Little House on the Prairie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Salad

Go down 
+5
Misti
pamh36
Savannah
JW
Lily
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Lily
"Beautiful Life"
Salad LilyRank2
Lily

Number of posts : 6784
Mood : Salad Vianne10

Salad Empty
PostSubject: Salad   Salad EmptyMon Mar 17, 2008 12:53 pm

As I’m here on my lunch break, I’m having my salad. I love salad; I bring salad for lunch about 3 times a week. There are so many different varieties of salad that you can make. So that leads me to this idea as to what stuff do you put in your salad…besides the fact that I’m just extremely nosy. grinsmiley

I prefer romaine lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers and shredded carrots, I also put olives (black or green), croutons, dried orange flavored cranberries (gives a sweet tangy taste), sometimes chic peas, avocados, and/or hard boiled egg. I have a few favorite dressings: ranch, raspberry vinaigrette, and cesar salad dressing. YUM!! :PizzaNight:

Uh oh, lunch break is almost over, gotta go back to work. I'll sneak back in later. :shh3:

"Within the heart of every stray, lies the singular desire to be loved."
Back to top Go down
JW
Isaiah Edwards
Isaiah Edwards
JW

Number of posts : 9016
Mood : Salad Happy011

Salad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Salad   Salad EmptyMon Mar 17, 2008 12:58 pm

I Usally just do lettuce, tomatoes avocados and little bit of Mayo

Salad Jacobk10Salad Jacob210
Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Salad Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428
Mood : Salad Happy010

Salad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Salad   Salad EmptyMon Mar 17, 2008 12:59 pm

I love salad! I like fresh spinach leaves in my salad, as well as lettuce. If I'm home, I like a little onion in there, too. grinsmiley I don't always do a bunch of extras, but if I'm getting creative, and adding what I really love, then I could add Olives, shredded carrot, cucumbers, fresh mushrooms, a little bit of tomato, a bit of shredded cheese........And my absolute favorite dressing is Ranch. (Actually, Lily.......I think my taste runs quite similar to your's where salads are concerned. Your salad sounds fabulous!)
Back to top Go down
pamh36
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
pamh36

Number of posts : 5900

Salad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Salad   Salad EmptyMon Mar 17, 2008 3:15 pm

Usually when I make a salad at home, it's just lettuce, cucumber, carrot and tomatoes. Sometimes I have extra toppings for anyone who may want some, like croutons, shredded cheese, or bacon bits.

I almost always top my salad with ranch dressing.

One of my favorite salads is greek salad. I love the feta cheese, beets and olives.

I do sometimes like egg or sunflower seeds in my salad as well. Or, some grilled chicken, to make it a meal.

Oh, that reminds me of another favorite salad. One of Wendy's salads, with the chicken, and the mandarin oranges.

Salad PamKeeper
Back to top Go down
Misti
Red Hummingbird
Red Hummingbird
Misti

Number of posts : 4112

Salad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Salad   Salad EmptyMon Mar 17, 2008 5:37 pm

I love salads, too, and tend to stay away from the iceburg lettuce and stick with romaine. I love the spinach leaves, too, boiled egg, cukes, brocolli, califlower, the stuff that looks like grass, a few black olives, tomatoes (the tomato ones are great), crutons, sunflower seeds, bacon bits, mushrooms, cheese, just slather it all on there. Whatever is available (almost anything) I'm game, and, of course, Hidden Valley ranch dressing.

I've never tried avacado on it. I'll have to some time! ☮

Salad HummerSalad MistiKeeperSalad Bookclub5Salad Rose
"I would fight for you - I'd lie for you - walk the wire for you - ya I'd die for you..."
Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : Salad Love-s10

Salad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Salad   Salad EmptyMon Mar 17, 2008 6:17 pm

Misti wrote:
I love salads, too, and tend to stay away from the iceburg lettuce and stick with romaine.

Me too, Misti! I had to get used to it, because I ate iceberg since I was a kid, but I now prefer the romaine so much more, and it's much healthier too! Thumbsup

My favorite dressing is Paul Newman's "Lighten Up" Vinagrette. Tasty! :shifty:

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
ChristinaAL
Little House Lady
Little House Lady
ChristinaAL

Number of posts : 2761

Salad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Salad   Salad EmptyMon Mar 17, 2008 6:24 pm

My salads from home are usually topped with just carrots and cucumbers, sometimes croutons or chick peas if I have them. If I'm getting one from a salad bar, then I really go crazy LOL - lettuce, carrots, cucumbers, shredded cheese, chick peas, mushrooms, green peas, croutons and sometimes bacon bits as well. Also, I usually eat my salad without dressing - and everyone thinks I'm weird for it! LOL, I just am not very fond of any particular dressing. If I'm at someone's house or a restaurant like the Olive Garden where the salad comes with dressing on it, I'll eat it, but given my choice, I'll leave it plain.
:unsure:

Salad ChristinaKeeper2 Salad 10bChristina

"It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong."
Back to top Go down
pamh36
Ingalls Friend for Life
Ingalls Friend for Life
pamh36

Number of posts : 5900

Salad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Salad   Salad EmptyMon Mar 17, 2008 6:36 pm

ChristinaAL wrote:
Also, I usually eat my salad without dressing - and everyone thinks I'm weird for it! LOL, I just am not very fond of any particular dressing. If I'm at someone's house or a restaurant like the Olive Garden where the salad comes with dressing on it, I'll eat it, but given my choice, I'll leave it plain.
:unsure:

I wish that I could eat my salad without dressing. The dressing is what will do you in. But I can't eat it without dressing. And it can't be lo-cal either. It's gotta be the stuff with all the fat in it for me, unfortunately.

