Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia)

Go down 
+25
Honeybee
Krissy
Lori
littlehouselover
Shell
Davetucson
Savannah
easyt72000
tresiemay
Gin
Rob
HarrisonCrosby4387
alexczarn
Farmer Girl
Vanesa
rana
LIWnut
JW
Amy
Misti
ChristinaAL
Rhonda
bethandmanly
carolineingalls
Carol
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665
Mood : nellie - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 4 Happy010

nellie - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia)   nellie - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 2:06 pm

Davetucson wrote:
Do you know why Albert didn't actually die on screen in "Lookback To Yesterday"?

"Look Back to Yesterday" was aired on December 12, 1983, with Albert Ingalls contracting a rare and deadly blood disease. However, Albert survives the ordeal as Michael didn't believe in killing off good characters on his show. The silence of film explains it perfectly.

Not to mention he and Matthew Laborteaux were very close, like father and son.

Source: Bonanza Bio

Thumbsup

nellie - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 4 Horses10
Back to top Go down
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
littlehouselover

Number of posts : 1056

PostSubject: Re: Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia)   nellie - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 4:19 pm

Quote :
Did you know that the "Outhouse" at the Ingalls place was never moved in ten years!
A True Lack of Realism!

Maybe that was because only Carrie used it. Smile

Someone who was doing models said the school outhouse moved a lot and he thought that was odd, really it was more realistic.
Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

Number of posts : 9374
Mood : nellie - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 4 Bokmal10

PostSubject: OUTHOUSE   nellie - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 4:25 pm

[quote="littlehouselover"]
Quote :
Did you know that the "Outhouse" at the Ingalls place was never moved in ten years!
A True Lack of Realism!

Maybe that was because only Carrie used it. Smile

Glad you answered that one! That clears the issue right up! We get down to the bottom of things in this forum!
Back to top Go down
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
littlehouselover

PostSubject: Re: Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia)   nellie - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 4:30 pm

LOL grinsmiley
Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

PostSubject: MATT   nellie - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 4:46 pm

Did You Know That Matt Was In This Show?
nellie - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 4 Matt_l11
Back to top Go down
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
littlehouselover

PostSubject: Re: Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia)   nellie - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 4:48 pm

He was adorable, when was it on?
Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

PostSubject: Matt   nellie - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 5:04 pm

This is not listed in his bios on the data base or Wikipedia. Just happened to stumble across it on the net!

1981 He was 15 years old
A program that attempts to separate western fact from fiction through dramatizations and film clips from various western feature films.

Don Meredith Host
Matthew Laborteaux
Jack Elam

Back to top Go down
Shell
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
Shell

Number of posts : 1353
Mood : nellie - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 4 Purple2

PostSubject: Re: Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia)   nellie - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 7:40 pm

Did you know that when Michael went to NBC about doing Highway To Heaven that the network wanted a younger actor to play Mark and Michael told them he wanted Victor for the part and if they didn't agree, he would ptch the show to another network? They finally agreed to allow Victor to play the part.
Back to top Go down
Shell
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
Shell

PostSubject: Re: Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia)   nellie - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 7:43 pm

Did you know that Victor French's wife was in the the episode, Money Crop? He was married to Julie Cobb who played Mrs.Colter.
Back to top Go down
Shell
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
Shell

PostSubject: Re: Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia)   nellie - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 7:50 pm

alexczarn wrote:
  • It should be noted that when asked which Greenbush twin did more scenes over the course of the series, it was said that Lindsay did, because Sidney had a bone cyst in her left arm, which caused her to break her arm multiple times. Because Sidney was in a cast so often, Lindsay had to do most of the acting as Carrie.

• Melissa Gilbert remembers the day in June 1974, when she had to film the closing titles at Big Sky Ranch for the show: "Actually, I was scared to death because the entire hill was covered with bees and I am allergic to them. We actually had to do it a few times because I kept running real fast just to get away. Mike finally persuaded me to slow down so I would not disturb the bees and they'd leave me alone....he was right." "One other silly footnote to the story is, at the very end of it I was imitating an airplane, with my arms out to the side, flying down the hill. After we finally got a take where I didn't race by the camera, they were thrilled that we got one in the can. Then someone realized there were no airplanes in the 1800s. It looked like we were going to have to do it again when Mike chimed in and said to me, 'Hey, Half-pint, were you being an airplane or a bird?' I said, 'A bird, now get me out of here!' And that's the story of the end credits."

