Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

I Remember Laura

Go down 
+4
emilyanneoftheprairie
HarrisonCrosby4387
bethandmanly
LHFanForever
8 posters
AuthorMessage
LHFanForever
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
LHFanForever

Number of posts : 52

Laura - I Remember Laura Empty
PostSubject: I Remember Laura   Laura - I Remember Laura EmptySat Sep 01, 2007 10:09 am

Last night I was at a half-priced book store and was looking around and saw a book called I Remember Laura! I had never heard of this book before and really didn't want to buy anything but I knew I had to get it! It was only $8 anyway. So has anyone read this book before I skimmed through it a little last night but haven't really began to read it yet.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600
Mood : Laura - I Remember Laura Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: I Remember Laura   Laura - I Remember Laura EmptySat Sep 01, 2007 4:24 pm

I have this book and I loved reading it. I haven't read it in a long time, but it talks about people who knew Laura and how they remembered her.

Let me know what you think of it when you finally get a chance to read it.

Cheryl

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
HarrisonCrosby4387
THE #1 Survivor fan
THE #1 Survivor fan
HarrisonCrosby4387

Number of posts : 4828
Mood : Laura - I Remember Laura Happy011

PostSubject: Re: I Remember Laura   Laura - I Remember Laura EmptySat Sep 01, 2007 5:23 pm

Aww, that's so cool. I never knew they had a book like that.

Beckie

LETS GO PENS!
Back to top Go down
emilyanneoftheprairie
Sid's Girl
Sid's Girl

Number of posts : 3538
Mood : Laura - I Remember Laura Happy010

PostSubject: Re: I Remember Laura   Laura - I Remember Laura EmptySun Sep 02, 2007 7:14 pm

thats kool i didn't know they had one like that! it should be really kool!

Laura - I Remember Laura Ifyou
I want to be the best, so whatever comes with that, I’ll have to accept. ~Sidney Crosby
Laura - I Remember Laura Cute-2
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136

PostSubject: Re: I Remember Laura   Laura - I Remember Laura EmptyMon Sep 03, 2007 11:35 pm

Yes. I've heard about this book. It's in all Laura's books catalogues. I've not read this one ,tough. But I know it is very good.

Vanesa.

Laura - I Remember Laura Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
LHFanForever
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
LHFanForever

PostSubject: Re: I Remember Laura   Laura - I Remember Laura EmptyWed Sep 05, 2007 4:46 pm

Hey Cheryl I finished it on Monday and thought it was great. Sometimes I really forget that a Laura different from the books and TV shows actually lived. She was a real person which is a hard concept for me to get! This book helped and I liked the way that other people recalled her. Though I didn't get why a lot of the times they had trouble remembering! I was like this was Laura Ingalls why don't you remember. But I guess they didn't know really how famous she would really be. I got the Rose biography The Ghost in the Little House last night, well thats no light reading LOL. At least for me! So far it seems a little negative towards Laura I think but then again I'm not that far into it yet at all! Did you read this book? If so let me know.
Katie

Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: I Remember Laura   Laura - I Remember Laura EmptyWed Sep 05, 2007 6:53 pm

I think that's the most amazing part of Little House for me--Laura Ingalls Wilder was a flesh and blood person who experienced the things she wrote about. Laura lived during an amazing time in American history--the West was tamed, the pioneering lifestyle came to an end, and technology started to advance in leaps and bounds.

As for why some people didn't recall her well, I think you've hit the nail on the head. I can't remember half the people who lived next door to me growing up, and if my next door neighbor becomes famous 30 years from now I might not remember everything about her either.

The Ghost in the Little House is a very hard read. Not only because of its length, but because the aim of the author, William Holtz, is to prove that Rose co-authored the LH series. I have read this title and did an extensive, multi-post review of it on my blog. I enjoyed learning more about Rose Wilder Lane, but not at the expense of her mother's reputation.

After reading Ghost, I borrowed Free Land and Let the Hurricane Roar from the library to see if there were any similarities in the writing. I have come to no real conclusions about Holtz's claim that Rose should be credited as co-author of Laura's books.

I've also read, Laura Ingalls Wilder's Town, Where History and Literature Meet by John Miller. He refutes Holtz's claims that Rose is the co-author of the LH series.

I believe it is always best to hear both sides of things before making a decision. However, like I mentioned, I am still undecided about Rose. I haven't seen enough evidence to make me believe that she was anything more than a good editor for her mother's books and that Rose's connections helped Laura get her books published.

