Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Crossed Connections

Go down 
+5
Shell
Vanesa
Krissy
Ruth
alexczarn
9 posters
AuthorMessage
alexczarn
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

Number of posts : 22999
Mood : Crossed Connections Happy010

Crossed Connections Empty
PostSubject: Crossed Connections   Crossed Connections EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 7:20 pm

The newly-invented telephone comes to Walnut Grove. The switchboard, housed in Nellie's Restaurant, is manned by Harriet, the system's new operator. She listens in on a phone conversation from Alice Garvey about her past, which has an adverse effect on the entire Garvey family.

Good episode; it combines the serious(Alice Garvey's) 1st husband, with the funny(Harriet and the stock market.) One thing though, Walnut Grove seems to get the latest and greatest things before anyone else. greenS

Crossed Connections Alexke11
Back to top Go down
Ruth
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ruth

Number of posts : 2916
Mood : Crossed Connections Pbucket

PostSubject: Re: Crossed Connections   Crossed Connections EmptyMon Sep 19, 2011 10:17 pm

alexczarn wrote:
[i] with the funny(Harriet and the stock market.)

The part were Harriet comes in and she's just lost all her money is just hilarious!!!!!! laugh3 laugh3 laugh3

Great episode... Smile

Leaves Crossed Connections RuthKeeper Leaves
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45733
Mood : Crossed Connections Headac10

PostSubject: Re: Crossed Connections   Crossed Connections EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 9:20 pm

people today still listien on eacher's converstions.That's nothing new.

Liked the esp/ Smile

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136
Mood : Crossed Connections Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: Crossed Connections   Crossed Connections EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 11:42 pm

sweetkrissy2011 wrote:
people today still listien on eacher's converstions.That's nothing new.

Liked the esp/ Smile

There's a similar situation in "On the Banks of the Bayou", by Roger Lea MacBride, in his books about Rose Wilder's childhood. Rose was in Crowley, Louisiana, living with auntie Eliza Jane when she discovered private telephones. Eliza had one in her house and if other people was speaking you could listen to them. Rose and cousin Wilder had a great time listen to Mansfield neighbors' private conversation at phone and had a great deal of fun until Eliza Jane came and commanded them to leave the telephone alone... Laughing

But all this was in 1904 and "Crossed Connections" is almost 18 ears earlier than the telephone episode in Crowley...I don't know if in the late 1870 or 1880, having a telephone in a little Middlewest town was that common. scratchead

Vanesa.

Crossed Connections Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

PostSubject: Re: Crossed Connections   Crossed Connections EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 11:26 pm

I didn't know that. I guess listing on phone converstions was like watching T.V. ROTFL

My grandmother had a party line. She had to share her phone line with the other ppl on the street.This was in the country.

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
Shell
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
Shell

Number of posts : 1353
Mood : Crossed Connections Purple2

PostSubject: Re: Crossed Connections   Crossed Connections EmptySun May 20, 2012 10:38 pm

Not a favorite episode. It was okay.
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600

PostSubject: Re: Crossed Connections   Crossed Connections EmptySun May 20, 2012 10:41 pm

I didn't like this one either. The poor Garveys were given more than their share of marital woes.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Shell
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
Shell

Number of posts : 1353
Mood : Crossed Connections Purple2

PostSubject: Re: Crossed Connections   Crossed Connections EmptyWed May 23, 2012 9:08 pm

bethandmanly wrote:
I didn't like this one either. The poor Garveys were given more than their share of marital woes.
How very true. They almost divorced in The High Cost Of Being Right because of Jonathan's refusal to let her work, then was mad because she didn't tell him she was married before.
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

PostSubject: Re: Crossed Connections   Crossed Connections EmptyFri May 25, 2012 10:48 pm

But they least worked out the problems.

Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136

PostSubject: Re: Crossed Connections   Crossed Connections EmptyFri May 25, 2012 11:54 pm

sweetkrissy2011 wrote:

Yes...But they must suffer soooo much in the show! They reminds me a little the kind of situations the writers will imagine for poor Mary. Ranting banghead mad

Vanesa.

Crossed Connections Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600

PostSubject: Re: Crossed Connections   Crossed Connections EmptySat May 26, 2012 2:15 am

Vanesa wrote:
sweetkrissy2011 wrote:

Yes...But they must suffer soooo much in the show! They reminds me a little the kind of situations the writers will imagine for poor Mary. Ranting banghead mad

Vanesa.

Exactly. I just wanted the Garveys to get along. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Kristina
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Kristina

Number of posts : 7863

PostSubject: Re: Crossed Connections   Crossed Connections EmptySat Sep 28, 2013 9:35 am

I watched this entire episode for the first time yesterday (I had seen the beginning but not all of it) and I was happy to see Nels standing up to Harriet! I don't think we saw that often enough in the show grinsmiley 
Back to top Go down
LauraIngallsfan
"Psalm 73"
Crossed Connections MatthewRank
LauraIngallsfan

Number of posts : 9265
Mood : Crossed Connections Happy010

PostSubject: Re: Crossed Connections   Crossed Connections EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 11:44 pm

This one is one of my favorites!! Of course after Walnut Grove gets telephone service, Harriet begins listening in and spreading what she hears. Information about Alice's first husband got out in just about the worst way possible, and caused a ton of problems for the Garvey's. I absolutely loved how Albert and Laura thought up a perfect way to handle the issue of Harriet listening in on other's conversations.... They used the fact that she listened in on the phone, and had the banker call someone about a "hot tip" that was really false. Harriet fell for it, even to the point of giving her portion of the store over to Nels. I was laughing so hard when Harriet walked in and made a huge scene about loosing everything.... Nels just sat there with no compassion and told her she can get a job. laugh3 I love how she ended up getting a job working for Nels at the store, now that he owned all of it! ROTFL I have never seen Harriet get it so good.

I was happy that Jonathan came to his senses in the end and everything worked out for the Garveys. Wonderful ending to a very good episode!

“I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.”  - Laura Ingalls Wilder

Crossed Connections Laurai10
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/mylittlehouselibrary/
amyk
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler

Number of posts : 540

PostSubject: Re: Crossed Connections   Crossed Connections EmptyTue Mar 09, 2021 10:46 pm

I do think Alice should have told Jonathan she was married before. That would be quite a shock, I think, to find out that your spouse had been married before if they didn't tell you. But back in those days, perhaps it would have been so scandalous so maybe her reasons make even more sense than they would nowadays. In any case, I'm glad that Jonathan did come back to her, although once again I'm kind of sad knowing what is going to soon be happening with Alice.

Also, it seems like Harriet quickly regained control of the store in future episodes. I think it would have been kind of nice if at least for a while, Nels really was the sole store owner and Harriet just worked for him. Then she could not be so snippy with everyone and tell them they could not charge or whatever.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Crossed Connections   Crossed Connections Empty

Back to top Go down

Crossed Connections
Page 1 of 1