Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Television Channels...

Go down 
+3
pamh36
JW
Carol
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665
Mood : Television Channels...  Happy010

Television Channels...  Empty
PostSubject: Television Channels...    Television Channels...  EmptyMon Nov 29, 2010 4:23 pm

Television sure has changed...
Television Channels...  20100524_hirschorn_560
I remember my first TV set was black and white. I remember being excited when we then got a color TV. Later on, cable and loved all the new channels. Even MORE channels came when we got Satellite service. funny tv

My satellite bill comes to about $90 because of the DVR service we also have... but here I am.... asking myself why I am paying so much since I only really watched less than 10 channels on a regular basis. I also got rid of the movie channels because well... I have instant Netflix streaming for movies. Not to mention, now a days we also have YouTube and Hulu.

I am seriously considering cutting off all channels and staying with basic local channels, since I could still watch other programs via Internet/Netflix.

What about you guys?
Do you watch most of your program/movies from TV or Internet?

Television Channels...  Horses10
Back to top Go down
JW
Isaiah Edwards
Isaiah Edwards
JW

Number of posts : 9016
Mood : Television Channels...  Happy011

PostSubject: Re: Television Channels...    Television Channels...  EmptyMon Nov 29, 2010 5:08 pm

Oh Yes TVs have sure Change our First TV was a Black and White as well, other people already had Color TV but we had Black and White and it was Wonderful lol and then we got a Color one But very Old Stlye some People had them with a Remote but we had to get up to Change Channels lol and the VCR Open on Top Very Classy lol but we never had Cable or Satellite now we can only watch one Channel I just end up Buying the Seasons and Movies that i want to see Works for Me

Television Channels...  Jacobk10Television Channels...  Jacob210
Back to top Go down
pamh36
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
pamh36

Number of posts : 5900

PostSubject: Re: Television Channels...    Television Channels...  EmptyMon Nov 29, 2010 11:33 pm

I watch both. Rather than worrying about setting a DVR (don't even have one, so that would be a little hard anyway Laughing ), I just catch shows I miss during the week online. I also watch old shows online. I've been watching Dr. Quinn episodes on YouTube lately. It's been my way to unwind and relax a bit when I have the time.

But, I need my Hallmark Channel and my Lifetime, so cable is a must for me. And, then there's Discovery Health Channel and TLC too.

Television Channels...  PamKeeper
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21164
Mood : Television Channels...  Purple2

PostSubject: Re: Television Channels...    Television Channels...  EmptyTue Nov 30, 2010 12:27 pm

No regular TV here.....at least not until I find a converter box or get cable.....I watch DVD's and Videos.....I can also remember growing up and watching black and white television.....and the remote controls back then were wonderful!!! Around our house, it was we kids......aren't we wonderful?!?!?! Seriously tho....."Rhonda, turn the tv to channel 5 please....." "Shelly, switch the tv off please..." HeeHee

Television Channels...  Rhonda10Television Channels...  Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

PostSubject: Re: Television Channels...    Television Channels...  EmptyTue Nov 30, 2010 1:25 pm

Rhonda wrote:
.....and the remote controls back then were wonderful!!! Around our house, it was we kids......aren't we wonderful?!?!?! Seriously tho....."Rhonda, turn the tv to channel 5 please....." "Shelly, switch the tv off please..." HeeHee

laugh3 So true!
So many times I'd have to get up to turn a channel, give more volume, or later put a movie in, etc. One time I asked my mom, "Is this why you had me?!" Laughing

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Television Channels...    Television Channels...  EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 11:35 am

I don't really watch much t.v anymore.............Nothing i care to watch anways..I just usually watch DVDS or i find things on YT to watch.........
Back to top Go down
MissOleson
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
MissOleson

Number of posts : 895
Mood : Television Channels...  Indiff10

PostSubject: Re: Television Channels...    Television Channels...  EmptyThu Dec 09, 2010 7:08 pm

My mother's house was the first to get a TV in the neighborhood. And we were probably the first around to get a color TV. I assume that as we were the first to get cable and a computer. Smile

I actually do watch a lot of TV, but I think my shows are limited to just a few stations. I don't watch anything over the internet. I used to belong to Netflix, but I couldn't afford it. So I decided that I will join again as soon as I have the money to waste like that. I really do kind of miss it (especially since it is a lot cheaper than going to the theater to watch movies).

I don't get any movie channels or extra channels like that. I do have digital cable, though. So I get a bunch of channels that I wouldn't have normally. Cable is very expensive, I think, but I want some of the digital channels. And I won't get them otherwise. I just wish they would offer a package that would allow you to pick the exact channels that you want.

For local/basic channels, I probably only watch 3 of them on a regular basis. As for cable, I know I watch about 5-6 of them regularly. The rest are there, I guess, if there is nothing else on TV.

Who's going to do the cooking?!?!
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

PostSubject: Re: Television Channels...    Television Channels...  EmptyThu Dec 09, 2010 7:28 pm

MissOleson wrote:
I just wish they would offer a package that would allow you to pick the exact channels that you want.

That would be fantastic! And that's why they will never offer it... Blue lol

Back to top Go down
jes9
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
jes9

Number of posts : 1066

PostSubject: Re: Television Channels...    Television Channels...  EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 10:05 pm

Yes, TV has changed a lot over the years. I only remember color TV, but we had cable from my earliest memories in the early '70s. I grew up in southern Ohio, where you could only get two channels over the air -- even with an outdoor antenna, all you could get were fuzzy pictures of the NBC and ABC stations from Huntington, WV. So we had cable that carried broadcast stations from Columbus, Cincinnati, and Cleveland, as well as the West Virginia stations that were considered our "local" channels. In 1982, we got expanded cable, with CNN, TBS, ESPN, MTV, etc.

Now I have digital HD cable with DVR, and I have hundreds of channels I never watch. About the only things I watch on TV are sports, news, Jeopardy, and The Simpsons. I'll occasionally watch a documentary on PBS, The History Channel, National Geographic, etc. I also think it would be nice to be able to subscribe to just the channels I want. I'm a sports junkie, so I'd have to have all of the ESPN networks, Fox Sports, Big Ten Network, and TBS. I'd want a few news channels, like CNN and Fox Business, and a few of the "intellectual" channels, like History and NatGeo. Everything else I can get over the air. I have all of my favorite shows (LHotP, DQMW, 7th Heaven, and The Simpsons) on DVD, so I don't have to rely on TV to watch them.

To tie this thread, sports, and LHotP altogether, you may have heard about the Giants-Vikings football game being moved to Detroit, because of the roof caving in due to heavy snow at the Vikings stadium. The game, originally scheduled for yesterday afternoon, is being played tonight, but instead of going to a national audience, it's being shown only in New York, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Rochester, and one other Minnesota city -- Mankato.

Television Channels...  JohnKeeper
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136
Mood : Television Channels...  Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: Television Channels...    Television Channels...  EmptyTue Dec 14, 2010 12:01 am

I'm thinking just the same...I have I don't know how many channels (maybe 200?), and I watch only three on regular basis! scratchead And yes; I'm paying too much for watching so few channels. Ranting

Vanesa.

Television Channels...  Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Television Channels...    Television Channels...  Empty

Back to top Go down

Television Channels...
Page 1 of 1