Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia)

Go down 
+25
Honeybee
Krissy
Lori
littlehouselover
Shell
Davetucson
Savannah
easyt72000
tresiemay
Gin
Rob
HarrisonCrosby4387
alexczarn
Farmer Girl
Vanesa
rana
LIWnut
JW
Amy
Misti
ChristinaAL
Rhonda
bethandmanly
carolineingalls
Carol
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

lhotp - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia)   lhotp - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 08, 2007 1:10 am

Did you know... Dean Butler (Almanzo) was born in Canada??!!
Canada always produces the best hehe!
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600
Mood : lhotp - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 2 Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia)   lhotp - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 19, 2008 9:57 pm

I'm going to hijack this thread for a moment with some trivia that I would like you to answer. Kent McCray had a cameo in The Race from Season 3. This is the episode where Mrs. Oleson buys Nellie a thoroughbred to race against Laura and Bunny. Kent and Jack Lilley's wife were in a wagon and Kent was cheering Nellie on, "Go Nellie go!" Jack Lilley was one of the stunt coordinators on LHOP.

Kent also appeared in one other episode of Little House. Does anyone want to guess which one?

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600

PostSubject: Re: Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia)   lhotp - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 21, 2008 4:36 pm

And here I thought everyone like LHOP trivia. LOL!

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Farmer Girl
Li'l Miss Milk Maid
Li'l Miss Milk Maid
Farmer Girl

Number of posts : 2578
Mood : lhotp - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 2 Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia)   lhotp - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 21, 2008 4:56 pm

I watched 'Election' from season 3 last week. In the credits I saw that Leslie Landon and Micheal Landon Jr. played in it. I had to go back and see who they where! lol It funny seeing a little kid, and then knowing he's the one who made the 'Love Comes Softly' series! lol

lhotp - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 2 FGKeeper

~ Home is the nicest word there is ~

lhotp - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 2 Little
Back to top Go down
alexczarn
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

Number of posts : 22999
Mood : lhotp - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 2 Happy010

PostSubject: Trivia   lhotp - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 7:29 pm

• It should be noted that when asked which Greenbush twin did more scenes over the course of the series, it was said that Lindsay did, because Sidney had a bone cyst in her left arm, which caused her to break her arm multiple times. Because Sidney was in a cast so often, Lindsay had to do most of the acting as Carrie.

• Melissa Gilbert remembers the day in June 1974, when she had to film the closing titles at Big Sky Ranch for the show: "Actually, I was scared to death because the entire hill was covered with bees and I am allergic to them. We actually had to do it a few times because I kept running real fast just to get away. Mike finally persuaded me to slow down so I would not disturb the bees and they'd leave me alone....he was right." "One other silly footnote to the story is, at the very end of it I was imitating an airplane, with my arms out to the side, flying down the hill. After we finally got a take where I didn't race by the camera, they were thrilled that we got one in the can. Then someone realized there were no airplanes in the 1800s. It looked like we were going to have to do it again when Mike chimed in and said to me, 'Hey, Half-pint, were you being an airplane or a bird?' I said, 'A bird, now get me out of here!' And that's the story of the end credits."

• This is the episode where we see the opening credits for the first time, and part of these credits show the three Ingalls girls running down the hill as the young actresses' names are flashed across. For obvious reasons, the clip with little Carrie tripping and falling is one of the most memorable and endearing moments in these credits, and 2-year-old Sidney Greenbush refused to start running again after she fell. She just stood up and walked slowly at her own pace. Everyone was calling out to her to start running again, but she wouldn't do it, and they ended up keeping the footage just as it was.

• In a 2006 interview, Melissa Sue Anderson revealed something very interesting about the show's opening credits, where the Ingalls girls are seen running down the hill (as they were every week for the first seven seasons). The hill was actually much less verdant that it appears, and in order to make it appear more springtime like, the set decorators placed arificial flowers on wire stems all over the part of the field that would have been within camera range. All of the white daisies and other flowers that appear in the credits were fake; nothing was in bloom at the time. Furthermore, Anderson said that one of the wires supporting the flowers cut her on the leg, causing her to fall and sustain a minor whiplash. Later, a sprinkler system was installed on set, allowing those in charge to better control the environment, and thus the appearance, of Walnut Grove.

lhotp - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 2 Alexke11
Back to top Go down
HarrisonCrosby4387
THE #1 Survivor fan
THE #1 Survivor fan
HarrisonCrosby4387

Number of posts : 4828
Mood : lhotp - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 2 Happy011

PostSubject: Re: Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia)   lhotp - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 8:32 pm

Oh wow that is really cool info. I love hearing this kind of stuff about the show.

