Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

"FOUR EYES"

Go down 
+16
littlehouselover
ChristineLovesLHOTP
Honeybee
amyk
Krissy
alexczarn
Prairie Dweller
Coach Jon
jes9
Vanesa
Savannah
Farmer Girl
ChristinaAL
Debbie
JW
Carol
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665
Mood : "FOUR EYES" Happy010

"FOUR EYES" Empty
PostSubject: "FOUR EYES"   "FOUR EYES" EmptyThu Feb 08, 2007 11:30 am

“Four Eyes”

"FOUR EYES" PURSM

Mary is beginning to do worse in school because she has a hard time reading the blackboard. When Mary first gets her new glasses, she really likes them. The other school children begin to tease her. She purposely loses her glasses, until she realizes that her teacher, who wears glasses, has a boyfriend.

"FOUR EYES" FourEyes1

"FOUR EYES" FourEyes2

"FOUR EYES" FourEyes3

"FOUR EYES" Flowers

"FOUR EYES" FourEyes4

"FOUR EYES" FourEyes5

"FOUR EYES" FourEyes6

"FOUR EYES" Report Another one of my favorite episodes. Kids in school can be mean sometimes, I hated it when they made fun of Mary. Nobody would stick up for her, only Laura. Nellie would put crazy ideas into Mary’s head and her being young, it was easy to be influenced by it. I’m glad Ms. Beadle’s boyfriend came around when he did. It was perfect timing… Mary realized how silly she had been feeling, got her glasses and beat Nellie in the history examination. Heehee :haha:

"FOUR EYES" Horses10
Back to top Go down
JW
Isaiah Edwards
Isaiah Edwards
JW

Number of posts : 9016
Mood : "FOUR EYES" Happy011

"FOUR EYES" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "FOUR EYES"   "FOUR EYES" EmptyThu Feb 08, 2007 4:32 pm

I Like this Episode but i felt sorry for Mary

"FOUR EYES" Jacobk10"FOUR EYES" Jacob210
Back to top Go down
Debbie
Mom Of 2 Kitties
Mom Of 2 Kitties

Number of posts : 3822
Mood : "FOUR EYES" Xmassm4

"FOUR EYES" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "FOUR EYES"   "FOUR EYES" EmptyThu Feb 08, 2007 4:48 pm

I really liked this episode! Children can be so cruel.
Back to top Go down
ChristinaAL
Little House Lady
Little House Lady
ChristinaAL

Number of posts : 2761

"FOUR EYES" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "FOUR EYES"   "FOUR EYES" EmptyFri Feb 09, 2007 1:09 am

I love this episode! I was (and still am occasionally LOL), a "four eyes", but I never had anyone torment me as much as they were to Mary. I felt so bad for her, but I was glad that in the end, she did what she wanted and didn't care what anyone thought, and beat Nellie for the history award!

"FOUR EYES" ChristinaKeeper2 "FOUR EYES" 10bChristina

"It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong."
Back to top Go down
Farmer Girl
Li'l Miss Milk Maid
Li'l Miss Milk Maid
Farmer Girl

Number of posts : 2578
Mood : "FOUR EYES" Goodsi10

"FOUR EYES" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "FOUR EYES"   "FOUR EYES" EmptyWed Jan 23, 2008 1:23 pm

This episode always makes me want to cry.....I feel so sorry for Mary, esp. knowing that she'll go blind later....I do wish Laura had punched Willie for being so mean to Laura.

"FOUR EYES" FGKeeper

~ Home is the nicest word there is ~

"FOUR EYES" Little
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
"FOUR EYES" Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428

"FOUR EYES" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "FOUR EYES"   "FOUR EYES" EmptyWed Jan 23, 2008 1:28 pm

I like this episode a lot, too. I love it that Mary was able to put the taunting behind her, pull herself together and win! I have to wonder, though.........Don't they have any mirrors?? I mean, my stars! The child is gorgeous, and she's worried that a tiny pair of wire framed glasses are going to keep her from being attractive? Obviously, she had no clue as to how beautiful she was.

I LOVE,too, the fact that Laura stuck up for her sister. Good for her!
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

"FOUR EYES" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "FOUR EYES"   "FOUR EYES" EmptyWed Jan 23, 2008 2:42 pm

Savannah wrote:
.Don't they have any mirrors?? I mean, my stars! The child is gorgeous, and she's worried that a tiny pair of wire framed glasses are going to keep her from being attractive? Obviously, she had no clue as to how beautiful she was.

:haha: Mary was so pretty but she acted like she wasn't aware of how pretty she was... that's what made her very likable to other people.
I don't think the glasses bothered her that much since she was really happy when she got home and showed them to her Ma. She was more upset at how mean the kids were being about it and getting crazy ideas into her head that unfortunately got to her. Blue

I remember in my 5th grade class, they used to call this girl 4 eyes... well then one of the popular girls started wearing glasses and they stopped any '4 eyes' name calling altogether lol

"FOUR EYES" Horses10
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
"FOUR EYES" Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428

"FOUR EYES" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "FOUR EYES"   "FOUR EYES" EmptyWed Jan 23, 2008 8:57 pm

Carol wrote:
Savannah wrote:
.Don't they have any mirrors?? I mean, my stars! The child is gorgeous, and she's worried that a tiny pair of wire framed glasses are going to keep her from being attractive? Obviously, she had no clue as to how beautiful she was.

