Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Skunk!!!

Go down 
+8
Gin
Savannah
Lori
flatbroke
bethandmanly
Vanesa
Rob
Amy
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : Skunk!!! Love-s10

Skunk!!! Empty
PostSubject: Skunk!!!   Skunk!!! EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 11:07 pm

My goodness, we certainly have been having the animal posts these days, huh?! Well, I'm adding into the mix. It's a beautiful evening here and we had our parents here...the windows have been open all night and it's been lovely. Well, they left in the nick of time. Our dogs went nuts and wanted to go in the backyard. We let them out, and sure enough, there must have been a skunk who felt threatened to spray, because all of a sudden the entire house reeks!! Even my son in the basement (where it was closed off) yelled upstairs, "What's that awful smell?!" We've closed up the house and put the air conditioning on! Yikes Thank God the dogs weren't sprayed....we had to bribe them inside with a hotdog, LOL, but at least we got them in. Now, lucky us, we'll have the next week or so of skunk odor around here! thud
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62618
Mood : Skunk!!! Goodsi10

Skunk!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skunk!!!   Skunk!!! EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 11:33 pm

YIKES, Amy!! Skunk!!! 279394 I'm glad the dogs were spared a direct hit, but still, I know how that odor can linger. Skunk!!! Kopfschuettel
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Skunk!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skunk!!!   Skunk!!! EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 11:39 pm

Well, so much for that. Jenna got it. I really didn't think she did---the odor is strong in the house just from the skunk being around. I don't think she was actually sprayed, but they were in the direct AREA where the skunk sprayed, so she STINKS. Any ideas on what to bathe her with?! Going to research now....I don't even believe this. OhMy (Bill and I have both read that it's unbearable to be around a dog who's been sprayed, and although she's pretty pungent, I don't think she's as bad as what I've always heard a spraying by a skunk is....I don't know, now I'm questioning it! Whistle )
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Skunk!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skunk!!!   Skunk!!! EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 11:43 pm

I think a bath in tomato juice is the usual remedy.
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136
Mood : Skunk!!! Bokmal10

Skunk!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skunk!!!   Skunk!!! EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 12:53 am

Ugh! Skunks are the awful thing there could be! thud Here, at the countryside we have also skunks, and if you are travelling in car by I highway and you pass near a skunk are...MY! I can say you WILL NOTICE IT! You can sniff that hideous smell inside the car for a while. greenS

Vanesa.

Skunk!!! Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Skunk!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skunk!!!   Skunk!!! EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 12:58 am

Rob wrote:

Well, we were thinking the same thing, but I guess that's a myth. Supposedly the best recipe is hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and dishwashing liquid mixed together. I bathed her in it for a good 10 minutes, then rinsed that out and bathed her in a "deep deodorizing" shampoo. Wow---I'm impressed---can't smell a thing on her now! Of course, this is all AFTER I had to make a run to the store at midnight. I didn't have any dog shampoo and I am out of hydrogen peroxide. It was worth the trip though! I just Lysoled the entire house. Of course, Jenna & I are wide awake now, after we both basically had our morning shower! Yikes Oh, and by the way, there is no question anymore that she was truly good and sprayed---I removed her collar and that is extremely stinky as well, so it's a given that unless she rolled around in it, she was definitely sprayed. Well, it could have been worse---Chelsey could have gotten it too! Yikes

Vanesa wrote:
Ugh! Skunks are the awful thing there could be!

