Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

"THE FIRST FOUR YEARS"

Go down 
+8
Honeybee
Prairie Dweller
Prairie Wind
Vanesa
LIWnut
Misti
ChristinaAL
Carol
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

Number of posts : 8665
Mood : "THE FIRST FOUR YEARS" Happy010

"THE FIRST FOUR YEARS" Empty
PostSubject: "THE FIRST FOUR YEARS"   "THE FIRST FOUR YEARS" EmptyTue Feb 13, 2007 12:02 am

"THE FIRST FOUR YEARS"

"THE FIRST FOUR YEARS" 9thBook

Laura and Almanzo Wilder have just been married! Their life on a small prairie homestead begins with high hopes. But each year seems to bring unexpected disasters -- storms, sickness, fire, and unpaid debts. These first four years call for courage, strength, and a great deal of determination. Always, though, there is love, especially for the newest member of the family -- baby Rose.

===============

This thread is for discussing "The First Four Years".

"THE FIRST FOUR YEARS" Horses10
Back to top Go down
ChristinaAL
Little House Lady
Little House Lady
ChristinaAL

Number of posts : 2761

PostSubject: Re: "THE FIRST FOUR YEARS"   "THE FIRST FOUR YEARS" EmptySun Feb 18, 2007 12:29 pm

I love reading about Laura and Almanzo's early married life. It seems to pick up where "These Happy Golden Years" leaves off - it even overlaps a bit in some cases, but I like it. The one chapter about how Laura cooked dinner for the men and forgot to put the sugar in the pie was sweet I thought - Laura was so embaressed and the one man - I forget who - just said, "I like it; this way I can put as much sugar as I'd like" or something to make her feel better.

It's also very dark in contrast to her other books. It seems like one bad thing after another keeps happening to the poor newlywed couple! I feel terrible for them by the end. I wish Laura had written at least one more, maybe about their journey to Missouri or something, so we knew they were okay. But I guess that's what we can get from "The Rose Years", even though they're not the same as Laura's own words.

"THE FIRST FOUR YEARS" ChristinaKeeper2 "THE FIRST FOUR YEARS" 10bChristina

"It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong."
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

PostSubject: Re: "THE FIRST FOUR YEARS"   "THE FIRST FOUR YEARS" EmptySun Feb 18, 2007 3:21 pm

I have not read this book but am planning to :study:

Back to top Go down
ChristinaAL
Little House Lady
Little House Lady
ChristinaAL

PostSubject: Re: "THE FIRST FOUR YEARS"   "THE FIRST FOUR YEARS" EmptySun Feb 18, 2007 3:27 pm

Oops, sorry Carol! I hope I didn't ruin it with any spoilers...affraid LOL

"It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong."
Back to top Go down
Carol
Adventure Seeker
Carol

PostSubject: Re: "THE FIRST FOUR YEARS"   "THE FIRST FOUR YEARS" EmptySun Feb 18, 2007 3:58 pm

No way Christina... as soon as you started mentioning a little bit about it, I skipped your post! Laughing

I just did a spoiler paragraph, If you want to see, just click the spoiler line section, and my writing appears :CoolSign:

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Misti
Red Hummingbird
Red Hummingbird
Misti

Number of posts : 4112

PostSubject: Re: "THE FIRST FOUR YEARS"   "THE FIRST FOUR YEARS" EmptySun Feb 18, 2007 4:39 pm

That is so cool, Carol! This forum has some neat things on it.

I did notice that The FFYs seemed to be in a different style of writing than the other books. Also, when they are discussing the marriage, it seems to be two different stories between THGY and The FFY.

"THE FIRST FOUR YEARS" Hummer"THE FIRST FOUR YEARS" MistiKeeper"THE FIRST FOUR YEARS" Bookclub5"THE FIRST FOUR YEARS" Rose
"I would fight for you - I'd lie for you - walk the wire for you - ya I'd die for you..."
Back to top Go down
ChristinaAL
Little House Lady
Little House Lady
ChristinaAL

PostSubject: Re: "THE FIRST FOUR YEARS"   "THE FIRST FOUR YEARS" EmptyMon Feb 19, 2007 1:09 am

Carol wrote:
No way Christina... as soon as you started mentioning a little bit about it, I skipped your post! Laughing

I just did a spoiler paragraph, If you want to see, just click the spoiler line section, and my writing appears :CoolSign:

Spoiler:

Cool! I never knew that before.

