Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Breads and Muffins

Go down 
+4
Rhonda
Alice
JW
Savannah
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Breads and Muffins Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428
Mood : Breads and Muffins Happy010

Breads and Muffins Empty
PostSubject: Breads and Muffins   Breads and Muffins EmptyWed Jun 25, 2008 12:52 pm

I'm bumping this delicious thread with a "new-to-me" recipe.  grinsmiley  I just tried these this week, and oh my they're GOOD! They have a simple, homey taste, and are perfect with a cup of coffee, tea or milk. Mmmmmmmmmmm!

Donut Muffins

• 1/3 cup shortening

• 1/2 cup sugar

• 1 medium egg

• 1-1/2 cups flour

• 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder

• 1/2 teaspoon salt

• 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

• 1/2 to 3/4 cup milk

For The Topping:

• 1/2 cup sugar

• 1 teaspoon cinnamon

• 1/4 cup melted margarine

In a mixing bowl mash together the shortening and sugar. Add the egg and whisk it all up until it is smooth. Make sure you use shortening, Not Margarine. The shortening gives this recipe it's special texture. Measure the flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg into the bowl. Pour in the milk. Mix the batter with a whisk until it is smooth. Drop the mixture into 12 oiled muffin cups. Make sure not to over fill the muffin cups, 1/2 to 2/3 full is full enough. Bake the muffins at 350° for 25 minutes, or until the muffins are brown on top. Remove them from the oven and allow them to cool slightly.
Mix the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside.
Take the muffins out of the pan. When they are cool enough to handle, dip the tops of the muffins into the melted margarine. Then dip them into the sugar/cinnamon mixture. Arrange the prepared muffins on a large plate and serve while still warm. Makes a dozen.
Back to top Go down
JW
Isaiah Edwards
Isaiah Edwards
JW

Number of posts : 9016
Mood : Breads and Muffins Happy011

Breads and Muffins Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breads and Muffins   Breads and Muffins EmptyWed Jun 25, 2008 2:31 pm

It sounds very good i'll try it this week yet today i want to bake Chewy Choclate Cookies i found a recipe on the back of a Chocolate chip Pack

Breads and Muffins Jacobk10Breads and Muffins Jacob210
Back to top Go down

Breads and Muffins Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breads and Muffins   Breads and Muffins EmptyWed Jun 25, 2008 9:39 pm

Now them sound so goooood Savannah. I'll have to make some this weekend.
Back to top Go down
JW
Isaiah Edwards
Isaiah Edwards
JW

Breads and Muffins Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breads and Muffins   Breads and Muffins EmptyWed Jun 25, 2008 9:41 pm

I was finish with the cookies early so i made the Muffins yet too they are VERY good you gotta try em

Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

Breads and Muffins Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breads and Muffins   Breads and Muffins EmptyWed Jan 28, 2009 2:02 pm

(Hey, how'd I miss the corn dog recipe?? I'm going to try that one sometime!)

I had promised Alice that I'd post a recipe for English muffins, then forgot. Thanks for the reminder, Jacob!

English Muffins

Ingredients:

1 cup milk
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)

1/4 cup melted shortening
6 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
Directions:

1.Warm the milk in a small saucepan until it bubbles, then remove from heat. Mix in the sugar, stirring until dissolved. Let cool until lukewarm. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
2.In a large bowl, combine the milk, yeast mixture, shortening and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Add salt and rest of flour, or enough to make a soft dough. Knead. Place in greased bowl, cover, and let rise.
3.Punch down. Roll out to about 1/2 inch thick. Cut rounds with biscuit cutter, drinking glass, or empty tuna can. Sprinkle waxed paper with cornmeal and set the rounds on this to rise. Dust tops of muffins with cornmeal also. Cover and let rise 1/2 hour.
4.Heat greased griddle. Cook muffins on griddle about 10 minutes on each side on medium heat. Keep baked muffins in a warm oven until all have been cooked. Allow to cool and place in plastic bags for storage. To use, split and toast.
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

Breads and Muffins Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breads and Muffins   Breads and Muffins EmptyWed Jan 28, 2009 2:25 pm

Here's another idea.....English Muffin bread. I haven't tried it yet, but it sounded good to me! This recipe makes two loaves.

ENGLISH MUFFIN BREAD

Ingredients:

2 cups milk
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons cornmeal
6 cups bread flour
2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
1 tablespoon white sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
Directions:

1.Warm the milk and water in a small saucepan until very warm (125 degrees F/50 degrees C). Lightly grease two 8x4 inch loaf pans; sprinkle cornmeal inside pans.
2.In a large bowl, mix together 3 cups flour, yeast, sugar, salt and soda. Stir milk into the flour mixture; beat well. Stir in the remaining flour, 1 cup at a time, until a stiff batter is formed. Spoon batter into prepared pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place for until nearly doubled in size, about 45 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
3.Bake in preheated oven until golden brown, about 25 minutes. Remove from pans immediately and cool.
Back to top Go down
JW
Isaiah Edwards
Isaiah Edwards
JW

Breads and Muffins Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breads and Muffins   Breads and Muffins EmptyWed Jan 28, 2009 3:27 pm

Sounds Wonderful Savannah Thanks for Posting i want to try them yet
I Might post a couple of Recipes cause i am Organnizing all of our recipes so i am going through all of them and typing them up so once i have type them all up then i want to print them out and put them in Page Protecters and then in to a binder