I couldn't agree more Vanesa! thud

Last edited by Amy on Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600

Skunk!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skunk!!!   Skunk!!! EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 12:58 am

Rob wrote:

Yep, lots of it. I have a better skunk story. My uncle was coming home late one night and he didn't see a skunk in the yard. Well, he sure got sprayed and he didn't want to bring that smell into the house., so.....he took off all--and I mean all--his clothes and walked through the yard and into the house without a stitch on. That will teach him to spend too much time at the lodge.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Skunk!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skunk!!!   Skunk!!! EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 1:01 am

LOL Cheryl! I'm thinking of a certain Dr. Quinn episode right about now, aren't you? Whistle Wink
Back to top Go down
flatbroke
Man of Constant Sorrow
Man of Constant Sorrow
flatbroke

Number of posts : 2648
Mood : Skunk!!! Party010

Skunk!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skunk!!!   Skunk!!! EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 5:49 am

Your idea was good Amy. I wouldn't want the hydro-perox though. I like my hair color. Image hosted by servimg.com

It's basically something acidic you need, plus the soap and shampoo. Tomato juice works well, but it's acidic too, but not in high concentration, which is why people use a lot of it.

I had dogs that would get to messing with skunks all the time as a kid, and we'd use rubbing alcohol, and the other stuff you said. I had a skunk nail me once when I was out hunting with my dog, and Pop said there wasn't enough 'mater juice on earth to get that smell off, so it was a washtub, alcohol, lemon juice and shampoo. MAN was it embarrassing. Nobody wants to be in a tub nekkid with their Pop washing them up while they're laughing themselves to tears.
Back to top Go down
Lori
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Lori

Number of posts : 6032

Skunk!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skunk!!!   Skunk!!! EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 8:50 am

For the smell in the house, you might want to try something like Oust. It might work better than Lysol since what you want to eliminate is in the air.

Skunk!!! Lorike10
Back to top Go down

Skunk!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skunk!!!   Skunk!!! EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 9:11 am

yuck1 hate that smell
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Skunk!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skunk!!!   Skunk!!! EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 12:41 pm

Thanks for the tips Larry and Lori!

It's been a heck of a morning. She's had her second bath this morning. She smelled so much better last night, but was rather pungent again this morning----better, but not in the clear. I am going to go out and buy what's called "Nature's Miracle", which everyone is raving about online. I have been researching on this subject like crazy! Yikes The Nature's Miracle has enzymes in it that neutralize and kill the odor. Still, they say it could take a month to get the stench out of the house!!! Honestly, it doesn't get worse than this----Larry, you know! I actually opened a drawer, and a puff of skunk smell came out of it!! It's awful. No Hopefully this stuff that's coming highly recommended will work, both on the dog and in clearing the odor out of the house! At least it's not humid today---we have all the windows open and fans blowing the air out.

I'm about ready to move out for the next month! Blue

(Oh, Lori....the Lysol I've been using is the spray that's designed like an air freshener. I'm not so sure it's doing much good though---do you like Oust better? I'm willing to try anything!! Yikes )
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600

Skunk!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skunk!!!   Skunk!!! EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 3:38 pm

Amy wrote:
LOL Cheryl! I'm thinking of a certain Dr. Quinn episode right about now, aren't you? Whistle Wink

I wonder what you could be talking about, Amy. Laughing

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Skunk!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skunk!!!   Skunk!!! EmptySat Jun 26, 2010 8:16 pm

How is the skunk situation, Amy?
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136

Skunk!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skunk!!!   Skunk!!! EmptySun Jun 27, 2010 12:24 am

I suppose the smell wouldn't go so easy...It usually last for DAYS without nothing you can do No

Vanesa.

Skunk!!! Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Skunk!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skunk!!!   Skunk!!! EmptySun Jun 27, 2010 12:25 am

It's deodorizing it's way out of here, thanks Rob! Thumbsup The odor is definintely still lingering, but it's at least bearable. Honestly, I have never experienced something so horrible----my eyes, nose, and throat all burned!! Yikes Jenna is doing well---this enzyme stuff that I bought is really working----it's taking several doses, but it's finally to the point that it's really faint on her now.

I don't think I've ever done this much laundry in my life though....everything, especially bedding, smelled like skunk, even though she didn't necessarily 'touch' them. That's how strong this odor is. I washed a bunch of our blankets and sheets, with just detergent, and they came out still smelling like skunk, as if they'd never been washed. I had to use bleach and apple cider vinegar on everything. This has been a nightmare. I really hope she has learned her lesson!!!

