Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

In the Spotlight: Rhonda!

Go down 
+14
Lori
HarrisonCrosby4387
pamh36
J.v.Hunen
Rob
bethandmanly
Krissy
Rhonda
Amy
alexczarn
Gin
LIWnut
Carol
Savannah
18 posters
AuthorMessage
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
In the Spotlight: Rhonda! Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54426
Mood : In the Spotlight: Rhonda! Happy010

In the Spotlight: Rhonda! Empty
PostSubject: In the Spotlight: Rhonda!   In the Spotlight: Rhonda! EmptyFri Jul 08, 2011 1:28 pm

I'll be gone for a while again this evening, so I'm posting this one a little early again....

In the Spotlight: Rhonda! 6472 This week's Spotlight focuses on one of the board's most amazing survivors - and as you read her story, you'll find out why:

Getting to Know Rhonda!

In the Spotlight: Rhonda! Rhonda10

How did you get interested in LHOTP? I got interested in Little House as a child through the books and TV series as a teen. I got re-introduced to it when it was on TBS when I was sick with cancer (1995). It was something I could watch while the chemo meds were dripping into me. It was something that took my mind off of what I was going thru.

Which came first for you: the books or the TV series? The books in elementary school, the TV series in it's first run.

If you’ve read any of the books, which one do you like best? I like them all, but I enjoy Little House in the Big Woods, Farmer Boy and The First Four Years

How often do you watch the TV series? I don't have any channels with LH on, so I watch my DVD's that my youngest son got for me one Christmas.

Have you watched other productions of LH? If so, did you like them? I have seen all the productions that have been out and I have enjoyed them all equally. Each seem to bring a different view to Laura's life.

Did you get to see the LHOTP musical with Melissa Gilbert? YES! TWICE!!

Do you have a favorite character? I loved Laura and Ma. They were both such strong pioneer women.

Do you believe that the moral lessons that Little House taught helped to make you a better person? Can't say it made me a better person, but can say that the way I was raised helped me to appreciate the moral lessons that were taught.

Is there an episode that stands out in your mind as a favorite? Harvest of Friends-love how the town comes together to help a struggling family. I also love Remember Me with a mother of young children dealing with an illness; real close to my own life.

Do any of the episodes move you to tears? If so, why? A lot of the episodes make me cry and not enough room to list them all, so...for a couple, see above answer.

Who do you most relate to? I can relate to Laura and how she looked up to her Pa. Can also relate to the Widow Sanderson
and having to deal with illness and 3 young children.

Where were you born? I was born in Southern California....WAY South, almost to the Mexico border.

How many states/places have you lived in? States-4 Places-7: California (3x), Arkansas(2x), Oklahoma(1), Missouri(1)

How many people are in your family? Grew up in family of 6, then family of my own had 5, now it's just me.

Have you ever been married? / Are you married? I was married for 27 years, it ended in 2009. I am now starting a new chapter in my life.
Do you have children? I have 3 boys BJ-27 in November, Jake-23 in July and Josh-21 this past May.

Do any others in your family share your affection for Little House on the Prairie and Laura Ingalls Wilder’s work? Not sure my boys share my affection for LH and LIW, but they do respect MY affection for it. My oldest son, BJ is the one that took me to see LH-The Musical for a Christmas gift. It was fun to watch him watching the musical....he loved it as much as I did.

Have you met any of the cast members? No, but was an email pal with Kevin Hagen for a while before his death.

Do you own anything Little House related? OH MY! Yes! I have the books (Josh bought these for me), the Ashton Drake dolls (inherited these from my Aunt), an autographed picture of the cast (BJ bought this off eBay for me) Complete DVD Set (Josh bought for me) Little House Christmas Ornaments (Gin bought for me) Some books about Laura, Post Cards and pictures from Rocky Ridge farm in Mansfield. MO, and somewhere, I have a thimble from Rocky Ridge (my Aunt bought this for me since I collect thimbles)

In the Spotlight: Rhonda! Misc_p10

In the Spotlight: Rhonda! Misc_p11

In the Spotlight: Rhonda! Misc_p12

Have you met any of the board members? Yes, I have met Gin face to face. We met the first time on June 7, 2007.