LETS GO PENS!
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62618

PostSubject: Re: Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia)   lhotp - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 8:38 pm

Very interesting stuff! Thanks, Alex.
Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

Number of posts : 5920
Mood : lhotp - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 2 Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia)   lhotp - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 10:50 pm

It's always fun to hear about all the behind the scenes stuff. I only wish there had been more pictures taken.

lhotp - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 2 Project2

It is the lack of Christianity that has  brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts.  LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136

PostSubject: Re: Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia)   lhotp - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 11:50 pm

Thanks for the info! I actually only knew the second trivia you mentioned, about Melissa Gilbert being allergic to the bees. She must have been scared to death! affraid

Vanesa.

lhotp - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 2 Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
alexczarn
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

PostSubject: Re: Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia)   lhotp - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 3:34 am

• Melissa Gilbert found out she won the role of Laura Ingalls while standing in the lunch line at school from Michael Landon's daughter Leslie. Leslie got grounded for doing it.

batEyes

Back to top Go down
tresiemay
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 7
Mood : lhotp - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 2 Xmassm2

PostSubject: Re: Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia)   lhotp - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 10:12 pm

great info thanks for putting it on Goodpost Hpumpkin gardening
Back to top Go down
tresiemay
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 7
Mood : lhotp - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 2 Xmassm2

PostSubject: Re: Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia)   lhotp - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 10:50 pm

I have a Trivia for ya--- What was the name of Rev. Alden:'s Horse???
thanks for playing its a lot of fun.
Back to top Go down
alexczarn
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

PostSubject: Re: Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia)   lhotp - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 8:35 pm

Jehoshaphat

Season 2 trivia...

• In this episode, Mary is ridiculed by her classmates when she starts wearing glasses. In real life, Melissa Sue Anderson (Mary)'s son Griffin had to get glasses as a child, although he didn't experience the teasing that his mother's character did on Little House. Still, in a 2005 interview, Anderson said that she wants Griffin to view this episode, because she wants him to understand how getting glasses can be difficult for some kids, and she hopes it will help him see why it is never okay to join in on such teasing.

• When Mr. Mumford throws his first practice pitch, it hits Mr. Edwards square in the face and knocks him down. In reality, a baseball going at that speed would have probably killed him--sadly, it has happened to other people before. Mr. Edwards, however, didn't even get so much as a measly bruise!

• Michael Landon authored the "Remember Me" poem that was read at Julia's funeral. Years later, at Landon's own funeral, Melissa Gilbert (Laura) read the poem out loud.

• This is absolutely the only Little House episode where the Oleson family is seen as dirt poor, and it is only in Laura's dreams! Also, in these dream scenes, we see the Ingalls family filthy rich, walking around Walnut Grove in gorgeous, fancy white clothing that is topped by nothing else that the family wears in the entire series, even when they've got their Sunday best on.

• Mr. Hanson tells Charles that the school board unanimously agreed to finance Mary's trip for the math competition. Mrs. Oleson was on the school board, and it's surprising that she voted "yes" for this decision, especially since she really gave the Ingalls family a hard time with most things.

• Major Goof: When Mary tells Miss Beadle she is forfeiting her spot at the math competition, and Laura is waiting for her in the back of the room, notice the girls' clothes. Mary has on a solid purple dress, and Laura is wearing a greenish, flowered calico. When they are walking home, though, Mary suddenly has on a blue pinafore over her dress. Then, when Laura runs back to the school suddenly and gets back into town, screaming Miss Beadle's name, she is wearing a white pinafore that she didn't have in the previous scene a few seconds earlier!

• This is the first episode where Laura and Mary outwardly express their jealousy for one another. In a 2005 interview, Melissa Sue Anderson (Mary) admitted that there was a little bit of rivalry between her and Melissa Gilbert on the show, but only when it came to competition over who had more to do on-screen at the given time. Laura was always the center of the series from the very beginning, and Anderson acknowledged that there was a bit of rivalry about that--but then on the other hand, as Mary grew up, went blind and became an adult, her character had more mature material to work with, whereas Melissa Gilbert's character remained childlike for a couple more years.

• This is the first time Mary expresses an emotion that is probably obvious to many viewers as they watch the show: Charles' apparent favoritism toward Laura, who is so much like him in many ways. Even though it isn't true, some fans may feel for Mary as she talks about this.

• When Nellie is tormenting Laura, Mary says to her, "You say that again, and I'll slap your face!" Laura said the exact same line to Christy Kennedy in Season 1's The Voice of Tinker Jones, when the two girls were arguing about their fathers.