Back to top Go down
Alice
On The African Savanna
On The African Savanna
Alice

Number of posts : 10766

Breads and Muffins Empty
PostSubject: Breads and Muffins   Breads and Muffins EmptyThu Jan 29, 2009 9:50 pm

Thanks for posting the English muffin recipe, Savannah. I'm going to give it a try grinsmiley

Spring is finally here, the lovely pink blooms on the "spray" tree outside my window are gone leaving a beautiful willow.
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21172
Mood : Breads and Muffins Purple2

Breads and Muffins Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breads and Muffins   Breads and Muffins EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 12:08 am

Breads and Muffins 2

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Muffins

Ingredients:

2 1/4 Cups All-Purpose Flour
2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
2/3 Cup Brown Sugar
6 Tablespoons Butter, melted and cooled
1/2 Cup Chunky Peanut Butter (you can use smooth, that's fine)
2 Eggs
1 Cup Milk
3/4 Cup Mini Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips

Directions:

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and brown sugar. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the butter, peanut butter, eggs, and milk until smooth. (if the peanut butter is in clumps within the liquid that is fine, it will all work out in the end) Pour liquid mixture into flour mixture and mix until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips. In a paper lined muffin tin, scoop 3 tablespoon size scoops into each muffin cup (I used my cookie scoop). Bake in a pre-heated 375 degree oven for 17-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Breads and Muffins Rhonda10Breads and Muffins Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136
Mood : Breads and Muffins Bokmal10

Breads and Muffins Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breads and Muffins   Breads and Muffins EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 12:11 am

Great recipe! I've recently tried the Hummingbird Cake and it turned out just great!...So, I'll make those ones too. grinsmiley

Vanesa.

Breads and Muffins Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
Lori
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Lori

Number of posts : 6032

Breads and Muffins Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breads and Muffins   Breads and Muffins EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 11:15 am

Those look really good, Jacob!

Here's my favorite pumpkin muffin recipe.

Autumn Pumpkin Muffins

3 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground cloves
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups canned pumpkin
1 cup canola oil
3 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup raisins

Orange Glaze:
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp. grated orange peel
6 tsp. orange juice
Additional chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350. Spray 18 muffin tin openings with no-stick cooking spray. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in medium bowl. Set aside. In bowl of an electric mixer, combine pumpkin, oil, sugar, and eggs then mix until well blended. Add set-aside dry ingredients and mix well. By hand stir in walnuts and raisins. Pour batter evenly into prepared muffin tin. Bake 20-23 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 15 min. before removing from pan to cool completely.
For orange glaze: Combine powdered sugar, orange peel, and orange juice in small bowl. Stir with spoon to blend. Spoon glaze over top of cooled muffins, letting excess glaze run down sides. Sprinkle with additional nuts before glaze hardens.

Breads and Muffins Lorike10
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : Breads and Muffins Love-s10

Breads and Muffins Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breads and Muffins   Breads and Muffins EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 11:31 am

Rhonda!! Now I don't know whether to try your peanut butter muffin recipe or Lisa's!! scratchead Guess I'll just have to try both. Wink

Oh Jacob, those brownies look divine!! Love I have never ventured out of a box mix when it comes to brownies. These look worth trying! Thumbsup

Lori, I've been looking for something like this to make for Thanksgiving!! Thank you!! Applause This looks like a fantastic recipe. Thumbsup

My son is coming home from college next week (can't wait!!) and I plan on doing lots of baking----might just have to make all three of these recipes! eat
Back to top Go down
JW
Isaiah Edwards
Isaiah Edwards
JW

Breads and Muffins Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breads and Muffins   Breads and Muffins EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 5:16 pm

Let me know how the Brownies turn out if you try them Amy :) You don't know how much you are missing if you have never made Brownies from scratch they are so much better then out of the box, If you like these i'll share another recipe thats even better then these in my Opinion Smile

Back to top Go down
jessicamarie
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
jessicamarie

Number of posts : 142
Mood : Breads and Muffins Bokmal10

Breads and Muffins Empty
PostSubject: Breads and Muffins   Breads and Muffins EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 6:07 pm

Blueberry Muffins!

1/2 cup butter
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 pint blueberries, rinsed and patted dry
1 teaspoon sugar for blueberries
1 teaspoon cinnamon for blueberries

Place rack in center of oven and preheat to 375 degrees F. Line a 12-mold regular size muffin pan with paper muffins cups.

Using a hand mixer, cream butter, sugar, and salt until soft. Add eggs, and mix until light and fluffy. Mix the flour and baking powder together, and stir into the batter, alternating with the milk. Stir in the vanilla. Mix until just incorporated.

This is my mom's tip, and it works beautifully: In a small bowl, sprinkle blueberries with 1 teaspoon each sugar and cinnamon. Gently toss until well coated. Fold into the batter. Spoon batter into the 12 muffin cups.

Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the tops are light gold and a cake tester inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Transfer the pan to a rack to cool for 5 minutes before removing each muffin and placing on a wire rack to cool.

You might also like these sweet blueberry treats:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Breads and Muffins Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breads and Muffins   Breads and Muffins Empty

Back to top Go down

Breads and Muffins
Page 1 of 1