Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Save the Planet

Go down 
+2
RoseRed
Carol
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665
Mood : Save the Planet Happy010

Save the Planet Empty
PostSubject: Save the Planet   Save the Planet EmptyMon Jun 18, 2007 6:13 pm

In honor of my new Avatar I will post the following facts and things we can do to help our only home. grinsmiley

FACTS ABOUT THE EARTH

Save the Planet Icon_mini_earth If you throw away 2 aluminum cans, you waste more energy than 1,000,000,000 (one billion) of the world's poorest people use a day.

Save the Planet Icon_mini_earth More than 1,000,000,000 (one billion) trees are used to make disposable diapers every year.

Save the Planet Icon_mini_earth Some rain has a pH of 3 or 4. (which is pretty acidic, considering 7 is neutral, not acidic, and battery acid has a pH of 1). Some fish, such as lake trout and smallmouth bass, have trouble reproducing at a pH of 6, which is only slightly acidic. Some clams and snails can't survive at all. Most crayfish are dead at a pH of 5. You can see how bad this is for the environment.

Save the Planet Icon_mini_earth On average, a person in the US uses energy two times more than a person in Japan or West Germany does, and 50 times more than a person in India.

Save the Planet Icon_mini_earth Since there is little oxygen underground, where we bury our garbage, to help bacteria eat the garbage, almost nothing happens to it. Scientists have dug into landfills and found ears of corn still intact after 20 years, and newspapers still readable after 30.

THINGS WE CAN DO TO HELP

Save the Planet Sbc-guide-icons-recycle Turn off other electric things, like TVs, stereos, and radios when not in use.

Save the Planet Sbc-guide-icons-recycle In winter, wear a sweater instead of turning up your thermostat.
Insulate your home so you won't be cold in winter.

Save the Planet Sbc-guide-icons-recycle Use recycled paper and/or recycle it. Reuse old papers.

Save the Planet Sbc-guide-icons-recycle Plant trees, especially if you have cut one down.

Save the Planet Sbc-guide-icons-recycle Cut up your six-pack rings before throwing them out.

Save the Planet Sbc-guide-icons-recycle REDUCE, REUSE, & RECYCLE.

Save the Planet Horses10
Back to top Go down
RoseRed
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler
RoseRed

Number of posts : 372

Save the Planet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Save the Planet   Save the Planet EmptyMon Jun 18, 2007 6:28 pm

Another great way to help AND get healthier...is to walk everywhere (if the weather agrees of course) that you can instead of driving!

If you must drive, carpool as often as possible :)

You remain responsible.. Forever...
For what you have tamed.
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Save the Planet Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428

Save the Planet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Save the Planet   Save the Planet EmptyMon Jun 18, 2007 7:38 pm

Thanks, Carol! Those are great reminders!
Back to top Go down

Save the Planet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Save the Planet   Save the Planet EmptyMon Jun 18, 2007 8:21 pm

Yes they are. Thanks for posting them.happy1
Back to top Go down

Save the Planet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Save the Planet   Save the Planet EmptyTue Jun 19, 2007 3:11 am

Those definatly are great reminders, thank you Carol.
What I was wondering about: Where did you get them and how old are they? Because why does it say:

[quote="Carol"]
Save the Planet Icon_mini_earth On average, a person in the US uses energy two times more than a person in Japan or West Germany does, and 50 times more than a person in India.

I mean: We don't talk about east and west germany anymore since almost twnety years by now... Just wondering if the text is this old or if somebody just didn't think of it...

I am a bit sensitive on this topic b/c I think it's so important to see Germany as one country by now!
Back to top Go down
flatbroke
Man of Constant Sorrow
Man of Constant Sorrow
flatbroke

Number of posts : 2648
Mood : Save the Planet Party010

Save the Planet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Save the Planet   Save the Planet EmptyTue Jun 19, 2007 8:11 am

[quote="Annika"]Those definatly are great reminders, thank you Carol.
What I was wondering about: Where did you get them and how old are they? Because why does it say:

Carol wrote:

I mean: We don't talk about east and west germany anymore since almost twnety years by now... Just wondering if the text is this old or if somebody just didn't think of it...