Cheryl

Back to top Go down
LHFanForever
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
LHFanForever

PostSubject: Re: I Remember Laura   Laura - I Remember Laura EmptyWed Sep 05, 2007 8:24 pm

I've read let Let the Hurricane Roar though the version I got was called Young Pioneers which is just a different name I have yet to read Free Land though now I want to! At least in Let the Hurricane Roar to me it just was totally different than the Little House books. Yeah it was the same story and everything but Laura's books just have a certain style of writing that it didn't. Next time I go to the Library I'm going to get Free Land.

Back to top Go down
Prairie Wind
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
Prairie Wind

Number of posts : 1369

PostSubject: Re: I Remember Laura   Laura - I Remember Laura EmptyFri Sep 07, 2007 6:17 am

bethandmanly wrote:

I've also read, Laura Ingalls Wilder's Town, Where History and Literature Meet by John Miller. He refutes Holtz's claims that Rose is the co-author of the LH series.

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl! Wave
I'm glad to hear that this book is out to defend Laura.
I haven't read the Ghost one because just thinking about it irritates me! Huh?
It stands to reason that Rose would have helped
Laura and given her tips but Laura did have some experience writing and she was an extremely honest person.
I don't think she would have stood for pretending
that she was the only author if she wasn't!

~Holly~
Back to top Go down
http://toknowhimmore.blogspot.com/
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

Number of posts : 5920
Mood : Laura - I Remember Laura Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: I Remember Laura   Laura - I Remember Laura EmptyFri Dec 21, 2007 11:09 am

I also have I Remember Laura. Your lucky you found it at such a great price. I think I paid $20 in 1990. It was like finding treasure, because I had never even heard of it . It was nice to "see" Laura as an older woman, and part of a community that loved her.
This book gave us some insight in her life with Almonzo living on Rocky Ridge. She truly bloomed wherever she was planted.
I would love to read The Ghost in the Little House....but something tells me I wont like it. I know Rose had strong influence in getting Laura's books published, but Laura was the one that knew how to write about what she had experienced. I believe that in all fairness to Laura's family and the children she was writing them for, she probably knew they needed to be told with an honest heart. Rose got talent from Laura not the other way around. In all fairness though to Rose, my hat comes off to her for making sure Laura told her stories. Thank goodness for that.
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: I Remember Laura   Laura - I Remember Laura EmptyFri Dec 21, 2007 12:54 pm

Gin,

I think Ghost is hard for anyone who loves and respects Laura and Almanzo to read. It paints them as awful parents that poor Rose had to deal with. And it speaks often of how torn Rose was in trying to live the life she desired, but feeling the obligation to care for her parents. If Holtz's aim was to prove that Rose co-authored the Little House series, then he could have done that without painting the Wilders the way he did.

The parts I enjoyed most were chapters were I learned about Rose's travels and her writing career, because even though she wasn't satisfied in writing articles and wanted more out of her career, the things she accomplished were great for a woman of that era.

Cheryl

Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

Number of posts : 5920
Mood : Laura - I Remember Laura Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: I Remember Laura   Laura - I Remember Laura EmptyFri Dec 21, 2007 6:36 pm

I agree Cheryl, Rose really did do wonderful things for that time period. I think she felt bad when she left her parents for extended trips as they aged. But I am glad she tried to care for them.
I cant help but wish Baby Wilder had lived. Things might have been different with two children in the family. Boys tend to be closer to their Ma's ya know.
I will read "Ghost" sometime....just because its about Laura. How could I not and say I'm a fan? LOL
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Laura - I Remember Laura Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428
Mood : Laura - I Remember Laura Happy010

PostSubject: Re: I Remember Laura   Laura - I Remember Laura EmptyFri Dec 21, 2007 7:13 pm

LHFanForever wrote:
I got the Rose biography The Ghost in the Little House last night........So far it seems a little negative towards Laura

Did you read this book? If so let me know.
Katie

A little negative?? Huh? You could say that! batEyes It portrayed her as pretty much an awful Mother......controlling, bitter, dishonest......It was difficult to even read. It felt like a very one-sided, uneven picture of only half the story.

I have some of Rose's writings, and of course the Little House books, and really see quite a difference in the two styles. But even beyond the difference in the styles, I can't see Laura, as a Mother, stealing from her daughter in such a manner. Laura, who, as a teen, felt deeply guilty for having seen her Christmas gift, doesn't seem like the type of person who would/could openly steal the credit for the authorship of the Little House books. Going on tours, giving lectures and interviews, accepting honor, and of course the monetary benefits as well......accepting all of the accolades that "should" have gone to her daughter? .......It just doesn't seem to balance with who Laura was.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I Remember Laura   Laura - I Remember Laura Empty

Back to top Go down

I Remember Laura
Page 1 of 1