In the Spotlight: Rhonda! GinandRhonda

How long have you been a member on the LH board? I have been a member since 1998, making it 13 years.

What are some things that you enjoy doing to relax? Playing board games, card games, and riding bicycles.

What season do you like best? Spring, summer, autumn or winter? Autumn

What season were you born in? Summer

What is your favorite holiday? Halloween was always a favorite because of the dressing up and fun and games, but since my 2 youngest boys joined the Air Force, I love the 4th of July more and have a deeper respect for our freedom.

In the Spotlight: Rhonda! Jake_s10

In the Spotlight: Rhonda! Josh_s10

What has been your biggest challenge? That would be going through cancer, TWICE....First time when my boys were 5, 7 and 11...the second time when they were 7, 9 and 13.

What are some of your best memories? The birth of my 3 sons and watching them graduate from High School (I promised them that I would beat my cancer in order to watch them graduate), and then watching the 2 younger ones graduate from Basic Military Training.

In the Spotlight: Rhonda! Jake_s11

In the Spotlight: Rhonda! Josh_s11

In the Spotlight: Rhonda! Jake_s12

In the Spotlight: Rhonda! Josh_s12

How did you find this board? My sister and I were chatting online and Little House was mentioned. She knew how much I loved it and did a search and gave me the link. Since then, we have had 3, 4 or more sites...lol

What is one of the things you like best about our LH board? The friends and being able to ask for and say prayers without being judged or persecuted for it.

Were you shy or outgoing as a child? I was very outgoing, got shy as I got older...

What did you want to be when you were growing up, and did that pan out? I wanted to be a a teacher and a mom. I did both.
What was your first pet? My first pet was a stray dog that needed a home.

Did you go to your prom? If so, what was the theme & style of the time? No prom for me, dancing was something we (family) didn't do when growing up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In the Spotlight: Rhonda! 25973 Thank you for letting us get to know you better, Rhonda. In the Spotlight: Rhonda! 410460 You really are an amazing lady.
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665

PostSubject: Re: In the Spotlight: Rhonda!   In the Spotlight: Rhonda! EmptyFri Jul 08, 2011 1:48 pm

Excellent post! Thumbsup

Rhonda, I did not know about you living in Oklahoma

I am EXTREMELY JEALOUS of your LHOTP collection! greenS

In the Spotlight: Rhonda! Horses10
Back to top Go down
LIWnut
Proverbs 3:5-6
Proverbs 3:5-6
LIWnut

Number of posts : 2539
Mood : In the Spotlight: Rhonda! Cloud910

PostSubject: Re: In the Spotlight: Rhonda!   In the Spotlight: Rhonda! EmptyFri Jul 08, 2011 2:40 pm

Rhonda, you are an inspiritation to all of us. I enjoyed reading your answers to these questions and learning more about my Prairie Pal. I am so glad to have you as a friend here. Thanks for sharing with us.

In the Spotlight: Rhonda! MarilynKeeper In the Spotlight: Rhonda! Bookclub2
Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

Number of posts : 5920
Mood : In the Spotlight: Rhonda! Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: In the Spotlight: Rhonda!   In the Spotlight: Rhonda! EmptyFri Jul 08, 2011 3:52 pm

Love it...makes me want to see you again real soon!

