Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Great Escape

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
The Great Escape Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428
Mood : The Great Escape Happy010

The Great Escape Empty
PostSubject: The Great Escape   The Great Escape EmptyThu Aug 16, 2007 12:58 pm

I'm watching a documentary about the real-life story that inspired the movie "The Great Escape". It's completely fascinating. If you haven't seen the movie, it's about a group of WWII prisoners who dug three tunnels (code named Tom, Dick and Harry) 35 feet below ground to enable a mass escape from the prisoner of war camp that they were in. The documentary tracks the movements of archaeologists as they try to uncover the original tunnels. (One of which had never been found by the Nazis) It's amazing how ingenious the men were in building the tools that they needed to do what they were doing. They moved literally TONS of sand right under the noses of their captors. They even installed electrical lighting in the tunnels, and pumped air into the tunnels using empty powdered milk tins! ("Klim" was the name on the tins......."Milk" spelled backwards. LOL) Amazing.......I love history. grinsmiley
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21172
Mood : The Great Escape Purple2

The Great Escape Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Great Escape   The Great Escape EmptyThu Aug 16, 2007 1:34 pm

WOW, must be where Hogan's Heros got all the ideas that they had with the tunnels on the show. :think:

When I read the title, I thought perhaps SammyTweetyTomDickHarry, might have escaped...............oops, sorry, that was the name of the tunnels..........:haha:

The Great Escape Rhonda10The Great Escape Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
JW
Isaiah Edwards
Isaiah Edwards
JW

Number of posts : 9016
Mood : The Great Escape Happy011

The Great Escape Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Great Escape   The Great Escape EmptyThu Aug 16, 2007 2:38 pm

Yeah Same here I thought tweety would ecape

The Great Escape Jacobk10The Great Escape Jacob210
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
The Great Escape Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428
Mood : The Great Escape Happy010

The Great Escape Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Great Escape   The Great Escape EmptyThu Aug 16, 2007 8:00 pm

:Hahaha: Don't give him any ideas! The cat would appreciate it, I'm sure, but.............
Back to top Go down
HarrisonCrosby4387
THE #1 Survivor fan
THE #1 Survivor fan
HarrisonCrosby4387

Number of posts : 4828
Mood : The Great Escape Happy011

The Great Escape Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Great Escape   The Great Escape EmptyFri Aug 17, 2007 7:43 pm

Savannah wrote:
I'm watching a documentary about the real-life story that inspired the movie "The Great Escape". It's completely fascinating. If you haven't seen the movie, it's about a group of WWII prisoners who dug three tunnels (code named Tom, Dick and Harry) 35 feet below ground to enable a mass escape from the prisoner of war camp that they were in. The documentary tracks the movements of archaeologists as they try to uncover the original tunnels. (One of which had never been found by the Nazis) It's amazing how ingenious the men were in building the tools that they needed to do what they were doing. They moved literally TONS of sand right under the noses of their captors. They even installed electrical lighting in the tunnels, and pumped air into the tunnels using empty powdered milk tins! ("Klim" was the name on the tins......."Milk" spelled backwards. LOL) Amazing.......I love history. grinsmiley

Wow, that's amazing they did that without anyone finding out! How?

Beckie

LETS GO PENS!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Great Escape Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Great Escape   The Great Escape Empty

Back to top Go down

The Great Escape
Page 1 of 1