• Charles' corn crop ("higher than your head") is destroyed by a tornado. It seems that he has continued to plant corn (as suggested in Season 1, "Money Crop"), rather than switch back to the wheat he first planted (such as in the episode "100 Mile Walk").

• Mary and John Jr express their romantic feelings in this episode, when the character of Mary is only 13 years old. In a 2006 interview, Melissa Sue Anderson stated that she "couldn't really get into the idea of being in love at such a young age," and that actor Ramades Pera (John, Jr.) was "more interested in making our scenes work than I was."

Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

PostSubject: Re: Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia)   lhotp - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 12:17 am

Thanks for the name of Reverend Alden's horse. I knew it, but I've totally forgot it... greenS

As for the girls rivalry, I wouldn't said there was any...What a good actress they were! I agree that Mary's character got a bit more interesting when she became blind, but sadly after a while the writers forgot her, and always gave her lines about her blindness and they rarely showed her as a "normal peson" who is blind. No Another critic I want to do is about how the writers portrayed her when an adult. Totally different from she was in real life. I'm not bothered by the fact they've made up a husband and a son for her, but I disagree with the changes they did about her character. Mary sees to be always a little upset, angry with life for she became blind...in the books, Laura depics her sister as a gentle person who never complained about her blindness, and was almost always cheering up others and trying to accept her sad life...

Vanesa.

Back to top Go down
alexczarn
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

PostSubject: Re: Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia)   lhotp - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 12:26 am

Vanesa wrote:
sadly after a while the writers forgot her, and always gave her lines about her blindness and they rarely showed her as a "normal peson" who is blind. No Another critic I want to do is about how the writers portrayed her when an adult. Totally different from she was in real life. I'm not bothered by the fact they've made up a husband and a son for her, but I disagree with the changes they did about her character. Mary sees to be always a little upset, angry with life for she became blind...in the books, Laura depics her sister as a gentle person who never complained about her blindness, and was almost always cheering up others and trying to accept her sad life...

Vanesa.

That bugs me(i haven't seen later seasons though)

Back to top Go down
alexczarn
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

PostSubject: Re: Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia)   lhotp - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 14, 2010 6:34 pm

• Alison Arngrim originally auditioned for the role of Laura Ingalls, but was not successful. She then tried out for the role of Laura's sister Mary, to the same avail. However, when auditioning for the role of "Nasty" Nellie Oleson, she was hired on the spot for playing mean so convincingly. scratchead

• Out of the many young girls who auditioned for the role of Laura Ingalls, Michael Landon was convinced immediately that 'Melissa Gilbert' was the perfect candidate. In fact, he was so certain that Gilbert's was the only screen test that he sent to the producers at NBC. yesss

• Michael Landon had a unique way of inspiring child actors to cry when required for a scene. 'Melissa Gilbert' described how he would work himself up emotionally, face her with his eyes full of tears and ask her, "Do you know how much I love you?" to which she would get all teary and emotional in response.

• Since Walnut Grove had no jail of it's own, Nels Oleson's ice house served as such for anyone awaiting trial. laugh3

• Quite possibly the first TV show where male adults (and practically everyone else) would be seen crying in all seriousness (as opposed to for comical effect etc.). Because of this trend, once the show got aired in Iceland, it quickly got nicknamed "Crying in The Cornfield" by viewers and haters alike.

• Melissa Gilbert was impressed by Michael Landon's habit of putting out cigarettes on his gloves. HeeHee

• Dean Butler remarked that the first kiss between him and 'Melissa Gilbert' (Laura) was so nerve-racking for everyone, that there were chaperones on the set to make sure nothing unseemly was going on. From the sidelines, Melissa's mother Barbara was wailing "My baby!" so much that she had to be consoled.

• In the "The Last Farewell", they really did blow up the town. Producer/star Michael Landon didn't want the bulldozers to crush the buildings. So he wrote a story which gave the inhabitants the chance to destroy their town themselves. They did not however destroy the home that the Ingalls had lived in. That was destroyed by the fires in California in late 2003.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Little House on the Prairie” star Alison Arngrim says competition between her, Melissa Gilbert and Melissa Sue was so high that she is amazed they “didn’t kill each other.”

In an appearance on FoxNews.com’s “The Strategy Room,” Arngrim said she became very close with Melissa Gilbert while working on the hit NBC show from 1974 until 1981, but the two did not bond with “prom queen type” Melissa Sue Anderson.

“Melissa Gilbert and I wound up bonding and becoming best friends like sisters and Melissa Sue became sort of the ‘frenemy,’” Arngrim said. “So we were with her all day but I guess she was like, ‘I’m not hanging out with you two. She was just sort of appalled by Melissa Gilbert and I.”

