Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Laura Ingalls Wilder

Go down 
+7
ChristineLovesLHOTP
Krissy
david
amyk
bethandmanly
jes9
Kristina
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Shell
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
Shell

Number of posts : 1353
Mood : ingalls - Laura Ingalls Wilder - Page 2 Purple2

ingalls - Laura Ingalls Wilder - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laura Ingalls Wilder   ingalls - Laura Ingalls Wilder - Page 2 EmptySat May 02, 2015 8:01 pm

When Almanzo stopped the stage coach to talk to Laura and she accepted his proposal after they had broken up, he said they will go to Sleepy Eye to tell her parents they have made up and going to get married, he said they will pick Eliza Jane on the way. He should have taken the wagon and took Albert, Carrie and Grace with them. Albert, Carrie and Grace got cheated out seeing both their older sister get married. They didn't get to go to Adam and Mary's wedding or Laura and Almanzo's. I know Laura and Almanzo's was a last minute decision to wed that day, but they should have thought about her brother and sisters.
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600
Mood : ingalls - Laura Ingalls Wilder - Page 2 Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: Laura Ingalls Wilder   ingalls - Laura Ingalls Wilder - Page 2 EmptySat May 02, 2015 11:03 pm

That always bugged me too, Shell. It seems silly Laura wouldn't have thought to bring her siblings with her.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Honeybee
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Honeybee

Number of posts : 3565

PostSubject: Re: Laura Ingalls Wilder   ingalls - Laura Ingalls Wilder - Page 2 EmptySat May 28, 2016 8:24 pm

I felt bad for Eliza Jane. I'll be heart broken, if a guy dates me. Then, decide to go married some other lady. My heart will be into million pieces.

Did the real Eliza Jane got married in real life?

wootwoot
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600

PostSubject: Re: Laura Ingalls Wilder   ingalls - Laura Ingalls Wilder - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 02, 2016 11:58 pm

I think she got married twice and had several step-children.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
amyk
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler

Number of posts : 540

PostSubject: Re: Laura Ingalls Wilder   ingalls - Laura Ingalls Wilder - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 15, 2021 10:32 pm

Going to write my comments after just finishing this two-parter tonight (recorded from COZI-TV, which unfortunately means that some parts are cut out).

While I love it that Laura and Almanzo finally get married, I admit that I don't think I like this episode as much as SWEET SIXTEEN, and if I could re-make it somehow, I think that I would do things differently.

I like the subplot of Nellie's pregnancy. I do think Harriet is quite funny in the doctor's office, especially when she thinks Nellie is going to die in 6 months. I also thought it was nice of Percival to be in church with Nellie, since he's not even a Christian. I don't remember if he normally goes to church with her, just out of respect for her or what. (By the way, I missed part one of "HE LOVES ME, HE LOVES ME NOT" on COZI-TV because I accidentally erased it, and then they jumped clear up to "LAURA INGALLS WILDER" without even showing part 2, so maybe I can catch that one another time.)

I have sort of mixed feelings about the whole rest of the episode. I do think Almanzo was unwise in making that deal for the farmland. But I also think the guy he bought it from was a jerk as well to dam up the stream. In any case, I think Almanzo was being more unreasonable about Laura and the teaching. When he gets her off the stagecoach, he indicates that it wasn't really about the teaching but was about them being apart. However, that's not the impression we get at all earlier in the episode, when it seems to be more about his pride than anything else. So I don't know if we are to believe he had a change of heart or if he really was more upset earlier that Laura would be away from him.

And then a part of me wants to kick Harv Miller - is he truly so dense he cannot see that Eliza Jane has romantic feelings for him? And even if he could not see that, doesn't he see anything wrong with the whole way he told her he was going to go back to Sleepy Eye and try to win over Miss Mabel (or whatever his beloved's name was)??? Why on earth would he take Eliza Jane out to the nice restaurant and start talking about how he had never told a woman he loved her, etc. etc.? Okay, maybe he just really was that dense, but I feel so bad for Eliza Jane when she just was convinced Harv was going to tell her he loved her.

Then I also have mixed feelings about what Eliza Jane did, in lying to Almanzo about Harv and her. I know she did it because she loves Almanzo and wanted him to be with Laura, but I kind of feel like Almanzo and Laura needed to work out their differences without this "easy out."

Also, wondering about Laura's bag. Wouldn't she have had some important things in that bag that she left on the stagecoach?

I wish we had a private scene between Mary and Laura before Laura got married....seemed almost a waste to even have Mary and Adam in this episode since we barely got to see them.

But perhaps the thing that bothers me most of all is that neither Mary nor Laura were married by Revd. Alden in the Walnut Grove church!! Why couldn't Laura and Almanzo wait and get married in front of all their friends in Walnut Grove? I hate that the wedding just seemed kind of tacked on to the episode and would have like to have much more time devoted to it. Carrie, Albert, and Grace weren't even at their own sister's wedding. I would so much have preferred this be a celebration for all of Walnut Grove.

But of course I am happy that we now have "Laura Ingalls Wilder." I just think it didn't need to be rushed like that.

Last edited by amyk on Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
amyk
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler

PostSubject: Re: Laura Ingalls Wilder   ingalls - Laura Ingalls Wilder - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 15, 2021 10:33 pm

amyk wrote:
I think this was a good way to send off Eliza Jane, by letting her do this for Laura and Almanzo. But I kind of wish the episode did not focus quite so much on her and more on Laura and Almanzo.
Well, looks like my thoughts have changed a bit since I wrote this post! Laughing
Back to top Go down
amyk
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler

PostSubject: Re: Laura Ingalls Wilder   ingalls - Laura Ingalls Wilder - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 15, 2021 10:53 pm

One more thing....Eliza Jane's voiceover at the end....do you think she is truly the happiest she has ever been or is she just trying to convince herself of that? Wasn't she the happiest she had ever been when she thought that Harv loved her?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Laura Ingalls Wilder   ingalls - Laura Ingalls Wilder - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Laura Ingalls Wilder
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2