Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

"THE LONG WINTER"

Go down 
+14
Honeybee
Krissy
laurasangel
Savannah
Kristina
Rhonda
Prairie Dweller
Gin
Farmer Girl
bethandmanly
Vanesa
Prairie Wind
ChristinaAL
Carol
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

"THE LONG WINTER" - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: The Long Winter   "THE LONG WINTER" - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 01, 2008 1:56 am

It looks like I got here about 5 months late for this discussion!
I would like to add that "The Long Winter" is one of my favorites, too. Though this family went through a very difficult winter, they worked together and became closer as a result of it. I love the way each member of the family does what needs to be done without complaining! You can't always say that for families today! We are all so spoiled! Laura taught school even though she hated it...because she loved her sister and wanted to help her through college. Almanzo risked his life to help his friends, not many people now days would do that either. Through it all, the Ingalls family managed to make the best of things and have joy in each other. This book teaches a valuable lesson for us today!
Back to top Go down
Farmer Girl
Li'l Miss Milk Maid
Li'l Miss Milk Maid
Farmer Girl

Number of posts : 2578
Mood : "THE LONG WINTER" - Page 2 Goodsi10

PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 01, 2008 5:56 pm

:DittoS:

"THE LONG WINTER" - Page 2 FGKeeper

~ Home is the nicest word there is ~

"THE LONG WINTER" - Page 2 Little
Back to top Go down
Gin
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Gin

Number of posts : 5920
Mood : "THE LONG WINTER" - Page 2 Love-s10

PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 06, 2008 1:28 pm

I'm late too Sabrina---guess I didnt post much a few months ago. The Long Winter is a book I used to read almost every summer. I guess to keep "cool ". LOL
This is my favorite of them all. It just shows the good that comes from working together and it displayed the beginning of Manly and Laura's relationship. I've read up on this winter (I think 1869-70) it was many months of blizzards and very little food. BUT no one died. I can imagine how nice it must have been to see springtime!

"THE LONG WINTER" - Page 2 Project2

It is the lack of Christianity that has  brought us where we are. Not a lack of churches or religious forms but of the real thing in our hearts.  LIW.....Words From a Fearless Heart
Back to top Go down
Prairie Wind
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
Prairie Wind

Number of posts : 1369

PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2008 7:13 am

Isn't it amazing how no one died during the long Winter and no one in the Ingalls family even got sick? I think the severe cold must have frozen all the germs! But... Carrie did seem to become even more fragile as a result. With her head aches and weakness afterward, I wonder if she was anemic.

I sure would like to know how the Boasts made it through in their claim shanty....

🎻
Back to top Go down
http://toknowhimmore.blogspot.com/
Prairie Dweller
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
Prairie Dweller

Number of posts : 853
Mood : "THE LONG WINTER" - Page 2 Happy010

PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 10, 2008 10:56 am

I remember the first time I read this book I was so afraid that Carrie was going to die!

I'm currently reading this book and have about a fourth of the book to go yet.

I like Laura and Pa's discussion about the muskrat on page thirteen (Make Hay While the Sun Shines). It's a very interesting and though provoking conversation.

I always feel so sorry for Almanzo when Lady gets away from Mr. Foster. I think it's quite amazing that the townspeople didn't seem to become extremely angry with Mr. Foster. If that would've happened today, there would've been some fireworks!

I'll comment more when I finish reading the book. :)

"THE LONG WINTER" - Page 2 PDKeeper
Back to top Go down
http://avonleavignettes.com
Prairie Wind
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
Prairie Wind

PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 10, 2008 1:13 pm

Prairie Dweller wrote:
I always feel so sorry for Almanzo when Lady gets away from Mr. Foster. I think it's quite amazing that the townspeople didn't seem to become extremely angry with Mr. Foster. If that would've happened today, there would've been some fireworks!

Same here! I wonder if they did get angrier then Laura let on. Maybe Laura or her publishers didn't think it would be appropriate... ??? But then, she has other "angry" scenes in the book so... I don't know. Foster did butcher his cow later though. Maybe he told them he would do so that same day and that smoothed things over with all the men. Wouldn't you love to be able to ask Laura such questions?
Back to top Go down
Prairie Dweller
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
Prairie Dweller

PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 11, 2008 10:12 am

lol Yes, I would!

I finished reading the book last night.

I love the suspense of Almanzo and Cap's trip. Even though I've read the book multiple times, it's still very exciting.

There are several things in this book that I really would like to see. One being the button candle and the other being the twists of hay. I don't fully understand the button candle.

I also like how ingenious Ma is when it comes to baking with very little of the correct ingredients.

I also have a question. Laura and Almanzo are really ten years apart, but by the end of this book Laura is fourteen and Almanzo is nineteen. Does anyone know why Laura changed the age gap between them?

Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21215
Mood : "THE LONG WINTER" - Page 2 Purple2

PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 11, 2008 10:21 am

Laura didn't think the wide age difference would go over well with the parents of the children reading her books, so she brought the ages a little closer together. Those who would turn into true fans of Laura Ingalls Wilder would no doubt go on to study about her and learn of the difference. Back then, age wasn't a big factor, but in the early 1950's it was.........also, it was Ma who had the problem with the age difference of Almanzo and Laura, not Pa..... batEyes

"THE LONG WINTER" - Page 2 Rhonda10"THE LONG WINTER" - Page 2 Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
Prairie Dweller
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
Prairie Dweller

PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 11, 2008 11:56 am

Okie-dokie, thanks! I thought that it'd probably have something to do with it not going over well with the parents, but I wasn't certain. Thanks! :)

Back to top Go down
Prairie Wind
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
Prairie Wind

PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 11, 2008 12:46 pm

I am terrible with remembering numbers but it seems to me that I have read a few different age difference quotes concerning L&A. I finally gave up trying to figure it out!