In the Spotlight: Rhonda! Project2

It is the lack of Christianity that has  brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts.  LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
alexczarn
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

Number of posts : 22999

PostSubject: Re: In the Spotlight: Rhonda!   In the Spotlight: Rhonda! EmptyFri Jul 08, 2011 6:14 pm

You are amazing Rhonda! Thumbsup

In the Spotlight: Rhonda! Alexke11
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417

PostSubject: Re: In the Spotlight: Rhonda!   In the Spotlight: Rhonda! EmptyFri Jul 08, 2011 6:24 pm

Wonderful answers Rhonda, and fantastic pictures too! Like Carol, I am definitely envious of your LH collection. loveheart You are such a lovely lady and I am so glad we have had all these years to get to know each other so well! Smiley Hug
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21171
Mood : In the Spotlight: Rhonda! Purple2

PostSubject: Re: In the Spotlight: Rhonda!   In the Spotlight: Rhonda! EmptyFri Jul 08, 2011 7:29 pm

Aww, thanks everyone....I was quite surprised to find out I was going to be in the Spotlight this week, and honestly, I'm not one to be the center of attention or in the spotlight....so, I don't know what to say....... ShyGirl

In the Spotlight: Rhonda! Rhonda10In the Spotlight: Rhonda! Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45732
Mood : In the Spotlight: Rhonda! Headac10

PostSubject: Re: In the Spotlight: Rhonda!   In the Spotlight: Rhonda! EmptyFri Jul 08, 2011 10:45 pm

great to know you better. Thumbsup

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600
Mood : In the Spotlight: Rhonda! Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: In the Spotlight: Rhonda!   In the Spotlight: Rhonda! EmptySun Jul 10, 2011 12:33 am

Loved getting to know you better, Rhonda. I've seen some of these photos of the boys, but some of these photos are new to me. May God bless you with something wonderful as you start a new chapter in your life.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

PostSubject: Re: In the Spotlight: Rhonda!   In the Spotlight: Rhonda! EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 8:19 am

Thanks Krissy and Cheryl....... ShyGirl

Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62616
Mood : In the Spotlight: Rhonda! Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: In the Spotlight: Rhonda!   In the Spotlight: Rhonda! EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 8:48 am

Great profile, Rhonda! In the Spotlight: Rhonda! 70708
Back to top Go down
J.v.Hunen
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 67

PostSubject: Re: In the Spotlight: Rhonda!   In the Spotlight: Rhonda! EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 1:44 am

Great to learn more from you Rhoda.
Youre are a big fighter Rhonda whit your fight to cancer !
Thumbsup
I stand behind youre son's to for freedom I wish them all luck of the world for the freedom!
Back to top Go down
pamh36
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
pamh36

Number of posts : 5900

PostSubject: Re: In the Spotlight: Rhonda!   In the Spotlight: Rhonda! EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 7:27 am

I really enjoyed reading your answers, Rhonda. I absolutely love your Little House collection. Thank you for sharing.

In the Spotlight: Rhonda! PamKeeper
Back to top Go down
HarrisonCrosby4387
THE #1 Survivor fan
THE #1 Survivor fan
HarrisonCrosby4387

Number of posts : 4828
Mood : In the Spotlight: Rhonda! Happy011

PostSubject: Re: In the Spotlight: Rhonda!   In the Spotlight: Rhonda! EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 4:23 pm

I really enjoyed reading this Rhonda! Great interview. greenS

LETS GO PENS!
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

PostSubject: Re: In the Spotlight: Rhonda!   In the Spotlight: Rhonda! EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 6:38 pm

Thanks everyone.....And Jan, thank you for your support to my boys...I appreciate that! Smile

Back to top Go down
Lori
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Lori

Number of posts : 6032

PostSubject: Re: In the Spotlight: Rhonda!   In the Spotlight: Rhonda! EmptyMon Jul 18, 2011 10:32 am

It was wonderful to read your answers, Rhonda.

In the Spotlight: Rhonda! Lorike10
Back to top Go down
MissOleson
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
MissOleson

Number of posts : 895
Mood : In the Spotlight: Rhonda! Indiff10

PostSubject: Re: In the Spotlight: Rhonda!   In the Spotlight: Rhonda! EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 1:22 am

I really enjoyed reading your answers! Smile I have to admit that I am jealous that you have the Almanzo doll. That is the one that I never managed to get. So my collection is still incomplete. Blue

Who's going to do the cooking?!?!
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

PostSubject: Re: In the Spotlight: Rhonda!   In the Spotlight: Rhonda! EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 8:04 am

Thanks ladies.....

