Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Kid Nation

Go down 
+6
Savannah
Carol
LIWnut
georgiagirl1993
Lori
HarrisonCrosby4387
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
HarrisonCrosby4387
THE #1 Survivor fan
THE #1 Survivor fan
HarrisonCrosby4387

Number of posts : 4828
Mood : Kid Nation Happy011

Kid Nation Empty
PostSubject: Kid Nation   Kid Nation EmptyMon Sep 24, 2007 3:31 pm

I was intrigued so I watched this show. It was kinds of boring. Anyone else watch it?

Beckie

LETS GO PENS!
Back to top Go down
Lori
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Lori

Number of posts : 6032

Kid Nation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kid Nation   Kid Nation EmptyMon Sep 24, 2007 4:26 pm

I watched it. I will agree that parts of it were boring. There's bound to be lots of tension and arguing in the next few weeks though, not that that is very entertaining.

Kid Nation Lorike10
Back to top Go down
HarrisonCrosby4387
THE #1 Survivor fan
THE #1 Survivor fan
HarrisonCrosby4387

Kid Nation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kid Nation   Kid Nation EmptyMon Sep 24, 2007 4:27 pm

Lol, true and true again.

Beckie

LETS GO PENS!
Back to top Go down
georgiagirl1993
Town Business Owner
Town Business Owner
georgiagirl1993

Number of posts : 1585
Mood : Kid Nation Bokmal10

Kid Nation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kid Nation   Kid Nation EmptyMon Sep 24, 2007 5:07 pm

I didn't get to watch it, but the commercials looked somewhat boring.......

Kid Nation Keeper
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." -Walt Disney
Back to top Go down
LIWnut
Proverbs 3:5-6
LIWnut

Number of posts : 2539
Mood : Kid Nation Cloud910

Kid Nation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kid Nation   Kid Nation EmptyMon Sep 24, 2007 5:27 pm

I enjoyed it. It was hard to watch all of the crying goin on but I think it will be interesting to watch. The preview last week had the kids arguing so I don't know how long the 4 leaders will keep their seats but we'll see.
Let's see if kids can do any better than adults do in getting things done.

Kid Nation MarilynKeeper Kid Nation Bookclub2
Back to top Go down
Lori
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Lori

Kid Nation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kid Nation   Kid Nation EmptyWed Sep 26, 2007 9:40 pm

I forget how the leaders lose there seats. Do they all have to be voted out? I'd at least get rid of the 9 year old whiner. She doesn't deserve to be on the council in my opinion.

Kid Nation Lorike10
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665
Mood : Kid Nation Happy010

Kid Nation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kid Nation   Kid Nation EmptyThu Sep 27, 2007 2:32 pm

I have been watching the show, it's very interesting lol. Yesterday they had an episode where they had to kill 2 chickens...
It was interesting to see the reactions of several kids.

Kid Nation Horses10
Back to top Go down
HarrisonCrosby4387
THE #1 Survivor fan
THE #1 Survivor fan
HarrisonCrosby4387

Kid Nation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kid Nation   Kid Nation EmptyThu Sep 27, 2007 8:29 pm

Please don't go into any details of how they killed the chickens. Blue 🤢 I turned the tv off during that part.

That little girl Taylor shouldn't be on the council. She is typical of the little brat girls I went to school with always thinking they are better than everyone. banghead

Beckie

LETS GO PENS!
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Kid Nation Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428

Kid Nation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kid Nation   Kid Nation EmptyThu Sep 27, 2007 8:34 pm

I'm in the minority, because I'm very uncomfortable with the basic concept of the show. The children aren't old enough to have the life skills necessary to decide whether they want to be in a reality show like that. They may THINK they know, but they don't understand the true reality of it. They also NEED their parents' daily guidance. This is their life - not a game. What happens there, behind the scenes as well as on screen, can have life-long implications. The contract the children and parents signed gives indication of that itself, in more than one area ........but here's one:

" As is standard in such agreements, the parents and the children agreed not to hold the producers and CBS responsible if their children died or were injured, if they received inadequate medical care, or if their housing was unsafe and caused injury.
But while such agreements might be standard for adult participants in a reality show, it also takes on a different tone when the minor and the parent are being held solely responsible for any “emotional distress, illness, sexually transmitted diseases, H.I.V. and pregnancy” that might occur if the child “chooses to enter into an intimate relationship of any nature with another participant or any other person.” "

It's just not wise. These kids could really end up paying a high price.

And what is the point behind forcing them to kill animals?
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Kid Nation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kid Nation   Kid Nation EmptyFri Sep 28, 2007 11:32 am

Savannah wrote:
And what is the point behind forcing them to kill animals?

The kids did have enough food to eat for the rest of the time they were there. They weren't forced because they took a vote and most of them wanted to eat meat. One of the girls was having a hard time with it but she chose to BE at the place where they were going to kill the chickens, she didn't have to be, she left towards the end, but I'm sure she did enjoy the chicken soup lol.

Luckily, one of the 15 year old kids had worked with a butcher and knew exactly what to do and how to kill the chicken. It was good he was there. The kill was fast and clean, he made the rest of the kids feel comfortable helping prepare it.

