Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

So how did Doc Baker survive?

Go down 
+4
Davetucson
Prairie Dweller
Praire Girl
littlehouselover
8 posters
AuthorMessage
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
littlehouselover

Number of posts : 1056

So how did Doc Baker survive? Empty
PostSubject: So how did Doc Baker survive?   So how did Doc Baker survive? EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 8:26 am

I was reading some interesting things about pioneer docs:

Like today, 19th century doctors usually charged their patients per procedure. They may have charged more for emergency evening visits or charged less for the treatment of a child. One major difference from doctors of today is that 19th century doctors were not often paid with cash, but rather “in kind” with whatever produce, services, or goods were available to the patient. This was especially true for rural or frontier doctors.

and this article about the medicine men that would come to town and get unsuspecting people (like Harriet and other on a LHOP episode)

http://www.squidoo.com/oldwestpatentmedicine

I know Doc Baker mentioned getting paid in eggs, chickens, etc. but how did you pay your bills? How did he buy medicine and supplies with that?
I guess if you had a few wealthy patients, it helped.
Also did he have a home or just live adjacent to his office? I wondered how he cooked, he wasn't much of a hunter/farmer as he showed in the episode where he "quit" for a while.
Back to top Go down
Praire Girl
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 132

PostSubject: Re: So how did Doc Baker survive?   So how did Doc Baker survive? EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 10:31 am

Interesting how far we've come in some areas but not others. We still have people try to have us buy things for "quick cures".

I just watched an episode where he got a lot of supplies, including morphine and only remember one episode where Doc Baker took money. I've seen pies, eggs, jam, etc.
Back to top Go down
Prairie Dweller
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
Prairie Dweller

Number of posts : 853
Mood : So how did Doc Baker survive? Happy010

PostSubject: Re: So how did Doc Baker survive?   So how did Doc Baker survive? EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 11:07 am

I think that Doc Baker lived above his office. There are rooms for rent above the Post Office and I believe there's an episode where we see him in one of the rooms. How he cooked his food, I don't know! I guess we weren't supposed to think about it! :)

So how did Doc Baker survive? PDKeeper
Back to top Go down
http://avonleavignettes.com
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

Number of posts : 9374
Mood : So how did Doc Baker survive? Bokmal10

PostSubject: DOC BAKER   So how did Doc Baker survive? EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 11:58 am

Prairie Dweller wrote:
I think that Doc Baker lived above his office. There are rooms for rent above the Post Office and I believe there's an episode where we see him in one of the rooms. How he cooked his food, I don't know! I guess we weren't supposed to think about it! :)

You are absolutely right. If you watch "There's No Place Like Home", he took care of Lars Hansen in his final days up there above the post office. Thats where Doc Baker lived. It was a boarding house.
He was paid many times in many episodes. Charles always said, I'll pay you at the end of the week. He took food from the people that couldn't.
Back to top Go down
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
littlehouselover

Number of posts : 1056

PostSubject: Re: So how did Doc Baker survive?   So how did Doc Baker survive? EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 2:20 pm

I suppose the richer the town, the more the doctor would have in equipment too. At least he didn't have to bill the insurance companies and mail out statements. : )
Back to top Go down
Kamberley
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
Kamberley

Number of posts : 628
Mood : So how did Doc Baker survive? Indiff10

PostSubject: Re: So how did Doc Baker survive?   So how did Doc Baker survive? EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 9:11 pm

Maybe he owned the boarding house?
Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

Number of posts : 9374

PostSubject: Re: So how did Doc Baker survive?   So how did Doc Baker survive? EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 9:44 pm

Could be.................

"Albert, do you REALLY think you are old enough to know what love is?"
"I must be Pa. I love you, I have for a long time."
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136

PostSubject: Re: So how did Doc Baker survive?   So how did Doc Baker survive? EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 12:10 am

My Great-Grandpa was a country doctor, like Doctor Baker was. He was payed with pigs, chickens, apples, flour and so on....But of course he also had "wealthy patients" who payed him with money...My Great-Grandma was the one who cooked, sometimes with the supplies tht "poor patients" gave to his husband, sometimes purchasing edible things at the local mercantile (yes! Here we hadthose too, and they were called "almacén de ramos generales" ).

One of my Greatgrandpa friens, was wealthy, but payed him with a COW, that was better than to be payed with money. Cows were very espensive...and he had milk enough to have butter, cheese, toffe cream, rich cream, buttermilk and of course milk for their two boys. They also gave what remained (and it was a lot), to sell to beighbros and even to give to poor patients... Smile

Vanesa.

So how did Doc Baker survive? Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600

PostSubject: Re: So how did Doc Baker survive?   So how did Doc Baker survive? EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 2:04 am

There's also an episode where Caroline goes with Doc Baker to visit a pregnant friend at a gold mining camp. He is paid in gold nuggets and says there is way more in value there than the medicine and supplies cost.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45733
Mood : So how did Doc Baker survive? Headac10

PostSubject: Re: So how did Doc Baker survive?   So how did Doc Baker survive? EmptySat Jul 28, 2012 8:15 pm

That must of been hard to be a doctor in them times.I often woundered how he got food, pay his bills too...I think he lived in a room up top of the office.I remember too seeing it in a esp.

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So how did Doc Baker survive?   So how did Doc Baker survive? Empty

Back to top Go down

So how did Doc Baker survive?
Page 1 of 1