I was very disapointed that the DeSmet Little House gift shop was out of hay twists. They might have some now though. I really wanted to feel one and buy one for our history center.

I saw detailed directions for making the button light but I can't remember where. You might find an image if you Google it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 12:24 am

I think the portrayal of absolute dispair of the Ingalls family was wonderful in this book .When Laura and Carrie have to get home from school due to the blizzard i found it disturbing that when they did finally arrive home Pa was just leaving to go get them ,,,,,would have thought as soon as sky changed color he would have figured they could be in some trouble and needed him ....Just my thoughts
Back to top Go down
Prairie Wind
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
Prairie Wind

PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 7:46 am

Hmmm... That never occurred to me. I guess in my mind, the fact is firmly established that Pa can do no wrong! Laughing Of course he could, though. Some would call him irresponsible for dragging his family all over the country, making them live in a dug out, etc. but... Pa is my hero so I know he must have had his reasons. How's that sound?

:kitty:

"THE LONG WINTER" - Page 2 Hollykeeper
Back to top Go down
Kristina
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Kristina

Number of posts : 7892
Mood : "THE LONG WINTER" - Page 2 Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 10:20 am

I've been reading this one for a couple days and so far I like it.
Back to top Go down
Prairie Wind
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
Prairie Wind

PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 12:36 pm

Oh good! I'm glad you like it. Some would say it gets dreary but I find it inspirational.

Back to top Go down
Kristina
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Kristina

Number of posts : 7892

PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 9:37 pm

I'm reading this book and I'm really enjoying it. I think it's really cool how they were able to survive such a hard winter
Back to top Go down
Prairie Wind
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
Prairie Wind

PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 25, 2008 6:38 am

I like to read it in the Winter. It makes any Winter (other than theirs) seem easy!

Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21215
Mood : "THE LONG WINTER" - Page 2 Purple2

PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 25, 2008 12:20 pm

"THE LONG WINTER" - Page 2 150px-Train_stuck_in_snow
Picture of a train stuck in the snow in southern Minnesota on March 29, 1881. The Ingalls' Christmas package and mail would've been stuck on this train or a train similar to this one.......can you imagine digging it out of the snow??? OhMy

"THE LONG WINTER" - Page 2 Rhonda10"THE LONG WINTER" - Page 2 Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
Prairie Wind
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
Prairie Wind

PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 25, 2008 1:09 pm

I love it! That picture really makes it real doesn't it?

Back to top Go down
Prairie Dweller
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
Prairie Dweller

PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 26, 2008 12:38 pm

Yikes! No, I can't! That's really quite amazing! My area got over one hundred inches of snow last winter, but it's nothing compared to that picture!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 27, 2008 5:39 am

Thanks Rhonda ...where we live it has never snowed so this picture helps me related much better.....one day we hope to travel a bit and see snow
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 4:31 pm

bethandmanly:

Your review of the Long Winter was wonderful! I thought this book depicted prarie life like I never had seen it in the other books. I learned a lot about the effects of nature just by her descriptions of the thick-walled muskrat homes or when Pa couldn't even find one goose or duck on the lake. What seems to have drawn me in more to this book is when I constantly wondered if DeSmet will actually make it through that winter and I'm glad they did! I read somewhere that the because of Laura's precise weather-related accounts of the Long Winter, her book has been used as a resource in a college course on Early American history. Newhere
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
"THE LONG WINTER" - Page 2 Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54429

PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 11:33 pm

Welcome, cinnamonchicken! Wave
Back to top Go down
laurasangel
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
laurasangel

Number of posts : 13
Mood : "THE LONG WINTER" - Page 2 5_sad10

PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 7:45 am

my old teacher used to read the entire series to us in the third grade but only i have recently read it for myself. I keep wondering what phenomon in nature would cause a winter like that since Man didn't do it and there were no powerful volcanic eruption around that time

"she shall be free and welcome to explore the Galaxy i have reclaimed for our species" Imperator Jeremy on the fate of Laura Ingalls Wilder

"A living thing seeks above all to discharge its strength--life itself is will to power, nothing else matters" Nietzsche
Back to top Go down
bethandmanly
Dean's Dedicated Diva
Dean's Dedicated Diva
bethandmanly

Number of posts : 7600

PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 8:33 am

Well, that's true, but judging by the horrible winter we had in New England this year, weather can be a freaky thing. We set a new record for snowfall in January. I don't remember it being as cold this year as it has been in past years. Then this month we got hit with a load of rain, which on an already soaked ground was not good. Today it's going to hit 60 and tomorrow it will go past that.

Keeper photo KeeperofAlmanzosHat-1.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://ccmalandrinos.com/
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136

PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 11:48 pm

Yep. It's like long hard winters are here to stay. In my country, Argentina and in Europe too, we are experiencign really hard winters.Summers are not so fierce lately. Maybe we have one or two days of extreme heat but no more than that. Winters are hard and c-c-cold in my cuntry the EEUU and Europe. It happens time to time. scratchead

Vanesa.

"THE LONG WINTER" - Page 2 Vanesa10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "THE LONG WINTER"   "THE LONG WINTER" - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

"THE LONG WINTER"
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next