Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Applying for a Job

Go down 
+5
flatbroke
Savannah
Rob
Amy
JW
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
JW
Isaiah Edwards
Isaiah Edwards
JW

Number of posts : 9016
Mood : Applying for a Job Happy011

Applying for a Job Empty
PostSubject: Applying for a Job   Applying for a Job EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 11:04 am

Hi Folks I am Applying for Job again Yikes Nobody is Hiring me i have Applyed in lots of places but nothing.
So now i have an Application and there are some questions i need your help with

Ok First Question is (Why do you want this Job?) I just don't know what to put there i need a Anwser that sounds High Class, Educated, and not to despret and i can't think of one of those anwsers Please give me some ideas.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2nd Question
To Be an effective employee what must a Person do or not do?

DO:

NOT DO:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3rd Question
What are some things in a Job that are important to you?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I Know i sound Crazy Well thats Me lol greenS

Applying for a Job Jacobk10Applying for a Job Jacob210
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : Applying for a Job Love-s10

Applying for a Job Empty
PostSubject: Re: Applying for a Job   Applying for a Job EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 11:20 am

No, you don't sound crazy Jacob, not in the least. Wink (at least not compared to Larry and Rob grinsmiley ).

Well, I guess in order to help you I'd need to know what kind of job you're applying for. The best approach is to really think about the questions and why you honestly want the job, and then answer honestly. Like, you can't just say, "I need money." greenS Your honesty needs to be sincere, but you do need to kind of give them what they 'want to hear', to an extent.

My son took an online test for a video store, and one of the questions was actually if he would steal at the store if he knew no one was watching. Um, who would answer YES to that?! So yeah, you gotta think about what they're looking for.

For the 'be an effective employee' part, you could use words like "movitated and energetic", helpful to customers, dilligent, and hard working.

I have to run but I'll be thinking about this. Good luck!

(Oh, for the last part, "what things in a job are important to you?" You could write that you would want the job to keep you busy and to be a challenge. That right there would show them that you would be a hard worker....).
Back to top Go down
JW
Isaiah Edwards
Isaiah Edwards
JW

Applying for a Job Empty
PostSubject: Re: Applying for a Job   Applying for a Job EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 12:23 pm

Hi Amy I am Applying at a Hardware Store i am not applying for any speacial Poistion just anything they can give me.

Did your Son get the job then? that is a Strange question to ask.

I think you have a brain for these question your anwsers sound better any i came up with lol
I Only came up with I need money for the first question lol

Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62620
Mood : Applying for a Job Goodsi10

Applying for a Job Empty
PostSubject: Re: Applying for a Job   Applying for a Job EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 1:54 pm

First...
Amy wrote:
(at least not compared to Larry and Rob grinsmiley ).

Applying for a Job 70776 Applying for a Job 771460

I like Amy's answers. Here are a few other thoughts:

For "Why do you want this job?", I'd say something like: "I feel I'm at the right age to have a job, and I want to have a productive summer and gain some experience in the working world. And of course, a paycheck would be nice."

"To be an effective employee, what must a person do or not do?"

"He must be willing to learn from the people around him, to take his job very seriously, and to always do his best. What he must NOT do is forget that he's there to do his job. When he goes home at night, he should feel that he's put in a good day's work."

"What are some things in a job that are important to you?"

"The experience it will give me. And I'd like the chance to prove that I'm a responsible person, and that I can handle whatever is asked of me."

Beyond that, try to dress nice, be polite, look people in the eye when you talk to them, have a firm handshake... all that stuff you probably already know. Make sure to double-check your spelling before you turn in your application. That's very important to a lot of people. Your boss might turn out to be this guy:

Applying for a Job Lens2041563_1214599389barney_fife

Applying for a Job 771460
Back to top Go down
JW
Isaiah Edwards
Isaiah Edwards
JW

Applying for a Job Empty
PostSubject: Re: Applying for a Job   Applying for a Job EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 4:07 pm

Laughing

Thanks Rob for the Advice and Ideas for the anwsers they also sound great.

Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Applying for a Job Empty
PostSubject: Re: Applying for a Job   Applying for a Job EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 9:07 pm

Sure, Jacob. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Applying for a Job Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428
Mood : Applying for a Job Happy010

Applying for a Job Empty
PostSubject: Re: Applying for a Job   Applying for a Job EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 9:54 pm

Excellent advice, Amy & Rob. Jacob, good luck in your job search!
Back to top Go down
flatbroke
Man of Constant Sorrow
Man of Constant Sorrow
flatbroke

Number of posts : 2648
Mood : Applying for a Job Party010

Applying for a Job Empty
PostSubject: Re: Applying for a Job   Applying for a Job EmptyFri Jun 11, 2010 3:29 am

Flatbroke checks in (thanks Amy. lol) This has worked for me;
1. Why do you want this job?

Because I want to make money, and I felt this is the place I'd like to work most to make it.

You've just told them what they knew in the first place (why does anyone work?), but you've said THEIR place is where you want to do it.

2. To be an effective employee, what must a person do or not do?

He must listen to his supervisors, and always do his best to satisfy the customer and make them want to come back again. Never say "I don't know", if I don't I tell them I'll find someone who can. (since you said hardware)

Now you've established you understand retail businesses.

3. What are some things in a job that are important to you?

Being active, ambitious, and useful.

Now you've established that you're willing to stay busy, and won't be a slacker.

Just my advice Jake. But then there's been a lot of advice most likely better than mine. I just know it worked for me.
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Applying for a Job Empty
PostSubject: Re: Applying for a Job   Applying for a Job EmptyFri Jun 11, 2010 10:34 am

Yikes, I got panned! OhMy Guess I had that coming. HeeHee

Great answers Rob & Larry! yes

Jacob, in answer to your question, yes---my son did get a job, but not the one with the weird question. Wink It's pretty bad here in Michigan and it's very hard for college kids to find jobs these days. My son had 20 apps out and not one phone call.Whistle We had a connection to someone who ran the dorms at Michigan State for many years, and he was able to get my son in there. Unfortunately, it's with the 'bathroom crew'. Yikes But it's a job! My son never complains and his crew actually makes that work fun, if you can believe it. Wink It's all in how you look at a job...we all have to be grateful for the work that we do get. Like Rob was saying to put in your application, "When you go home at night, you should feel that you've put in a good day's work." I always think of what Pa told Laura in The Richest Man in Walnut Grove", when he was doing all those yucky 'odd jobs'....it's all about putting in an honest day. yes

Good luck to you Jacob! Please keep us posted!

(Oh, and you might want to be specific about why you specifically are applying for a hardware store....as opposed to say, a fast food place or something like that....do you know a lot about hardware? Is that kind of 'your thing' and that's why you want it? I would just really try to sell that aspect if that's the case).
Back to top Go down
JW
Isaiah Edwards
Isaiah Edwards
JW

Applying for a Job Empty
PostSubject: Re: Applying for a Job   Applying for a Job EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 6:13 pm

Thank you guys i keep you posted if i get the Job or not

Back to top Go down
pamh36
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
pamh36

Number of posts : 5900

Applying for a Job Empty
PostSubject: Re: Applying for a Job   Applying for a Job EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 8:59 am

Good luck, Jacob!

Applying for a Job PamKeeper
Back to top Go down

Applying for a Job Empty
PostSubject: Re: Applying for a Job   Applying for a Job EmptySun Jun 20, 2010 9:43 pm

god luck...

Ya "I need money" That's a good answer i mean its honest but lol not the right one..lol

I can never think how to answer them either lol

hope the job works out.
Back to top Go down
Lori
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Lori

Number of posts : 6032

Applying for a Job Empty
PostSubject: Re: Applying for a Job   Applying for a Job EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 8:24 am

Good luck.