• This is the episode where we see the opening credits for the first time, and part of these credits show the three Ingalls girls running down the hill as the young actresses' names are flashed across. For obvious reasons, the clip with little Carrie tripping and falling is one of the most memorable and endearing moments in these credits, and 2-year-old Sidney Greenbush refused to start running again after she fell. She just stood up and walked slowly at her own pace. Everyone was calling out to her to start running again, but she wouldn't do it, and they ended up keeping the footage just as it was.

• In a 2006 interview, Melissa Sue Anderson revealed something very interesting about the show's opening credits, where the Ingalls girls are seen running down the hill (as they were every week for the first seven seasons). The hill was actually much less verdant that it appears, and in order to make it appear more springtime like, the set decorators placed arificial flowers on wire stems all over the part of the field that would have been within camera range. All of the white daisies and other flowers that appear in the credits were fake; nothing was in bloom at the time. Furthermore, Anderson said that one of the wires supporting the flowers cut her on the leg, causing her to fall and sustain a minor whiplash. Later, a sprinkler system was installed on set, allowing those in charge to better control the environment, and thus the appearance, of Walnut Grove.
I'm surprised with Melissa Gilbert being allergic to bees, that they had her collect honey in the episode, The Third Miracle. Knowing she's allergic, you would think they wouldn't have had the bees around her.
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45733
Mood : nellie - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 4 Headac10

PostSubject: Re: Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia)   nellie - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 8:47 pm

wow.didn't know.

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
Davetucson
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Davetucson

PostSubject: Julie Cobb   nellie - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 12:30 am

Spanky wrote:
Did you know that Victor French's wife was in the the episode, Money Crop? He was married to Julie Cobb who played Mrs.Colter.

Sure did Spanky! I read that on page 11 of -david-s-little-facts-about-little-house-extras

Sorry, had to get an adverisement in!
Back to top Go down
Honeybee
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Honeybee

Number of posts : 3565

PostSubject: Re: Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia)   nellie - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 4:36 pm

These are cool facts.

wootwoot
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136

PostSubject: Re: Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia)   nellie - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 4 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 12:20 am

Spanky wrote:
Did you know that when Michael went to NBC about doing Highway To Heaven that the network wanted a younger actor to play Mark and Michael told them he wanted Victor for the part and if they didn't agree, he would ptch the show to another network? They finally agreed to allow Victor to play the part.

Yes; I knew about it...and I think that Muchael was right trying to impose Victor French to play Mark, since not only that Victor was a terriffic actor, but there was a great chemistry between these two. Thumbsup

Vanesa.

nellie - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 4 Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
jessicamarie
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
jessicamarie

Number of posts : 142

PostSubject: Nellie   nellie - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 02, 2012 7:55 pm

I was reading a book awhile ago and it had some entries of real life Grace Ingalls diary! It was really interesting and really cool, but the most interesting, and funny thing in it was when Grace wrote about Genevieve Masters (one of the girls Laura based Nellie on) She said that Genevieve was getting married to someone (whose name escapes me at the moment) and she thought they must look awfully funny together seeing as the guy (again I don't remember his name) was so much shorter that her. That is so funny! The fact that the producers kept that small detail, that Nellie's husband was shorter, amazes me. I just thought I'd share. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136

PostSubject: Re: Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia)   nellie - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 4 EmptyWed Oct 03, 2012 12:45 am

Davetucson wrote:
A True Lack of Realism!

laugh3

Vanesa.

nellie - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 4 Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
jes9
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
jes9

Number of posts : 1066

PostSubject: Re: Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia)   nellie - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 4 EmptyWed Oct 03, 2012 10:44 pm

Davetucson wrote:
Quote :
A True Lack of Realism!

