Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

what do you say???

Go down 
+9
Vanesa
Lori
LIWnut
EllieJane
Savannah
Lily
georgiagirl1993
JW
emilyanneoftheprairie
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

what do you say??? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: what do you say???   what do you say??? - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 23, 2007 1:03 am

I do know this much. To me, and my beliefs that was instilled in me, Jesus is the REASON for the season. NO one else. JMO, and it's what I believe.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what do you say???   what do you say??? - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 23, 2007 9:51 am

Good!!
Back to top Go down
carolineingalls
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
carolineingalls

Number of posts : 1209
Mood : what do you say??? - Page 2 Pbucket

PostSubject: Re: what do you say???   what do you say??? - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 28, 2007 4:43 pm

Definitely Merry Christmas.

You can have 'Happy Holidays' any time but Christmas only comes once a year and I'm all for it being Merry!

what do you say??? - Page 2 MaureenKeeper

"To change your life takes a lot of courage and energy. It's not for wimps." Karen Grassle. April 2006
Back to top Go down
LM
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
LM

Number of posts : 812
Mood : what do you say??? - Page 2 Party010

PostSubject: Re: what do you say???   what do you say??? - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 02, 2007 5:37 am

I've been saying Merry Christmas since I was old enough to talk, but in the past 2-3 years, I've become more aware of all the people in the world who don't celebrate Christmas, but do celebrate a similar holiday during the season. So, I have no problem with saying Happy Holidays. I say both! Besides, when you say that, it includes New Year's. I just don't see any harm in saying Happy Holiday's, when you yourself know you're all about celebrating and saying Merry Christmas to your own family and friends.

A friend of mine really made me angry over this topic three years ago. He was bragging about how his minister wanted his church members to boycott Wal-Mart because they were greeting people with "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas". I told him that his minister was in the wrong and that he of all people should be willing to accept the fact that not everyone celebrates Christmas, and to wish those who celebrate Hannukah (sp), Kwanza (sp), or other, would feel slighted if no one recognized their holiday, and had the greeting of "Merry Christmas" thrust upon them every time they entered or exited a public place. So, in order to greet everyone for a specific holiday and try not to offend, I feel that "Happy Holidays" is the best way to go when you don't know a person's religion/views. My friend said he'd never thought of it that way, and would mention it to his minister. I don't know if he ever did.

I was in the mall on Saturday, and two different women wished me a merry Christmas. I thought it was so sweet that by one being a stranger and shopping beside me wished it to me, and the other, being a clerk, may have done it because of store policy, or out of the kindness of her heart. I appreciate them both for it. But, neither of them knew if I celebrated Christmas or not. What if I'm Jewish, African, Asian, and I don't celebrate Christmas? I'm not at all offended when someone does wish me a happy holiday, because I know that I celebrate Christmas. I know what's in my heart. It's nicer to get a "Happy Holiday" from a stranger who is unsure of what I celebrate, rather than being snubbed the whole holiday season because they're afraid they'll offend me by saing "Merry Christmas".

So, like I said, I've gotten to where I say both. I do say "Merry Christmas" more often since I've been saying it for at least 38 years. If you hadn't noticed lately, more and more greeting cards have "Happy Holidays" on/in them. This way, most everyone can get a card and not be left out.

I'll hush now.

what do you say??? - Page 2 LMKeeper

dreamNwish Photo Art & Gifts - http://www.zazzle.com/dreamnwish_photo_art

"If you can't be good, be good at it."
Back to top Go down
http://hisbadgeherbadgefanfiction.bravehost.com/index.html
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
what do you say??? - Page 2 Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428
Mood : what do you say??? - Page 2 Happy010

PostSubject: Re: what do you say???   what do you say??? - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 04, 2007 2:03 pm

I don't really have a problem with anybody saying "Happy Holidays". (Though, I don't know anyone around here who does) What I have a problem with is people being banned from saying "Merry Christmas". And it is happening in some areas. Not for the general public - but for employees. People can have a merry Christmas even if they don't celebrate it. The day comes whether they celebrate it or not. Hanukah and Kwanza come whether we celebrate it or not. This year, I had about a dozen people wish me a "Happy Halloween!". I don't celebrate Halloween, but I'm not going to grouch someone out for wishing me well. And I'm not going to sue my neighbors or my city for having Halloween decorations up.

