HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  Log in  

Share | 

May We Make Them Proud

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Horatio Hornblower
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 31
Mood :

PostSubject: Re: May We Make Them Proud   Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:05 am

My problem with that episode was the fact that Albert did not get any form of punishment after they found out he was the one that did it. Sure it was an accident. But still he should have been punished in some way. I mean it was arson and i am not sure if second degree murder is the correct term to call it. But i can`t think of another term to use.

But i do agree with you that Charles favoritism with Albert was strange. But i think it was because Charles always wanted a son.

But i also agree that being more concerned about Albert than Mary was strange.

And could Mary really be able to forgive Albert i mean he was the reason that her child died. Even if it was an accident. I don`t have children so i could be wrong. But my guess is that a mother or father would have a hard time forgiving a person that caused the death of their child even if it was an accident. Of course that is a guess from my part. I could be wrong

Some people may say that the guilt was punishment enough. But it really is not.

i apologize form my crappy spelling and grammar.

That being said it was a good episode

“I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.”

― Edgar Allan Poe
Back to top Go down
View user profile
reneerose
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 55

PostSubject: Re: May We Make Them Proud   Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:50 pm

I watched this episode in its original broadcast and felt so sucker- punched as a kid. I rewatched this episode recently as an adult and still wonder what possessed Michael Landon into writing this story. Short answer: Network Television Ratings Sweeps Month. After having Mary first miscarry and then become pregnant again, this episode seemed way too cruel to have her lose the 2nd baby as well so soon after its birth. Unless Michael Landon was trying to prove that bad things happen unexpectedly...these bad episodes happen every once in awhile on LHOTP.  I loved Mrs. Garvey so much too!  If they really had to have this happen, they should have just let Mrs. Garvey die and a child from the blind school, would have made it still resonant without it taking a major hit on Mary and Adam again (poor unlucky couple).  bawling

I wonder if it was discussed what long term effects there would be on Adam and Mary's storyline. Killing off their 2nd baby meant they weren't going to play out the concern Mary expressed in "The Wedding" about raising a sighted child. It's as if the setup occurred for a great Mary and Adam storyline with no follow through.

Also silly that the school had to burn down and later when Adam's father is supposed to donate to the rebuilding...because of the his father's money mismanagement...all that's left is that plaque in Alice's and Adam Jr.' name.

And agree with all the opinions that Mary and Adam leaving their baby in their room and putting their other students before their own baby's safety was plain stupid! This is pretty much the episode that made me hate Michael Landon as a writer for the show.  mad  

Also since Albert was the one with Clay to play with the smoking pipe...I don't see how easily Adam and Mary could forgive the loss of their precious 2nd baby ( as well as Mr. Garvey and Andy about Alice) without a long long long healing period.  I would think realistically it would have taken much more than a 2 parter to forgive the loss of precious family members.

Not realistic at all and seeming to favor the cliché of guilt ridden children running away only to be later rescued by Pa and told they don't have to feel bad anymore and everything is okay??!?? Strange strange episode.

Last edited by reneerose on Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
littlehouselover
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident

Number of posts : 1014

PostSubject: Re: May We Make Them Proud   Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:42 am

I think that is what they were trying to show because Albert did have a conscience which is why he was upset with Mary and the music box, etc. I know when real parents I read about in the paper,  had a child die and probably could have prevented it, they fell in pool, hit by car pulling out, etc. maybe a lit cigarette starting a fire, the judge usually thinks losing the child was enough pain. No fine or days in jail make that less.

I think many Christians try to forgive, at least with words first. As my priest said to me once, the feelings can come later, the words can be a start for many to heal. I agree, it would be very hard for me, but what punishment could there have been?

I didn't like this show, much too dark and I was tired of seeing Mary go through yet another heartbreak. Back then, people were used to losing family to illness and miscarriage, etc. but this episode was a little over the top for me, well acted, but over the top.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
reneerose
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 55

PostSubject: Re: May We Make Them Proud   Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:34 pm

Yes it was very much an overdone episode and I think one that seriously led to the show's decline.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: May We Make Them Proud   Today at 7:47 am

Back to top Go down

May We Make Them Proud
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4