Except when it tipped over with Carrie inside.

nellie - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 4 JohnKeeper
Back to top Go down
jessicamarie
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
jessicamarie

Number of posts : 142

PostSubject: Re: Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia)   nellie - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 4 EmptyWed Oct 03, 2012 11:10 pm

I remember that!
Back to top Go down
alexczarn
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

Number of posts : 22999

PostSubject: Re: Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia)   nellie - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 4 EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 12:53 am

Spanky wrote:
alexczarn wrote:
  • It should be noted that when asked which Greenbush twin did more scenes over the course of the series, it was said that Lindsay did, because Sidney had a bone cyst in her left arm, which caused her to break her arm multiple times. Because Sidney was in a cast so often, Lindsay had to do most of the acting as Carrie.

• Melissa Gilbert remembers the day in June 1974, when she had to film the closing titles at Big Sky Ranch for the show: "Actually, I was scared to death because the entire hill was covered with bees and I am allergic to them. We actually had to do it a few times because I kept running real fast just to get away. Mike finally persuaded me to slow down so I would not disturb the bees and they'd leave me alone....he was right." "One other silly footnote to the story is, at the very end of it I was imitating an airplane, with my arms out to the side, flying down the hill. After we finally got a take where I didn't race by the camera, they were thrilled that we got one in the can. Then someone realized there were no airplanes in the 1800s. It looked like we were going to have to do it again when Mike chimed in and said to me, 'Hey, Half-pint, were you being an airplane or a bird?' I said, 'A bird, now get me out of here!' And that's the story of the end credits."

• This is the episode where we see the opening credits for the first time, and part of these credits show the three Ingalls girls running down the hill as the young actresses' names are flashed across. For obvious reasons, the clip with little Carrie tripping and falling is one of the most memorable and endearing moments in these credits, and 2-year-old Sidney Greenbush refused to start running again after she fell. She just stood up and walked slowly at her own pace. Everyone was calling out to her to start running again, but she wouldn't do it, and they ended up keeping the footage just as it was.

• In a 2006 interview, Melissa Sue Anderson revealed something very interesting about the show's opening credits, where the Ingalls girls are seen running down the hill (as they were every week for the first seven seasons). The hill was actually much less verdant that it appears, and in order to make it appear more springtime like, the set decorators placed arificial flowers on wire stems all over the part of the field that would have been within camera range. All of the white daisies and other flowers that appear in the credits were fake; nothing was in bloom at the time. Furthermore, Anderson said that one of the wires supporting the flowers cut her on the leg, causing her to fall and sustain a minor whiplash. Later, a sprinkler system was installed on set, allowing those in charge to better control the environment, and thus the appearance, of Walnut Grove.
I'm surprised with Melissa Gilbert being allergic to bees, that they had her collect honey in the episode, The Third Miracle. Knowing she's allergic, you would think they wouldn't have had the bees around her.

Oh yeah! Didn't think of that...weird...

jessicamarie wrote:
I was reading a book awhile ago and it had some entries of real life Grace Ingalls diary! It was really interesting and really cool, but the most interesting, and funny thing in it was when Grace wrote about Genevieve Masters (one of the girls Laura based Nellie on) She said that Genevieve was getting married to someone (whose name escapes me at the moment) and she thought they must look awfully funny together seeing as the guy (again I don't remember his name) was so much shorter that her. That is so funny! The fact that the producers kept that small detail, that Nellie's husband was shorter, amazes me. I just thought I'd share. Laughing

Haha!

nellie - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 4 Alexke11
Back to top Go down
Jillybean
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
Jillybean

Number of posts : 39
Mood : nellie - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 4 Mornincoffee

PostSubject: Re: Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia)   nellie - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 4 EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 2:31 pm

I remember from an interview that MG had a broken arm in the episode “Be My Friend,” (and they did a GREAT job of concealing it).

In the “Behind the Scenes” topic, I just found out that ML had a broken foot in “The Rivals.” Anything else like this??

I also remember reading that KM hurt herself falling off the horse in “Here Come the Brides,” but I don’t know if she broke anything or had to wear a cast.

Oh, and AA said she broke her arm riding a skateboard. Not sure if she ever had to wear a cast (or maybe this is when they filmed “Bunny")?