I won't buy "Holiday" cards, because I want to send Christmas cards. Those who want holiday cards can have at 'em. Cool

And you don't need to hush, LM. Cool Nobody's going to beat you down for having a slightly different opinion. I just feel very strongly that people shouldn't be discriminated against because they celebrate Christmas. And taking Christmas away and replacing it with a generic title of "Holiday" is offensive to me. So, I choose not to buy those things that are generically holiday items.
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665

PostSubject: Re: what do you say???   what do you say??? - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 04, 2007 4:44 pm

I haven't heard merry christmas too much... around my area a lot of people say Happy Holidays more often because ... as stated before... the greeting seems to include everyone, no matter what your beliefs are and around here there are people who celebrate or do different kind of things around this time. There are also a lot of cards for Chrismukkah (celebration of christmas & Channukah together).

what do you say??? - Page 2 Horses10

Last edited by on Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what do you say???   what do you say??? - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 04, 2007 7:29 pm

There are some who say the generic ' Happy Holidays', 'Seasons Greetings' greetings strips the religous meaning from one of the most important Christian holidays, and that carol-free " holiday ' parties at school or at work don't hold a candle as saying Merry Christmas.

Others say it's simply a matter of respecting the growing numbers of Americans who aren't Christian. According to the American Religous Identification Servey in 1990, nearly 87% of people in the U.S indentified themselves as Christians. By 2001 the lastest year for which figures are available the number had fallen to 76.5%.

More and more cities are referring to their events as 'holiday events' to include all residents. Also there are people in most public work places such as schools who are often afraid to express their thoughts and ideas for fear they'll get jumped on by oversensitive folks who have different thoughts and ideas.
Typically when I hear 'Happy Holidays' and anything else watered down at a grocery store or wherever I'm at, I respond with eye contact and a 'Merry Christmas'. If you celebrate other holidays this time of year, or none at all, that's fine with me.

I celebrate just one of them, however, and , that's the one I'll reference to. I appreciate any and all greetings I get at any store just as long as that person giving it actually means it.
Back to top Go down
LM
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
LM

Number of posts : 812
Mood : what do you say??? - Page 2 Party010

PostSubject: Re: what do you say???   what do you say??? - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 07, 2007 4:46 am

Savannah wrote:
I don't really have a problem with anybody saying "Happy Holidays". (Though, I don't know anyone around here who does) What I have a problem with is people being banned from saying "Merry Christmas". And it is happening in some areas. Not for the general public - but for employees. People can have a merry Christmas even if they don't celebrate it. The day comes whether they celebrate it or not. Hanukah and Kwanza come whether we celebrate it or not. This year, I had about a dozen people wish me a "Happy Halloween!". I don't celebrate Halloween, but I'm not going to grouch someone out for wishing me well. And I'm not going to sue my neighbors or my city for having Halloween decorations up.

I won't buy "Holiday" cards, because I want to send Christmas cards. Those who want holiday cards can have at 'em. Cool

And you don't need to hush, LM. Cool Nobody's going to beat you down for having a slightly different opinion. I just feel very strongly that people shouldn't be discriminated against because they celebrate Christmas. And taking Christmas away and replacing it with a generic title of "Holiday" is offensive to me. So, I choose not to buy those things that are generically holiday items.

Thanks, Savannah. Wave

I was buying Christmas cards last week, and I found myself trying to pick out some that said "Happy Holidays". Then I thought about it.... if those I send say "Merry Christmas", then so be it. I was brought up to celebrate Christmas, and I still do. I'm supposed to be happy during this season, too, right? I was trying to take into consideration of the feelings/celebrations of others....trying not to leave anyone out. It's great to consider others, but not so much if you have to change something about yourself, especially if that something isn't hurting others. I bought cards that said "Season's Greetings" on the outside and "Merry Christmas & Happy New Year" on the inside. Thumbsup

So, when I do say Happy Holidays, I'm still taking others into consideration, but at the same time, I guess someone might feel slighted that I said that, rather than Merry Christmas to them. I can't win for losing! No

what do you say??? - Page 2 LMKeeper

dreamNwish Photo Art & Gifts - http://www.zazzle.com/dreamnwish_photo_art

"If you can't be good, be good at it."
Back to top Go down
http://hisbadgeherbadgefanfiction.bravehost.com/index.html
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665

PostSubject: Re: what do you say???   what do you say??? - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 07, 2007 12:19 pm

Just say what you feel in your heart.... if the person gets offended... it's their problem lol If they respond w/ saying 'I don't believe in christmas, etc...', just say Happy Holidays... if they still get offended say you are not trying to kill them grinsmiley

Just like the Halloween example Savannah used... if people wish me Happy Halloween I just say thank you... I don't celebrate it but I'm not about to get offended w/ someone for wishing me happy halloween, etc...

what do you say??? - Page 2 Horses10
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what do you say???   what do you say??? - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 13, 2007 9:08 pm

Exactly. I wrote "Happy Holidays" on a card the other day. But other than that, Merry Christmas all the way!

This guy at a restaurant told us Merry Christmas the other day. I was so happy, lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: what do you say???   what do you say??? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

what do you say???
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Little House on the Prairie :: Walnut Grove Community :: Town Gossip-
Jump to: