Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Caroline Years - On Top Of Concord Hill

Go down 
+4
ChristinaAL
Savannah
LHFanForever
rana
8 posters
AuthorMessage
rana
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
rana

Number of posts : 119

The Caroline Years - On Top Of Concord Hill Empty
PostSubject: The Caroline Years - On Top Of Concord Hill   The Caroline Years - On Top Of Concord Hill EmptyFri Jun 15, 2007 8:00 am

I need some help - once again.

In our german LHOTP-Forum we started a series of book reviews (like kind of a service from Fans for Fans).
We nearly completed the Caroline Years series, but nobody of us owns the book "On Top Of Concord Hill". Even I don't know why, this special book seems to be very rare and the prices at amazon or ebay are just dreadful high. So it seems very unlikely, that one in the forum will buy it in the foreseeable future.

reader Well, we really would like to fill the gap in our reviews of the Caroline Years, so I thought if anybody here had read "On Top Of Concord Hill", he (or she) could give me a short* summary of what happens in that book?
It would really help.
Thanks in advance and I hope you don't feel exploited by that. :adore:

*usually our summaries count about 150 up to 200 words - just as a value of reference

The Caroline Years - On Top Of Concord Hill Ranake10
Back to top Go down
LHFanForever
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
LHFanForever

Number of posts : 52

PostSubject: Re: The Caroline Years - On Top Of Concord Hill   The Caroline Years - On Top Of Concord Hill EmptyFri Jun 29, 2007 7:09 pm

Its been awhile since I read it. It's a great book though I really enjoyed the Caroline years.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
The Caroline Years - On Top Of Concord Hill Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54429
Mood : The Caroline Years - On Top Of Concord Hill Happy010

PostSubject: Re: The Caroline Years - On Top Of Concord Hill   The Caroline Years - On Top Of Concord Hill EmptyFri Jun 29, 2007 8:09 pm

I haven't read it, but HOLY COW - you weren't kidding when you said it's expensive! I looked around online, too see if any of the places where I buy books might have it at a reasonable price, but couldn't find a copy. And on ebay.....YIKES. I hope you find someone who can help you out.
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: The Caroline Years - On Top Of Concord Hill   The Caroline Years - On Top Of Concord Hill EmptyFri Jun 29, 2007 8:18 pm

Here's a short synopsis that I found. I don't know if it's any help, but anyway.......

Caroline is nine years old, and she feels settled in her new little house in Concord, Wisconsin. She's beginning to explore the area and is looking forward to going to school when disaster strikes. It's a cholera epidemic and it's sweeping the state. It's up to Caroline to help keep her family together and pull them through this terrible time.
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: The Caroline Years - On Top Of Concord Hill   The Caroline Years - On Top Of Concord Hill EmptyFri Jun 29, 2007 8:25 pm

And this link takes you to where you can read a couple of pages from the book:

Click
Back to top Go down
rana
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
rana

Number of posts : 119

PostSubject: Re: The Caroline Years - On Top Of Concord Hill   The Caroline Years - On Top Of Concord Hill EmptySat Jun 30, 2007 2:36 pm

Thanks for your help, Savannah. This is more of a summary than we could find by now. :CoolSign:

The Caroline Years - On Top Of Concord Hill Ranake10
Back to top Go down
ChristinaAL
Little House Lady
Little House Lady
ChristinaAL

Number of posts : 2761

PostSubject: Re: The Caroline Years - On Top Of Concord Hill   The Caroline Years - On Top Of Concord Hill EmptySun Jul 01, 2007 2:23 pm

Rana, this is the one book I haven't been able to get a hold of either. I have the rest of the Caroline Years, but this one is very difficult to find for some reason. Also, I tried to order it from Border's bookstore once, but since they themselves didn't have it, they said they could search for used copies of it - starting at $25! I really can't spend that much for one paperback book right now, I really wish it was available with the others. I wonder why it isn't?

The Caroline Years - On Top Of Concord Hill ChristinaKeeper2 The Caroline Years - On Top Of Concord Hill 10bChristina

"It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong."
Back to top Go down
LIWnut
Proverbs 3:5-6
LIWnut

Number of posts : 2539
Mood : The Caroline Years - On Top Of Concord Hill Cloud910

PostSubject: Re: The Caroline Years - On Top Of Concord Hill   The Caroline Years - On Top Of Concord Hill EmptySun Jul 01, 2007 3:27 pm

Try finding it at a used bookstore. I think I have seen copies at the one near me. I'll keep looking there and will buy it next time I see it. I'm sure someone here would like it. I'll have to check the shipping cost to Germany.

The Caroline Years - On Top Of Concord Hill MarilynKeeper The Caroline Years - On Top Of Concord Hill Bookclub2
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136
Mood : The Caroline Years - On Top Of Concord Hill Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: The Caroline Years - On Top Of Concord Hill   The Caroline Years - On Top Of Concord Hill EmptySun Jul 08, 2007 7:07 pm

I purchased this one at Amazon longtime ago (now it cost four times more to me, for we had had a devaluation in my country, so I can't purchase any new foreign books! bawling :crySC: ). I really like "Caroline Years" I think they made a great effort to write a worthy set of books using her childhood as basis, and they succeded.

I'm sorry I couldn't read the last two ones, but the former ones I've read are just GREAT.

Vanesa.

The Caroline Years - On Top Of Concord Hill Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
Prairie Dweller
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
Prairie Dweller

Number of posts : 853

PostSubject: Re: The Caroline Years - On Top Of Concord Hill   The Caroline Years - On Top Of Concord Hill EmptyWed Jul 18, 2007 1:06 pm

I'd write a review for you, but I haven't read the book recently.

I checked CBD, but they have all of the books except that one!

There's a copy here for four dollars, but I don't know if they will ship to Germany.

The Caroline Years - On Top Of Concord Hill PDKeeper
Back to top Go down
http://avonleavignettes.com
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: The Caroline Years - On Top Of Concord Hill   The Caroline Years - On Top Of Concord Hill EmptyThu Jul 19, 2007 11:31 pm

There are also a couple of copies Here

It looks like a couple of them would be a relatively good price to ship to Germany, too!
Back to top Go down
LIWnut
LIWnut

PostSubject: Re: The Caroline Years - On Top Of Concord Hill   The Caroline Years - On Top Of Concord Hill EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 5:13 pm

Guess where I went today!!! I was in the town of Concord, WI where the Caroline years stories take place. We saw the properties where the Ingalls and Quiner families lived and the property of where Caroline first taught school. Of course their houses and buildings have been replaced by modern ones but it was cool to see the lay of the land where they lived and farmed. We were on the territorial road that is mentioned in the books. It was really cool. We also went into a log cabin that has been restored by the Historical society in Concord. They have began to try furnishing it. They haven't got much yet but the're workin on it.

The Caroline Years - On Top Of Concord Hill MarilynKeeper The Caroline Years - On Top Of Concord Hill Bookclub2
Back to top Go down
Prairie Dweller
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
Prairie Dweller

Number of posts : 853

PostSubject: Re: The Caroline Years - On Top Of Concord Hill   The Caroline Years - On Top Of Concord Hill EmptySat Jul 19, 2008 12:34 pm

Oh, that's really cool, Marilyn! Did you take any photos?

In 2006 I was about fifteen minutes away from it and didn't even realize it. No When I discovered that I was pretty bummed out. That's actually the closest Little House site to me...

The Caroline Years - On Top Of Concord Hill PDKeeper
Back to top Go down
http://avonleavignettes.com
LIWnut
LIWnut

PostSubject: Re: The Caroline Years - On Top Of Concord Hill   The Caroline Years - On Top Of Concord Hill EmptySat Jul 19, 2008 4:41 pm

I tood a few pictures. I am in the company of Laura's first cousin twice removed. Her great grandfather was Charles' brother Hiram. I took a pic in front of her in tront of the house where Landsford's house once stood. She has met the people who live there and has seen their deed to the property that bears Landsford Ingalls' name. That's her great, great grandpa and Laura's grandpa.
We saw the Quiner land but there wasn't much to take a pic of, its just land so I skipped it. The Hiscorical society has errected a log cabin from the Ingalls era and a sign that tells of CI and CI living in the area.
I will post the pics when I return home in mid Aug.

Back to top Go down
LHOTPfan2000
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
LHOTPfan2000

Number of posts : 675
Mood : The Caroline Years - On Top Of Concord Hill Confus10

PostSubject: Caroline.   The Caroline Years - On Top Of Concord Hill EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 9:06 am

Where can I buy the Caroline years book on top of concord hill for £10/$10 or less.

Thanks.

The Caroline Years - On Top Of Concord Hill PhoebeKeeper

“It was a huge shock when it came and very excited“

This was the duchess of cambridges take on how she felt when William proposed during their official engagement interview with ITN reporter Tom Bradby. There was a real giggle at the end. Cute.
Back to top Go down
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/phoeberule
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: The Caroline Years - On Top Of Concord Hill   The Caroline Years - On Top Of Concord Hill EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 1:41 pm

Unless you find it at a used bookstore, thrift store, or yard sale, you are VERY unlikely to find it for that price. It's out-of-print and considered very hard to find. So the prices for it online range from $25-108 (U.S. prices) Good luck in your search, though!
Back to top Go down
LHOTPfan2000
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
LHOTPfan2000

Number of posts : 675
Mood : The Caroline Years - On Top Of Concord Hill Confus10

PostSubject: Re: The Caroline Years - On Top Of Concord Hill   The Caroline Years - On Top Of Concord Hill EmptyFri Jun 14, 2013 4:28 am

Lisa wrote:
Unless you find it at a used bookstore, thrift store, or yard sale, you are VERY unlikely to find it for that price. It's out-of-print and considered very hard to find. So the prices for it online range from $25-108 (U.S. prices) Good luck in your search, though!
Ok Thanks. I will just have to keep checking on amazon!

The Caroline Years - On Top Of Concord Hill PhoebeKeeper

“It was a huge shock when it came and very excited“

This was the duchess of cambridges take on how she felt when William proposed during their official engagement interview with ITN reporter Tom Bradby. There was a real giggle at the end. Cute.
Back to top Go down
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/phoeberule
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Caroline Years - On Top Of Concord Hill   The Caroline Years - On Top Of Concord Hill Empty

Back to top Go down

The Caroline Years - On Top Of Concord Hill
Page 1 of 1