Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

"The Eagle has landed'

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62609
Mood : "The Eagle has landed' Goodsi10

"The Eagle has landed' Empty
PostSubject: "The Eagle has landed'   "The Eagle has landed' EmptySun Jul 20, 2014 6:49 am

It was 45 years ago today that Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin became the first men on the moon.  Here's the landing as it happened...

First Men on the Moon
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
"The Eagle has landed' Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54425
Mood : "The Eagle has landed' Happy010

PostSubject: Re: "The Eagle has landed'   "The Eagle has landed' EmptySun Jul 20, 2014 6:56 am

I LOVE this! I watched it breathlessly, even though I already KNEW that they were going to successfully land. What an amazing moment in history!
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21164
Mood : "The Eagle has landed' Purple2

PostSubject: Re: "The Eagle has landed'   "The Eagle has landed' EmptySun Jul 20, 2014 7:33 am

I remember this SO well.....we had just come home from a camping trip in the mountains (When I was living in California) and my Daddy and I were in the backyard setting up the tent to clean out better in order to store away....my brother hollered out the door, "They're 'bout to land!" and we dropped everything and went inside to watch!  Thumbsup 

"The Eagle has landed' Rhonda10"The Eagle has landed' Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: "The Eagle has landed'   "The Eagle has landed' EmptySun Jul 20, 2014 10:53 am

Do you remember the first step?

Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: "The Eagle has landed'   "The Eagle has landed' EmptySun Jul 20, 2014 11:05 am

Apollo 11 was a rousing success, but it was by no means a sure thing.  Buzz Aldrin himself said he figured he only had about a 60% chance of coming back alive. There is, in the National Archives, a speech that President Nixon was prepared to give in the event that our astronauts were stranded on the moon:

Fate has ordained that the men who went to the moon to explore in peace will stay on the moon to rest in peace.

These brave men, Neil Armstrong and Edwin Aldrin, know that there is no hope for their recovery. But they also know that there is hope for mankind in their sacrifice. These two men are laying down their lives in mankind’s most noble goal: the search for truth and understanding.

They will be mourned by their families and friends; they will be mourned by their nation; they will be mourned by the people of the world; they will be mourned by a Mother Earth that dared send two of her sons into the unknown.

In their exploration, they stirred the people of the world to feel as one: in their sacrifice, they bind more tightly the brotherhood of man.

In ancient days, men looked at stars and saw their heroes in the constellations. In modern times, we do much the same, but our heroes are epic men of flesh and blood.

Others will follow, and surely find their way home. Man’s search will not be denied. But these men were the first, and they will remain the foremost in our hearts.

For every human being who looks up at the moon in the nights to come will know that there is some corner of another world that is forever mankind.
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

PostSubject: Re: "The Eagle has landed'   "The Eagle has landed' EmptySun Jul 20, 2014 8:12 pm

Rob wrote:
Do you remember the first step?

Yes, I'm old......  batEyes 

Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45732
Mood : "The Eagle has landed' Headac10

PostSubject: Re: "The Eagle has landed'   "The Eagle has landed' EmptySun Jul 20, 2014 8:36 pm

This must have been before i was born. Can't say i remember this. Laughing 

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: "The Eagle has landed'   "The Eagle has landed' EmptySun Jul 20, 2014 8:39 pm

Yup, July 20, 1969! Rhonda, Dave and I might be the only ones here who remember it.  greenS 
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45732
Mood : "The Eagle has landed' Headac10

PostSubject: Re: "The Eagle has landed'   "The Eagle has landed' EmptySun Jul 20, 2014 8:56 pm

Yup! Wasn't alive yet. My parents would remember this. LOL. Oh yeah cool! Smile 

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
Kristina
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Kristina

Number of posts : 7855
Mood : "The Eagle has landed' Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: "The Eagle has landed'   "The Eagle has landed' EmptyMon Jul 21, 2014 1:45 pm

I wasn't born yet either, but I've learned about the event in school and heard about it in other places too. It's neat to think how many advancements have been for astronomy and visiting space since this! I recently read an article about a space telescope being designed that will be able to travel farther out then the Hubble Telescope.
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: "The Eagle has landed'   "The Eagle has landed' EmptyThu Aug 07, 2014 8:35 am

I found this among some of my childhood belongings this morning.  Yes, yes, I misspelled "Neil."  HeeHee 

"The Eagle has landed' MoonNote_zpscbd0ae31
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: "The Eagle has landed'   "The Eagle has landed' EmptyThu Aug 07, 2014 7:09 pm

That's just so cool! I love it that you found a piece of your own history connected with such a monumental event. Oh - and don't worry about misspelling Neil. batEyes At least you spelled "depressurizing" correctly.  grinsmiley 
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

PostSubject: Re: "The Eagle has landed'   "The Eagle has landed' EmptyThu Aug 07, 2014 7:12 pm

Now, wouldn't that be something.....Our own "Back to the Future" right here on the prairie....Can you just see Fife going back and Fifing himself??  laugh3 

Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: "The Eagle has landed'   "The Eagle has landed' EmptyThu Aug 07, 2014 7:15 pm

He already told me that I'm not allowed to gomer him for that misspelling. HeeHee The statute of limitations (and the fact that I wasn't born yet), don'tcha know.  Laughing 
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: "The Eagle has landed'   "The Eagle has landed' EmptyThu Aug 07, 2014 7:25 pm

greenS  Like I told Lisa... sure, I could spell "depressurizing," but I couldn't spell "Neil."  Laughing 
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: "The Eagle has landed'   "The Eagle has landed' EmptyThu Aug 07, 2014 8:11 pm

Ha!  I somehow managed to forget that you'd mentioned this fact up above, Lisa.  Ooops I guess anyone old enough to remember the moon landing is bound to be subject to memory lapses.  Whistle 
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

PostSubject: Re: "The Eagle has landed'   "The Eagle has landed' EmptyThu Aug 07, 2014 8:22 pm

Watch it!  Yikes 

Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: "The Eagle has landed'   "The Eagle has landed' EmptyThu Aug 07, 2014 8:24 pm

I didn't mean YOU, Betty. Er, Rhoda. Er, Rhonda.  Wink 
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: "The Eagle has landed'   "The Eagle has landed' EmptyThu Aug 07, 2014 8:38 pm

HeeHee  I did wonder.
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: "The Eagle has landed'   "The Eagle has landed' EmptyThu Aug 07, 2014 8:54 pm

I read your post - looked right at it - and then posted the same thing. *sigh* Oh boy oh boy.  Smile 
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: "The Eagle has landed'   "The Eagle has landed' EmptyThu Aug 07, 2014 9:34 pm

Smile 
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: "The Eagle has landed'   "The Eagle has landed' EmptyFri Aug 08, 2014 7:03 am

You know what they say... imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.  batEyes 
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

PostSubject: Re: "The Eagle has landed'   "The Eagle has landed' EmptyFri Aug 08, 2014 11:00 am

When you get our age....."Imitation is the sincerest form of getting old!"  batEyes 

Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Savannah

PostSubject: Re: "The Eagle has landed'   "The Eagle has landed' EmptyFri Aug 08, 2014 7:20 pm

Rob wrote:
You know what they say... imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.  batEyes 

HeeHee You just think you're so cute. There was a reason for that edit.  Laughing 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "The Eagle has landed'   "The Eagle has landed' Empty

Back to top Go down

"The Eagle has landed'
Page 1 of 1