Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Sylvan Learning Center

Go down 
+4
Lily
Gin
Savannah
bethandmanly
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600
Mood : Sylvan Learning Center Bokmal10

Sylvan Learning Center Empty
PostSubject: Sylvan Learning Center   Sylvan Learning Center EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 1:44 pm

As some of you may know, my oldest daughter has been going to Sylvan since February to get help with reading. On Thursday, I went to drop her off for her lesson and found the door locked and a note that says the center is temporarily closed. Well, after some Internet research and a few phone calls, I have discovered not only is this because the man who owns the center is having financial trouble, but that the same thing happened in Milpitas, CA. So, now we don't have a tutor, I have to waste my time trying to get back money that I spent to prepay for services we didn't get, and my daughter isn't getting the help she needs right now.

So, if you know anyone who has a child at a Sylvan Learning Center you might want to pass this information along. It's happened twice that I know of, and it could happen to them too. These are franchised offices, so your child's academic success is in the hands of a person you hope has some business sense--which ours obviously didn't have.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Sylvan Learning Center Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428
Mood : Sylvan Learning Center Happy010

PostSubject: Re: Sylvan Learning Center   Sylvan Learning Center EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 1:49 pm

They didn't even have the courtesy to let parents know?? My stars! What if a child had been sent by a transit bus, and had no way to get home? mad And with the price of gas, and how busy people are now.......the wasted time and gas are quite a consideration, too! Thoughtless people. Ranting
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: Sylvan Learning Center   Sylvan Learning Center EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 4:24 pm

At least I didn't work there. They told the employees that they were out of a job via email.

Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

Number of posts : 5920
Mood : Sylvan Learning Center Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: Sylvan Learning Center   Sylvan Learning Center EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 4:44 pm

Cheryl, My son Madison had alot of problems with reading too. He recieved extra help at school. They pulled him out of class a few days a week so he could have a little one on one with someone. I worried about what he would miss in class, but they assured me he would benefit more if he went.
We also worked extra hard at home. Reading every night became as common as eating dinner. After alot of trys I finally found that he liked joke books. It didnt take long to read them and they were fun. Also, he could read them aloud to ME.
Find what she likes and stick to it. It will all work out. Let her know that you will still succeed no matter what it takes.
Good Luck getting a refund....I'm still working on getting the school to pay for a stolen trumpet!! Ranting

Sylvan Learning Center Project2

It is the lack of Christianity that has  brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts.  LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: Sylvan Learning Center   Sylvan Learning Center EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 6:41 pm

Thanks Gin. She's already been in reading recovery since Kindergarten, and I honestly don't feel it has helped her at all. The big change I saw in her progress was when she was at Sylvan. Most of all, it her teachers noticed a big difference in her level of participation and confidence after a few months with Sylvan.

Luckily she has a very good teacher this year and even though she used to fight me to read, she offered to read last night and her weekly goal in school has been to read more. So, the teacher is very supportive of what we're trying to do to help her. I only hope this whole Sylvan thing doesn't set her back. She adored two of her teachers, and the first thing she said when she found the place closed is, "I'll never get to see Joy again." It broke my heart.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sylvan Learning Center   Sylvan Learning Center EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 7:01 pm

That sucks..Hope you can get ur refund!

They really should of let people know what was going on!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sylvan Learning Center   Sylvan Learning Center EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 7:22 pm

That stinks. Good luck with everything.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sylvan Learning Center   Sylvan Learning Center EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 7:28 pm

Sorry too hear this , Cheryl. I hope you get your money back.
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: Sylvan Learning Center   Sylvan Learning Center EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 10:10 pm

Thanks everyone. It's an annoying situation, but hopefully it will get resolved without too much effort. I contacted the local papers on Friday and I spoke with reporters yesterday and today. A photographer came to the house today, so I guess the Lil Diva and I are going to be in the paper tomorrow when they run the story on the sudden Sylvan closing.

The Corporate Office contacted me tonight and provided me with the owner's phone number and his attorney's phone number. So, hopefully there will some quick action on this. And if you believe that, I have a bridge to sell ya. :haha:

Back to top Go down
Lily
"Beautiful Life"
Sylvan Learning Center LilyRank2
Lily

Number of posts : 6784
Mood : Sylvan Learning Center Vianne10

PostSubject: Re: Sylvan Learning Center   Sylvan Learning Center EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 11:31 pm

Sometimes you have to be a 'pest' to get some actions, otherwise, they would just dilly dally and nothing gets done. mad

"Within the heart of every stray, lies the singular desire to be loved."
Back to top Go down
pamh36
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
pamh36

Number of posts : 5900

PostSubject: Re: Sylvan Learning Center   Sylvan Learning Center EmptyTue Sep 30, 2008 7:39 am

I am so sorry this happened to you and your daughter. With the way things are going, I worry that we will see and hear of more and more of this kind of thing. I do hope you are able to get your money back!!

Sylvan Learning Center PamKeeper
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417

PostSubject: Re: Sylvan Learning Center   Sylvan Learning Center EmptyTue Sep 30, 2008 10:31 am

bethandmanly wrote:
The Corporate Office contacted me tonight and provided me with the owner's phone number and his attorney's phone number. So, hopefully there will some quick action on this. And if you believe that, I have a bridge to sell ya. :haha:

Well, that's something at least. Here's hoping! Thumbsup

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: Sylvan Learning Center   Sylvan Learning Center EmptyTue Sep 30, 2008 5:15 pm

Looks like we're going to play games with the whole money issue. Sylvan Corporate wants to wash their hands of it and send us to the owner and the owner and his attorney certainly aren't taking calls. On a good note, the director got in touch with me and I might be able to get some of the tutors the Lil Diva liked to tutor her privately. Say a prayer and cross your fingers.