:haha: Mary was so pretty but she acted like she wasn't aware of how pretty she was... that's what made her very likable to other people.

Yep. I agree. I've known people like that, who are either truly beautiful people, or absolutely amazing people, and just are completely unaware of how talented or brilliant or amazing - or whatever - they really are.

That's funny about the popular girl and the glasses. grinsmiley
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136
Mood : "FOUR EYES" Bokmal10

"FOUR EYES" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "FOUR EYES"   "FOUR EYES" EmptyThu Jan 24, 2008 2:45 pm

There is a little mistake in this epie...Mary seems to be suffering from myopy, since she wouldn't see what Miss beadle would write on the blackboard. She doesn't seem to have any problem reading from her books. THis is what happens in myopy. You are able to see close things, but experiences some difficulty with too far away ones; you sees them blurry or moved, and you only can see them neat when you narrows your eyelids a little. I know what I'm talking about for this is exactly my problem. Of course, glasses would correct this problem. But myopy exiges you wear your glasses all time, for you need them all time. It's different with people with only has some trouble when they needs to see close things. These needs their glasses ONLY FOR READING. So, they can go to the street without glasses, and only need to wear them in order to read.

Well...In the show, after this epie, Mary goes always around WITHOUT glasses, but when she enters to shcool and she prepares herself to read or to write, she dutifully puts her glasses on...So...Did they suffer myopy or hypermethropy? :think: Just another "Little House" contradiction...

Vanesa.

"FOUR EYES" Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

"FOUR EYES" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "FOUR EYES"   "FOUR EYES" EmptyThu Jan 24, 2008 3:37 pm

Actually Mary wore her glasses all the time... when she first got them, she was excited talking to her Pa about the things she could see... the birds in the sky and I'm sure was amazed to realize that when looking at trees, it wasn't just a huge green thing that covered the trees but instead individual leaves Laughing . There is a scene when Mary is outside walking to school, the day after she had gotten her glasses... she has them on and that is when Willie teased her the first time....

EDITED TO ADD: Oooops! I see what you mean Vanesa... you meant AFTER that episode.... and yeah, you're right... Mary doesn't seem to wear her glasses so much outside anymore...

"FOUR EYES" Horses10
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

"FOUR EYES" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "FOUR EYES"   "FOUR EYES" EmptyFri Jan 25, 2008 2:17 pm

Yes. Exactly! IN this epie, Mary acts exactly like a person with myopy troubles should act. I know it very well, for it was my problem. And I remember more than well being amazed about how trees really lookes when I was my glasses on, and now, I never put them off...only to bath and to sleep! grinsmiley Of course, I don't need them to read.

I was speaking AFTER this episode, when she seems use them only to read...Oh, these writers! :think:

Vanesa.

"FOUR EYES" Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
jes9
Walnut Grove Resident
Walnut Grove Resident
jes9

Number of posts : 1066

"FOUR EYES" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "FOUR EYES"   "FOUR EYES" EmptySat Feb 02, 2008 9:05 am

I like this one a lot. Mary's character developed quite a bit here. She let Nellie get to her, but, thanks in part to Miss Beadle's beau, learned what's really important. I liked how Charles went easy on Mary. He could have come down hard on her for lying about losing her glasses, but once he understood what happened and how badly Mary felt about lying, he decided that love and support were more important than punishment at the time.

"FOUR EYES" JohnKeeper
Back to top Go down

"FOUR EYES" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "FOUR EYES"   "FOUR EYES" EmptySun May 18, 2008 10:02 pm

kids can be so mean..I got called four eyes in school!
Back to top Go down
Coach Jon
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler
Coach Jon

Number of posts : 465
Location : The Harriet Oleson Institute for the Advancement of Blind Children

"FOUR EYES" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "FOUR EYES"   "FOUR EYES" EmptyTue May 20, 2008 10:06 am

Carol wrote:
"FOUR EYES" FourEyes4

Coach Jon's Safety Tip: If you hit someone with your hand drawn back like this you will likely break your wrist upon impact.

"FOUR EYES" NelliesRestaurantAdvertisement
"Only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain."
Back to top Go down

"FOUR EYES" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "FOUR EYES"   "FOUR EYES" EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 10:46 pm

never knew that!
Back to top Go down
Prairie Dweller
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
Prairie Dweller

Number of posts : 853

"FOUR EYES" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "FOUR EYES"   "FOUR EYES" EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 6:24 pm

lol Thanks for the tip, Jon! I'll remember that the next time I threaten to punch someone. :b

I think I was six when I first got my glasses and someone called me four eyes and I had no idea what it meant! ~laughs~

I do like this episode as it clearly shows how hurtful some teasing can be.

I would have liked to see Miss Beadle's lawyer in another episode! I guess he got stuck in Springfield.
I wonder what the town would have thought of Miss Beadle's lawyer?

I like it too that they had Mary confess to Charles.