I am a bit sensitive on this topic b/c I think it's so important to see Germany as one country by now!

I'd say it was just copy/pasted, and the data wasn't updated. Everyone knows Germany is one country now, but you still see references to east and west in some older articles.

I try to do my part, although for selfish reasons many times. I burn the energy saving bulbs in the entire home, and recycle my aluminum, plastic, tin and newspaper. I also only use the a/c during the heat of the day, and only in rooms I occupy. These all save me money on utility and disposal bills.
As for gas, I just can't afford to go anywhere, so it's a non-issue. The wife drives to work and back, and we go to the store once a week, and that's about it.
Back to top Go down
rana
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
rana

Number of posts : 119

Save the Planet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Save the Planet   Save the Planet EmptyTue Jun 19, 2007 2:10 pm

I think I could fix this Western Germany problem. Though I still don't know what the error was in Carol's source - using old data or just some kind of "misspelling" the country's name - the fact is still up to date.
I found several sources (among others the IAE) which state the present energy consumption per capita in the USA as twice as high than in Germany.
I have to admit that I was too lazy to check the India-data as well.

But I don't think that the energy consumption per person this is such a good argument at all, because it doesn't take into account the industrial development and living standards of a country. It's easy to have a low consumption of energy when nearly 60 % of the people don't have any access on electricity and live like in pre-industrial times like it is in many of the poor and threshold countries. I doubt that this are desirable conditions.

So even if I understand what the messege is, I think this often used comparison of energy consumtions is flawed. Beside this it says nothing about the used energy sources and the emission of hazardous substances.

Save the Planet Ranake10
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Save the Planet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Save the Planet   Save the Planet EmptyTue Jun 19, 2007 2:20 pm

I copied some of the things from this page:

We've Got to Save our Planet Earth

Save the Planet Horses10
Back to top Go down
flatbroke
Man of Constant Sorrow
Man of Constant Sorrow
flatbroke

Save the Planet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Save the Planet   Save the Planet EmptyTue Jun 19, 2007 3:07 pm

rana wrote:
But I don't think that the energy consumption per person this is such a good argument at all, because it doesn't take into account the industrial development and living standards of a country. It's easy to have a low consumption of energy when nearly 60 % of the people don't have any access on electricity and live like in pre-industrial times like it is in many of the poor and threshold countries. I doubt that this are desirable conditions.

So even if I understand what the messege is, I think this often used comparison of energy consumtions is flawed. Beside this it says nothing about the used energy sources and the emission of hazardous substances.

This is a very good point Rana. This discussion has been going on at another site I go to, and nobody has even thought to bring this up.
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Save the Planet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Save the Planet   Save the Planet EmptyTue Jun 19, 2007 3:41 pm

That IS a very good point Rana. America is a very industrialised country so of course it's going to use more energy, electricity than a 3rd world country.
But that is the reason why we in America should be careful and we should be concious of the energy we use. I can compare two countries as I used to live in El Salvador and then came here at 7 years old and it was a huge difference in the aspect that now that I think back. A middle class family here in America can use a lot of energy when it's not really necessary.

I went from having 1 TV to three TVs and a VCR. Went from having one car in the house to three in the house. We had the AC, in El Salvador we had fans... now this is back in the 80s... so now you could consider all the video games that kids like to play until the early twilight (some of them :P) and a lot of teenagers have cars here, it's so easy to buy electronic things in America versus other countries....

That is why they make the comparison... all the people in other countries are living okay without using so much energy. Of course there are people who are deprived and do not live in good conditions, but I'm talking about middle class families in other countries that don't use so much energy but still live okay. Part of that may be that they don't have access to all the things we do here in America... but they still survive.