Last edited by Jillybean on Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
alexczarn
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

Number of posts : 22999

PostSubject: Re: Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia)   nellie - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 4 EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 4:32 pm

When KM hurt herself I think they had to use Ruth Foster for a scene or two.

nellie - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 4 Alexke11
Back to top Go down
jes9
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
jes9

Number of posts : 1066

PostSubject: Re: Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia)   nellie - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 4 EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 6:33 pm

Yes, Alison Arngrim wore a cast for real during the filming of "Bunny". She talks about it on the DVD set. As I recall, she wore the 19th century-style cast over a modern one.

nellie - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 4 JohnKeeper
Back to top Go down
LHOTPfan2000
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
LHOTPfan2000

Number of posts : 675
Mood : nellie - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 4 Confus10

PostSubject: Little house on the prairie fun Facts!!!   nellie - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 4 EmptyMon May 20, 2013 2:33 pm

In the movie, Little House: The Last Farewell, they really did blow up the town. Producer and leading star, Michael Landon didn't want the bulldozers to crush the buildings. So he wrote a story which gave the inhabitants the chance to destroy their town themselves. They did not however destroy the home that the Ingalls had lived in. That was destroyed by the fires in California in late 2003.

Out of the many young girls who auditioned for the role of Laura Ingalls, Michael Landon was convinced immediately that Melissa Gilbert was the perfect candidate. In fact, he was so certain that Gilbert's was the only screen test that he sent to the producers at NBC

Alison Arngrim originally auditioned for the role of Laura Ingalls, but was not successful. She then tried out for the role of Laura's sister Mary, to the same avail. However, when auditioning for the role of "Nasty" Nellie Oleson, she was hired on the spot for playing mean so convincingly.

In the episode, Little House on the Prairie: Here Come the Brides, Scottie MacGregor was actually injured in the scene where Mrs. Olson falls off the horse. Because MacGregor was unable to do the next sequence, Ruth Foster (who plays Mrs. Foster in the show) dressed in Mrs. Olson's costume and filmed the scene for her instead.

The character Charles Ingalls was ranked #4 in TV Guide's list of the "50 Greatest TV Dads of All Time" (20 June 2004 issue).

Dean Butler remarked that the first kiss between him and Melissa Gilbert (Laura) was so nerve-racking for everyone, that there were chaperones on the set to make sure nothing unseemly was going on. From the sidelines, Melissa's mother Barbara was wailing "My baby!" so much that she had to be consoled.

Michael Landon had a unique way of inspiring child actors to cry when required for a scene. Melissa Gilbert described how he would work himself up emotionally, face her with his eyes full of tears and ask her, "Do you know how much I love you?" to which she would get all teary and emotional in response.

Although loosely based on the real stories penned by Laura Ingalls Wilder, the show took many liberties with different characters. The biggest example of this is the characters of Albert Ingalls and Adam Kendall, neither of whom ever existed: Charles and Caroline Ingalls were the parents of four daughters, Mary, Laura, Carrie, and Grace; and Mary Ingalls remained single all her life. They also had a son, Charles Frederick, who died as a baby.

Laura's favorite perfume was lemon verbena. Mr. Edwards gave it to her in two episodes. Once when she was a little girl, and again after she was grown up.

Melissa Gilbert was very impressed by Michael Landon's habit of putting out cigarettes on his gloves.

Melissa Gilbert (Laura Ingalls Wilder) appeared in 191 of the series' 205 episodes, more than anyone else. In second place is Karen Grassle (Caroline Ingalls), who appeared in 172 episodes.

For the Ingalls family tree - Mary never married and had no children. Carrie married, had no children, but raised two stepchildren. Grace married and had no children. So the only Ingalls girl to have children was Laura - Rose and Baby Boy wilder who died at 9 months old, not within weeks as depicted on the show.

Hope you enjoy reading them! Smile

nellie - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 4 PhoebeKeeper

“It was a huge shock when it came and very excited“

This was the duchess of cambridges take on how she felt when William proposed during their official engagement interview with ITN reporter Tom Bradby. There was a real giggle at the end. Cute.
Back to top Go down
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/phoeberule
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia)   nellie - Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia) - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Did you know.... (LHOTP Trivia)
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4