Applying for a Job Lorike10
Back to top Go down
JW
Isaiah Edwards
Isaiah Edwards
JW

Applying for a Job Empty
PostSubject: Re: Applying for a Job   Applying for a Job EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 10:20 pm

Thanks guys i also applyed at the local newspaper office crossing my fingers lol

Back to top Go down

Applying for a Job Empty
PostSubject: Re: Applying for a Job   Applying for a Job EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 9:28 am

hope u get it
Back to top Go down
JW
Isaiah Edwards
Isaiah Edwards
JW

Applying for a Job Empty
PostSubject: Re: Applying for a Job   Applying for a Job EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 10:51 pm

I have't heard anything from the newspaper or the Hardware store but in the mean time i was hired for a week at a Sunflower factory where they bag sunflower seeds i have to stack 50lb bags of seeds i had my first day today i gotta say i am not sure if i wanna go back on monday i am so stiff and such sore hands lol i gues that will pass sooner or later

Back to top Go down

Applying for a Job Empty
PostSubject: Re: Applying for a Job   Applying for a Job EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 11:11 pm

That reminds me of the esp of i love lucy were they work at the choclate facotory.

I can understand that.doesn't sound fun.Goodluck with the other one.
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Applying for a Job Empty
PostSubject: Re: Applying for a Job   Applying for a Job EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 11:16 pm

Congrats, Jacob! You're young, your body will adapt. Applying for a Job 185146
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

Applying for a Job Empty
PostSubject: Re: Applying for a Job   Applying for a Job EmptySat Jun 26, 2010 7:59 am

That's great about the job, Jacob! Applying for a Job 70708
Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

Number of posts : 5920

Applying for a Job Empty
PostSubject: Re: Applying for a Job   Applying for a Job EmptySat Jun 26, 2010 6:02 pm

Jacob...that reminds me of "A Harvest of Friends." All that stacking.....

We will help if we can...let us know. Hope everything is working out.

Applying for a Job Project2

It is the lack of Christianity that has  brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts.  LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
JW
Isaiah Edwards
Isaiah Edwards
JW

Applying for a Job Empty
PostSubject: Re: Applying for a Job   Applying for a Job EmptySat Jun 26, 2010 7:49 pm

Thanks guys i have decided i will go back on monday it's only a week and if i can't do a job for a week how do i expect to work all my life

Gin that is what it reminded me to when i was stacking there on friday lol

Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Applying for a Job Empty
PostSubject: Re: Applying for a Job   Applying for a Job EmptySat Jun 26, 2010 7:55 pm

Good thinking, Jacob. Applying for a Job 70708
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Applying for a Job Empty
PostSubject: Re: Applying for a Job   Applying for a Job EmptySun Jun 27, 2010 12:29 am

JW wrote:
I have't heard anything from the newspaper or the Hardware store but in the mean time i was hired for a week at a Sunflower factory where they bag sunflower seeds i have to stack 50lb bags of seeds i had my first day today i gotta say i am not sure if i wanna go back on monday i am so stiff and such sore hands lol i gues that will pass sooner or later

Jacob, congratulations!! My 15 year old can relate with you----he just started a job last week working for his aunt at a brickyard she owns. It was grueling labor! He has to go back on Monday too, and isn't so sure he's ready, LOL!
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

Applying for a Job Empty
PostSubject: Re: Applying for a Job   Applying for a Job EmptySun Jun 27, 2010 2:59 am

JW wrote:
Thanks guys i have decided i will go back on monday it's only a week and if i can't do a job for a week how do i expect to work all my life

Applying for a Job 70708 Good for you, Jacob!

Amy, wow! That would be grueling!
Back to top Go down
pamh36
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
pamh36

Number of posts : 5900

Applying for a Job Empty
PostSubject: Re: Applying for a Job   Applying for a Job EmptySun Jun 27, 2010 10:25 am

That's great that you got a job, Jacob! Congratulations!! And, good for you for deciding to go back on Monday. Sometimes it does take awhile to get adjusted to a new job and all of its demands. I'm sure you'll find it gets easier in time. If it doesn't , you can still feel good about giving it more time and trying your very best.

Applying for a Job PamKeeper
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Applying for a Job Empty
PostSubject: Re: Applying for a Job   Applying for a Job Empty

Back to top Go down

Applying for a Job
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next