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Skunk!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skunk!!!   Skunk!!! EmptySun Jun 27, 2010 12:27 am

Vanesa wrote:
I suppose the smell wouldn't go so easy...It usually last for DAYS without nothing you can do No

Vanesa.

They say it can linger for a month! I can see where that's true....it's got to be in our carpets and furniture fibers and....everything!! scared It's definitely going to take time. Ugh.
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Skunk!!! Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428
Mood : Skunk!!! Happy010

Skunk!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skunk!!!   Skunk!!! EmptySun Jun 27, 2010 2:56 am

{{{Hugs}}} It does linger, doesn't it?? Skunk!!! 279394 Last winter, I'd been visiting a friend of mine, and when I was there, they asked me if I noticed the smell, and did I know what it might be....Well, there was no way to NOT notice the smell, and I said that I thought it might be a skunk. That deeply offended them.....but about three weeks later, the odor hadn't diminished at all......and while they were doing some outdoor work, they found a dead baby skunk at the base of one of their basement window wells. Skunk!!! 279394 Skunk!!! 184143 Even after they removed the dead skunk, the odor lasted and lasted......Thankfully you didn't get such a prolonged exposure, so I'm sure that the smell won't linger nearly as long for you.

You could try sprinkling baking soda on the carpets and letting it set for 15-20 minutes before vacuuming it up.....I read on several sites that it often works with one application.
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Skunk!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skunk!!!   Skunk!!! EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 8:09 am

Thanks Savannah. I'll take the hugs! Smiley Hug It's been a trying time, that's for sure! Lately it's been one thing after another for us---the day before the skunk thing happened, I had a dead battery in the car on the other side of town, with Nick. I stalled out in the middle of a busy intersection. Yikes Last week was definitely not the best. Whistle

I don't really smell the skunk odor outside anymore, so I do think this was a 'one time' thing. Gosh, I hope so anyway. I had some people tell me to be careful of nests, and I just can't imagine them being so dumb to nest where there are dogs constantly outside. So far, the dogs have been able to go outside at night with no problem whatsoever, so I'm hoping it was one skunk who has decided to explore other areas. scared

Savannah wrote:
You could try sprinkling baking soda on the carpets and letting it set for 15-20 minutes before vacuuming it up.....I read on several sites that it often works with one application.

I am definitely going to do that----thanks for the tip! Thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Lori
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Lori

Number of posts : 6032

Skunk!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skunk!!!   Skunk!!! EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 8:23 am

I feel so bad for you, Amy. I hope the smell in the house goes away soon. Oust worked well for what I used it for, since it is supposed to kill/eliminate things in the air.

Skunk!!! Lorike10
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Skunk!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skunk!!!   Skunk!!! EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 8:45 am

Thank you Lori. Smiley Hug
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Skunk!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skunk!!!   Skunk!!! EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 11:22 pm

I'm on doggie bath number 4, in as many days. Yikes I decided to give Chelsey (our Golden Retriever) a bath tonight....she wasn't sprayed by the skunk, but with everything getting cleaned up around here, I figure she may as well be squeaky clean too! Thumbsup Especially since after three baths, Jenna is virtually sparkling! HeeHee
Back to top Go down

Skunk!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skunk!!!   Skunk!!! EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 10:24 pm

my dog once got meeet one in our backyard..and ya we had to wash him to get the smell away. not fun.
Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

Number of posts : 5920

Skunk!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skunk!!!   Skunk!!! EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 10:34 pm

You know Amy, I've spied Fife talking to a skunk salesman in your neighborhood just last week. Might need to investigate......
I'm beginning to wonder if he isn't trying to shut your kiddy business down. ( He gets really jealous when popcicles are bought and he isn't invited.)

Skunk!!! Project2

It is the lack of Christianity that has  brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts.  LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Skunk!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skunk!!!   Skunk!!! EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 12:20 pm

Has the odor lifted yet, Amy?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content