In reality a lot of kids (especially the ones living on farms) have watched a chicken being killed and sometimes helped.

Kid Nation Horses10
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Kid Nation Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428

Kid Nation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kid Nation   Kid Nation EmptyFri Sep 28, 2007 11:55 am

I do know that there are lots of kids who've seen chickens killed. But I find it rather repulsive that the producers included that as part of a tv show that's specifically to entertain people. It isn't necessary - especially if there was already enough food there. (And with children involved, FOOD shouldn't be a part of the game. They should have nutritious meals readily available. Their health isn't something to play with) Those kids know that if they don't do all of the things that are expected, they're not going to win. (Who knows what pressure their own parents may be exerting just for the money!) Or they'll be called whiners, or babies - or whatever. Even if they don't really want to do something, they're going to feel extreme pressure to do it. And knowing that it's going to be on tv, where everyone will see whether they follow through or not only adds to their pressure. And there's no parental advice, or comfort to help them make wise decisions. I just really have a big problem with that show, because it has the very real potential for hurting children.
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Kid Nation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kid Nation   Kid Nation EmptyFri Sep 28, 2007 2:35 pm

I agree Savannah in that there WAS enough food but most of the kids did not want to keep eating that same kind of food.
As far as peer pressure... it's like that in the schools in the real world... I agree there is not a tv in your face but there are your friends, there are the kids who you are trying to belong to, everyone is waiting to see what decision you will take... school is rough sometimes. When I was 12 I was a loner for like a week due to a bad decision I made because of peer pressure... but in the end my friends forgave me and all was well again. I wish that the peer pressure I had to deal with was to kill or not to kill a chicken instead of what I did get. grinsmiley

I think the kids are safe. Even though we don’t see them, there are a lot of adults around and present on the set at all times. There are doctors to give medical and psychological help when needed, and even a chef if the kids REALLY need it. There is even an animal safety expert on the set so that means that they would not have allowed the kids to run around chasing a chicken with knives trying to slice the head off. I saw the kills and it was very clean. A county sheriff also went to the set to investigate and found no evidence of neglect or abuse.

I don’t think they thought they were playing a game when it comes to food… they just wanted to eat meat and chose to kill a chicken to eat it. If you remember the movie “Love Comes Softly”, Missie (who is about 9 or 10) tells Marty that it’s too bad she (missie) is going on an errand with her Pa because she could make a mean fried chicken. Laura I think makes some chicken for her Pa when Caroline & Mary are away. So that just shows you that kids back then had to learn to hunt for food and kill for food in a respectable manner of course.
I think it’s good for kids to know where food comes from; it’s good that they don’t realize it just magically appears on the shelves in the supermarket. Maybe that experience will teach them to value food more and not waste it.

Also, I think the show is a like a big summer camp adventure, you have to rough it and deal with other kids and all kinds of situations. A lot of kids today are too spoiled with having a lot of things at their fingertips. Last episode showed the kids how important water is. The pipe was frozen and the kids were saying how they realize how important water is for everything. I liked seeing the kids ingenuity, their strengths and how they come together to get things done. Also remember, kids are always given the chance to go home if they want to. The girl who had problem with the chickens being killed had thought about going home but in the end decided to stay. I would love to do that show if I was a kid.

Kid Nation Horses10
Back to top Go down
Misti
Red Hummingbird
Red Hummingbird
Misti

Number of posts : 4112

Kid Nation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kid Nation   Kid Nation EmptyFri Sep 28, 2007 4:20 pm

I am enjoying the show the more it goes along. I also think that it is good for the kids, this experience, to where they can learn to be self reliant and independent. My 9 yr. old watched the chicken part and it didn't bother him because he was here when we killed chickens one time and put them in our freezer.

I can say that Taylor (the council member) the oldest 15-yr. old boy (that showed them how to kill the chickens) and the boy that's about 11, curly haired (the one in the preview for next week that screeches about a storm) get on my nerves.

I like the boy that got the gold star this week and the girl that got the gold star last week. Both seems very responsible and helpful to the other kids. It was so sweet, the boy that got the gold star this week, saying he was giving it to his parents.

Kid Nation HummerKid Nation MistiKeeperKid Nation Bookclub5Kid Nation Rose
"I would fight for you - I'd lie for you - walk the wire for you - ya I'd die for you..."
Back to top Go down
HarrisonCrosby4387
THE #1 Survivor fan
THE #1 Survivor fan
HarrisonCrosby4387

Kid Nation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kid Nation   Kid Nation EmptyFri Sep 28, 2007 4:53 pm

There are a ton of crew members around. There are about 300 people on the crew for Survivor. So there would probably be a lot around there too. They even have medical teams as well around.

Beckie

LETS GO PENS!
Back to top Go down
LIWnut
LIWnut

Number of posts : 2539
Mood : Kid Nation Cloud910

Kid Nation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kid Nation   Kid Nation EmptyWed Oct 03, 2007 7:58 pm

Wow, what a great episode tonight. I cried!! That phone call got me. Then the kids threw a birthday party, I'm a big sap, lol.
Great show. Go Kids Go!!

