: To Meet My Heroine!   To Meet My Heroine! EmptySun Feb 14, 2010 3:42 pm

Hint taken, Savannah!!! Plenty of pics and we'll have the video camera with us too. Smile I'll probably be a jibbering wreck but hopefully will be able to remember some of the things we talk about!
I've been on cloud 9 since receiving Karen's E mail and don't know how I'm going to be able to contain myself until August.

For Amy and anyone else who doesn't realise why Karen is special to me:

I had a very unhappy childhood and teenage years. My dad physically and mentally abused my mum and mentally tortured me. It wasn't at that time the thing you could discuss with your friends or anyone else. Little House was on our screens at the time and I so wanted to be in a family like the Ingalls. Things were so bad at home I wrote out all my feelings and what was happening at home and mailed the letter to Karen. Little House was massive at that time and I wasn't expecting to hear anything back. 2 weeks later the first of many hand-written letters, with her home address, arrived from Karen, advising me how to cope and finally putting me in touch with counsellors. I was suicidal just before the first of those letters arrived and will always, to the day I die, credit Karen with saving my life. We lost touch and I eventually got back in touch with her in 2006 and spoke to her for the first time by telephone. Now I'm to meet her, me and the family, and after August I'll be able to die one happy lady!

Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62620
Mood : To Meet My Heroine! Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: To Meet My Heroine!   To Meet My Heroine! EmptySun Feb 14, 2010 7:12 pm

That's a remarkable story, Maureen. I'm sorry for all you went through, but I'm happy for the way things turned out. To Meet My Heroine! 70708
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: To Meet My Heroine!   To Meet My Heroine! EmptySun Feb 14, 2010 11:10 pm

Thank you for refreshing my memory Maureen. It makes me so sad to think of what you must have gone through growing up. That is so neat to think Karen took time out of her busy life to be there for you, a young girl she didn't know personally. I can see why you are so grateful to her. Meeting her will truly be a remarkable experience!

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

Number of posts : 5920

PostSubject: Re: To Meet My Heroine!   To Meet My Heroine! EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 12:36 am

Maureen I am so sorry to hear all you went through, but my you are a success story in itself!! You were brave to write to Karen, and she was a remarkable lady to respond as she did. We need more shows like LH. They do more than just entertain us.
You enjoy every moment of your visit with Karen and please let her know how much we all love her.

To Meet My Heroine! Project2

It is the lack of Christianity that has  brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts.  LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
Lori
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Lori

Number of posts : 6032

PostSubject: Re: To Meet My Heroine!   To Meet My Heroine! EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 2:11 pm

That will be so exciting for you to finally meet her! stars

To Meet My Heroine! Lorike10
Back to top Go down
carolineingalls
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
carolineingalls

PostSubject: Re: To Meet My Heroine!   To Meet My Heroine! EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 4:38 pm

Thank you everyone for your good wishes. Yes I did have an unhappy childhood but I found peace through the counselling Karen organised for me which helped make me realise not all men were bad. My husband Phil and I will celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary in June. He's seen me through a lot of changes in my life and we have two beautiful children who have been raised in a totally different environment to what I was.

Our trip to US is a kind of wedding anniversary/dream holiday trip and when I contacted Karen I wasn't sure if she would want to or be able to meet up. She couldn't be more enthusiastic and can't wait to meet the family.

Thanks again everryone and yes Gin I will certainly let her know about our forum and how very much she is loved.

Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

PostSubject: Re: To Meet My Heroine!   To Meet My Heroine! EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 1:07 am

carolineingalls wrote:
Our trip to US is a kind of wedding anniversary/dream holiday trip and when I contacted Karen I wasn't sure if she would want to or be able to meet up. She couldn't be more enthusiastic and can't wait to meet the family.

Aw Maureen, that is just so aweseome. yes It truly IS going to be quite the anniversary celebration, all the way around! Congratulations to you, and your hubby too! 25 years!!Thumbsup

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
carolineingalls
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
carolineingalls

PostSubject: Re: To Meet My Heroine!   To Meet My Heroine! EmptyThu Feb 18, 2010 6:24 am

Thanks, Amy. I've now been almost married as long as I was single! Scary how time flies! Huh?

Back to top Go down
ChristinaAL
Little House Lady
Little House Lady
ChristinaAL

Number of posts : 2761

PostSubject: Re: To Meet My Heroine!   To Meet My Heroine! EmptySun Mar 07, 2010 2:50 pm

Maureen, I'm so excited for you! Applause I know this is a dream come true. It's gonna be tough waiting til August but it will be so worth it!

To Meet My Heroine! ChristinaKeeper2 To Meet My Heroine! 10bChristina

"It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong."
Back to top Go down
carolineingalls
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
carolineingalls

PostSubject: Re: To Meet My Heroine!   To Meet My Heroine! EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 6:20 pm

ChristinaAL wrote:
Maureen, I'm so excited for you! Applause I know this is a dream come true. It's gonna be tough waiting til August but it will be so worth it!

I'm already counting the weeks, Christina but daren't look too much forward in case something goes wrong! Ever the pessimist, that's me! I can die a happy woman if I get to meet Karen, though! Smile

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: To Meet My Heroine!   To Meet My Heroine! EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 9:47 pm

That's wonderful. I hope you will have a graet time! Smile
Back to top Go down
Teresa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Teresa

Number of posts : 5286
Mood : To Meet My Heroine! Happy010

PostSubject: Re: To Meet My Heroine!   To Meet My Heroine! EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 10:30 pm

Maureen,
Thank you for sharing your story. I can't even imagine all of the pain you and your mother had to endure. I am so glad that you will finally be able to meet Karen. How exciting for you and your family! Do your children enjoy watching LHOTP? You are such a strong and brave person. I'm glad that you were able to find a man that you could trust, and fall in love with. Congratulations on 25 years of marriage!! I'll be looking forward to hearing about your trip. August will be here before you know it.

To Meet My Heroine! TeresaKeeper
Back to top Go down
carolineingalls
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
carolineingalls

PostSubject: Re: To Meet My Heroine!   To Meet My Heroine! EmptyTue Mar 16, 2010 5:54 pm

I introduced my kids to Little House several years ago, Teresa and they love it. Not as much as their mom, but they love it just the same! Smile I haven't said anything to them yet about meeting up with Karen. I want to wait until everyhting is finalised first and I hope it'll be a wonderful surprise for them. Christine, who's 17, is mildly aware of what I went through in my younger years but I haven't explained to her yet the influence Karen had in helping. I certainly will before our trip and I hope she will then realise what this meeting will mean to me.

Back to top Go down
pamh36
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
pamh36

Number of posts : 5900

PostSubject: Re: To Meet My Heroine!   To Meet My Heroine! EmptyTue Mar 16, 2010 8:12 pm

That will be a very special meeting, Maureen. What she has done for you speaks volumes of the kind of person Karen is. I am so glad you had someone there for you in your time of need. Who would have known that reaching out to her would have ended up making such a difference in your life. Thanks for sharing your story with us. I am so happy you will finally have a chance to meet her. I can't wait to hear all about it!

To Meet My Heroine! PamKeeper
Back to top Go down
carolineingalls
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
carolineingalls

PostSubject: Re: To Meet My Heroine!   To Meet My Heroine! EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 12:28 pm

Thanks Pam. It's gonna be the highlight of my vacation for sure.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: To Meet My Heroine!   To Meet My Heroine! Empty

Back to top Go down

To Meet My Heroine!
Page 1 of 1