Salad PamKeeper
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Prairie Survivor
Prairie Survivor
Rhonda

Number of posts : 21172
Mood : Salad Purple2

Salad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Salad   Salad EmptyMon Mar 17, 2008 6:39 pm

I eat salads all the time, in fact, if I don't have at least 3-4 salads a week, something is wrong......In the summer, I usually eat them Monday through Friday. I use the ruffle leaf lettuce and sometimes romaine, depending on the price. Wal*Mart has a wonderful coleslaw mix made from brocolli centers, cabbage centers (green and purple cabbage) and carrots all shedded and ready to use. I grill some chicken, cut it in bite size pieces, toss that in along with cheese, tomatoes, sunflower seeds and eggs if I have them. Jake is on a high protein diet and keeping eggs in the house is almost impossible. When the avocados are cheap, I buy some and toss them in as well. Spinach is also thrown in depending on the budget for the week. I used to use Ranch dressing until I saw the calories I was eating... OhMy So I switched over to Olive Oil Balsamic Dressing, which is rather tasty.....
Salad 12_4_64

Salad Rhonda10Salad Lauram10
CANCER FREE!!!  April 9, 1998-April 9, 2023-I AM A SURVIVOR!!!
Back to top Go down
Lily
"Beautiful Life"
Salad LilyRank2
Lily

Salad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Salad   Salad EmptyMon Mar 17, 2008 9:23 pm

I forgot to mention before, I also put mushrooms, green and red peppers sometimes. Normally, if we had chicken cutlets for dinner the night before, any leftover chicken will go into my salad, that would be my chicken salad for lunch the next day. If my mom makes her tea flavored hard boiled eggs, I would put them in my salad too, otherwise, it's just plain hard boiled eggs. LOL

Savannah wrote:
(Actually, Lily.......I think my taste runs quite similar to your's where salads are concerned. Your salad sounds fabulous!)

And we both love grapes. :haha:

pamh36 wrote:
Oh, that reminds me of another favorite salad. One of Wendy's salads, with the chicken, and the mandarin oranges.

Oh yes, Pam, I remember that salad from Wendy's. I sometimes buy a can of mandarin oranges and put them in my own salad too.

ChristinaAL wrote:
If I'm getting one from a salad bar, then I really go crazy LOL

LOL Christina, me too, especially when it's an all you can eat salad bar, I just pile everything on top of my plate, then go back for more. ROTFL

Back to top Go down
Savannah
"Psalm 34"
Salad Princesrank
Savannah

Number of posts : 54428

Salad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Salad   Salad EmptyMon Mar 17, 2008 9:34 pm

Oh, I LOVE those all you can eat salad bars!! Hmmmmmmm. . . . . maybe we should find one that's centrally located, and converge on it all together. :Hahaha:

Lily, what are tea flavored hard boiled eggs? And how do you make them?
Back to top Go down
Lily
"Beautiful Life"
Salad LilyRank2
Lily

Salad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Salad   Salad EmptyMon Mar 17, 2008 9:53 pm

Savannah wrote:
Lily, what are tea flavored hard boiled eggs? And how do you make them?

I found this recipe below, except my mom doesn't use orange peels. She uses soy sauce to darken it. It's a flavorful tasting eggs, I really like it.

http://coffeeworks.blogs.com/coffee_and_tea/2005/07/tea_eggs_a_cut_.html

Back to top Go down
Amy
Somewhere in Time
Somewhere in Time
Amy

Number of posts : 13417
Mood : Salad Love-s10

Salad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Salad   Salad EmptyMon Mar 17, 2008 10:06 pm

Rhonda wrote:
Wal*Mart has a wonderful coleslaw mix made from brocolli centers, cabbage centers (green and purple cabbage) and carrots all shedded and ready to use.Salad 12_4_64

Darn it!! I just came from Walmart, looked RIGHT at that mix, Rhonda, and left it there!!! Oh, WHY didn't I buy it?!?! Now I could kick myself!!! Love your smiley!

Pam, I was just like you at one time...couldn't eat salad without the Ranch, fully leaded. Wink Have you experimented with a lot of the 'better' brands out there? Paul Newman and Ken's are my favorite (Love Ken's rasberry Viniagrette), and there's also another yummy one with Sesame Ginger! Mmmmmm. It really took a lot of experiementing for me...don't buy the 'lite'---get the ones that still have calories (and sometimes even fat, depending on the dressing, like viniagrettes), but it's all about the sugar and carbs. I find with South Beach that I really don't miss those anymore when it comes to dressings! Now, the sesame ginger is full of sugar and even the ras viniagrette is higher...those are only for my occasional 'treat'. Wink But I used to but Kraft and T.Marzettis and others and couldn't stand those in the 'lites'. Just thought I'd throw that out there! Heck, my hubby was addicted to Thousand Island, and I've even switched HIM...never thought that would happen in a million years! ☮

About grilling meats to put on salads, I do too Rhonda! Not every day, but it's really not difficult with those indoor grills. And I only need a small portion so it's not too pricey. My latest thing is grilled salmon salads. To die for!!

Lily, those tea eggs are COOL!! They're so pretty!

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

~Mother Teresa
Back to top Go down
flatbroke
Man of Constant Sorrow
Man of Constant Sorrow
flatbroke

Number of posts : 2648
Mood : Salad Party010

Salad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Salad   Salad EmptyTue Mar 18, 2008 3:46 am

Mine's different every time. I just load it with whatever's on the salad bar.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Salad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Salad   Salad Empty

Back to top Go down

Salad
Page 1 of 1