And thanks again for all the support. I appreciate it!

Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: Sylvan Learning Center   Sylvan Learning Center EmptyTue Sep 30, 2008 8:11 pm

If you go to http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2008/09/3_area_sylvan_learning_centers.html?category=Business+category=East%20Longmeadow+category=Education you'll see the article the daily paper did about the closure of 3 Sylvan Learning Centers. A photo of my daughter and me on our front porch is included in the article.

Back to top Go down
pamh36
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
pamh36

PostSubject: Re: Sylvan Learning Center   Sylvan Learning Center EmptyTue Sep 30, 2008 8:54 pm

Ugh! It sounds like they are giving everyone the runaround. I sure do hope that you are able to get your money back!

Your daughter looks so sad in the photo in that article. Blue

Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: Sylvan Learning Center   Sylvan Learning Center EmptyTue Sep 30, 2008 10:22 pm

pamh36 wrote:
Ugh! It sounds like they are giving everyone the runaround. I sure do hope that you are able to get your money back!

Your daughter looks so sad in the photo in that article. Blue

She doesn't smile for pictures unless Daddy is taking them. My husband went to Sears a couple of years ago to get pictures of the three kids together for my Christmas gift. He had to take those photos too. I can only imagine what the photographer thought.

Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Sylvan Learning Center Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428
Mood : Sylvan Learning Center Happy010

PostSubject: Re: Sylvan Learning Center   Sylvan Learning Center EmptyTue Sep 30, 2008 10:25 pm

Thanks for the link to the article, Cheryl!
Back to top Go down
Lily
"Beautiful Life"
Sylvan Learning Center LilyRank2
Lily

Number of posts : 6784
Mood : Sylvan Learning Center Vianne10

PostSubject: Re: Sylvan Learning Center   Sylvan Learning Center EmptyTue Sep 30, 2008 10:37 pm

I was just gonna ask you how much you invested in the Center, and then I read $9,000. That's a lot of money! Since it said that the owner is in debt, that'll be the excuse used over and over. Start lookin into lawsuits, they can't just forget about your money...and many others. mad banghead

Your little diva is adorable!!

"Within the heart of every stray, lies the singular desire to be loved."
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: Sylvan Learning Center   Sylvan Learning Center EmptyTue Sep 30, 2008 11:48 pm

Lily wrote:
I was just gonna ask you how much you invested in the Center, and then I read $9,000. That's a lot of money! Since it said that the owner is in debt, that'll be the excuse used over and over. Start lookin into lawsuits, they can't just forget about your money...and many others. mad banghead

Your little diva is adorable!!

Well, they only owe us about a third of it because she's used some of their services, but it's still a good size hunk of change. If he declares bankruptcy then it will be difficult to get anything from him. You know, I hate to see a person suffer. Obviously he didn't want to go out of business, but he didn't handle the closing right.

Yeah, I think that little one is kinda cute...even if she looks like her dad. :haha:

Back to top Go down
pamh36
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
pamh36

PostSubject: Re: Sylvan Learning Center   Sylvan Learning Center EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 7:27 am

bethandmanly wrote:
She doesn't smile for pictures unless Daddy is taking them. My husband went to Sears a couple of years ago to get pictures of the three kids together for my Christmas gift. He had to take those photos too. I can only imagine what the photographer thought.

I apparantly didn't like to smile for photographers either. :haha:

Sylvan Learning Center Pampout

Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: Sylvan Learning Center   Sylvan Learning Center EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 8:25 am

Oh Pam, that's a great picture!

Back to top Go down
carolineingalls
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
carolineingalls

Number of posts : 1209
Mood : Sylvan Learning Center Pbucket

PostSubject: Re: Sylvan Learning Center   Sylvan Learning Center EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 8:29 am

Sorry to hear about all the hassle you're having, Cheryl. Hope you have some success either getting a refund or placed in another centre. And at least you've helped make other families aware of what is happening through the newspaper article.

Sylvan Learning Center MaureenKeeper

"To change your life takes a lot of courage and energy. It's not for wimps." Karen Grassle. April 2006
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62618
Mood : Sylvan Learning Center Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: Sylvan Learning Center   Sylvan Learning Center EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 9:17 am

pamh36 wrote:

"Yeah, my dress is frilly. You got a problem with that?"

Laughing
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417

PostSubject: Re: Sylvan Learning Center   Sylvan Learning Center EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 9:28 am

Rob wrote:
pamh36 wrote:

"Yeah, my dress is frilly. You got a problem with that?"

Laughing

OMG!! Rolling here!! ROTFL

Pam---that is just TOO cute!!! Applause

Cheryl, I know I already replied to you on the DQ forum, but I see you posted the link here too. Your daughter really is such a doll! Even though the picture is not taken under the best of circumstances, it's a very neat picture of the two of you. Thumbsup I love the 'Lil Diva' term of endearment! :haha:

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

PostSubject: Re: Sylvan Learning Center   Sylvan Learning Center EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 10:40 am

carolineingalls wrote:
Sorry to hear about all the hassle you're having, Cheryl. Hope you have some success either getting a refund or placed in another centre. And at least you've helped make other families aware of what is happening through the newspaper article.

Thanks Maureen!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sylvan Learning Center   Sylvan Learning Center Empty

Back to top Go down

Sylvan Learning Center
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next