Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A couple more recipes

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
A couple more recipes Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54425
Mood : A couple more recipes Happy010

A couple more recipes Empty
PostSubject: A couple more recipes   A couple more recipes EmptyThu Nov 15, 2007 1:59 pm

These are a couple of recipes that are SO handy for making quick pies, while still having them completely homemade. The crust recipe is the BEST pie crust you could find - it has won ribbons, but the real evidence is that people always save the outer crust til last, and eat it by itself. (I didn't make this recipe up, so I can say all of that without being boastful! LOL Anyone can make awesome pie crusts with that recipe!) And the "Pie in a jar" is apple pie filling that is DEEEE-licious.

So, here are a couple more recipes that nobody asked for, but I'm sharing anyway. :haha:

Apple Pie in a Jar

4 and a half cups sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
3 Tbls. lemon juice
1 cup cornstarch
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
10 cups water
Peeled and sliced apples, to fill seven quart jars.

Peel and slice apples. Mix all ingredients EXCEPT lemon juice and apples in a pan. Put on medium heat until bubbling and "syrupy". Add lemon juice. Fill hot clean quart jars with sliced apples, packing tightly. Pour hot syrup into jars, over apple slices. Put on lids and rings. Process in hot water bath for 25 minutes, or in pressure cooker for 10 minutes at 10 pounds pressure.

You can use the same recipe for peaches, but omit the spices. Also for cherries, omitting spices, and adding 1 tsp. almond flavoring to syrup after removing from heat.

Moist Pie Crust Mix

Ingredients:
5 lb Unbleached Flour
3 lb (1 Can) Veg. Shortening
1/4 c Unbleached Flour
2 tb Salt
3 c Cold Water

Directions:
Combine flour and salt in a very large bowl. Mix well. With pastry blender cut in shortening until evenly distributed. Mixture will resemble cornmeal in texture. Add cold water all at once and mix lightly until the flour absorbs all the water and texture resembles putty. If dough is too sticky, sprinkle a little four over the top and mix until dough barely holds together in the bowl. Divide dough into 10 oblong rolls. Wrap each roll well with plastic wrap and aluminum foil. Freeze and label. Use within 12 months.

It doesn't take a long time for it to thaw when you want to use them, either.
Back to top Go down
Lily
"Beautiful Life"
A couple more recipes LilyRank2
Lily

Number of posts : 6784
Mood : A couple more recipes Vianne10

PostSubject: Re: A couple more recipes   A couple more recipes EmptyThu Nov 15, 2007 7:45 pm

Cool Savannah!! Thank you for the recipes, sounds very easy to make.

"Within the heart of every stray, lies the singular desire to be loved."
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136
Mood : A couple more recipes Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: A couple more recipes   A couple more recipes EmptyThu Nov 15, 2007 11:12 pm

Yummy, Savannah! I will try these! They sound delicious!

Oh, people...and what about opening a recipe corner? It will be cool! I have some good (but really good) recipes to post there. I'm a fanatic of folkloric food of all countries of the world and have a quite wide collection of these kind of recipes. :think:

Vanesa.

A couple more recipes Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
pamh36
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
pamh36

Number of posts : 5900

PostSubject: Re: A couple more recipes   A couple more recipes EmptyFri Nov 16, 2007 11:22 am

Sounds delicious!!! Thanks for sharing the recipes!

A couple more recipes PamKeeper
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A couple more recipes   A couple more recipes Empty

Back to top Go down

A couple more recipes
Page 1 of 1