Promoting her new memoir “Confessions Of A Prairie #@!%,” Arngrim said “You have three teenage girls at the worst of the preteen years and you’re thrown into this thing and you’re in competition, we’re child stars …I’m amazed we didn’t kill each other.”

But the tension didn’t end between the teen stars; Arngrim also argued that it existed between stars Michael Landon and Katherine MacGregor.

“It was kind of wild because Michael was very much a control freak, in a good way, and then here you had this woman saying ‘I don’t want to do it that way, I think we should do this,’” she said of MacGregor. “It was kind of fun to watch the fireworks when that happened.”

laugh3 Laughing ROTFL

And something from the pilot movie-

• Melissa Gilbert fondly remembers her first day on the set of Little House, with this episode. It was filmed in California, but it had just snowed, and on top of that, there were two toddlers on the set--the girls who played Carrie--and Gilbert says "There was snow, and there were babies, so I was in absolute heaven." Gilbert also vividly remembers how when she first met Michael Landon, he was so happy, and he was just in complete command of everything. She says she always called Landon "an upside-down triangle" because he was so tall, big and muscular, while Gilbert herself was just a tiny little girl who was 10, but was actually the size of a 6-year-old, according to her.

• This is the first episode where we see baby Carrie's rag doll, which she carried around for a long time when she was really little on the show. The doll's name is Debbie, and to this day, Lindsay Greenbush still owns it and shows it to fans when she makes appearances. The doll has a missing leg now, and Lindsay likes to joke that "Nellie Oleson must have gotten a hold of it."

Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

PostSubject: Re: Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia)   lhotp - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 14, 2010 11:47 pm

Wonderful trivia, Alex! You're a mine of gold, truly! I already knew that Alison Arngrim had first auctioned for playing Mary, but I didn't know she tought in playing Laura Ingalls at first...Yes, Laura was the heroine of the series, but she wouldn't do a good Laura.

I've also read that Tracie Savage also wanted to play Laura...She was given the role of Christy Kennedy in which - I think - she was great. I wished she could remain on the show a little more time (in the books Laura and Christy Kennedy were friends until Kennedy family went away, shortly before the Ingallses themselves would travel to Burr Oak, Iowa, where they remained for a whole year). Sadly, Tracie only appears in nine LHOTP episodes... Blue

Oh...I didn't know that Michael Landon and Katherine MacGregor were sorta of rivals! scared Yikes

Vanesa.

Back to top Go down
alexczarn
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

PostSubject: Re: Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia)   lhotp - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 15, 2010 6:39 pm

Campout:

• On their camping trip, the Ingalls and Oleson families are seen traveling where there are snow-capped mountains. There are no mountains whatsoever in Minnesota.

• There are a couple of noticable lighting irregularities in this episode. First, the Olesons supposedly meet the Ingalls at 6:00 in the morning to leave for the camping trip, yet the shadows on the ground are not elongated at all. Clearly, this scene was filmed near noontime. Also, in the scene around the campfire, it's pitch black behind Ma and the girls, but when they cut to Mrs. Oleson and her children, the viewer can see daylight through the trees in the background. Though the two groups are implied to be carrying on two different conversations at once, they clearly weren't filmed simultaneously.

In the Big Inning:

• Nitpick: On the scoreboard, Laura writes a 2 on Walnut Grove's side. The shape of the 2 changes the next time they show the board.

• Goof: All the base ball (two words back then) players on the opposing team are wearing gloves when fielding. In the year depicted in this episode, only the catcher and occasionally the first baseman wore gloves. It wasn't until the late 1890s that all fielders wore them.

Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia)   lhotp - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 15, 2010 7:11 pm

Good stuff!
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

PostSubject: Re: Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia)   lhotp - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 15, 2010 11:55 pm

Hey, Alex! You could write a book about LHOTP. You know so much details about it! Smile

Yes; a thing that bothered me a lot is this odd Minnessota landscape...with mountains all around. I'ver ead that Walnut Grove people from today is not pleased with the depiction that the show does of their beloved land. Minnessota is quite a flat State with some little slopes here and there...but NO MOUNTAINS. Thereover, they have a lot of month of cold there, and most of the series shows a sunny , hot wetaher... Huh?

Vanesa.

Back to top Go down
alexczarn
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

PostSubject: Re: Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia)   lhotp - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 16, 2010 12:03 am

Vanesa wrote:
Hey, Alex! You could write a book about LHOTP. You know so much details about it! Smile

Yes; a thing that bothered me a lot is this odd Minnessota landscape...with mountains all around. I'ver ead that Walnut Grove people from today is not pleased with the depiction that the show does of their beloved land. Minnessota is quite a flat State with some little slopes here and there...but NO MOUNTAINS. Thereover, they have a lot of month of cold there, and most of the series shows a sunny , hot wetaher... Huh?

