Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Storm Names

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Lily
"Beautiful Life"
Storm Names LilyRank2
Lily

Number of posts : 6784
Mood : Storm Names Vianne10

Storm Names Empty
PostSubject: Storm Names   Storm Names EmptySun Oct 28, 2007 12:46 pm

:fyi: Type

Each year, hurricans and tropical storms are named alphabetically, alternating male and female names starting with A and excluding Q, U, and W. If all 21 alphabetical names are used up, additional names are drawn in order from the Greek: Alpha, Beta, Gramma, Delta, etc.

When detailed storm information has to be exchanged between weather stations and ships at sea, short distinctive names are less error-prone than identifying them by latitudinal and longitudinal axes. But the custom of naming storms exclusively for women ended in 1978, when names from both genders began to be alternated.

Six lists of names are recycled every six years. So far in 2007, there's been Andrea, Barry, Chantal, Dean, Erin, Felix, Gabrielle, Humberto, Ingrid, Jerry and Karen. That leaves Lorenzo, Melissa, Noel, Olga, Pablo and five remaining names up for grabs.

If a storm is particularly devastating, its name is retired from the list. Maybe you'll recognize Dennis, Katrina, Rita, Stan, Wilma (2005), Charley, Frances, Ivan, Jeanne (2004), Fabian, Isabel, Juan (2003), Isidore, Lili (2002), Allison, Iris, Michelle (2001), as storms whose names have been retired.

"Within the heart of every stray, lies the singular desire to be loved."
Back to top Go down

Storm Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Storm Names   Storm Names EmptySun Oct 28, 2007 5:05 pm

wow
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Storm Names Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428
Mood : Storm Names Happy010

Storm Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Storm Names   Storm Names EmptySun Oct 28, 2007 7:26 pm

Interesting, Lily! I don't recognize a few of the storms that were retired - but I DO remember some of them!
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136
Mood : Storm Names Bokmal10

Storm Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Storm Names   Storm Names EmptySun Oct 28, 2007 7:47 pm

Thank you , Lily...It's a very interesting new. However, I never liked that storms, hurricanes and such were named with human names. Some time ago, feminists made a trouble about them being named after women names. Yep. They were right. But I also think it's unjust to name them after male names. Storms are storms, and they are awful.

In the past they have no name. People used to speak about the "1880's storm" and so on. I like it much better than having to call it "Pablo" or "Sofía", when we have people with these names who are excellent people. mad

Vanesa.

Storm Names Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Storm Names Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428
Mood : Storm Names Happy010

Storm Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Storm Names   Storm Names EmptySun Oct 28, 2007 7:48 pm

I agree, Vanesa. I'd hate to have my name associated with a devastating storm that killed people and left others homeless.
Back to top Go down
Lily
"Beautiful Life"
Storm Names LilyRank2
Lily

Number of posts : 6784
Mood : Storm Names Vianne10

Storm Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Storm Names   Storm Names EmptySun Oct 28, 2007 9:02 pm

Thanks. I came upon this article in one of my postal newsletters I receive and thought it was interesting.

I don't recognized some of the retired names either, only some I remember. I can only imagine the reason they named the storms after people's names is to make it easier for us to remember or to talk about. I don't see any fascination of talking about storms unless you're a meteorologist. ROTFL

I agree with you too Vanesa, for naming storms after good people like us. Just look what happened to my name (I know, it's a different spelling)!! :Hahaha:

"Within the heart of every stray, lies the singular desire to be loved."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Storm Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Storm Names   Storm Names Empty

Back to top Go down

Storm Names
Page 1 of 1