Spoiler:

Thanks, Carol! :cpatch:

Back to top Go down
LIWnut
Proverbs 3:5-6
Proverbs 3:5-6
LIWnut

Number of posts : 2539
Mood : "THE FIRST FOUR YEARS" Cloud910

PostSubject: Re: "THE FIRST FOUR YEARS"   "THE FIRST FOUR YEARS" EmptyTue Feb 20, 2007 8:25 pm

The first time I read The First Four Years I didn't like it. I had just finished reading the entire series and this book was just written so differently that I just didn't like it. I learned later that this book was published after Laura's death. It was found in Laura's posessions and it was probably never edited. That is why it read so different than her other books. With that in mind, it didn't seem as bad.:study:

"THE FIRST FOUR YEARS" MarilynKeeper "THE FIRST FOUR YEARS" Bookclub2
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "THE FIRST FOUR YEARS"   "THE FIRST FOUR YEARS" EmptyWed Aug 08, 2007 4:54 pm

I am not crazy about this one, especially the part where Mr. and Mrs. Boast try to take Rose! It's like reading about a different family entierly. It's a shame it's not like the others.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "THE FIRST FOUR YEARS"   "THE FIRST FOUR YEARS" EmptyMon Aug 27, 2007 5:45 pm

This was a great book. When it ended, I wanted more, for sure.
Back to top Go down
Vanesa
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Vanesa

Number of posts : 5136
Mood : "THE FIRST FOUR YEARS" Bokmal10

PostSubject: Re: "THE FIRST FOUR YEARS"   "THE FIRST FOUR YEARS" EmptyTue Aug 28, 2007 7:38 pm

fredsredhead66 wrote:
I am not crazy about this one, especially the part where Mr. and Mrs. Boast try to take Rose! It's like reading about a different family entierly. It's a shame it's not like the others.

Well, Laura died before she could edite this book. She would edite all the other ones. There is a very common opinion about this affair: she must have written it ,slightly after Almanzo's death and then, she was so depressed that never care for it any more. The manuscript was found by Rose herself much later her mother was dead and she didn't want to publish it. Maybe for she was so different from the rest of the set. The book was published (I think) in 1974, even after Rose's death.

The book IS different from the others, for it IS really referring to another family. The other eight books were related to the Ingallses, "TFFY" is about the Wilders. Remember that Laura married almanzo and went away on her own.

As for the fact of the Boast trying to get Rose...this was VERY common. Believe me. Did you remember when Laura must experience something similar when her family was living in Iowa? Of course, Caroline smiled to the lady who wanted Laura and said she couldn't possibily live without her daughter. My own great-grandma when travelling from Spain to Argentina, was asked by another family as their daughter. She was only two and they were delighted with her golden curls and blue eyes and smiles. But her mother wouldn't let her go. She was HER daughter and not anyone else's.

Vanesa.

"THE FIRST FOUR YEARS" Vanesa10
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "THE FIRST FOUR YEARS"   "THE FIRST FOUR YEARS" EmptyWed Aug 29, 2007 9:46 pm

I loved this book
Back to top Go down
Prairie Wind
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
Prairie Wind

Number of posts : 1369

PostSubject: Re: "THE FIRST FOUR YEARS"   "THE FIRST FOUR YEARS" EmptySat Sep 08, 2007 7:53 am

I wish Laura could have edited this book.
I'm sure it would have been happier if she would have.
There were some fun parts- such as Roses' antics,
Laura playing in the snow and the horse back riding...

I agree about the part with the Boasts!
They were such a fun couple in the other books!
Laura probably would have left that part out in the final manuscript!

Holly
Back to top Go down
http://toknowhimmore.blogspot.com/
Prairie Dweller
Prairie Settler
Prairie Settler
Prairie Dweller

Number of posts : 853

PostSubject: Re: "THE FIRST FOUR YEARS"   "THE FIRST FOUR YEARS" EmptySat Jul 19, 2008 12:59 pm

I'll comment more when I finish rereading the book, but I have one question... Does anyone know if Laura planned to write more books after The First Four Years?

"THE FIRST FOUR YEARS" PDKeeper
Back to top Go down
http://avonleavignettes.com
Prairie Wind
Farm Land Owner
Farm Land Owner
Prairie Wind

Number of posts : 1369

PostSubject: Re: "THE FIRST FOUR YEARS"   "THE FIRST FOUR YEARS" EmptySat Jul 19, 2008 2:24 pm

My understanding was that Laura said she was finished and that no one even knew about the First Four Years until they found it in her belongings after her death.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong

"THE FIRST FOUR YEARS" Hollykeeper
Back to top Go down
http://toknowhimmore.blogspot.com/
Honeybee
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
Honeybee

Number of posts : 3565

PostSubject: Re: "THE FIRST FOUR YEARS"   "THE FIRST FOUR YEARS" EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 2:30 pm

I love reading this book. I never get tired of reading this.

wootwoot
Back to top Go down
jessicamarie
New Pioneer
New Pioneer
jessicamarie

Number of posts : 142

PostSubject: The First Four Years   "THE FIRST FOUR YEARS" EmptyWed Jul 19, 2017 7:20 pm

Hey, all!