Kid Nation MarilynKeeper Kid Nation Bookclub2
Back to top Go down
Misti
Red Hummingbird
Red Hummingbird
Misti

Number of posts : 4112

Kid Nation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kid Nation   Kid Nation EmptyWed Oct 03, 2007 9:47 pm

I am glad that that little girl got the gold star. My opinion of Greg isn't high and its getting lower all the time. There is more than earning the gold star than work and Greg needs to learn that. Good episode tonight!

Kid Nation HummerKid Nation MistiKeeperKid Nation Bookclub5Kid Nation Rose
"I would fight for you - I'd lie for you - walk the wire for you - ya I'd die for you..."
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Kid Nation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kid Nation   Kid Nation EmptyThu Oct 04, 2007 10:28 am

I was glad the little girl won the star too. So sweet.

Did you see how Taylor cried and said she was sorry? In the scenes for the next episode though, it looks like she's being a brat again...

Kid Nation Horses10
Back to top Go down
HarrisonCrosby4387
THE #1 Survivor fan
THE #1 Survivor fan
HarrisonCrosby4387

Kid Nation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kid Nation   Kid Nation EmptyThu Oct 04, 2007 5:11 pm

I felt like I was watching Survivor with the challenge tonight. It was great. I balled when Mallory won the star and called home.

Greg should be kicked off that show. Those little 8 and 9 year olds don't need to be hearing that kind of language. I think he has problems. It seems like he might be from a broken home. I feel that the crying from Little Miss Priss Taylor was fake!

Beckie

LETS GO PENS!
Back to top Go down
rana
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
rana

Number of posts : 119

Kid Nation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kid Nation   Kid Nation EmptyThu Oct 04, 2007 6:52 pm

I don't know what kind of show this is, but from what I read here, it seems to be kind of a mix of Big Brother and Lord of the Fies...
If I had children, I wouldn't like to see them neither in the one situation nor in the other. No
I guess, if the show would be aired here in Germany, I wouldn't watch ist.

Kid Nation Ranake10
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Kid Nation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kid Nation   Kid Nation EmptyThu Oct 04, 2007 11:47 pm

No, it's not a lord of the flies thing... lol

Here is a video that tells you what goes down:

KID NATION

Kid Nation Horses10
Back to top Go down
Rob
Nip it in the bud!
Nip it in the bud!
Rob

Number of posts : 62619
Mood : Kid Nation Goodsi10

Kid Nation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kid Nation   Kid Nation EmptyFri Oct 05, 2007 12:02 pm

I loved it when Mallory got the star! It broke my heart when she was crying because she was afraid of Greg. I kept hoping some of the older boys would step up and put him in his place.

It reminds me of my first day in freshman gym class. I remember the coach saying to us: "Sometimes bullies are a problem. But the good kids in this class far outnumber the bad ones, so if someone hassles you, don't come to me - just get a group of the good kids together and beat the crap out of him."

And there was never a problem. Because the bullies understood that if they picked on a weak kid, it wouldn't mean a wimpy punishment like a phone call to their parents or a trip to the principal's office. It meant that a group of very big guys would be waiting behnd the gym to administer a lesson on good behavior. :box:
Back to top Go down
Lori
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Lori

Kid Nation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kid Nation   Kid Nation EmptySun Oct 07, 2007 7:09 pm

I think Greg blew his chance for a gold star. I thought he deserved it last week. I can understand him being upset, but there are more gold stars to be given out. Why blow up like that and risk not getting one?

Kid Nation Lorike10
Back to top Go down
HarrisonCrosby4387
THE #1 Survivor fan
THE #1 Survivor fan
HarrisonCrosby4387

Kid Nation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kid Nation   Kid Nation EmptySun Oct 14, 2007 7:31 pm

I broke down when Cody left and his little buddy broke down. It was so sad!

I thought that was so funny and cute that Cody was crying for his little girlfriend. It was like watching a gown man looking at his wife's pic or something. I can't believe that little kid had a gf! :haha:

And Morgan is such a little sweetheart. These kids must have something special and that is why they got picked. Some of them are so smart!

Beckie

LETS GO PENS!
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Kid Nation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kid Nation   Kid Nation EmptySun Oct 14, 2007 10:11 pm

MattLabMyLove wrote:
thought that was so funny and cute that Cody was crying for his little girlfriend. It was like watching a gown man looking at his wife's pic or something. I can't believe that little kid had a gf! :haha:

Me too Beckie Laughing

Kid Nation Horses10
Back to top Go down
HarrisonCrosby4387
THE #1 Survivor fan
THE #1 Survivor fan
HarrisonCrosby4387

Kid Nation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kid Nation   Kid Nation EmptyMon Oct 15, 2007 4:48 pm

He was so cute.

I hate to see the kids go home, but I know it is extremely hard for them. Especially the little ones.

Beckie

LETS GO PENS!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Kid Nation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kid Nation   Kid Nation Empty

Back to top Go down

Kid Nation
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next