Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Mexican-American War

Go down 
+2
Rob
Carol
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665
Mood : The Mexican-American War Happy010

The Mexican-American War Empty
PostSubject: The Mexican-American War   The Mexican-American War EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 12:09 pm

Maybe I was asleep during the time they gave this history lesson at school Laughing but I didn't know how much of the U.S. used to be owned by Mexico.

They used to own California, Nevada, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas, as well as parts of Wyoming, Colorado, Oklahoma and Kansas, until the Mexican-American War (1846-1848).

Just a map I found showing how much they owned: thud

The Mexican-American War Propaganda

The Mexican-American War Horses10
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62618
Mood : The Mexican-American War Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican-American War   The Mexican-American War EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 12:40 pm

Boy, that's quite a chunk of territory. Between Mexico and France, they owned about 3/4ths of the country. The Mexican-American War 244441
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600
Mood : The Mexican-American War Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican-American War   The Mexican-American War EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 1:10 pm

Well, if you were in school nowadays, you probably wouldn't learn about it at all. I heard in some states they are trying to take American history out as a graduation requirement. But I think in Philadelphia, Black History is a requirement. Nothing against that, but American history in some form should be taught every year.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican-American War   The Mexican-American War EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 1:55 pm

bethandmanly wrote:
Well, if you were in school nowadays, you probably wouldn't learn about it at all. I heard in some states they are trying to take American history out as a graduation requirement. But I think in Philadelphia, Black History is a requirement. Nothing against that, but American history in some form should be taught every year.

Just as long as the teacher is EQUIPPED to teach History and not make it boring! lol
I did not like my history teacher in High School. He made the teacher from Farris Bueller look exciting!

The Mexican-American War Ferris-Bueller-Boring-Econ-Teacher

thud

Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45733
Mood : The Mexican-American War Headac10

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican-American War   The Mexican-American War EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 4:40 pm

never knew that..I didn't like my canadian history teacher.she was mean.

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
alexczarn
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

Number of posts : 22999

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican-American War   The Mexican-American War EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 5:06 pm

bethandmanly wrote:
I heard in some states they are trying to take American history out as a graduation requirement. But I think in Philadelphia, Black History is a requirement. Nothing against that, but American history in some form should be taught every year.

Under the name of Political Correctness. Yeah right. No

The Mexican-American War Alexke11
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136
Mood : The Mexican-American War Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican-American War   The Mexican-American War EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 6:33 pm

Yes. The map was right. I've studied it when I was making my History master and the map of Mexico before the start of the war was like the one you posted, Carol. Smile

Vanesa.

The Mexican-American War Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican-American War   The Mexican-American War EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 6:34 pm

It's no wonder why a lot of the names of places in those are are Spanish names.

Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican-American War   The Mexican-American War EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 6:52 pm

So it looks like this is what happened:

Mexico only owned the Southwestern states for 25 years. The US has owned those lands for over 160 years. Both California and Texas rebelled from Mexico and became independant nations then joined the U.S. The rest of them were won in a war against Mexico in which the US forgave all Mexican debt and paid $15 million for them.

Actually the land belonged to Native Americans but they had no chance at all with their bows and arrows against the gun powder from the other side.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Mexican-American War   The Mexican-American War Empty

Back to top Go down

The Mexican-American War
Page 1 of 1