"FOUR EYES" PDKeeper
Back to top Go down
http://avonleavignettes.com
alexczarn
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life

Number of posts : 22999

"FOUR EYES" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "FOUR EYES"   "FOUR EYES" EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 6:43 pm

Vanesa wrote:

I was speaking AFTER this episode, when she seems use them only to read...Oh, these writers! :think:

Vanesa.

Crazy writers. Ranting

Coach Jon wrote:
Carol wrote:
"FOUR EYES" FourEyes4

Coach Jon's Safety Tip: If you hit someone with your hand drawn back like this you will likely break your wrist upon impact.

laugh3

OK thanks!

"FOUR EYES" Alexke11
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

Number of posts : 45733
Mood : "FOUR EYES" Headac10

"FOUR EYES" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "FOUR EYES"   "FOUR EYES" EmptyWed Mar 09, 2011 11:22 am

Kids are very mean when they see another kid that looks different. I don't blame mary for being upset.Know how it feels.

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
amyk
Frontier Traveler
Frontier Traveler

Number of posts : 540

"FOUR EYES" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "FOUR EYES"   "FOUR EYES" EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 3:56 pm

I forgot to mention with the first episode of season 1 that the ending music seems different a little bit....noticed that again tonight....

But now for this episode. Yes, it is a really good one, even if it again has medical mistakes. I think they needed to consult more medical experts, as they seem to often have medical mistakes, like the rat-carried typhus being so deadly....but anyway.....

This episode makes some good points without being too melodramatic. I'm surprised Miss Beadle did not realize earlier that Mary was having problems seeing, especially since she herself wears glasses. Like someone else wrote, although this is a good episode, it does make me very sad to think about Mary going blind in the future. I wonder if the optometry equipment was just made for this show or if they just have old-time stuff like that in props departments or what.

I'm surprised the whole class called Mary "Four Eyes" right in front of Miss Beadle, since Miss Beadle wears glasses. Miss Beadle's beau was cute, but I'm also kind of surprised she would let him kiss her right there in the classroom during the lunch break. Seems somewhat scandalous I guess for the times to me. I love it that not only was he nice-looking, but even a lawyer! And then isn't it ironic that Mary ended up with (eventually) a nice-looking lawyer!

The kids seemed quite mean, but I also suppose that they did not often (if ever) see any kids wearing glasses in their small, relatively poor community. I bet that set the Ingalls family back a bit, and I bet a lot of people just could not afford specialized eye care like that back then.
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

"FOUR EYES" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "FOUR EYES"   "FOUR EYES" EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 10:17 pm

amyk wrote:
I'm surprised Miss Beadle did not realize earlier that Mary was having problems seeing, especially since she herself wears glasses.

Good point Amyk. I was also surprised in Season 3, when Miss Beadle did not recognize the poison Oak from Nelly & Willie's project and Laura herself could when they first saw it lol

"FOUR EYES" Horses10
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

"FOUR EYES" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "FOUR EYES"   "FOUR EYES" EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 11:49 pm

I was always puzzled by this episode...For Mary seems to have trouble in watching far leters and things. This is myopia. It's what I suffer from since I was almost a teen. You have no trouble seeing close letters or things, but far away objects are seen as very blurred by a myopic. That ¡s the reason for Mary couldn't see the letters on the blackboard properly, or even the words her father had written over a paper when he commands her to stand far from him and trying to read it...But when the doctor gave her glasses, she used them ONLY TO READ from books, make her homework and so on. When she plays outside and doesn't write she is not wearing glasses... scratchead . I can read without any trouble without my glasses, even little print, but I can't see far away things.

Smetimes, teachers doesn't realize what is going on with their pupils. My teachers never ralized I was myopic, and even myself didn't! I asked to myself what was happening t my sight, since I can saw so well from close and almost nothing from far...Until I read a ntice in a book, and then I realized I was a myopic. grinsmiley

Vanesa.

"FOUR EYES" Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
Honeybee
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Honeybee

Number of posts : 3565

"FOUR EYES" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "FOUR EYES"   "FOUR EYES" EmptyMon Jun 27, 2011 7:51 am

good episode. So true, kids can be so mean. I wear glasses. I think, I was called for eyes, when I was younger.

wootwoot
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

"FOUR EYES" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "FOUR EYES"   "FOUR EYES" EmptyMon Aug 01, 2011 4:36 pm

Buttercup wrote:
good episode. So true, kids can be so mean. I wear glasses. I think, I was called for eyes, when I was younger.

I think every kid is.

“Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it... Yet.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

"FOUR EYES" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "FOUR EYES"   "FOUR EYES" EmptyMon Aug 01, 2011 6:42 pm

No; not every children. I think some children are bad and others are good. Most f them uses to be smetimes good and smetimes bad... scratchead

Vanesa.

"FOUR EYES" Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
Krissy
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Krissy

"FOUR EYES" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "FOUR EYES"   "FOUR EYES" EmptyMon Aug 01, 2011 8:09 pm

oh,I know that.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

"FOUR EYES" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "FOUR EYES"   "FOUR EYES" Empty

Back to top Go down

"FOUR EYES"
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next