I have not been on this forum for probably five years, so I doubt anyone will remember me. But here I am once again! Lately, I've been on a little Laura Ingalls Wilder kick for the first time in quite a while. I had just finally gotten around to reading Pioneer Girl; The Annotated Autobiography and I have a few questions I doubt anyone could answer, or has even thought about other than Super-Fans like the ones on this website.

Basically, I noticed that in The First Four Years, Laura refers to Almanzo as Manly, like she does in Pioneer Girl. At first, I thought this might be an indicator that it was originally written as a sequel to her first autobigraphy, but, after looking through The First Four Years again, I realized it couldn't have been. For one thing, it's written in third person unlike Pioneer Girl and for another it's way way way more well written. It's a cohesive story with themes and a plot that runs through it, while Pioneer Girl seems to be more of a jumbled mess (it was her first book, her first draft; no shade at Laura). On the other hand, I don't believe it was a ninth book in the series because of the Manly/Almanzo thing I mentioned earlier and because it seems to be written more for adults than for children.

So, because of the fact that The First Four Years was published after Laura's lifetime I am wondering when and who really wrote it. Have any of you thought about this, and do you have any theories? Some believe Rose was Laura's ghostwriter for the series, is it possible she single-handedly wrote this book? I would love to hear some more opinions on this.
Back to top Go down
LauraIngallsfan
"Psalm 73"
"THE FIRST FOUR YEARS" MatthewRank
LauraIngallsfan

Number of posts : 9265

PostSubject: Re: "THE FIRST FOUR YEARS"   "THE FIRST FOUR YEARS" EmptyFri Jul 21, 2017 3:38 pm

I would have to do some digging to be sure of everything, but as I understood it, The First Four Years was unfinished - Laura never published it. Someone finished writing it/published it after both Laura and Rose died.

Nice to meet you! Wave

“I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.”  - Laura Ingalls Wilder

"THE FIRST FOUR YEARS" Laurai10
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/mylittlehouselibrary/
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21159
Mood : "THE FIRST FOUR YEARS" Purple2

PostSubject: Re: "THE FIRST FOUR YEARS"   "THE FIRST FOUR YEARS" EmptyFri Jul 21, 2017 4:12 pm

Here is some info on The First Four Years that I found.  Answers many questions about the book and the writings of Laura.

The First Four Years

"THE FIRST FOUR YEARS" Thefir10

"THE FIRST FOUR YEARS" Rhonda10"THE FIRST FOUR YEARS" Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
forn
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 6

PostSubject: Re: "THE FIRST FOUR YEARS"   "THE FIRST FOUR YEARS" EmptyWed Aug 31, 2022 12:02 am

Just finished this one, which finishes the series of nine for me. This one was shorter, of course, but I enjoyed it as well as the rest of them. Wow, they had some lousy luck. And that bit with the Boasts wanting the baby was pretty weird.

One thing that surprises me, Laura always seemed so close to her father, but Pa is barely in this one. Her mother gets involved a bit more, but the birthings probably have something to do with that. Or maybe now that Laura was a young wife, she could relate to her mother more?

Not sure if I am going to read further. I'm thinking about getting the other book about the Long Winter (The Beautiful Snow). Any other suggestions that would make for good further reading? Pioneer Girl perhaps?
Back to top Go down
LauraIngallsfan
"Psalm 73"
LauraIngallsfan

PostSubject: Re: "THE FIRST FOUR YEARS"   "THE FIRST FOUR YEARS" EmptyFri Aug 18, 2023 6:55 pm

forn wrote:
Not sure if I am going to read further.  I'm thinking about getting the other book about the Long Winter (The Beautiful Snow).  Any other suggestions that would make for good further reading?  Pioneer Girl perhaps?

I absolutely would recommend Pioneer Girl. One of the best Little House books out there because its her original text as she intended to write it. Its more accurate.

“I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.”  - Laura Ingalls Wilder

Back to top Go down
forn
New Pioneer
New Pioneer

Number of posts : 6

PostSubject: Re: "THE FIRST FOUR YEARS"   "THE FIRST FOUR YEARS" EmptyFri Aug 18, 2023 9:17 pm

LauraIngallsfan wrote:
I absolutely would recommend Pioneer Girl. One of the best Little House books out there because its her original text as she intended to write it. Its more accurate.
Does that mean that it hasn't been edited or rewritten by Rose?

I did pick up The Beautiful Snow, by the way, but I haven't read it yet. I have a stack of books to read that I've been working my way through, and it's in there.
Back to top Go down
LauraIngallsfan
"Psalm 73"
LauraIngallsfan

PostSubject: Re: "THE FIRST FOUR YEARS"   "THE FIRST FOUR YEARS" EmptySat Aug 19, 2023 12:22 am

Correct. Its what Laura first wrote and wanted to publish but the publisher wouldn’t publish it. Then rose did her edits to make what we know as the little house books.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "THE FIRST FOUR YEARS"   "THE FIRST FOUR YEARS" Empty

Back to top Go down

"THE FIRST FOUR YEARS"
Page 1 of 1