Save the Planet Horses10
Back to top Go down
flatbroke
Man of Constant Sorrow
Man of Constant Sorrow
flatbroke

Save the Planet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Save the Planet   Save the Planet EmptyTue Jun 19, 2007 3:54 pm

Carol wrote:
That IS a very good point Rana. America is a very industrialised country so of course it's going to use more energy, electricity than a 3rd world country.
But that is the reason why we in America should be careful and we should be concious of the energy we use. I can compare two countries as I used to live in El Salvador and then came here at 7 years old and it was a huge difference in the aspect that now that I think back. A middle class family here in America can use a lot of energy when it's not really necessary.

I went from having 1 TV to three TVs and a VCR. Went from having one car in the house to three in the house. We had the AC, in El Salvador we had fans... now this is back in the 80s... so now you could consider all the video games that kids like to play until the early twilight (some of them :P) and a lot of teenagers have cars here, it's so easy to buy electronic things in America versus other countries....

That is why they make the comparison... all the people in other countries are living okay without using so much energy. Of course there are people who are deprived and do not live in good conditions, but I'm talking about middle class families in other countries that don't use so much energy but still live okay. Part of that may be that they don't have access to all the things we do here in America... but they still survive.

Oh, I agree with the premise, it's the statistics that I question.
There's no doubt the US uses way more energy than is necessary, considering how easy it is to save (not to mention the money you save, something that poorer Americans like me can seize upon).

Take right now for instance. It's a cooler day, so instead of running a/c, I have the screen door open. The refrigerator and freezer is running of course, but other than that, this pc and the aquarium pumps are all that's on.
You can call your electric or gas company, and usually they can tell you your average bill per month for the past year or two. The person who lived here this time last year paid $140 for May's electric bill. Mine was $80. That's over a 45% decrease.
As for recycling, I average about 3 mid-sized bags of trash a week. Everything else is recycled (luckily, my town has pickup that comes around and collects it just like they do the trash).
Saving energy isn't that hard, and you don't even have to do without much if you plan it right.
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21172
Mood : Save the Planet Purple2

Save the Planet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Save the Planet   Save the Planet EmptyTue Jun 19, 2007 4:22 pm

I have heard that anything in your house that has the little 'eyes' (those little LED lights you see on things) left on can drain energy too....Like the satellite dish, the video player, the cable box and such. They say to plug your things into a surge protector and when you go to bed at night, turn the power off at the protector and everything will be shut off. I always turn off my computer and have to fight for the kids to do the same thing........you wouldn't imagine the heat from those things..............OhMy

Save the Planet Rhonda10Save the Planet Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Save the Planet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Save the Planet   Save the Planet EmptyTue Jun 19, 2007 4:28 pm

I agree Larry.
My neighbors use the AC a LOT.... starting at 5pm, that AC unit starts going on and off until the morning... their electric bill is almost $200 a month...

Ours is around $55. We, (and my neighbor as well) have double paned windows that keep out the heat (and in the winter, keep out the cold) We only put the A.C. on around 7pm... it's programmed to come on when the house is at a certain temperature. We also installed dimmer switches ... so when we turn on a light... we only adjust it to the sufficient light we need.
Another thing that helps is that when we dry clothes... we put them in a cloth line and after a little while, put them in the dryer which only takes about 10 minutes to dry the clothes and make them soft.

:sillySmiley:

Save the Planet Horses10
Back to top Go down
RoseRed
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler
RoseRed

Number of posts : 372

Save the Planet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Save the Planet   Save the Planet EmptyTue Jun 19, 2007 4:30 pm

We use solar powered lights in the evening.

Yes, I am a hippy.

You remain responsible.. Forever...
For what you have tamed.
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Save the Planet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Save the Planet   Save the Planet Empty

Back to top Go down

Save the Planet
Page 1 of 1