You can check for Almanzo on ebay....Here is the link from today, July 28, 2011....I saw at least 5 of them with price ranges from $9.99-$129.99.....
Thumbsup

eBay-Almanzo

Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417

PostSubject: Re: In the Spotlight: Rhonda!   In the Spotlight: Rhonda! EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 10:15 am

Rhonda, where was the picture taken in your avatar, do you know? Was that the most recent reunion? I don't think I've ever seen this---can you share a full image?

I would LOVE a set of the LH Ashton Drake dolls. I am not a doll collector, but I admit I would like to own just the Little House dolls. Maybe I should ask for one each Christmas. Thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136
Mood : In the Spotlight: Rhonda! Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: In the Spotlight: Rhonda!   In the Spotlight: Rhonda! EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 6:32 pm

Rhonda: I have the impression I knew you all my life long...You are such a caring and warm person! Smiley Hug

I loved the anecdote of your son bringing you to watch the musical...that was so sweet from him...and the best of it al was that he also enjoyed it! batEyes

"Remember me" is also one of my most beloved episodes; Patricia Neal was great in it.You really believed she was close to death and was afraid of what could happen with her three beatiful children... bawling I can easily understand how do you feel when watching this episode...

Your children are very good looking, Rhonda! Congrats! Thumbsup

Vanesa.

In the Spotlight: Rhonda! Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

PostSubject: Re: In the Spotlight: Rhonda!   In the Spotlight: Rhonda! EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 8:14 pm

Vanesa, you are too sweet.....Thank you for all your kind words....and I think my boys are good looking too.... grinsmiley ShyGirl

Amy, That was from the Today Show when they visited with the cast members back in May, 2007....
Today Show-Little House

In the Spotlight: Rhonda! Little20house20234
Dean B., Leslie L., Charlotte S., Alison A., Richard B., Katherine M., Karen G., Lindsey G.

In the Spotlight: Rhonda! Little20house20148
Kaitlyn(Lindsey's daughter) Lindsey, Dean

In the Spotlight: Rhonda! Little20house20150
Alison pretending to be Laura coming down the hill....haha

In the Spotlight: Rhonda! Little20house20166
Karen G. and Charlotte S.

In the Spotlight: Rhonda! Little20house20214
Richard B., Katherine M.

In the Spotlight: Rhonda! Little20house20272
Leslie L., Dean B., Richard B.

Back to top Go down
alexczarn
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

Number of posts : 22999

PostSubject: Re: In the Spotlight: Rhonda!   In the Spotlight: Rhonda! EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 8:18 pm

Love those shots Rhonda! Thumbsup

In the Spotlight: Rhonda! Alexke11
Back to top Go down
Ruth
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ruth

Number of posts : 2916
Mood : In the Spotlight: Rhonda! Pbucket

PostSubject: Re: In the Spotlight: Rhonda!   In the Spotlight: Rhonda! EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 8:19 pm

Oh...Nice...

I love the 3rd one!!!!!!!!!!! grinsmiley

Leaves In the Spotlight: Rhonda! RuthKeeper Leaves
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45732
Mood : In the Spotlight: Rhonda! Headac10

PostSubject: Re: In the Spotlight: Rhonda!   In the Spotlight: Rhonda! EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 9:09 pm

lovely Thumbsup

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
flatbroke
Man of Constant Sorrow
Man of Constant Sorrow
flatbroke

Number of posts : 2648
Mood : In the Spotlight: Rhonda! Party010

PostSubject: Re: In the Spotlight: Rhonda!   In the Spotlight: Rhonda! EmptyThu Aug 04, 2011 1:43 am

I've known you so long, I can't think of anything to ask. scratchead
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: In the Spotlight: Rhonda!   In the Spotlight: Rhonda! Empty

Back to top Go down

In the Spotlight: Rhonda!
Page 1 of 1