Vanesa.

Well That is what I like doing, finding out the behind-the-scenes stuff about LHOTP. Makes it more interesting!
And dad said that re Minnesota weather on LHOTP, it's either storming or sunny! greenS Never in between.
I looked in Google Earth and Minnesota is really flat.

Back to top Go down
alexczarn
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

PostSubject: Episode 21: Money Crop   lhotp - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 8:25 pm

Episode 21: Money Crop Season 1

• Ted Gehring, who portrays an honest farmer in this episode, would later go on to play Ebenezer Sprague, Walnut Grove's first cold-hearted banker.
    Ted Gehring didn't play an honest farmer, if Charles
    hadn't come along he would have kept horses that didn't belong to him.

• Actress Julie Cobb (Mrs. Coulter) is the daughter of veteran actor Lee J. Cobb, and she was married to Victor French (Mr. Edwards) from 1976 to 1978.

• While Mary is usually depicted as a very shy and reserved girl, this is an episode where she really loses her cool and dares to call a group of grown men names, telling them that God will punish them for their cruelty. For a child like Mary, especially, this is a sight to see, and it's one of the few times in the series that Mary gets in someone's face and lets them see what's behind her sweet, gentle smile(refer also to Season 2's "Troublemaker" and Season 4's "Whisper Country").

• Normally the first to be the gossip-spreading rumormonger, Mrs. Oleson is defensive about the Coulters, whom she hardly knows. She calls the men gathered on the steps of the mercantile, who are loudly complaning about Mr. Coulter, "a bunch of animals," and falls all over herself to accomodate Mrs. Coulter and the Ingalls girls when they come into the store, and she later chases the men off with a broom. Though fairly kind and even reserved in the first season, Mrs. Oleson would eventually evolve into the kind of person who would be the first to criticize people in the Coulter's position.
    Reply: While it is a good example of how the character was still developing in the first season (honestly, it is shocking how friendly she is to Mary and Laura), it should be pointed out that Mrs. Oleson did mention the affect the cursing gang of men was having on the business. This is perfectly consistent with her character, who is so often just out for her own best interest.

Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

PostSubject: Re: Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia)   lhotp - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 22, 2010 12:01 am

alexczarn wrote:
Episode 21: Money Crop Season 1

[*]Normally the first to be the gossip-spreading rumormonger, Mrs. Oleson is defensive about the Coulters, whom she hardly knows. She calls the men gathered on the steps of the mercantile, who are loudly complaning about Mr. Coulter, "a bunch of animals," and falls all over herself to accomodate Mrs. Coulter and the Ingalls girls when they come into the store, and she later chases the men off with a broom. Though fairly kind and even reserved in the first season, Mrs. Oleson would eventually evolve into the kind of person who would be the first to criticize people in the Coulter's position.
Reply: While it is a good example of how the character was still developing in the first season (honestly, it is shocking how friendly she is to Mary and Laura), it should be pointed out that Mrs. Oleson did mention the affect the cursing gang of men was having on the business. This is perfectly consistent with her character, who is so often just out for her own best interest.[/i][/list]

I think that at first, Charles wanted to show Mrs. Oleson more similar to the one from the books, who was fairly kind. I don't know exactly why Michael Landon decided to change Harriet's quite nice character in a really unbearable gossip-spreading woman. Maybe he noticed that Katherine MacGregor had a great potential of a comedian in her, and could add some salt to the show portraying her as the adult version of her daughter Nellie. She should be totally different from Caroline Ingalls.

However, Harriet is never shown as really bad; she was only a little snobbish and this attitude made her to act unjustly time to time. In the last seasons, she appears again as a nice, only a little hysterical exagerate woman. I must said I like Harrier Oleson a lot...She makes me LAUGH! And someone who makes you laugh couldn't be so mean.greenS

Vanesa.

Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

PostSubject: Re: Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia)   lhotp - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 22, 2010 12:05 am

Vanesa wrote:
Maybe he noticed that Katherine MacGregor had a great potential of a comedian in her, and could add some salt to the show portraying her as the adult version of her daughter Nellie.

I think you're exactly right, Vanesa. lhotp - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 2 185146
Back to top Go down
alexczarn
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

PostSubject: Re: Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia)   lhotp - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 22, 2010 12:06 am

Yeah although Harriet is a bit snobbish, she can be really funny with some of her lines, etc Laughing

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia)   lhotp - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia)
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next